5.0 out of 5 stars A55 is the camera I have been waiting for
I will not ramble on or quote anything technical as I am a photo hobbyist and just wanted the benefits of a dSLR with the benefits of a compact. There are a lot of professional reviews out there if that is what you need.

Published on 29 Dec. 2010 by F. McLean-Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, poor customer service
Published on 30 Oct. 2012 by e p woolsey

5.0 out of 5 stars A55 is the camera I have been waiting for, 29 Dec. 2010
F. McLean-Brown "Fred Bear" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLTA55V.CEH Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)

Viewfinder - is an EVF rather than optical viewfinder, which I prefer as you get a pretty good idea if things will be blown out or too dark, etc. Some people want optical but I prefer the compact style benefits an EVF offers such as shooting information such as you would normally only find on a dSLR rear screen. It automatically goes from screen to EVF when you bring it up to your face.

Video - is very good with constant auto focus (that is missing off many other dSLR's such as the Canon 550D). There is little option for manual set up for video but I tend to use it as a handy addition to a stills camera so am happy with what it does when I want video (using the video quick start button on the rear). Plus the EVF means you can video while looking through the viewfinder and getting the same view as the rear screen.

Articulated screen - is clear and turns to cover most shooting needs, not as articulated as some cameras have but pretty comprehensive for movement and the information you can view.

General controls - are good with an Auto+ setting that as well as having the normal normal auto functions includes HDR etc. The HDR/DRO button is handily placed on top alonside the main control knob that has the standard sort of advanced and beginner settings.

Size - is just right without the bulk of a 'normal' dSLR but with sufficient weight to keep it steady. I have a Sony 18-250 lens on it and the extra weight balances is nicely. With the small kit lens on it is a comaparable size/weight to a number of bridge cameras.

Photo quality - is almost as high as the 550D I used to have (although I am not a pixel peeper) and way higher than any compact or bridge camera especially in low light/high ISO.

GPS - is not particualry fast but it will use the last acquired position so if you are not moving far or are moving inside you can still geotag even if the position may be slightly off.

Battery power - is not brilliant so I bought 2 extra non Sony batteries on Amazon for about £13 each Ex-Pro Sony NP-FW50, NPFW50 High Power Plus+ - 2 Year Warranty Replacment Sony Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Sony NEX-3, NEX3, NEX-5, NEX5, Sony Alpha A-33, A33, A-55, A55, there are cheaper ones but these seem to last about the same as the Sony one.

Vs bridge and compact - I still carry a small pocket compact but do try to carry the A55 as much as possible. Unless you are buying a bridge camera for some huge zoom function I would definitely recommend an A33 or A55 as the overall quality and versatility in low light and/or indoors is way ahead of any bridge camera. Buy a cheap mid or long zoom compact for good light and an A33/A55 for other photography (even if you only get the short kit lens) as the difference in anything other than good daylight is very noticable.

General comments - the best camera purchase I have ever made, although I appreciate the purist may not like it compared to a normal dSLR. The quality and convenience give me the perfect combination of dSLR quality with some of a compact/bridge benefits. I highly recommend it and am happy I got the A55 rather than wait for some improved (and more expensive?) A77 some time next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of superlatives, a brilliant camera, 10 Nov. 2011
I have been a keen amateur photographer for over thirty years, and in that time have used a variety of film and more recently digital cameras. I generally use the A55 with a Sony 18 - 250 when I'm travelling, and initially selected the A55 body because it is smaller and lighter than most dslr's. Despite its size, however, I find it incredibly comfortable and 'natural' to hold, with all the controls easily accessible (and I have large hands!). The EVF is excellent,no problem with it at all, and I find the digital spirit level now indispensable. The rear live view screen is very bright,and focussing very fast. Image quality is superb, in fact everything about the camera feels just right. Brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, poor customer service, 30 Oct. 2012
Truly stunning camera 5 stars-good step up from the 390alpha I had before. Unfortunately I had an issue with the battery-it never worked - didn't take a charge, straight out of the box- most manufacturers would have repaired it under warranty, unfortunately Sony wouldn't repair or replace a brand new/unused battery that didn't work. I live in constant fear of the camera developing a fault because i have experienced how Sony honour their warrantiesI absolutely love the camera but when I next upgrade, it won't be with Sony. 5stars for the camera, 0 stars for Sony's customer care, so unfortunately 3 stars overall! Sorry Sony you had more chances than enough to put this right!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 6 April 2012
I have upgraded from an a330 and find the difference incredible, The a55 lives up to expectations and does what its supposed to. having had a sony before it did not take long to get use to the controls. The HD videoing is great and the quality of image superb. The 16.2 megapixels is enough unless you need bigger pictures in which case the a65 is a better proposition.
During my research and read on the reviews on both the Sony and it's rivals.I concluded that buying new lenses would out weigh the tiny differences I noted in the reviews of these cameras. I am really pleased with the product the delivery and service offered by Amazon.
The only con the battery does not last quite as long as the 330 so you need a spare or two if you go on a big shoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera for the price, 5 Mar. 2012
A. Chatterjee "Evony Gamer" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
I used to have a Sony A350 and decided to upgrade to a prosumer camera. I couldn't afford a full frame one so I bought this A55. Its delightful, easy to use and the 10 burst shot in one second was amazing. I took it onhoilday and got pictures of a Karate demonstration and divers jumping from a cliff all in 10 shot bursts to get the best action shot or even a sequence. Pictures are very good indeed with my Sony 18-200 lens and I think better than the A350 I used to have. I would recommend this unreservedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alpha 55, 12 May 2012
Super camera. I bought this as body only and separately purchased a 50mm f1.8. Picture quality really good, video better than I imagined, camera very simple use. Certainly can recommend this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony A55, 10 July 2013
Bought this as a backup to my Sony A77.
Easy to use and comfortable in the hand...not too different to the Sony A77.
Good choice and with the benefit of GPS no shot will be lost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 3 Feb. 2013
Did not like it, it was too small for my hands, although its a lovely camera, I would recommend it for smaller hands