on 8 November 2011
Rugged, well made and functional...instantly recognised by windows (xp) and easily mapped, and recognised, to controls within any game.
Force vibration also works great.

Latest drivers available on the Speedlink website (use the product id near the bar-code on the bottom of the box to find the right driver for the product on Speedlinks' website...)

Highly recommended, cant be beaten on price and build quality, that's what got my 5 stars.
on 29 February 2012
Let's start with the good:
1.It's plug-and-play, so no faffing around installing drivers/software- you can get directly to playing
2. The quality of the buttons seem above-average
3. For those who prefer a PlayStaiton-styled controller, it's a done-deal
4. The buttons are numbered, so when you are editing controls in-game, you can recognise which buttons are which (e.g. in F1 2011)

Now onto the bad, when it comes to gamepads, the main thing above all I look for is the precision in control of the analog sticks, unfortunately this gamepad let me down. Please give a me a moment to explain:

No movement is recognised on the analogue sticks until they are moved approx 1/3 of the way across. Now why might this be pose a problem for gamers?
For racing games, there might be a slight turn in the track, so you would slightly move the analogue stick to make a smooth turn; however with this gamepad you are unable to make that small change in input as it is not picked up, and when you do reach the threshold where input is recognised by the gamepad, it adds WAY too much steering input. I hope I have made this as clear as possible to understand. This can also pose a problem if you use this pad for First Person Shooters

For those like me who prefer precision in their analogue input when playing racing games/first person shooters, I STRONGLY recommend buying the Xbox 360 Controller for PC, it's definitely worth the extra £10.

Another negative is that the controller does seem a bit too small for adult-sized hands.

Summing up the positives + negatives based on importance, I give this product 3-stars. Bad for precision gamers, very good for beginners.
on 16 December 2011
The gamepad surprised me this morning when I got back home and saw the amazon box. I was expecting it sometime next week, perhaps Wednesday. It was instantly recognised by Windows7 and a few of my games worked straight away (Meat Boy, Shank, Jamestown). Others did not, but that's fairly normal for a product of that price range.

The problem can be fixed by mapping the gamepad buttons to function as keyboard or mouse buttons which happens with special software. Xpadder is now shareware, so I would suggest you look for free alternatives online.

I played all day, it works well. Hopefully, it will remain functional for a long time.
on 30 January 2012
As soon as I opened the box, I was delighted with my purchase. The game pad feels very similar to a PS2 controller which is ideally what I wanted. Set up is easy and automatically installs after plugging it in. Does exactly what I need it for, I can play my PC games and I also use it for some of my emulators. It works a treat!
on 7 March 2013
##UPDATE##
Bought this because i prefer a PS3 style controller over the 360.

I moved it down from 4* to 3*. After a little while with the controller i've found i few more negative things.

I'll start with the positive things:
-Cheap and Affordable
-Works with most old games
-A nice clicky feel to the buttons
-Digital mode

Negatives:
-Analogue sticks aren't very good | It needs to travel a fair bit for it to register something.
-Doesn't work with some new games | This uses "Direct Input" which is old. New titles use "XInput" instead since Microsoft is pushing it. Some new games do still support "Direct Input" but XInput is taking over.
-DPAD isn't the best. | It's easy to hit other parts of the DPAD. I may hit the down button but i might also hit the left and/or right button.
-Left analogue stick picked up a little squeak when moved up | This may be just me but it might happen to others.

Summary:
It's a good controller for the price. For games that need precision you SHOULD get a different controller. Casual play, or if your playing old titles. This is a perfectly fine controller that won't break the bank.

Note:
About the squeak. I opening it up which wasn't hard. Took the analogue stick off, had a look and the plastic in the mechanism was wearing off. I cleaned it out as much as i can, the analogue stick feels smoother now but the squeak is still there. It's not as bad, but it's still there.
on 12 December 2011
very very good for PES on PC. Like playstation's controllers. Also it is nice for NBA 2K. Unfortunately i didnt try it to games like Assassins creed but i think it should be nice
on 12 May 2013
I paid extra for speedy delivery as my son wanted it quickly but it took longer than usual to arrive.The item wasn't turqouise and then proceeded to break within a few weeks. Clearly not fit for purpose. To add insult to injury I had to pay the postage of £3 to return the item. Surely if an item is faulty this cost should be met by the supplier. All in all a bit of a disaster.
on 25 July 2012
This gamepad feels nicely made, sturdy with good material - only a little worse that probably what you would expect from an official gamepad.

But the big thing that should be taken into account is the analogue sticks - they are NOT 360 directional, infact they only have 8 directions - up, down, left, right and then the four others in between. This means when playing a 3D game your character will not move smoothly according to the exact direction you're pushing the analogue stick, but instead will snap into a new 45 degree angle. When playing platformers I simply couldn't do very basic things like cross bridges that weren't at a 45 degree angle, as my character would simply fall off. The analogue sticks are simply no better at control than the D Pad, which also offers 8 directions. If you plan on only playing old games that direction require the smooth control most modern games require, then I'm sure this game pad is fine - but you could just spent a little more and get something that will play everything.

I strongly recommend the latter.
on 16 April 2014
My hobby I writing about games for an on-line database. Old PC games are getting harder to find and they are often more expensive that old PS1 and PS2 games. I've installed emulators on my computer and this game pad is just what I need to play those old games.

It's recognised by Windows and by the emulators. There were some setup issues, mainly me misunderstanding how to get the emulator software to interpret the gamepad's buttons, but now most games play Ok. Those that don't are due to problems in the emulation and not with the gamepad.

The pad feels robust enough for my purposes. The only problem for be is the Start and Select buttons which seem to stick down when pressed, having said that it has never been a problem when I've used the thing. Another plus is that because it is pink I got it cheaper and also because it's pink none of the kids will touch it.

Four stars and not five because I'm hard to please and while this is a good, solid product it didn't make me go Wow!
on 23 January 2012
I received this last Friday, and have used it all weekend. My story is very simple - I have Mame on my PC running Windows XP. I bought a controller for twice this amount from Maplins, but though it "worked" it simply wouldn't hold its calibration in Windows. For example, mid-way through Pacman it would lose its centre and move my little Pacman to the right all the time....

So I thought I'd try this controller. Voila! This one worked without problems all weekend.

I don't exactly know why the Maplin's controller didn't work properly, but I think it's something to do with the analog/digital thing. This controller (the Amazon one) has a switch on it - I left it on "digital". No more calibration problems!

What I wanted was quite simple, but wasn't simple to find. As for this controller, it looks and feels like other controllers of it's type. Design-wise it's nothing special, nor is it poor. However, having a controller that 100% works with Windows is a godsend.