5.0 out of 5 stars A History Lesson with a Twist!
Published on 20 May 2013 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars OK BUT BEWILDERING
Published 4 months ago by Ludovico Sforza

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A History Lesson with a Twist!, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Amarnan Kings, Book 1: Scarab - Akhenaten (Kindle Edition)
I was taken on an adventure in a time we can only imagine. Mr Overton's meticulous research into Ancient Egyptian Life, and his descriptions of the food, environment, clothing, and day to day living, allows you to immerse yourself in the times. Whilst there is little known about the character Scarab (Beketaten) Max brings her to life with his research and imagination. He also provides some insight into what may have happened to some of the historical characters, Akhenaten, Smenkhkare and Tutankamen and even Nefertiti, whom not a great deal is known about. I particularly like the way he begins and ends each book in modern day with an exploration that uncovers Beketaten's tomb. I have read the first three books in the series and am hanging out for the final ones once they become available. For anyone who has an interest in Ancient Egypt but does not have the time or inclination to delve into the history books then I would recommend Max Overton's Scarab series.

Almost nothing is known about Smenkhkare as a king and this account is quite a reasonable and exciting one.

Though Tut is well known what actually happened behind the scenes during his growing up and his power struggle taking place at the time almost nothing is known.

5.0 out of 5 stars really interesting series, 14 Feb. 2014
F. Mckinney (uk) - See all my reviews
I had never read ancient Egypt stories before, but wanted to know more after reading Ms McCullochs Anthony and Cleopatra(Masters of Rome series, which along with O'Briens Master and Commander series, the best historical novels ever, I think so anyway!). I found all the Scarab books great,and they are longish, good for quick readers .The characters are fascinating, and since reading these books I have read other series with similar Egyptian themes.But to me ,these are my favourites, better by far than most.There is a lot of drama and revenge and bloodshed .Nice to have a female hero too.I cant comment on the historical accuracy but the author gives reasons for his take on it, and however true to the actual events ,it is a great story.well worth buying or get a sample and see.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK BUT BEWILDERING, 26 Feb. 2015
Ludovico Sforza (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Very well written and researched. Set in the Egypt of Amenophis III and Akhenaten the characters are believable, their scenes beautifully written and their individual storylines are good. Why only 3 stars, well it's because there are far too many of them. One minute we are in the 1950's in Palestine, then in Egypt with the royal family, then with the army, then with some glass blower then off to Hattusus and the court of the Hittite king then we bring in Azuri (sp?) from Lebanon. Well written as I say but I found it both annoying and bewildering..... I almost wonder if the author had read Geoffrey Bibby's Four Thousand Years Ago when he was young and is going for his own version of it in this novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember it's a novel, 15 May 2014
David Mawson (UK) - See all my reviews
An enjoyable read which gives a reasonable exploration and explanation of the events during the reign of Pharaoh Akhenaten (there are others). Lots of "historical facts" though the veracity of some of them are questionable e.g. I can't say I've come across Akhenaten having a flushing toilet before. However, I have to credit the author for even tackling the subject of sanitation in Ancient Egypt, a subject that even textbooks avoid. An altogether realistic portrayal of daily life in Pharonic Egypt, even if it borders on the incredible at times. Recommended , and I'll certainly be reading the other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 25 May 2013
Bryan M. Jones (london) - See all my reviews
I found the story almost like a documentary, gripping and real. I am now very interested in The period of Akhenaten and his efforts to install a one God regimen over Egypt fascinating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many facts, 8 Jun. 2014
Mr. D. Macbeth "shulishader" (western isles) - See all my reviews
After reading the Marius Mules series and really enjoying them I looked forward in anticipation to a different genre in the Amaran Kings. I was rally dissapointed as I was bombarded with names and facts forgetting what the storyline was. I want to be entertained and enjoy my read but found myself wondering who all the characters were. This book for me did not entertain. This maybe for someone else but sadly nit for me. Back to familiar ground with Marius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well researched,well written, 24 Jun. 2014
P. G. Russell (North Northumberland) - See all my reviews
I have been interested in the history of Akhenaten for some time, and was delighted to find this fictional account. A really good, believable take on this strange man. A great idea to follow the fortunes of one person (Scarab) as she interacts with all the famous and infamous characters of the time. I have also now bought the other five books in the series - have read the second, so far and have started the third.

5.0 out of 5 stars the amarnan kings book 1 Scarab-Akhenaten, 3 Sept. 2012
Looking for a book that details life in ancient egypt, not just the historical details, but bringing the story to life by involving the reader in the day to day lives of the ordinary citizens, but also the kings and queens of their time and the intrigues of daily life.
The author has managed to amalgamate known facts with an amazing made up scenario that makes the reader totally believe what he is reading. I have become totally involved with the characters of this first instalment of these books,that I have puchased the further 4 other books in the series. Needless to say that I have not been disapointed in doing so. At the present moment up to half way through
Book 3. Brilliant!!!!!!. Totally involved with the characters and can't wait for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow Start, 23 July 2013
Was a very slow start compared to the Mules series .
Names hard to keep track of.
But guess understandable given the biopic nature of the whole complete series to introduce all the characters.
Looking forward to the next installment as the story has picked up pace....

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking good, 26 Aug. 2013
I'm only two thirds of the way through this book. It's an entertaining story set in an interesting period of Egyptian history. Well written with plenty of detail to be absorbed. The characters and plot seem to be playing out well. Have already decided to buy the next installment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›