5.0 out of 5 stars Just works
Having had a reliable Prolific USB-serial converter operate for over ten years right up to Windows 7, it proved not to work with Windows 8. Time for a replacement, it seemed.

Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

Published 7 months ago by Graham Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset) (Personal Computers)

I can't avoid the need for a serial port as I program Crestron and AMX systems, which usually require at least some initial use of a COM port. This device plugged into my Windows 8 laptop and just works. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars USB to RS-232 also for Windows 8, 16 Jan 2013
Alberto Pasquale (Modena, Italy) - See all my reviews
This device is based on the latest revision of the Prolific chip, which is required for Windows 8.
Most similar devices work with other OSes but not with W8.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant plug-in additional serial port, 9 Nov 2012
Adrian (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have struggled with two other serial (COM) port products, both of which failed to provide a compatible Windows 7 x64 driver. The "Plugable Technologies" product uses the Prolific PL2303HX chipset, which is immediately recognised by Windows 7 and a properly certified driver is downloaded immediately.
A CD is provided with Windows and MAC drivers (mini CD, so it may not work with a slot-load drive), but most users won't need it.
The DB9 pins / female screw receptacle fitting exactly simulates a traditional IBM COM port, so existing devices screw straight in.
I ordered late one evening, it was despatched the next day, arriving the following day. Well done to Pluggable Technologies for fast service! I was so impressed with this item I immediately ordered another for a POS project I was working on.
Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not compatible with some hardware (Daktronics - HyTek for example), 17 May 2014
This is a high quality and well functioning USB to RS232 adapter, make no mistake. It's highly rated reviews attest to this. However its Prolific chip set is not compatible with some hardware especially it seems devices that require the exchange of 'nul' i.e. ASCII code 00 characters. It is not compatible with HyTek's Meet Manager and Daktronics race timing hardware and will cause Run-time error 8020. Choose a FTDI or Moxa adapter for this equipment or if you know you'll be communicating with nul characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB to Serial adapter makes reliable connection, 6 Aug 2014
Did exactly as described, enabling me to use a laptop USB port to emulate a serial port, but only after I had remembered to set the COM port on the computer (Windows XP on laptop). This last point is so important as you will be left bewildered if the device you are trying to communicate with, and its companion software, is expecting say COM1 and your computer has assigned it a different port number (you might only get an unhelpful message from xp saying unable to communicate). Once over that hurdle, the device has performed reliably. The only minor issue I had with the device as such was the set of nuts on the end of the seial port connector (you can see these in the supplier's picture). These are standard, but my terminal device also had nuts so the two bits wouldn't connect. Fortunately I had a cable with thumbscrews on both ends, so I could connect everything together. Nice and compact.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but watch out for the retaining nuts, 20 Aug 2013
Mr. N. Edwards "NiallEd" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Having just put in a Solar Edge Inverter, I found that the only effective way to connect it to my Windows XP laptop is via the RS232 port on the Inverter. As my laptop does not have a built in serial port, I decided to try this cable.

I followed the instructions and installed the drivers onto my Dell Vostro laptop prior to plugging in the USB end of the cable. I then plugged in the USB plug and XP immediately recognised it. From then on, I just had to connect the other end up to the inverter and I was away. Apart from my problem explained below, everything worked as I hoped.

So first the good news, it worked perfectly & first time. I haven't tried it with Windows 7 or 8 but the driver information says it will work with those operating systems as well. Plugable Technologies even sent me an email before the cable had arrived to point me to the latest drivers on the web site.

The bad news is that the two nuts on the RS232 end of the cable are female. The plug pins are male but the two retaining nuts are female (effectively mimicking the serial ports you used to get on PCs & laptops). In my case, the socket on the Inverter is female (as expected) but it also has female retaining nuts.

The end result is that you can't actually plug the cable in to the inverter because the retaining nuts prevent the two ends from plugging into each other. Unfortunately, you can't remove the nuts from the cable either. In the end I had to remove the nuts on the Inverter socket which then allowed me to plug the cable in (although I nearly lost the socket inside the inverter in the process!)

I have ordered a straight wired male to female RS232 cable which I hope will resolve the problem. If it does then I will update this review to indicate which one I bought.

UPDATE : The straight wired male to female RS232 cable works a charm and has solved my issue. For anyone in the same predicament, it is a 'Serial RS232 9 pin Connection Cable, Male to Female, 1.8 Meter (6ft)' which I bought from Amazon for the 'princely' sum of £3.59. Well worth it. Just make sure you buy a 'straight wired' cable and not one which has the words 'null modem' in the description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter, 14 Feb 2013
kitty (Cardiff, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was a purchase to link my electronic knitting machine to my computer, the manufacturer's item was prohibitively expensive. Works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars work on linux, 17 Jun 2012
I use it on ubuntu 11.10 to connect to cisco router without any troubble.
It work fine and worth its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product that lasts the test of time - works on both Mac OSX (mavericks and yosemite) and windows (7 and 8), 16 Dec 2014
Have bought this product before and have only bought another one due to the last one going 'missing', good quality product that lasts the test of time.

I have used this with both my macbook (OSX mavericks and yosemite) and on Widows (7 and 8.1) without issues and without the need to install extra drivers however my be worth installing the drivers if you have issues on windows 8.

I use this mainly for connecting to network devices but have also used this to connect to console interfaces on SAN's (you obviously need the relavent console/rollover cable as well).

5.0 out of 5 stars STB reprogramming is a Breeze, 12 July 2014
Got one of these to update a couple of bricked STB's If you need it for this purpose it works out of the box with windows 8, no need to install drivers :D