on 20 August 2012
Purchased this Sat Nav as a replacement for an original TomTom so we could turn off speed camera notifications in order to comply with new laws in France. Not the biggest display around, and possibly not as many features as some other models, but a good basic unit and good value for money - has got us where we want to go, so far......
on 25 August 2011
I am very happy with my Garmin Satnav. It recalculates very quickly! A very good buy at a very reasonable price. Small and compact as well to fit in your bag.
on 17 September 2012
my old western Europe Garmin (Nuvi 205), bought in Dec 2008, was very out of date mapwise, & also insisted on rebooting - very slowly - every time the car ignition had been switched off. This one does switch itself off 15 secs after the ignition goes off, but is back in action very swiftly when turned on again.

OTOH my old one had a very inoffensive voice. This one's voice is an incredibly irritating, with Australian rising inflexion on top of the Germanic "B one thousand six hundred" rather than "B one six oh oh" - does the actual road number even need to be given, rather than just "take the second exit"? I think not. As a result I keep the voice muted all the time, which is satisfactory as long as I remember to keep an eye on the screen approaching junctions (otherwise chaos may ensue).

I don't find the feature showing an image of approaching motorway road signs at all helpful, but the lane directions in the top LH corner are very useful. (eg if there are 2 lanes leaving to the left, & 3 going straight on, the ones you should be using are shown in white & the others greyed)

Athough bought in July 2012, this version is at least a year out of date as far as local speed cameras are concerned. I am entitled to a free update, as long as I take it before October; but the unit functions beautifully at present, & would require the addition of a memory card to update, so I'm inclined to muddle along paying attention to speed limit signs instead. I have also previously had a Tomtom, with (expensive) updates added to a memory card; when it was switched on following a flight to Italy it had a nervous breakdown & was useless. This one, when switched on after a flight to Spain, worked perfectly, & directed me precisely to a small house in a small street in a small town in a rural area. My old one, when taken to France by ferry, also worked well & presented no problems.

In summary I am very pleased with this satnav, especially at only £80. I wish though that it was possible to put in a town as a general destination without having to come up with a specific address.
on 12 December 2011
This is a reasonably priced car GPS that has the main functions. It arrived after only a few days and I was happy with that. I did have problems setting it up so had to contact Garmin and got good support from them but it did disturb me that it was not just "plug and play". The product works fine except for the pronunciation of street names. Saalisborough and Lei-cester is not good enough. I have now selected the voice without street names. I am especially happy with the speed warnings and the indication of altitude. A good product at a good price.
on 4 November 2011
The Nuvi 2240 is my first GPS. I do not own a car, so wanted a small GPS which could be taken on journeys when I was a passenger or hired a car. The Nuvi 2240 offered a "Pedestrian" mode which attracted me and as its a small GPS, I naturally assumed it would have a decent battery life (why would it advertise a pedestrian mode if not?). The reality isn't that great, though. The GPS is power hungry and drains the battery within about two hours if left switched on. It even drains the battery dead after a few days when it is switched off! This makes it problematic for anyone who cannot constantly charge the device as you would in a car. The Pedestrian mode is poor, constantly taking the pedestrian or cyclist along routes that only a car would take. All navigation features are only designed to help car drivers, so this device should not advertise a Pedestrian mode with serious software work. All-in-all, works ok when plugged in, but is disappointing for other uses.
on 21 April 2013
The screen is small so this may not be the sat nav for all. However, it does exactly as its larger more expensive model does. Easy to set up, easy to use. Storage is easy due to size. And the seller was excellent.
on 3 May 2012
bought as an update for an older navman -- totally useless--maps out of date dispite updating on the garmin site before travelling.
no coverage of the motorways out of dublin -- had to buy a map
on 26 July 2012
I purchased this satnav just over a month ago and have used it many times. It was bought as a replacement for my six-year-old Garmin Nuvi that froze and never worked again. (I paid nearly £400 for that one. Apparently, all those requests for purchasing new maps being ignored timed out the machine and it stopped working.) This new model picks up the signal really well - less glitches than my old Garmin satnav. The menu and features are easy to use and find my way around. The voice instructions took a little getting used to as 'she' gives the names of the roads. Her funny accent does make it difficult to understand the road names but it never ceases to make me chuckle! I like the fact this model shows your actual speed in the bottom right corner and shows all the speed limits. For the price and what you get in this package, I can only give it top marks. Also, if you like listening to a woman who sounds slightly tipsy with a gobstopper in her mouth barking instructions, this is the satnav for you! I am very pleased and can only give it five stars.
on 5 November 2011
In Comparison to my old garmin this one is great, with spoken street names and roads, what an improvement although it is smaller in size
on 13 August 2012
tbh , i was happy with this product , the sat nav itself is great very happy with it , but i found out recently that the car charger lead was faulty , { i had thought my car power point was not working like my last fiat car ,but it wasnt , } my sat navs battery only lasts an hour and a half use , so i am pretty limited , not being able to use the in car charge point , for this reason i give it only 3 stars , shame its a great sat nav , but the charge lead is an important part of this sat nav !!!!

See one answered question