Published 8 months ago by Mr. A. T. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy
Published on 3 April 2012 by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars From the picture on Amazon this looked exactly the same with the plastic coated handle and when it arrived I was not disappointe, 22 Sept. 2014
Mr. A. T. Jones (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
Very similar to a dog tether sold by a well known chain of car accessories and bike stores in the UK. I had used one of their tethers for a number of years but when we moved abroad, it must have got left behind as I could not find it when I was recently packing camping gear ready for a trip. From the picture on Amazon this looked exactly the same with the plastic coated handle and when it arrived I was not disappointed. The steel rod is a substantial 8mm diameter, most are 7mm or even a bendy 6mm. The "Pinches" in the rod, above and below the swivel that retain it in place, are radiused which reduces the possibility of the rod snapping at this point when screwing into difficult ground. This once happened to me with a tether where the pinches were square with sharp conrners and therefore introducing a stress concentration at a weakened point. You should always check this part on any dog tether you consider buying. The rating says dogs up to 30kg (66lbs) though I tethered two dogs with a combined weight of 56kg, however the heavier dog of 30kg was the only one who was likely to exert a big pull and he never managed to damage it. One reviewer complained about the max. dog weight only being 30kg but if you have a heavier dog then I doubt you will find one in any pet shop with a higher rating. I have looked at many tethers and if I could have found a stronger and better one I would have bought it. I imagine a superior rated item being much more expensive and therefore pet shops and even caravan and camping specialists are probably reluctant to keep costlier, slower moving stock on lying about on their shelves.
When you camp in one place for a few days the top of the insertion hole gets enlarged but the big dog never managed to pull the tether out of the ground, the spiral radius being sufficiently large to hold well in the ground. The number of twists on the spiral are adequate, with a decent length of straight rod before the first turn. If the twisted section comes up too high near the swivel ring, my experience is that the chain or other dog lead gets caught up if the whole spiral cannot be screwed below ground because of stones or other obstructions.
In summary, I would say this seems to be the best dog tether sold on Amazon. Even if you only have a small dog the easier action of screwing a more substantial less bendy item into the ground is worth the extra over the cheap ones. From my experience the dogs have never broken one, only me, fixing one of another and inferior make, into the ground.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy, 3 April 2012
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
No where in the sales information/advert mentioned a maximum weight limit for dog so purchased for a camping holiday with our pet. When stake arrived packaging said 'up to 30kg'. Our dog is 33kg and as it was too late to find another, had to try it. Unfortunately it bent within first few minutes! More specific information would have saved me the expense and worrying how to tether our pet. Great idea for smaller animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
We bought this to go with PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Cable. It was brilliant whilst we were on holiday in our caravan and have also used it in our garden since. It helped secure a large terrier who is both strong and determined. Easy to use. Very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 May 2014
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
I use it for a young collie pup when i am working outside. Very strong and sturdy and a lot thicker than I expected. The first time i used it was on grass that was dry and hard and it went in no problem. The only thing I would point out is the end is very sharp and the rubber cover that came with it broke very easily

Overall a brilliant product and outstanding value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and robust, 13 April 2014
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
Solidly made and will work with quite a strong medium sized dog. Easy to install and quite secure, it does the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dogs safe.....good stake out, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
Very good, have a bit of shock absorber to them, which means if dogs do go zooming, not stopped dead!!!! I bought two and very pleased. There is a knack to getting the corkscrew in the ground, but once worked out does just what they should do!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 18 May 2015
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
This is a brilliant piece of kit. I can screw it into the ground and remove it without asking my husband for help. It is so much sturdier than some I have seen for sale, our dog is only 14/15kg, but a real puller, and she can't move this. When it comes to our dog's safety we will not compromise, which is why we purchased this tie out stake

5.0 out of 5 stars PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
Good strong stake for the average dog - certainly well strong enough for my Yorkie and the cat! Chose this one with the plastic around the handle - easier on the hand when turning - useful for caravanning and keeping pets under control - which I wish everyone would do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good product, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
This is a really good product. Strong enough to hold a very lively Jack Russell while we have our picnic. Was a bit wary at first due to some of the other reviews, but no problem at all. Would definitely recommend to someone with a small to medium dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic addition to our garden, 20 May 2015
This review is from: PetGear by Happy Pet Tie Out Stake (Misc.)
This is a great idea for when you want to get on in the garden without a puppy trying to 'help'. Also helpful when my two girls want to bounce on the trampoline without the puppy joining. Great price, quick delivery, recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›