VINE VOICEon 23 February 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
PagePlus X5 is the latest version of the award winning DTP program from Serif. I've been using PagePlus off an on since the very first edition, and it just gets better and better. However, that is not to say it is lacking in anyway, in fact it absolutely bulging with impressive features. Whether you are a home user wanting to produce some flyers for your school fate or a business wanting to produce your company brochure PagePlus can handle it with ease. Infact if it comes in print then PagePlus can do it, from small business cards up to full novels, magazines, newspapers and large scale posters.

PagePlus can open, edit and create Adobe PDF documents as well as being able to import various file formats including Microsoft Word and OpenOffice Documents as well as several others. Also PagePlus can import a huge number of image formats, connect directly to your scanner or from a Phto-CD. It can even imbed objects in your documents such as a spreadsheet, so that when you double click on it the appropriate program is launched to edit it. Saving is limited to either a PagePlus Publication, Template or exporting to PDF.

Of course, if like me you've got the last release (X4) then you will be wondering if it worth upgrading to X5? The anser is not a simple yes or no as it will depend very much on whether you need the new features. There is a handy description of the new features over on Serifs website [] that will help you decide whether the upgrade is worth it.

As for the editing/compostition features in PagePlus I can not even begin to list them all! Needless to say if you can think of it, then it is probably there, and some you'd never think of! Text wrapping, frames, flow control, page numbering, cross referencing, Contents/index creation, graphics editing (limited but sufficient) and lots more.

Support is very good, in particular via the official Serif forum, where you will often find Serif Staffers willing to help. I have reported bugs before on the forum and had them reported as fixed and included for the next update within hours! Also the general public on their are a helpful bunch and will do what they can to find a solution to you questions, be it a bug, a design qquestion or a 'how do I'...

So overall I would recommend PagePlus to everyone.
VINE VOICEon 25 February 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First off, i'm not an expert at desktop publishing so I don't have any experience of InDesign or Quark to compare it against.

I got this because I was looking for a way to create some leaflets, adverts and stationary for my business and was tired of paying graphic designers a fortune to come up with things that I don't think were any better than what I could do I then looked around at how much InDesign and Quark and their ridiculous costs and decided to give up until this popped up in my inbox from Amazon.

The price on it is still more than I would probably have hoped to pay but I have to say i'm happy with it nonetheless.

Installing it was easy and problem free, it comes with some nice template documents that you can base your own designs on and it let me print out some booklets on A4 with all the fold marks worked out for me so I only had to staple them together.

Actually designing on it was a bit daunting at first and it took me a long while to set up all the things I wanted and work out how to switch layers round into the order I wanted but I got there in the end and the help section in it is quite useful for newbs like myself. I also loved the colour scheme tool which helped me pick which colours went well together so my ad didn't look too garish!

Overall, it's a great little piece of software and from what i've seen so far there's still plenty of useful features for me to discover. The only real criticism is that I did get some noticeable PC slow down problems in some places but nothing too bad and more a minor quibble than anything else!
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Installation of this software was quick and easy - worked well. Once installed it immediately links to a few short tutorials on-line, which are helpful to get started. They cover more than 1 thing in each tutorial though, so once you have been working for a while and want to go back to a particular feature it can be a little awkward to find what you need. I then proceeded to produce the outline of an 8 page newsletter, and have to say it worked very well. Even without having explored the full functionality of the software it becomes clear that the scope is enormous.

You can start with a blank page and build up the full design yourself, but there is also a range of standard design templates to choose from - the designs are not necessarily my cup of tea, but will work perfectly well for beginners or as a starting point (additional designs are available for purchasing). The range of publication sizes and formats is large, although very focused on the traditional sizes - as far as this software is concerned a newsletter is A4 format, I was unable to find the square size I had hoped for.

Once decided on a template I was on my own, but with the basic formats in place and armed with the tutorials it worked pretty well. I was able to add in my text and pictures and do some nice "wrapping" of text around pictures, and the whole thing looked very good.

However, this software does not interact well with MS Excel. When I tried to copy ranges of cells across from Microsoft Excel files the software struggled with this. On various occasions using Ctrl V it seemed unsure whether to paste as a table or as a picture. Pasting graphs from Excel on one occasion changed one of the colours from the original and I was unable to change this. And when you get impatient and pressed buttons or moved frames with Excel data too quickly the software shut itself down - sometimes with and sometimes without error message. So make sure you save your work regularly (especially when working with Excel data).

Summing up: decent software, does what it says on the tin, but don't copy_paste from Excel without saving your work first.
Although having 6 million users worldwide, the British Serif software house perhaps isn't anywhere near as well known as it should be, despite the jewel in their crown, this desk top publisher PagePlus, having been a strong contender for the last twenty years. With the recent revamp of Microsoft Office's Publisher 2010, with a lot of new features and the new Ribbon Interface, the pressures on PagePlus X5, that costs similar money. PagePlus X5 is aimed squarely at PC proficient home users and the small office, rather than professional design studies where the fantastically expensive Adobe InDesign and QuarkXpress rule. For this reason PagePlus has plenty of guided help in-program and on-line, where there's also 'how to' [Flash] videos. Simple things help you out like the fact that groups and related objects glow as you hover over them, so you know what's being selected. PagePlus also has more templates, now 880, to help get you started and these are easily customised, plus you can buy further professional templates on-line.

PagePlus adds in powerful photo-editing, drawing, logo creation and 'cut out' studio applications. You can do things like crop, recolour, add effects, create custom graphics or modify 400 existing logos, and remove backgrounds. This is likely all you will require, and saves having to invest in separate packages to do this, although Serif also sell DrawPlus [vector drawing, Adobe Illustrator style] and PhotoPlus [image-editing, Adobe Photoshop style], which would complete the budget creative design package to create professional looking newletters, brochures, flyers, adverts, posters and so on. There's a lot of control when exporting to pdf for professional printing, emails and the web [all improved for X5], and there's a powerful in-built pdf editor. There's a raft of new features that mostly further enhance the existing tools, nothing major, but a welcome upgrade non the less. New to X5 are more templates, new smart text features, better colour management, simplified printing, interactive Print Preview, the new `hover selections', improved pdf export, updated selection tools, new `Pro Open Type' prettier text and images, new SVG file support, improved orientation/editing/drawing/wrapping and greyscales, full support for Word 2010, and the program has been tweaked to run faster. Overall it feels slicker and more pleasant to use than the previous X4 version, and athough newcomers might initially find the complex interface a bit daunting as there's a lot going on, it gets easier to more you use the program [Microsoft Publisher is probably a better bet for casual DTP users though].

PC system Requirements for PagePlus X5 are still a minimal Pentium PC with DVD/CD drive and mouse, Microsoft Windows: XP 32bit, Vista or Windows 7 operating system, 512MB RAM, 660MB free hard disk space, SVGA display (1024x600 resolution, 16-bit colour or higher). This assumes you are a rather patient sort, as a fast multi-core PC with 4Gb+ RAM and a DirectX 10 3D Accelerated graphics card would speed things up rather. In fact PagePlus X5 can still be sluggish on a modern but basic office PC/Laptop - or as Serif put it: "Additional disk resources and memory are required when editing large and/or complex documents, plus the use of Large Fonts in your Windows® settings may necessitate a higher resolution display." To use PagePlus X5 you would also benefit from a colour printer, fast internet access, a TWAIN-compatible scanner and/or a digital camera, and a Wacom A5 Bamboo stylus input pad [to supplement the mouse for precision drawing/editing].

There's plenty of tools within PagePlus to produce far more professional results than the basic templates supplied, as all the old layout tools are there offering everything from master page layouts to transparency, and glass & metal effects to get you from a template or pdf, through the design, effects & editing studio and off to the printer or the web. There's a duplexing wizard to get you printing booklets and brochures correctly in-house, or you can export the project to pdf and get it off to professional printers for top quality results. There's press-ready PDF output presets, PDF/X-1a compliance for commercial presses and print houses, RGB, CMYK and Pantone® colour support and ICC colour management. And to quote PCPro: "Most importantly, while concentrating on office-based ease of use, PagePlus X5 is also more serious about commercial print than its main rival, Microsoft Publisher. This makes it a good option for occasional publishers who can't justify the cost of InDesign or QuarkXPress". The install program comes in a tidy little thin DVD case - and although there's no free bulky printed manual these days, there's plenty of help in-program, on-line and as a pdf manual - and you can buy the printed 'user manual' and/or the 'resource guide' separately if you wish. And if you wait a while until a new version is on the cards, upgrade prices can be cheap. So another 4.5* for PagePlus [X5], and for me, with the many tweaks and new features, it's worth the upgrade price over X4.
review image review image review image
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having just started a small business, I needed some software that I could use for my posters, flyers, adverts etc .. and page Plus X5 from Serif is proving to be all that I need, and much, much more besides.

There is no way I will ever get to use all the functions and tools that are contained within the subtle packaging .. but judging by the included instructions and guides if I tried I would need to set aside a year or three !

Not to say its complicated to use, its just thorough !

My last experience with software of this general sort was with a copy of CS3 .. and that was really good so I didn't really expect the same sort of intuitiveness from software costing a fraction of the price. I was wrong.

I set myself the task of creating a simple 6"x4" postcard style flyer and in a nutshell, I did it in a half hour. I could have spent longer, but mainly because I kept discovering tools I could experiment with !

It does exactly what it says it will, and if you have the time you can get a lot from this software .. for the price of the software and book that can really show you how to get the most from Page Plus X5 you could easily save money on designing your own printed material .. and have a bit of fun getting all creative !
on 5 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Given it's price I wasn't expecting much from PagePlus X5. Added to this I use Adobe's Creative Suite 5 on a daily basis so I tend to find any pretender to the throne usually laughably poor (I'll admit a degree of snobbery here). As it turns out that PagePlus X5 is pretty damn good.

Unlike CS5, which is a collection of separate (but closely tied) programmes, PagePlus is a page layout package with vector and bitmap editing abilities built-in. This does make life a bit easier for the novice, as they don't have to jump between programmes - or try and figure which one would be best for the task at hand.

After starting the programme you are invited to choose a template from a substantial library of letterheads, comps slip, business card and newsletters etc. The template can be followed rigidly or fiddled with how you see fit. Type styles, columns and colour-ways can all be changed with ease. Alternatively you can start with a blank sheet and go from there. There are also plenty of 'get you started' movies (and more) on the manufacturers website.

Placing bitmap images into the document is straight forward, and can be edited within a sub-programme using a pretty broad selection of of tools, allowing selections, colour corrections, transparency - in fact all most people will need. Vector drawings on the other hand are created directly on the page and although the control point handles were a bit clunky it's pretty easy to create quite sophisticated graphics with the supplied toolset.

Once you're done you can output your document in several formats including the print industry recognised X-1a format PDF (which is more than a lot of other competing software manages).

While it's not going to threaten the mighty (and expensive) Adobe Creative Suite it's hard to criticise PagePlus for the money. It's capabilities far exceeded my expectations and too be honest if all you want to do is create the odd advert or newsletter PagePlus X5 is all you need.
on 1 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am neither a professional designer nor graphic-expert, and only got this because I do a bit of publishing but mostly only using MSWord. I was hoping this would help enhance some of the things that I want to do without having to resort to professional designers etc or get buried in something too time consuming.
Installation is straightforward and immediately links to some short tutorials on-line, which are quite helpful to get you started. It comes with several template documents that you can start using straight away. It took a bit of experimenting to really utilising some of the features, but each time I now use it I find that its easier and always learn something new or extra! It's really a great piece of software and I've still got plenty of features to discover. It can also open, edit and create Adobe PDF documents as well as import other file formats including Word.
Overall am really pleased. I wasn't expecting that I would end up using it so much and am usually chuffed with the end product
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having spent a lot of time with this, all I can say is that, unless you're into serious commercial printing, there seems little point in paying for InDesign or Quark. It never felt like a budget option. I have Publisher 2010 but much preferred PagePlus and am likely to use it from now on.

It was very easy to get started and I had a lot of fun `playing'. There are some very clever touches to the interface such as the way objects light up when you hover your mouse over them to indicate what will happen if you click. PagePlus ran very sweetly on my PC and never seemed likely to run out of steam.

There's an extensive range of templates to cover just about anything you might want to create - newsletters, brochures, stationery, business cards, etc. Importantly, it's simple to customise them and create original designs of your own or make them match existing documents. The Colour Scheme Designer lets you create custom colour palettes too.

Graphics support and photo handling capabilities are comprehensive, with most formats supported - jpg, tif, psd and so on. And text handling is equally impressive, making it generally straightforward to achieve exactly the appearance you want. Advanced features such as cross-referencing are supported.

Print preview allows customisation of output and the print dialogue itself offers a wide range of options including mail merge. You can also create PDFs with extensive support for professional features.

Something easily overlooked is support. It's much easier to access support staff than it's likely to be with other products and I found them patient and knowledgable. The user forum is great too, with some very helpful people including Serif staff contributing.

Unless you really need some of the more esoteric features in competitive packages, I'd suggest choosing PagePlus every time.
on 21 July 2011
On starting up the system seemed daunting but I quickly got to grips with the contents of the manual and "help" on screen which combined to help me to very quickly produce useful documents. Wish I'd bought it years ago as I've always had a need for DTP and struggled with various variants of Word which never did exactly what I wanted.
Lets start by saying this is not a bad program for the price and for those only considering up to A4 prints it will serve well particularly if you are in an industry well covered by templates. Alas as photographers we were not but that is not a major issue. Do expect to spend a significant amount of time going through the tutorials though. That is not my criticism. Simply something you must expect with any program that has the amount of power and functionality in PagePlus

What has proved a real pain however is the programs complete inability to handle images of any size. Quite why is utterly baffling. With the virtual paging and huge memory of a modern computer it simply should not be an issue but it is and a serious one. If you have a modern digital camera for example you are quite likely to discover that your default images are simply too large for the program to handle. And no, it does not matter how you compress the image as the limit is the physical number of pixels not the image size in magabytes. Nowhere does the program advertising or tutorials warn you of this. You simply get a blank image and are left to delve into the online help forums to discover the annoying truth from other users.

This means that before I can use any images in Serif I first have to degrade them. Effectively the largest image you can have on your project at printer resolution is around A4. This means that while there may be A3 projects you cannot design one where the main image is anywhere near that. A real nuisance to me as a photographer.

Even worse the program will only embed an image of around 250K. Anything larger and it simply links to it. Which seems ok until you think that through.Because the image is linked you cannot for example move the project onto a USB stick to swap between computers. This means I cannot simply start a project on the home computer then take it to the studio and carry on there.

Finally the above restrictions all but rule out using the program for a whole range of common publishing tasks many small businesses carry out. Large Banners, A1 and above posters, Those roll up advertising signs. All risk going outside what this program is capable of.

The DTP world in general has moved on to the point where you can now get huge banners and posters printed with ease. Serif alas are still stuck in the 80's where anything much larger than A3 would be bodged up by printing loads of overlapping tiles you then paste together.

In short this is a superb program for designing SMALL publications and well worth the money if that is what you want. Obviously as a photographer I have Photoshop but with practise I hoped PagePlus would be simpler for many tasks and of course it is.

I'm just disappointed at discovering a major restriction. One that is not mentioned anywhere in the program and one that should not exist anyhow.

See one answered question