5.0 out of 5 stars Seben 700-76 reflector telescope
Published on 17 Jan. 2013 by M Holmes

1.0 out of 5 stars A good telescope to put someone off astronomy
I am baffled to see so many good reviews of this telescope. It is a waste of money. Buy a pair of binoculars for the same money or save the money towards a telescope that is actually usable.

Published 10 months ago by Sheldon

5.0 out of 5 stars Seben 700-76 reflector telescope, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Seben 700-76 Reflector Telescope huge Big Pack incl. (Electronics)
Seben 700-76 Reflector Telescope huge Big Pack incl.Being a complete novice to the sky at night purely following the recent television program, my husband and I decided to purchase a telescope along with a book to explain what is just out there. Honest we knew the plough, the moon, full stop. Read a few reviews but they seemed to be for more experienced viewers. So just took the plunge thinking £56 is not alot of money to spend. How impressed were we when the telescope arrived. Very easy to build up, very robust, very easy to use. It only took four days to arrive from Germany. Being German built it is very good quality. Anyone out there if this is your first time viewing the night skies, purchase this. You don't just get the telescope, but 3 different strength eye pieces and a fantastically easy to follow instruction book. We both found the helpful hints a godsend. Never knew the moon looked so good.
We will be using this to view the night skies where we live, in Yorkshire, but as we have property in Scotland, we are also taking 'Kurt' as our telescope is now called, with us. This shows just how easy it is to dismantle and reset up. The total magnification is mind blowing. This has really got my husband, my kids and grandchildren and myself hooked on learning about the night skies. Better than the television!!. Would really recommend this to anyone, no matter how experienced, or not, you may be.

1.0 out of 5 stars A good telescope to put someone off astronomy, 21 April 2014

Myself and a colleague are both new to astronomy and both of us decided to get a telescope having watched the sky through binoculars earlier. Neither of us wanted to spend a lot of money. One of us bought a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ and the other got this Seben 700-76 having seen the excellent reviews here on Amazon.

The last few months one of us has got hours of enjoyment looking at the wonders of the night sky through the Celestron scope while the other has just managed to get short glimps of the moon and Jupiter for a few seconds through this Seben scope whilst hours have been wasted whilst frustratingly trying to get a steady image of what you want to see. Way more has been seen through binoculars and the Celestron scope during the times we've been out together than what has been actually seen through this Seben telescope.

The problem is that the mount and tripod for this Seben scope makes it unusable. It is basically a very expensive toy. It is impossible to get it stable enough to view anything even at low magnification for more than a few seconds at a time. Any hint of wind blowing will also immediately render the view too unstable to watch. It is also impossible to follow an object as it constantly moves due the earths rotation. It might come with loads of accessories but all the high magnification and barlow lenses are pointless to have as even if you manage to find an object at higher magnification it will have moved out of view before the telescope stops trembling due to you moving it previously and you have to move the scope once again.

Yes the Celestron cost about twice the money but it is actually useable. It has its flaws as well (the finder on it is takes a lot more to get used to than the finder on this Seben scope). Having had the chance to see through it with better quality lenses I was amazed what you could see, while looking through this Seben scope with better lenses didn't really make anything better as you still couldn't get the view to be still for long enough.

I'm sure that telescopes that cost more than the Celestron 130EQ will give even more enjoyment for the higher price. Being able to withstand higher wind speeds, be able to see fainter objects and so on. This Seben scope however is a waste of money as it fails to deliver the most basic thing a telescope needs to do. A stable image of an object in the night sky that you can view. A pair of 7x50 binoculars gives you way more joy. Trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome value for money, 22 Jan. 2014
This Telescope is a great starter scope and for a cheaper price, the magnification levels are awesome, with up to 350x zoom. This telescope also come with 6 lenses and a moon lens, the moon lens you usually have to buy separately, but with this, it just comes with it. The telescope also isn't that big, only 70cm long and the tripod is really light, so it can be a stationary telescope or a mobile one. The horizontal and vertical movements are smooth, with a capability of going slowly or quickly. Overall a very good telescope that isnt at all expensive, best budget telescope available!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very shaky product; terrible seller, horrible customer service, 17 Jun. 2013
I bought this for my 8 year old. It looked good, until it was assembled. It is NOT suitable for a child due to the way the viewer is located on the side. It has limited room to be manouvred around. Worst thing was that it was really shaky and felt cheap and was not the quality I expected. I returned it and the manufacturers refused to cover postage cost to Germany. I opened up an A-Z claim with Amazon and credit to them they paid for postage.

UPDATE on 26 June 2013: I would advise everyone to steer clear of this seller. I found them very unethical, untruthful, and extremely poor. Here is my experience:

When I returned the item, Amazon paid for the courier back to the seller. The seller refunded me £20 less with no email, no reason, nothing. I was appalled. I emailed Amazon and they topped up £20. Full credit to Amazon for their excellent care for customers on this occasion. I then wrote the review. NOW CHECK THIS OUT:

Today, I get an email from the seller. They have seen the review. They don't like it. They now claim that had I explained these issues in depth, they would have sent me a returns label for free postage! How ridiculous. I explained the issue to them and they would not budge. They merely sent me the same copy and paste email twice. So they could have very easily sent me a free returns label, but instead they make me waste time and energy to find a courier service and get it shipped out.

So anyway, their email goes on to say: They received the item in bad condition. Again, this is totally false as my wife and I repackaged it in its original packaging with the individual plastic bags etc. In any case, this is the first time I am hearing of the bad condition of the return. So thats why they refunded £20 less? It would have been nice to know!

They then have the AUDACITY to say: we are now prepared to give you your £20, and we would be grateful if you would remove your negative feedback!!! Can you believe the nerve?

Steer clear guys, this one's a baddie.

Formal complaint to Amazon about this seller on its way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present, 27 Dec. 2012
I ordered this as a Christmas present for my husband. This was out of stock when I ordered with an estimated delivery of mid January, however it arrived by 21 December so I was very pleased with that. My husband was thrilled to receive this as a present. It is a great telescope with lots of extras, very easy to set up and use and it looks very impressive too. The moon looks great with so much clear detail, just waiting for a really clear night to see Jupiter. My husband loves it and I have started to take a bit more interest in the night sky. Great telescope, brilliant service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seben 700-76 Reflector Telescope, 14 Nov. 2012
Absolutely brilliant, my husband loves it, he had spent many hours just sitting in the peace and quiet of the back bedroom, just looking at the moon. Wish I had bought one years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner telescope, 10 Mar. 2013
Gary Wimble (Chatham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well packaged and arrived on first day of estimated delivery date. Instructions were brief but took about 30 minutes to put together. Tripod made of 6 sided aluminium and was quite good quality for the price. Mounting bracket has a small amount of play so could be a problem focusing on to small things. The telescope doesn't appear to be compatable with the motor drive, which is a pity. Sighting scope needs to be 'zeroed' during the day on a distant object to alight for the telescope. Telescope is very easy to use and I am considering getting the pc connection lens to turn it into a digital telescope.

For a first reflector telescope this is a great bit of kit.

Things to bear in mind. The enclosed instructions are not great but you can figure out what goes we're if you take your time. Now just waiting for clear skies.

2.0 out of 5 stars yet to fulfill potential, 25 Jan. 2014
I found this product easy to assemble but there were no clear instructions for use. The first celestial object I viewed was Venus which was disappointing. It is difficult to line the eyepiece with the telescope. There is a lot of residual tremor when adjusting the telescope. Views of the moon were good.I tried to align to Pleides and found that I got a dim view of the cluster at low power and it was not visualised at higher magnification. I will make a final judgement when I use it in an area with less light pollution. If I can see Jupiter with its moons, I will deliver a more favourable review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 16 Aug. 2013
I'm pleased I resisted this company's bribe, asking me to leave a positive review within 14 days of purchase in order to receive a mystery freebie.This may explain why this product is so highly rated and I feel I've wasted my money. We have attempted to use the scope several times now and yes, we have seen the moon and Saturn but, it is so fiddly to set up and adjust. You just get the object in view, step back to let some else have a look, and that slight vibration underfoot causes the scope to wobble. By the time the scope has become still again the object has gone out of your field of view and you have to start the whole process again. I really wish I'd saved my money to put towards a better scope, with better mountings and computerized tracking. I admit you get reasonable images of the moon but not much better than I get with binoculars which are hassle free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value, 31 May 2013
Absolutely fantastic quality for a very reasonable price indeed!

It comes with very straight forward instructions to set up and gives you the necessary pointers on how to align your telescope properly so even beginners should have no issues at all with its use.

The telescope comes with plenty of magnification strengths to suit all types of viewing.

It's not that heavy to move around at all, very easy to operate and it looks good too.

You couldn't ask for anything more from a home telescope