4.0 out of 5 stars Good riddance to CDs
Published on 14 May 2011 by Eric Sheldon

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio cross-talk issues
Considering how much I paid for this thing, I'm happy with it.

Published on 27 Mar. 2013 by K. Lane

4.0 out of 5 stars Good riddance to CDs, 14 May 2011
Eric Sheldon "Eric" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beat 175 Car Deckless Head Unit Ipod Aux In SD Memory Card RDS Tuner Player Headunit Stereo (Electronics)
A very good product at an amazingly low price. CDs are not ideally suited for playing in equipment that gets jarred and shaken around, so it makes sense to banish them from head units and use solid state memory instead. This unit has four inputs: radio, line in, an SC card slot and a USB socket for a thumb drive. I find the SD card slot meets all my needs, since a cheap 1-GB card holds about 18 hours of music or podcasts. The sound is very good. Downsides are the annoying beeping sound made whenever any button is pushed and the nonstandard antenna socket for which I still have to find an adaptor. Overall, though, it's an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beat 175, 2 Sept. 2011
This is an excellent product at a reasonable price. Sound quality is good, instructions could be a little clearer but mostly common sense needed. Havn't tried with memory card yet but fingers crossed this will be as good as fm radio quality sound.

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio cross-talk issues, 27 Mar. 2013
K. Lane - See all my reviews
Considering how much I paid for this thing, I'm happy with it.

However, when playing music from SD, USB or AUX at higher volumes (above 35) you can hear the FM radio fuzzing through quietly during the silent parts. Also, at most volumes (quiet and loud) you can hear a faint ticking fuzzy noise like "chiffchiffchiffchiff" which seems to go away around a sweet spot of volume 35 or near it; this sounds like interference as the SD card is being read/accessed. All of the interference described happens whether my engine is running or not, so it's not the car's electronics.

One final weird anomaly which is probably more to do with the poor quality charger I use for my phone: When using the AUX feature from my smartphone while it's plugged into the cigarette lighter to charge, I can hear my alternator loudly through the speakers! This manifests as a high pitched tone which changes with my engine revs. This is great for pretending I drive an F1 car/jet airplane but when I listen to music from my phone I have to take it off charge!

My conclusion is that it seems like a great unit for the price, but it suffers from poor insulation/grounding/shielding and you will experience some interference if you have sensitive ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value For Money, 24 Dec. 2012
Pauline E. Grant (South Wales) - See all my reviews
I bought this to go in a 2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso so I could have some music without spending much money and so far I am delighted with the purchase. It is quite small and light and was a doddle to fit. I also bought the antenna adaptor for older Citroen/Peugeot cars available on Amazon, so no fiddling with wiring of any sort.
As other reviewers have mentioned the manual is quite hard work, but a half-hour reading it through while pushing buttons seems to have got everything I want set up ok. I was slightly baffled by all the stuff about traffic alerts and I have not found out how to access the EQ settings, but I have decided to ignore these features. I am not bothered about traffic reports and bass, treble, balance and fader can all be set individually. The sound is really very good, nice and crisp and clear with no unwanted buzzing or whining. The only gripe I have is that I am using a memory stick and it does not remember what track number you have got to but starts again from the beginning every time you turn it on. But the DIR +/- buttons let you flip through album by album so it is hardly the end of the world.
Overall I have to give this five stars for its value for money. I ordered it from caraudioscurityuk on the free delivery option and it was delivered two days later, which in the week before Christmas is first class service.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great headunit and works really well and sounds great!, 23 Mar. 2013
J. Orton - See all my reviews
So, I think you have to start this review by saying that it costs just £30 inc delivery - wow! It looks good installed although the display is a bit bright and busy, but not silly. It sounds great through factory speakers on my Mondeo which is impressive in itself. The SD card playback (my primary reason for buying) is fantastic, quick through the tracks (although the display is slow to show the title text etc) and in contrast to previous reviews (so I am assuming the newer units have better software in them) the +10 DIR and -10 buttons skip to the next folder, not 10 tracks as indicated in the reviews above and manual of the item, so navigating albums on a large card is a doddle. Also, if you switch to radio and back to SD then the track carries on where it was so that's been fixed too!

All in all I've given it four stars as the displays a bit busy and the text of songs is too slow, but let's be clear for £30 this thing sounds great, looks good and works very well.

I've only one real niggle with this unit - how do you set the TRAFFIC announcement volume to something higher? Whenever the traffic broadcasts are picked up, it beeps and then goes really quiet while the traffic bulletin is on, then back to normal volume afterwards - how do you set a default traffic volume?

5.0 out of 5 stars a quality item with the right look., 11 Aug. 2013
I was looking for a head unit to replace an ageing unit in my 328i E36 BMW, I wanted something that would look the part but also be suitable for the car as I keep it as a modern classic and only do about 1500 miles a year in it so spending a fortune an a head unit didn't make sense. The unit is compact and looks great fitted with orange back lighting which matches the cars night lighting and a subtle white LED screen. The fitting was simplicity in itself with the correct adapter cable from Halfords and it went straight in and is a good flush fit. The sound quality through the six speaker system in the E36 is excellent, My I pod plays best through the AUX socket and a 8GB memory stick fits neatly into the USB socket and again the buttons to select albums/playlists and then skip tracks are simple to understand and use. Radio reception in the 3 series is great and the system has no problems auto tuning with the 6 presets there is no hint of interference from the car or any other source. Standard bass, treble and faders work well with my speakers and car and has good fidelity. All this for £30 i can honestly say it has exceeded my expectations. Well done Beat an excellent unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible Radio, its cheap because it's rubbish!, 15 Sept. 2013
R. M. Wright - See all my reviews
I bought this for my friend so that she could plug her iphone into the AUX port via headphone so she didnt have to risk driving about and having to struggle to hear the instructions on the sat nav.

The radio is simple enough to install. Connect the two block connectors to the back (Power and Speakers) and the Antenna (You might need an antenna convertor), and attach the black rail mount onto the top of the radio and slide in. However, The location on the back of the Radio presents a problem as the rail mount wouldn't quite slip on vertically and needed some modification to the bracket.

After installing the radio, it seemed to work well, FM radio was there and had great reception. When we switched over to USB though, the unit immeadiately powered down and powered back up, onto FM Radio. When we tried to make it go back to USB it did the same thing again but began to smoke. I disconnected the battery from the car and ripped the unit out of the car.

This is the second report on Amazon of a potential fire risk from this device. I would urge you NOT to purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good replacement stereo., 27 Jun. 2013
I was swaying whether to purchase this unit given some reviews which mention audio interference from the electronics as the unit accesses the SD card or through the aux input. However, now it is fully installed, I can say that I have heard absolutely no sign of this problem at all. I have played several songs from the SD card and also from my smartphone using a bluetooth receiver wired to the aux input. Whatever the volume setting, the audio is clean. Perhaps the manufacturers produced a bad batch, or have improved quality control?

The manual is mostly in Pigeon English but installation and use is pretty straightforward. The trim that has to be removed prior to installing is flimsy and the plastic tabs holding in place break easily so hopefully it won't have to come out of the car again.

For the price this is an excellent unit and I am glad that I tool a chance purchasing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for the price, 23 April 2013
I needed a cheap amp and mp3 player built into one which could drive 2 speakers. This is ideal and having read the reviews I felt the quality would be up to what I needed. Sure enough it is. As at least one other reviewer noted there is some crackling when playing back from SD and USB at lower volumes however for most uses this will not be a problem. USB suffers slightly less than SD. The only other minor issue is when turning the unit on the read time on SD cards can be so long it gives up and starts using the radio. Again I have not seen this problem with a USB drive.

Overall if you want a cheap head unit that works well enough for all but the most picky audiophile this will do the job. If you want perfect sound quality in a car then you probably wouldn't be looking at something for 30 quid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant be Beat!!, 25 July 2013
Mr. Z. Majid "essexzed" (Ilford) - See all my reviews
I had not heard of Beat prior to purchasing this stereo. I was looking to replace my standard BMW stereo, which was cassette only.
I needed a stereo that could support mp3 from a usb, but to my astonishment, this will accept an SD and Ipod also! and furthermore, it is NOT mechanical, so less likely to wrong. It came with all the wiring diagrams and plugs and was easy to install.
Aesthetically pleasing with a nice orange back light to match the rest of my interior lighting with lots of nice features. Crystal clear radio and very good sound quality from MP3 playback. All in all for the price, it is an awesome purchase. Goodbye CD's!! I will probably buy another for my other car.