4.0 out of 5 stars Good riddance to CDs
Published on 14 May 2011 by Eric Sheldon

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio cross-talk issues
Considering how much I paid for this thing, I'm happy with it.

Published 12 months ago by K. Lane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good riddance to CDs, 14 May 2011
Eric Sheldon "Eric" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beat 175 Car Deckless Head Unit Ipod Aux In SD Memory Card RDS Tuner Player Headunit Stereo (Electronics)
A very good product at an amazingly low price. CDs are not ideally suited for playing in equipment that gets jarred and shaken around, so it makes sense to banish them from head units and use solid state memory instead. This unit has four inputs: radio, line in, an SC card slot and a USB socket for a thumb drive. I find the SD card slot meets all my needs, since a cheap 1-GB card holds about 18 hours of music or podcasts. The sound is very good. Downsides are the annoying beeping sound made whenever any button is pushed and the nonstandard antenna socket for which I still have to find an adaptor. Overall, though, it's an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beat 175, 2 Sep 2011
This is an excellent product at a reasonable price. Sound quality is good, instructions could be a little clearer but mostly common sense needed. Havn't tried with memory card yet but fingers crossed this will be as good as fm radio quality sound.

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio cross-talk issues, 27 Mar 2013
K. Lane - See all my reviews
Considering how much I paid for this thing, I'm happy with it.

However, when playing music from SD, USB or AUX at higher volumes (above 35) you can hear the FM radio fuzzing through quietly during the silent parts. Also, at most volumes (quiet and loud) you can hear a faint ticking fuzzy noise like "chiffchiffchiffchiff" which seems to go away around a sweet spot of volume 35 or near it; this sounds like interference as the SD card is being read/accessed. All of the interference described happens whether my engine is running or not, so it's not the car's electronics.

One final weird anomaly which is probably more to do with the poor quality charger I use for my phone: When using the AUX feature from my smartphone while it's plugged into the cigarette lighter to charge, I can hear my alternator loudly through the speakers! This manifests as a high pitched tone which changes with my engine revs. This is great for pretending I drive an F1 car/jet airplane but when I listen to music from my phone I have to take it off charge!

My conclusion is that it seems like a great unit for the price, but it suffers from poor insulation/grounding/shielding and you will experience some interference if you have sensitive ears.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad noise interference, 28 April 2013
Andrew Crow (EDINBURGH, UK) - See all my reviews
Sounds fine on the radio and aux input but the usb and sd card make an annoying humming noise. It also immediately forgets what you were playing and goes back to the first track on the SD card. Unusable for me. Got one from Aldi for the same price which does not have these issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 26 Mar 2014
the product is pretty good it did sound a little bit fussy at points and the radio wasn't perfect but the AUX facility was great and for the money defiantly worth it

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of crap, 6 Mar 2014
Within 3 months this had stopped working, I would urge anyone considering buying it to spend a little extra and go for something decent

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible Radio, its cheap because it's rubbish!, 15 Sep 2013
R. M. Wright - See all my reviews
I bought this for my friend so that she could plug her iphone into the AUX port via headphone so she didnt have to risk driving about and having to struggle to hear the instructions on the sat nav.

The radio is simple enough to install. Connect the two block connectors to the back (Power and Speakers) and the Antenna (You might need an antenna convertor), and attach the black rail mount onto the top of the radio and slide in. However, The location on the back of the Radio presents a problem as the rail mount wouldn't quite slip on vertically and needed some modification to the bracket.

After installing the radio, it seemed to work well, FM radio was there and had great reception. When we switched over to USB though, the unit immeadiately powered down and powered back up, onto FM Radio. When we tried to make it go back to USB it did the same thing again but began to smoke. I disconnected the battery from the car and ripped the unit out of the car.

This is the second report on Amazon of a potential fire risk from this device. I would urge you NOT to purchase it.

1.0 out of 5 stars stay away!!!!!, 14 Aug 2013
I brought this head unit thinking i was getting a good deal. It met all the things i was looking for it had nice face to it, lightweight and cheap.
The issues started when i got it, wouldn't play my i-pod nor my mobile. so i sourced out infomation found a way to make it work. which it did untill a few seconds later when smoke started coming from the front of the head unit. When i did more investigating i found that this is a common fault with this unit.
If you want something to look good that doesn't work for not much money then this is for you!!! If NOT STAY AWAY.

5.0 out of 5 stars a quality item with the right look., 11 Aug 2013
I was looking for a head unit to replace an ageing unit in my 328i E36 BMW, I wanted something that would look the part but also be suitable for the car as I keep it as a modern classic and only do about 1500 miles a year in it so spending a fortune an a head unit didn't make sense. The unit is compact and looks great fitted with orange back lighting which matches the cars night lighting and a subtle white LED screen. The fitting was simplicity in itself with the correct adapter cable from Halfords and it went straight in and is a good flush fit. The sound quality through the six speaker system in the E36 is excellent, My I pod plays best through the AUX socket and a 8GB memory stick fits neatly into the USB socket and again the buttons to select albums/playlists and then skip tracks are simple to understand and use. Radio reception in the 3 series is great and the system has no problems auto tuning with the 6 presets there is no hint of interference from the car or any other source. Standard bass, treble and faders work well with my speakers and car and has good fidelity. All this for 30 i can honestly say it has exceeded my expectations. Well done Beat an excellent unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant be Beat!!, 25 July 2013
Mr. Z. Majid "essexzed" (Ilford) - See all my reviews
I had not heard of Beat prior to purchasing this stereo. I was looking to replace my standard BMW stereo, which was cassette only.
I needed a stereo that could support mp3 from a usb, but to my astonishment, this will accept an SD and Ipod also! and furthermore, it is NOT mechanical, so less likely to wrong. It came with all the wiring diagrams and plugs and was easy to install.
Aesthetically pleasing with a nice orange back light to match the rest of my interior lighting with lots of nice features. Crystal clear radio and very good sound quality from MP3 playback. All in all for the price, it is an awesome purchase. Goodbye CD's!! I will probably buy another for my other car.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›