on 28 April 2014
There is something very isolating about having an alien intelligence inside your brain. Dont read this if you like company. I was quite enjoying it until 70 per cent. Then the alien told him what came next and I couldn't be bothered with the predictability of it so I skipped to the end. Oh yes, there isn't an end either. Just another book!
on 8 January 2015
I was torn between giving this either three or four stars. Whilst the story had some interesting moments and was easy to read, I personally didn't buy into some of the science and flaws of the main character.
on 21 March 2013
This was quite possibly the best book (of this type of S/F) that I have ever read.
It made me laugh and cry in almost equal measure, the plot
varied through out the book, but was always highly entertaining.
I'm not sure if the sexual activity between Bandicut and Julie would suit every reader, but it didn't cause me any offense.
I shall most certainly read the rest of the Chaos series and will investigate other novels by this author.
I think that Jeffrey Carver has written a great book and I look forward to more of his work.
on 31 May 2013
I've always been a SF fan and one of my story lines would include an astronaut landing on a strange planet and discovering new colours.
But how does one describe a new colour? You cannot.
Anyway this was pie in the sky as no author had ever described my storyline.......until now!
In the last chapter, Jeffrey A. Carver states that out hero experiences new colours, but succinctly, does not try to describe what they are.....an impossible task.
Will be downloading vols 2 and 3.
on 28 November 2012
An enjoyable story.

The pace is a little uneven but then I suppose that space travel is equally uneven and perhaps the author should really be congratulated on the sense of ennui in places.

The main character is a bit flat. He has a past but his feelings about that are obscure - it's fine for the character not to be self-aware but the reader needs hooks for empathy.

The science elements are the strongest aspects and the underlying propositions are attractive.

Not attractive enough to warrant buying a sequel though, so it is just as well this book ends at a satisfactory conclusion.
on 26 October 2013
A different type of alien dying to help save the Earth, in a confusing often counter-productive fashion as our heroes get used to sharing a head, and the human half comes round to the extent of the personal sacrifice required from him to save the Earth. While an oblivious population carries on as normal in this all to believable brutal dehumanised society money is placed above common sense.
on 5 December 2012
I need to get the next book right away, and probably the one after that - a very good sc-fi yarn!
on 18 September 2013
This was a good book that had an interesting plot. It was well written and the characters carried the story well. It did feel a bit insular as it focussed mainly on the one character but the path of the character through the story was well paced and got me through. The end was very intriguing and I may look to the sequel to see what happens.
on 20 June 2014
Got this free from the Amazon store as a filler between other series I am reading, lol, bad idea. Now I have another series to read. Hooked right from the off, not one single complaint can I think of. Thanks Jeffrey.
on 20 October 2015
I can only give this book three stars, but that in itself may be misleading. It's not just an okay read. There are really terrible problems with pacing and plotting - in some ways this is just a one star read. But the author has something - I actually finished it, and am kind-of-sort-of thinking about reading the next one.

The single biggest problem with the book is that the first three quarters are taken up with the main character doing very little. It's incredibly obvious what he *eventually* is going to have to do, but he just spends a long time not doing it. A lot of time is spent explaining why nothing can be explained just right now. There are lots of characters, who might even have been interesting (did I mention the author isn't terrible at writing?), but ultimately none of these matter to the arc of the story. The final part of the book is just doing what he didn't spend the first three quarters doing, and there is little in the way of surprise there.

There are some other things that don't work. Somehow one of the protagonists who has been waiting for a *really* long time knows there's a problem coming up *really soon* - but doesn't know what the problem is or where it's coming from, so needs lots of data to figure it out. So how did he know there was a problem in the first place? The author has spoken about his interest in Chaos theory, and that informs some of this. But it doesn't really make much sense.

So - it's a mixed review. I wouldn't normally even finish a book with such huge problems... but as I say, the author has something. Let's hope it gets better in the later books (if I get around to reading any of them...)