Price:£1.07+ Free shipping

This is a great idea for anyone who has their dog travelling on the back seat of their car.

My dog isn't happy being in a crate in the boot, she howls and pants throughout the journey making it stressful for everyone involved. As soon as she is in the back seat and is closer to us she settles down beautifully and is completely quiet. However, I don't like her being loose on the back seat for her own safety and ours.

I have tried a specialist harness which is supposed to fit around her shoulders, under her chest and then attach to the safety belt. It was awful. No matter how we tried to adjust it - and we spent hours trying different combinations of loosening and tightening straps it never fitted properly and dug into her chest and underarms.

This Happy Pet Dog Seat Belt is brilliant in its simplicity. I use the standard harness on my dog that I use on all walks. The clip on this belt hooks easily onto the D ring on the bottom of the harness and the other end fits securely into the place where you would pop in the seat belt. It is also simple to remove, I just unclip the hook on the D ring and leave the seat belt part attached to the car - it saves me setting it up next time.

It is made of a strong nylon webbing fabric, much like the leads that you can purchase in any pet store. It is easy to wipe down and clean if your pet is muddy when they get into the car.

There is enough length on this belt to allow my dog to lie down, sit up and move around a bit on the seat; she isn't stuck in one position. But, the most important thing is it keeps her as safe as is possible in the car.

I specifically attach it to a harness rather than a collar as I fear that if there were an accident and we were to stop quickly then the collar could cause a serious or fatal injury to my dog's neck. I know the harness could also cause some damage to her chest or ribs but at least the force would be distributed a little more. That is just my own personal opinion and not based on any scientific fact or evidence.

This is one of those products that has a specific purpose and it does it very well; I am pleased that we purchased it.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2011
An excellent product, it just clips onto your dogs harness or collar and goes straight into the seat belt connection. We have tried other products but our dog was most unhappy with a different harness on her. This one allows your dog to remain on the collar or harness they usually wear. It also gives them just a little leeway to move about. We went on a long journey with this belt in place and we put our dog's basket on the back seat - she was able to get into her basket so she was happy but we still knew she was secure. Our dog has never been crated or caged so that option was not open to us but we now feel very comfortable with her travelling with us. I have to add we don't usually put her basket in the back, only when we are going on a long distance. All in all a very good buy.
44 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2011
Bought this as was looking for something to keep our crazy collie restrained in the back of the car. While a bargain at £5 (when compared to dog guards), it has only lasted three car journeys. Think the dog may have chewed through it... That said, the real selling point of this product for me was the fact that it has a seatbelt buckle, offering far more restraint than the others I have seen that just have the seatbelt go through them. Has made travelling with the dog far less stressful.
on 13 December 2013
I don't normally leave reviews but I had to on this product. I bought this product to drive 5 hours down Shrewsbury from Scotland. I clipped the belt onto my dog's normal harness and set off. An hour into the journey, on the motorway, my car slipped on black ice and I lost control. The rear of my car crashed into the hard shoulder barrier then I spun across 3 lanes and hit the central barrier. It was early in the morning and luckily didn't hit anyone else. I crashed at 70mph but my dog was fine! She got some whip lash from her harness. Without this product I don't what to think about what would have happened to her. This is a must buy if you are going to short journeys or long journeys. After the accident I could got it out the seat belt holder without any problem. The clip did bend in the crash but it did not come undone :) Please buy this and keep your pet safe!
on 8 June 2011
This piece of equipment is just brilliant. My dog wears a harness anyway for walking and the seat belt attaches to this and then into the actual seat belt contraption we use to put our belts into - genius!
on 14 August 2013
The item I received is not the same as the item in the photo. Aside from the fact that it's unbranded, it looks lower quality as well. For example, the stitching is only a single row rather than a stronger X pattern as shown on the photo, the 'clasp' itself is smaller and cheaper looking, and finally the piece that slots into the seat belt is very thin metal which could easily be bent with the fingers in one hand - it is not the same thickness of metal you will find on your car seatbelt.

This may do the job of keeping a dog in one place during travel, but I would expect it to break quite readily in any sort of impact or accident.

Finally, this will not fit into the middle seat belt of a BMW 3 series, and possibly any other BMW. This may also be the case with other types of dog seat belts as well, since the middle seatbelt receiver is designed not to work with the outer belts.

I can't recommend this and will be returning it.
on 19 May 2011
This item arrived promptly and is so easy to use. Keeps my little JRT safe and out of mischief whilst travelling. Great value for money.
on 7 May 2011
Bought this to secure my dog in the car - easily clips onto his harness and plugs into any standard seatbelt. Very good product, and vital for safety !
on 25 July 2012
Description and photo clearly show "PetGear" product. Have a number of PetGear products already and always pleased with their quality. Product received today is NOT PetGear but an inferior, unbranded copy. Very disappointing.
on 21 January 2015
This item was not as pictured; the webbing was much thinner and I can't believe it was ever a PetGear one to start with (no label) . The metal on the end that fastens into the seat buckle was so thin it wouldn't even fix into the centre buckle on the back seat, which is the one we use most for the dog. I have bought cheaper ones that have been better quality and lasted longer. Started to fray already at the same end and have binned it after two days.