5.0 out of 5 stars Archos 70 250gb - a dream tablet!!!
Published on 12 Jan. 2011 by Vernal Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Archos 70 Internet Tablet
A good budget tablet, slim, light and very portable.
As I travel a lot the screen size is great for sitting on public transport and watching video content.
The web browser is more than adequate for browsing the web, mail etc.

The frustrations begin not so much with the hardware, A slightly faster processor would have been a benefit however for my...
Published on 26 Dec. 2010 by Neil

5.0 out of 5 stars Archos 70 250gb - a dream tablet!!!, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
I received my Archos 70 250gb last week and all I can say is WOW!!! It has turned out to be a stunningly diverse gadget with tons of great features that has quickly become my new best friend, named Archie lol. There are a few minor negatives, such as it loving to highlight my finger prints, but that's me being petty. Any negatives are easily outdone by the positives: it never drops wifi, tethers flawlessy with my phone (Nokia N900), displays streamed media from my desktop in the next room, has the full android market, is a fantastic ebook reader etc etc etc. Plus it has great battery life and tons of onboard storage - and is very cheap (less than £250 if you look around!), compared to its competitors.

I love my Archie! If you buy one gadget this year then you had better make it this one. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Archos 70 8 gig, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
I feel I should set the record straight on this device, since their seems to be a lot of inaccurate information around, even on professional review sites.

First of, when you buy the Archos the chances are it will be running Android 2.1. As soon as you switch the device on, stick the mains plug on, go to device settings, firmware update and get straight onto the 2.2 update.

Secondly, download the Google Market Place apk. It's easy to find. You simply fill in your google account details and of you go, no need for the Archos Apps store! you will have full access to the Android apps Market.

Thirdly, got to the Adobe Flash mobile site and install flash 10.1, once you've installed the new firmware and Android 2.2. This will give you full access to Flash 10.1 desktop YouTube pages and flash games sites.

Once you've done this, download Dolphin Browser, and Launcher Pro. It will run as slick as the Galaxy Tab, once their installed.

For all those that are complaining about 256MB on the machine, this makes little difference to performance since there is no 3G and phone application services required to run on the device. Almost all the apps you will use will run fine, and manages multi-tasking very efficiently given the hard ware limit imposed.

The latest firmware update also has a performance tool, letting you unlock a range of different performance settings. I'm currently playing games such as Quake 2 and Dungeon Hunter, which both play very impressively.

In three weeks I've have had a couple of crashes on the machine, but I'm sure this is true for the Galaxy and the IPad.

This is an impressive piece of kit easily worth £220. Internet and capacitive screen technology is the icing on a very large cake for this device. Find me something comparable, with USB connection, HDMI mini out, and an SD Card slot? and of course lets not forget it is a fully functioning media player, capable of playing almost anything you can throw at it over a wifi network.

Definitely worth 5 out of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tablet & amazing value !, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
First things first. This tablet costs about £220 and is way cheaper than most of the competition with the same features/similar.
The touch screen is capacitive and is exceptional in its function, having pinch to zoom and an easy scrolling action. It is easily on par with the Apple/Samsung equivalent.
The latest version is 2.2froyo, easily updated via the Wi-Fi (which has a good range as well)
Its construction is really nice considering the price and the little kick stand that folds out is a neat touch.
The battery life is very good. I used it for 4 hours (including Wi-Fi downloads) and it barely used a third of the battery. Really impressed.
Considering the unit is so thin, the sound quality is amazing. They're only tiny speakers in there, but they sound great and it's stereo as well.
The screen (although not as high definition as others) looks really gorgeous. Hi-def images and video playback look amazing. The music app installed looks and works flawlessly.
Before parting with £400 - £500 + on another tablet, give the Archos 70 a go. I'm very glad I did.

Update - The Archos 70 has been running flawlessly.
My mate has sent TWO iPad2's back in the same time .......... Ignore the 1 star moans about reliability, look up the iPad reviews and Galaxy ones online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yo definetly can not go wrong with Archos 70 Tab, 22 Jan. 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
At GBP 212 its an amazing piece of hardware made by Archos where the design and finish is not at all compromised.
This Tab works like a charm , provided the hardware limitation you will expect from such highly portable device.
The acceleromete , multi-touch screen works brilliantly.
The battery backup is just phenomenal upto 8-9 hours with wifi on , gaming etc , which i never expected.

I dont understand why the other players in the market have kept the price above 400 quid , this tab would surely force them to think again .

Well if you are loking for a highly mobile tab which is as sleek as it could get without loosing the funtionality and dont care about the snob value should GO and BUY IT!

well be remided to check the functionality / sensitivity of the touch screen at the outermost perphery at the bottom of the tab as mine as issues with touch sensitivity there and have to press harder there.However as the screen could alighn in any direction due to accelorometer , it doesnt bother too much

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 12 Dec. 2011
Hi All,

Bought this as a replacement for my 80GB ipod. I know what you are thinking....8GB vs 80GB!?!?!? I was thinking about the 250GB, as it allocates more system memory to android apps.....but the 8GB version is thinner and lighter and less likely to have issues due to the lack of moving parts....and I hear you can tinker with the device in order to increase system memory :)

I found I hardly listened to EVERYTHING on my Ipod, so do I need 80GB with me at all times??....

I can always add a 32GB micro sd card :)

The device is brill. If you follow some of the great advice on these reviews then you will get all you need out of the device but by going on the forums, you can really open up a world of "tinkering". Look out for Mr Temperton input....it's the dogs :)

This really is a great device and surprisingly cheap if you purchase it from a well known high street retailer...and claim cashback.

For the price I paid, it really was a bargain and I hear / read on the interweb there will be an enhanced version of this unit coming out in 2012....but I don't care I've had my ipod for around 6 years and never thought about moving to the itouch....due to cost and memory size limits....

This is the perfect device for my pocket and my needs....first music and then everyhing else :)

Liking it alot :)

So, I now have a very portable device with a cool 7 inch screen, bluetooth, wifi, sd card slot blah, blah, blah....All I need :)

If you decide to take the plunge please do read up on the advice here and on forums to get the most out of the device :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you :):)

4.0 out of 5 stars archos 70 8gb, 24 April 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
I just recently took delivery of my archos 70 8gb and although i'm very pleased with it i have a few little gripes hence the four stars.As it is my first tablet i wouldn't say that i was an expert on the matter although i would say my tablet is a little bit "temperamental" and not what i was expecting .I find that on some occasions it will hang and on other occasions refuse to power down.and also it can be a little bit sluggish on start up but thats probably the amount of apps that i have.Right thats the gripes out of the way! i will be honest and say i have hardly put it down since i got it and i find myself using it more than my desktop p.c! the wireless connectivity is excellent and the games i have played so far run very smooth with no real slow down. I haven't really had the chance to use the media player on it but i will get round to that. the appslib is ok if a little sparse but you should really aim for android market when you get the chance.I used arctools app to set that up.the touch screen is nice and bright with good colours and very responsive and the unit feels quite solid even though it is mainly plastic.i did my homework on similar priced tablet pcs and this seemed to be the best of the bunch so overall i'm chuffed to bits with it and it was an absolute bargain as well so good grins all round!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good! but with a few moans!!, 28 Nov. 2010
R. Cartwright "TT" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
Well its here! The new Archos Range! and lucky for me I had a chance of both 10.1 and the 70 to play with, but sent one back!.
Allthough, both machines have there fallbacks. This one I can't seem to put down!!
As previouse Archos machines, it has its fare share of problems, (but then when you consider Ipad and IPhone are no different in relations to faults, returns and meltdowns when it comes to faulty products)yet this and older machines still hold up in the world of PMP's.
I have no major complaints with both machines in there ability to do what we all want them to do.(read Manufactures Description) It plays just about any format, HD works fine on screen and through Mini-Main HDMI Lead onto your Tv. (not supplied) The onboard apps are good and side loading Google Apps is easy. A Bluetooth Keyboard is a must (Review latter, when I get one for a christmas present...lol) and a nice portable Bluetooth speaker, might be a good present too.
The moans are:
The kick stand is plastic and feels like it might snap, so look for a skin or case. Hopfully TuffLuv will be bringing one out soon.
The Tablet is a slight off balance , so using it as a reader or playing some games (lengthways) might strain your wrists...(still this can be rectified by a well designed case)
The conections on the side are tight, but will probably loos-en in time,(The power suply being the main one to be careful with) so make sure you take time in conecting external lines.
All in all I'm happy with the Archos 70...Great machine and a snip, compared to Ipad and Galaxy 7.

Update: Apps 2.2 is now availible for both Archos 10.1 and 70, Latest firmware update 2.0.71 is now availible, fixing many of the current issues.
TuffLuv is releasing cases for both machines within the next few weeks and availible to order just after Christmas.
Have found a great bluetooth speaker, that sounds wicked! and works well with both machines....Creative D100 Pure Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System - Black... also if anyone wishes to use a bluetooth keyboard with there device, have been asured that the Logitech Bluetooth pro will work Logitech Cordless Mediaboard pro (Bluetooth) (PS3).............
Further Update: Can comfurm Bluetooth Keyboard works a treet!!!....Still enjoying this machine and have found the Archos Forum Site a must for advice on games, Apps ...etc!
UPADTE 2011: Have now brought the Archos 70 Case from TuffLuv. HAve found this case to be a well worth buy. Very well made, fits like a glove and the Tri Axis works a treat! Archos 70 feels safe within the case and allthough I would like the option of a Skin Case as well, Im happy to stick with this.[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, 19 Feb. 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
My Archos 70 arrived less than a week after I ordered it sealed and boxed as promised.

I had carried out quite a bit of research into tablets and decided this one was the best value for money for my requirements, and Archos have a good name.

Mine came with Android 2.2 installed and all I had to do was install "market". Don't be put off by having to do this. The Archos forums are probably the best out there with help on most things you encounter.

The best surprise with this tablet is the quality of the display. The images and words are crisp and clear & video's are excellent. The screen is capacitive and works really well with your fingers, even with the "pinch" zoom.

The performance is good, flash plays well with youtube, BBC and TV catchup. DVD movies ive downloaded play really good, although with some formats you need to purchase the codecs, but these are less than a £10. Browsing is very fast and you have such a wide selection of browsers on Android. Dolphin seems most peoples favourite.

Music quality is "OK" through the speakers, just like most laptops, but is I pod quality through some decent headphones. I just dragged and dropped mine from windows. Connection is a mini usb straight to your pc. Mine picked it up right away with no problems

The build quality seems good so far, the screen staying in A1 condition after a good clean.

The unit stays cool during operation even when playing video and browsing. Battery life is also very good. I get about 5 - 6 hours whilst browsing and playing music.

All in All i am very happy with the Archos. If you want a unit for web browsing, music and video playback, e mails and games you won't go far wrong.

If it had a sim slot i would give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Archos 70, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
Arrived promptly and well packed. I had done a lot of research before buying, so it was easy to upgrade to Froyo.
Have installed full Google market, you just download the NEW Archos 4 app (version2) and follow instructions.
The book reader is as good as the Kindle. Email installed promptly because I am on gmail, and it installs all your contacts even the updates. Lots of other uses to look forward to. One other thing - to run a 3g dongle, you just need a router like the edimax which could run off 12 volt in the car, but looks like a wi-fi network to the Archos. The dongle goes into the routers usb socket, dont forget to enter the right APN for your dongle, and you have connection to the internet. Secure your router from other people.
The Archos 70 usb port is their own type, so a few converters may be needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars archos 70, 10 May 2011
C. L. Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet (Personal Computers)
I have had the archos for about a month and its a great piece of kit.Its just the right size for watching movies (which is why i bought it ) but it also plays music which i must say sounds better out of the speakers then the headphones.There are loads of other stuff like Apps but at 65 i don't really know what they are.I can go on the internet too but the onscreen keyboard is a bit fiddly. You can have your favorites on the desk top like yahoo Facebook and eBay which makes them easier to get to.I also purchased a battery holder which acts as a spare battery and holds 4 AA battery's but i don't know how long they last.All in all its a great piece of kit and i am very happy with it.I could of bought the 250GB one but i was thinking about the weight. Great piece of kit

ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet