5.0 out of 5 stars Great read
I found the story almost like a documentary, gripping and real. I am now very interested in The period of Akhenaten and his efforts to install a one God regimen over Egypt fascinating.
Published 14 months ago by Bryan M. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me
it felt more like a non fiction than a book of fiction too many short stories not fon me thanks
Published 9 months ago by brian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 25 May 2013
Bryan M. Jones (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Amarnan Kings Book 1: Scarab - Akhenaten (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A History Lesson with a Twist!, 20 May 2013
I was taken on an adventure in a time we can only imagine. Mr Overton's meticulous research into Ancient Egyptian Life, and his descriptions of the food, environment, clothing, and day to day living, allows you to immerse yourself in the times. Whilst there is little known about the character Scarab (Beketaten) Max brings her to life with his research and imagination. He also provides some insight into what may have happened to some of the historical characters, Akhenaten, Smenkhkare and Tutankamen and even Nefertiti, whom not a great deal is known about. I particularly like the way he begins and ends each book in modern day with an exploration that uncovers Beketaten's tomb. I have read the first three books in the series and am hanging out for the final ones once they become available. For anyone who has an interest in Ancient Egypt but does not have the time or inclination to delve into the history books then I would recommend Max Overton's Scarab series.

Almost nothing is known about Smenkhkare as a king and this account is quite a reasonable and exciting one.

Though Tut is well known what actually happened behind the scenes during his growing up and his power struggle taking place at the time almost nothing is known.

5.0 out of 5 stars the amarnan kings book 1 Scarab-Akhenaten, 3 Sep 2012
Looking for a book that details life in ancient egypt, not just the historical details, but bringing the story to life by involving the reader in the day to day lives of the ordinary citizens, but also the kings and queens of their time and the intrigues of daily life.
The author has managed to amalgamate known facts with an amazing made up scenario that makes the reader totally believe what he is reading. I have become totally involved with the characters of this first instalment of these books,that I have puchased the further 4 other books in the series. Needless to say that I have not been disapointed in doing so. At the present moment up to half way through
Book 3. Brilliant!!!!!!. Totally involved with the characters and can't wait for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 8 Nov 2012
If you like fiction told by the main character, based in places and with people from history you will love this read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014
good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Well researched,well written, 24 Jun 2014
P. G. Russell (North Northumberland) - See all my reviews
I have been interested in the history of Akhenaten for some time, and was delighted to find this fictional account. A really good, believable take on this strange man. A great idea to follow the fortunes of one person (Scarab) as she interacts with all the famous and infamous characters of the time. I have also now bought the other five books in the series - have read the second, so far and have started the third.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave, 16 Jun 2014
I had not read anything about this period of Egyptian history until this book, and to read a story laid out from the viewpoint of a Pharaoh's youngest daughter was really interesting. Well written and entertaining.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many facts, 8 Jun 2014
Mr. D. Macbeth "shulishader" (western isles) - See all my reviews
After reading the Marius Mules series and really enjoying them I looked forward in anticipation to a different genre in the Amaran Kings. I was rally dissapointed as I was bombarded with names and facts forgetting what the storyline was. I want to be entertained and enjoy my read but found myself wondering who all the characters were. This book for me did not entertain. This maybe for someone else but sadly nit for me. Back to familiar ground with Marius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember it's a novel, 15 May 2014
David Mawson (UK) - See all my reviews
An enjoyable read which gives a reasonable exploration and explanation of the events during the reign of Pharaoh Akhenaten (there are others). Lots of "historical facts" though the veracity of some of them are questionable e.g. I can't say I've come across Akhenaten having a flushing toilet before. However, I have to credit the author for even tackling the subject of sanitation in Ancient Egypt, a subject that even textbooks avoid. An altogether realistic portrayal of daily life in Pharonic Egypt, even if it borders on the incredible at times. Recommended , and I'll certainly be reading the other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tha Amarnan kings, 3 April 2014
It took a while to get into it but the historical research is second to none and am looking forward to reading the series