5.0 out of 5 stars What's new?
If you have read my review of AVG 9, you will see that I think AVG is the best of its type.
Amazon cd disc (4 users/2 years) is under half the price of buying download from AVG direct and you get the disc.

Published on 20 Nov 2010 by RobG

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but hassle with licence numbers
Having used AVG anti-virus for several years, I bought the full Internet Security 2011 package for 4 computers. The product is good: does what it says on the box, but I have one major complaint.
Published on 11 Jan 2011 by johnathon

5.0 out of 5 stars What's new?, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC) (CD-ROM)

Problems? I inserted disc and downloaded setup file to desk-top. But after entering Sales Number security code the set up stopped due to a conflict with AVG 9 already installed.
Instructions on line did not say this would happen!
Then when I tried to remove AVG 9, it would not complete its removal due to corruption.
Cure? I downloaded from AVG support page the AVG removal tool 3915, which removed all traces of AVG, rebooted and then installed AVG 2011 again - and it installed perfectly.

Downloaded updates and then registered. No problem here - website showed permanent Registration Number on completion of form and confirmation email was received in seconds. Copy and pasted in to registration section over-riding Sales Number and now registered for 2 years. Job done.

Moral of the tale: Remove old AVG first before trying to install.

Simpler set up than AVG 9. Same menus style etc and some new features, otherwise I cannot yet see any differences. If it ain't broke dont fix it..........

Have not tried to load on to second computer yet but optimistic!

Addendum:
1) I have now installed on to two other computers without problems. Removed AVG 9.0 first and then actually downloaded AVG 2011 Download Manager from AVG website (rather than use the disc) which downloads the latest edition.
You can use the disc but you then have to download mountains of updates. The Registration Number received after installing the first copy worked fine on subsequent installations whether I used the disc or the website download.
2) The expiry date is linked to the date you install on the first computer, not the date you install on each computer.
3) Problem with SPAM on all three computers: Spam emails are marked as such but no longer automatically go into the junk folder (SPAM) on receipt, but remain in the INBOX.
On AVG9, spam emails always went directly into the junk folder. I think this is a bug which I recall was present on AVG9 when first released. Waiting for technical support to advise...
4) On start up, less processing power used and faster to engage = less delay in using your computer
(I use Windows XP).
5) Scans are completed faster.

Update:
Re Point 3: AVG Support booked a time with me to phone and help sort out the Spam problem. They remotely accessed my machine and spent 1.5hrs deleting AVG registry files and reloading AVG2011. System seemed to work faster but problem not fully resolved. Reason? My Outlook is 2002 edition and AVG2011 designed for 2007/10 edition. This is the only bug I have found and full marks to AVG support for persevering.

4.0 out of 5 stars AVG 2011, 3 Jan 2011
Easy set up. Already an existing AVG user, this was a simple renewal, as cheaper from Amazon than direct from AVG. Input sales licence into renewal box (which gave 30 day licence) and directed me to AVG website, where a full 2 year licence was generated. Copy and paste this into licence box, and hey presto, next 2 years sorted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but hassle with licence numbers, 11 Jan 2011
You get the licence number in the box to type in when installing the software, but it turns out that this is only valid for 30 days. You have to go online within 30 days and register the product to get a 'full' licence number, which then has to be inserted to keep the software fully active. If you don't, the software will become inactive. This is a lot of hassle when you have to do it on all 4 computers. In my opinion, this is totally unnecessary, and maybe bordering on the illegal?? If I have bought and paid in full for the software it is entirely unethical to send it out with a licence number only valid for 30 days. Registering the product should be voluntary, not compulsory. AVG should make this point clear when selling the product. If I had known this beforehand, I might not have bought the software. In any case, AVG got all my details, e-mail address and so on when I bought it; what more do they want?
Sorry, AVG, but I don't like the way you do business. You may have caught me this time, but next time round I won't be buying AVG.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full set of tools to keep your PC safe!, 22 May 2011
Nikki-ann - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having a PC already installed with the free version of AVG, I jumped at the chance of testing out AVG Internet Security 2011. The installation didn't go quite as smoothly as I'd have liked, well, the problem was more with trying to uninstall the previous version (it just wouldn't uninstall)! However, once that was sorted the installation of this went smoothly.

The advantage this version has over the free version is that there's around double the amount of security features. The firewall set to work straight away and added Firefox to it's safety list as I accessed it to register the software.

The software also includes AVG PC Tuneup which helps speed up the PC and gets rid of any unused or temporary files, freeing up disk-space. I'm finding the PC faster already! AVG PC Tuneup also enables file recovery for files which have been accidently deleted or damaged.

For 2 years worth of protection on up to 4 computers, and for the job it does, I think AVG Internet Security 2011 is well worth the month.

4.0 out of 5 stars AVG 2011 Internet Security 2011, 22 Feb 2011
This product arrived very quickly and installed with no problems, the only down side is that additional product that came with it would only install on one PC (PC Tune up 2011).

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of faulty installation and non-existent technical back up., 15 Feb 2011
Johnnybluetime - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is not a review of this product, but a warning to others after using a previous edition.

We used to use Sophos, but in March 2010 I got AVG 9.0 on a 2 year licence for up to 3 computers.I installed it our desktop pc and thought I had no problems,although I see from my browser history that since installing AVG the browser has frequently crashed.Also,the pc has noticably slowed down.When I tried to install it on the laptop, unbeknowst to me,it installed for only a year not 2.When I started getting reminders that it was running out I tried to contact AVG via the laptop but just kept being told there was an error and to try again later.Tried to contact AVG via the desktop - same problem.When the year ran out AVG was remotely removed from my laptop,so I reinstalled it (4 times so far and every time with a different result).Now it tells me my definitions are out of date even after I've just updated them, and that I only have a one month free licence.I remain unable to contact AVG over the internet.Dreadful product and dreadful technical backup and I can't believe either has improved in a year.Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy install and excellent value for money!, 6 Feb 2011
The DVD comes in a "jewel" case (not the large box pictured, so can be put through your letter box!) and is an excellent deal for this price. Installation (contrary to what someone else has said) is very VERY easy. The leaflet inside explains the steps: register online (name, email address, country), submit the "Sales" number, check your email for the license number and you're ready to go. This is how AVG has always worked (I used to have AVG 2009). As someone else has mentioned you don't even need to use the disc, you can download the trial version from the website and that will be up-to-date and during the installation you can simply copy-paste the license number from your email. Installation takes about 5 to 10 mins and this version is even less resource hungry and has a smaller footprint than the 2009 version. Infinitely better than McAfee! The AVG PC Tune Up software (which I have not installed) also comes with a separate sales number but on the same disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hassle Free .., 9 Jan 2011
Rk Nair "rajkn" (UK) - See all my reviews
Being in IT, have used many anti-virus products over many years and found AVG to be an excellent product. It installed without any issues (You need to un-install any other anti-virus products you may already have and select 32 bit or the 64 bit installation depending on the system you have - If not it wont work) and does it jobs pretty well. Runs quitely in the background and does not slow down your pc and hog resources. The free PC tune up application is a great addition and helps maintain your PC in optimum condition. In all a good product at a great price ..

5.0 out of 5 stars The best AVG suite yet at and a bargain price, 27 April 2011
Book Critic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a user off and on of the AVG security suite for some years but each time found I had to remove after a while due to various problems of instability, system slowdowns, software conflicts or whatever. I was a beta tester for the 2010 version and so even had some small input into its' design. I was keen to try this new version as soon as it was offered to me and so far I have not been disappointed.

Firstly let me explain how I always install security software of this type and I would suggest that for best results those considering installing AVG Internet Security or any similar product do likewise to avoid system errors or software conflicts. Nearly all these products come with a trial period of several weeks, time enough to decide to purchase the product or not after a period of use. Looking through the other reviews here on Amazon it would seem that installing the CD version particularly when (I suspect) failing to ensure other security software is not fully removed may well be a bad idea.

Firstly,I went to the AVG website and download the latest version of the software. That way I can avoid tiresome post install downloads to the version on the CD and be sure that any bugs therein have been dealt with. Be aware that a separate download is necessary for AVG PC Tuneup which is included on the CD. I then uninstalled the security suite I was using before and rebooted my PC. From this clean system I was able to install the very latest versions of AVG Internet Security 2011 and AVG PC Tuneup. I chose the advanced install option and this was quick and simple with none of the long delays often associated with security software of this type. I was surprised that AVG did not remind me to uninstall other security products either during the install process or in the paperwork for the software.

After rebooting I was pleased to see that my system started up with no more than a minimal delay, so often security software can seriously slow down the time it takes for your machine to completely restart. As my system started and I began to use I was mildly annoyed to see that although I had opted not to use the installed `Trusted Database' of known applications but rather to define rules for each application when as it requested internet access in fact this was ignored and the database was used each time.

I was then given the option to undertake an initial full scan of my system. Although, or perhaps because, this was carried out in the background it did not slow my use of the computer down too much but it did take several hours to complete. With hindsight I should have perhaps allowed this to have taken place overnight.

I then decided to register the software and this proved to be an annoying two stage system. Entering the lengthy serial number from the CD only gave a temporary registration for a month and I had to then follow a link to the AVG website, complete a form and then receive the actual serial number on screen and then confirmed by email. I have never encountered this system before and can only think it is so the AVG can harvest your personal details for marketing purposes.

OK, so AVG Internet Security 2011 is installed and registered how is it running after several days of use? Very well indeed, I have to say. I have no noticed no slowdown in daily use of my PC or in the time it takes to start up. The User Interface of the software is fast and easy to use. The product is reasonably easy to navigate from the main screen.

It allows for different security profiles when using under different circumstances: home network, direct to internet etc, however this can be disabled to allow for the same settings to be used all the time. A boon for a user moving around a series of trusted networks.

ON demand scans are quick but it open the both a small notification window and the main application window. I could find no way disabling this, as I would prefer just the small scan alert window to display unless an infection is found.

The suite contains all the usual components: protection against, virus, spam, spyware, rootkits, etc together with a very effective and easy to configure firewall, link protection, internet censoring option, live system monitoring etc. It also offers a free limited trial of the their LiveKive online backup system, but there are superior cheaper and even free rivals available elsewhere.

A word about the AVG PC Tuneup 2011 software bundled with the main product, This seems a component and well engineered variation of the standard tuneup and system tweaking suites which are widely available. I found scan times to be slow. Nothing to really to write home about and I am not sure I would pay the asking price for the standalone item but very nice to see it supplied at no extra charge here.

In balance I would say this an excellent if unexciting security suite offering all the usual protections but with an agreeably low impact on system performance and at a genuinely bargain price.

The Good

Full protection for your PC from most malware and online threats

Useful Tuneup application included for free

Protection for 4 PC over two years makes this a bargain unmatched elsewhere

Attractive packaging and install guide

Rapid on demand virus scans

Minimal impact on system performance

Better than average web browser protection

Default install settings work well for most user

The Bad

Possible issues when installing direct from CD

Lengthy and convoluted registration procedure

No warning over possible software installation conflicts

Disabling the Firewall `Trusted Database' seems to fail

Initial full virus scan took several hours

No more than a standard set of features offered

No free online backup space available.

AVG toolbar available for Chrome brow

5.0 out of 5 stars AVG 2011, 20 Feb 2011
Alan Vint - See all my reviews
Excellent and does what it says on the tin. Bought off Amazon at half the price from AVG for 2 year licence and got the disk as well rather than relying on downloads. Worked straightaway but I did fully clear last years out first.

Also included free 2 yr licence for PC Tune up which is awe inspiring - when first ran it detected 3289 faults with my computer and then fixed them! Also shows me that on start up there are over 900 things that start, so I am going through all of these one by one and disabling those that are unnecesary - it tells you which direct off the internet. So far, I am stopping around two thirds of the items as completely unnecesary, so it should make the computer a lot quicker when I have finished.

Well worth the price.

AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 User, 2 Year Subscription (PC) by AVG Technologies Ltd. (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock