Format: DVD|Change

on 9 October 2010
I used Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] [2007] to get in shape before my wedding in August, supplemented with The Tracy Anderson Method - Mat Workout [DVD] [2009] and had so many compliments from people - and not just on the day, obviously people say nice things on your wedding day! I recommended 30 Day Shred to loads of my friends because it is less than 30 minutes and still a tough, effective workout. If you're new to Jillian, you may want to start there first.

For me, No More Trouble Zones is a step up from 30 Day Shred. The intensity doesn't stay up the whole time, but I was sweating bucketloads by the end. It's a longer workout, at around 50 minutes, but it's broken down into seven 6-minute circuits so I just focus on that and know each little bit will be over soon! ;-) Each section focuses on different 'trouble zones' - which includes, I think, every major muscle in the whole body, so that sounds about right! There are a huge variety of exercises, which keeps it pacey (look on amazon.com for a great review that breaks down the whole DVD).

Even though I have always found weight training to be one of my least favourite parts of working out (I'm usually a cardio dance/pilates/ballet workout kind of girl), I am totally on board with Jillian on this one. I don't find her arrogant or annoying. Actually I think she's very motivating and inspiring...except for when she very strangely starts advertising a toothbrush on the 'Bonus' section - at least she doesn't start brushing her teeth in the middle of the workout!

Anyway, I'm pretty fit and didn't find this to be a killer but it was a great all over workout that made every muscle feel worked out. I couldn't do every exercise off the bat (like the 'windscreen wiper', eugh, I blame heavy legs!) but I like having something to work at. I have plenty of easier DVDs I can jump straight into - challenge is good! I particularly liked the mat section at the end for the lower body because it had some similarities to Tracy Anderson's style of achieving lean, toned, dancery legs.

Jillian recommends doing her workouts at least 5 days a week, and if you did, I think you'd see great results. I like variety in my workouts, though, as my knees are prone to aching from overtraining in the same exercises (this happened in week 3 or 4 of the 30 Day Shred) so I won't do it two days in a row. It will definitely go into my weekly rotation of DVDs. I also have its companion DVD Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism [DVD], which I think is meant to be more cardio-oriented, but I haven't tried it yet. In summary, however, I really recommend this DVD, particularly if you are not an absolute beginner, and you want a fresh challenge.

If you are a seasoned DVD exerciser, search 'Jillian Michaels rotation' to see how other people put together monthly rotations of her DVDs.
77 comments|164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2011
Buy this workout dvd (when it is in stock-- it seems to be regularly unavailable and then come back in!) if you want a fantastic sculpting workout that pushes you to the limit. Its companion Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism [DVD] [2008] is the pure cardio workout, this one focuses on strength with lots of arms and legs. Other than the skaters and jumping jacks during the warm up there is no jumping.
You do need weights for this one. Don't go for the heaviest ones. After you do the Surrender, your arms will be like jelly. You do A LOT of arm work -- biceps, triceps etc.
She gives modifications for beginners and advanced but sometimes not until halfway through the move. BFBM also suffers from this whereas she has corrected the problem in Six Week 6 pack.
As this is a Jillian Michaels dvd expect to sweat and to feel sore the next day. You are ALWAYS capable of more than you think. She is very motivational.
The hardest moves are The Surrender -- weights held over your your head as you go down into a kneeling position and get back up again. Do you dare let your arms go down! And the side plank.
It starts with a 5 minute cardio type warm up including skaters and jumping jacks. Then you move into 7 six minute circuits where you do repeat all moves twice. With the last circuit which has the side plank, you only do the moves once. After which, gently marinating in sweat, there is a five minute cool down. It takes about 55 minutes to complete but there is an incredible post exercise buzz once you are done.
I started my Jillian experience with the Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] [2007] and this is definately a step up from that one. If you are a beginner start with the Shred. Her latest -- Ripped in 30 isn't availaibe over here yet but like the 30 Day shred, it has 20 minute workouts with new exercises. She is addictive and so I also have theJillian Michaels: 6 Week Six-Pack [DVD] [2010](which is abs focused) and the Banish Fat Boast Metabolism. If you do the work, and give it your all, your shape will change. You will lose the inches. Guaranteed. She makes big promises so she works you hard. BUT you have to show up and do the work, not allow the dvd to gather dust. I think she is fantastic and have been really pleased with the results so far. I have much more energy and my clothing size keeps going down...
Currently I am doing a 3 day rotation with BFBM, 6Wk6pk and NMTZ as I have a lot of trouble zones as it were. It also makes me work cardio, abs and strength/sculpting. I save the 30 day shred for those days when I need a short workout. And take a rest day once a week depending on my schedule.
on 31 January 2011
I love this DVD. I got it after finishing the 30 day shred programme & wasn't dissapointed.

It's a full body workout in less than an hour. It's also progressive as you can up your weights if it gets too easy & it burns calories being composed of many compound moves that work 2 areas at once, i.e shoulders & quads, chest & abs. Though it won't substitute cardio, you still need to do that too, unfortunately! :-P

It's pure weights/toning and you will need 3lb weights for a beginner along with a mat if you have one. It begins with a 5 min warmup with dynamic stretching & cardio, the main workout is then 40 mins long, consisting of 6 x 6 minute circuits. 4-5 moves in each, performed for 30 seconds, then repeated. Then a 5 minute cool down which is just stretching.

1 is shoulders & quads, some of the moves are shoulder press with squat, back lunges with shoulder raise, press outs.
2 is chest & abs, exercises include chest press with sit up, chest fly with leg raise, bicycle crunches.
3 Biceps and glutes, some of the moves are dead lift with hammer curl, static squat with concentration curl, side lunges with bicep curls.
4 is triceps & quads. Examples are tricep kickbacks in chair pose, surrenders, crescent lunge whilst pushing arms backwards from sides of legs, this one hurts!!
5 Is core & back (though I feel there isn't a lot of back work in this dvd, it's the one thing that's lacking) including plank rows, supermans, plank twists.
6. Is core & thighs, includes side planks, inner, outer leg moves, donkey kicks. This section isn't repeated for a 2nd round.

I bought this with it's companion Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and whilst this will definately be used regularly, 3 x a week with 3 hours of cardio, BFBM won't. I just don't enjoy it like I enjoy this one.

However, NMTZ has spoiled me for other DVD's, I did a Davina Pump section the other day & felt like I wasn't working out fully because it was just arms & no legs at the same time!

Overall, it's challenging but not impossible and I can feel it the next day. Highly recommended.
22 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2013
This workout is fab, you will work every inch of your body. Be warned, if you're not a fan of working your abs like myself the exercises in this dvd will take them to their limits. After executing the abs section, I was sore for 2 to 3 days. Worth the buy :-)
on 27 May 2014
Just to give you an indication of just how effective this DVD has been for me, let me start by saying that a 3rd friend has now told me they've started Jillian's DVDs after seeing me. This should tell you that this programme ROCKS. It rocks.

I had already completed Ripped in 30, which incidentally I did on the back of a friend's recommendation after seeing HER results. I was already 'eating clean' - well in fact I was trying out all kinds of tactics to give my metabolism and weight loss a big kick start after really letting things slide last year. I have been a gym bunny on/off for over a decade, and when I've been 'on it' it's been to maximum effect. But nothing prepared me for the results I achieved with this baby. I have done this DVD more than any of my other JM DVD's (I have several) and now a family member - who is also a hardcore exerciser-has started on it after seeing my results. My frame is notably smaller, and my body firmer everywhere. I am starting to get in to size 8 dresses, despite my weight not having budged that much since my initial weight loss through doing all of these DVDs. I've lost about 1 stone, but a lot of inches. THIS is the DVD that I credit with friends and family suddenly noticing and being amazed at my change in shape. If you like hard exercise and the glow it brings afterwards, if you like to be pushed and feel as if you've really done something, then this is the DVD for you. If you want to see amazing results and are prepared to work for them, don't waste another second, and get this!

Just one comment regarding that - my aforementioned family member, who is an AVID gym bunny and works out like a beast decided to leap straight to this DVD after deciding that Ripped in 30 didn't make her sweat enough. She described NMTZ as 'horrific'. It is horrific....but horrific in a good way, if you know what I mean :)

I would advise if you do get it to invest in a really thick mat, or use 2 together if you're working on a hard surface, as there is a lot of floor/mat work. Apart from that, what are you waiting for?!
on 29 July 2011
Like most others, I bought this DVD workout having started with 30DS. I completed that and was looking for a slightly longer workout to push myself and continue my toning up. I am quite big so although 30DS had started the process of losing the inches, I was starting to get bored of the same routines and wanting something a bit more intense. This one certainly fits the bill. I have been doing it for the last two weeks, five times a week as suggested and I am loving it! It is so addictive and the days when I don't do, I actually feel guilty and down! I always feel much better and positive after I have done it. Don't get me wrong, it is very tough, I have never sweat so much as what I do when I am following Jillian but I get so much energy and results from it that it doesn't bother me and I keep coming back for more. Jillian is so encouraging and I like that she explains what the moves are doing so when you are feeling like giving up, you are determined to get to the end as you want the results she talks about getting by following the moves.

The format of this DVD is short circuits, each focussing on specific problem zones so you can pick and choose if you want or you can just follow it through which is what I have done to get an all-over-body workout. The length of each of the circuits is just about right, just as you start to burn and think you can't do anymore and want to give up, you suddenly realise that you only have one or two more to go so you push yourself. What has been brilliant that is after the third time of doing it, I could feel it was getting easier, so I must be gaining strength and improving and after one week, the toning is physically noticeable. I have quite a lot of weight to lose and it often feels like such a struggle to do it but with Jillian's DVDs by my side (have also got SWSP and BFBM is on the way), I am confident that I can do. In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed my core is stronger and my midrift is starting to flatten down, my back fat has almost disappeared- yeah!! The muscles in my arms are starting to get sculpted, my shoulders are defined and less round and I can feel the muscles in my legs developing. Each time you follow the routine, you know you aren't just building muscle but also burning away the fat which covers the muscles. I am eating normally and while being good, I am not denying myself so with a strict diet, I am sure you could get even better results even quicker but I am happy with what I am getting now.

The moves are not difficult but are completely effective. There are easier versions to do before you move on to the full blown ones and trust me, you will get stronger and will move on to the complex versions. If I can do it, so can you! I have not always been the fittest but I certainly am now and it has helped me strengthen my legs so I can start running properly too.

Go on, give it a go, you won't be disappointed!
on 20 July 2015
great hard work workout! Different from other JM workouts because all strength. Its so hard at first but now doing twice a week 4 months it feels less long and I must say I can see a difference in strength. Am a huge fan of JM - the dvds do not get boring even after several views and I do a variety so this and the yoga one, and some running / swimming I feel fitter than ever before. recommend but not for the faint hearted!
on 29 December 2010
Ok, you have to know that after the first time you do this, you will absolutely feel it the next day. Possibly just in the one spot you've been neglecting to work out, possibly everywhere. You'll want to do it again just to get the lactic acid gone for long enough so you can move without a penguin-like gait. But that's the BEST part of a kick-butt workout! You can feel the lovely dull pounding in your muscles, and you know you worked them hard, with proper form, and you just know that the flat belly, firm thighs, bounce a penny off it backside and non-jiggy arms are there just waiting to pop out. My best advice: clench your teeth and stick with it. A quitter never wins, and you will be so glad you did. Oh and get one of those little towel wrist strap things so you can at least keep the sweat out your eyes.
on 6 October 2015
I've been doing this did for a couple of years now and it's one of my favourites, since there's no bouncing moves, it keeps the pace going and it can be broken into segments so good to do when you have limited time. However, I don't know what she was thinking when giving the instruction to the two women exercising with her to constantly smile. Really creepy and off putting until you get used to the routines and no longer need to look at the screen!
on 25 October 2010
I agree with the previous review - this is a step up from 30 Day Shred - she used 3mins strength 2mins cardio & 1 min abs exercises which are repeated before going onto the next routine - there are 3 routines in each workout & 3 levels of workouts overall. I can get through levels 1 & 2 - level 3 I still find a bit hard. In NTMZ & Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, you get 7 x 6mins routines that are repeated. You will need BFBM for cardio - but you sweat A LOT during NMTZ as well. I found these a lot more difficult that 30 Day Shred - but in a good way! You will need at least an hour for each of these though. I highly recommend both - but start with 30 Day Shred before trying either of these out.

NOTE: You only need a multi-region dvd player if the dvd you are buying is Region 1 - just check the product details and this will let you know if you are buying a UK version.