on 1 May 2011
Very good, exception is that is describes turning left/right into this or that street by name rather than next left/right, also it describes road numbers in their full numbers e.g. A617 as 'A six hundred and seventeen' A6610 as 'A six thousand six hundred and ten', and so on, can be a bit confusing. Like the sound alerts when entering speed camera/traffic light camera zones.
As I am becoming more used to it the more I like it.
Looking forward to a European adventure with the device.
on 13 June 2011
This is a perfectly decent Satnav, and we're enjoying using it. However, the Amazon description on this page says that it includes Lane Assist and Junction View, which the 2200 does not. We only found this out after we had received it and used it. We chose to pay a bit more for this model because we thought we were getting these features. So now I'm not sure what we paid the extra for, given that we could have got a 1200 for less which has a similar spec. I agree with the previous comment that it is weird that it reads out the road numbers as a whole number rather than a series of number (e.g. A one-thousand-two-hundred-and-eighty-seven instead of A one, two, eight, seven), but we'll get used to it. Overall, fine, but we're a bit annoyed the description is wrong on this page. I'm sure Amazon would refund/replace with no questions, but it's too much hassle to send it back, and we've used it a quite a bit now.
33 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2011
This is a well priced, smart sat nav, and very small if you do want to carry it with you and not leave it in the car. I haven't explored all its functions but it gets me from a-b, clearly, with all the functions you could want.
on 12 September 2011
I love this product! Although I have used a sat nav in the past (borrowed from a friend) I have not experienced anything as straightforward as this one. The route is really clearly marked and the "voice" is pleasant - unlike so many other voiced products I own! As many other reviewers have commented (I read the reviews before purchasing!)the street name function is brilliant - you have an instant check that you have taken the correct turning. I hope it will live up to my "excellent" score and my expectations when I take it to Ireland next month!
Only one criticism: when I missed a turning or failed to follow an instruction and "recalculating" took over I found myself in cul de sacs and all sorts! Probably my own fault for not following the instuctions in the first place!
on 8 June 2011
Actually bought this sat nav + Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2011 Map Update Micro/SD Card for a probably (but, hopefully not!) one off trip to Florida with the family in April 2011. The idea was to get a reasonably priced sat nav for home/european use and to adapt it for use in the US. The cost of hiring a sat nav with your hire car/van in the US is almost the same cost and you have nothing to show for it when your finished. So, we thought it was a good idea.
I have to say that it was/is a dream to use in both the UK and the US. Another reviewer mentioned the way road numbers are, as it were, spoken in full eg. A123 would be given as "A one hundred and twenty three" but, you soon get used to it. Apart from that and bearing in mind that it is priced towards the 'lower end' of the sat nav market it does exactly what was expected in that it gets you from A to B - no problem. If you miss a turn then it quickly "re-calculates" you back on track. OK, the display is not the all singing and dancing with trees and road signs like some 'top end' sat navs but hey, what are you supposed to be doing here, driving a vehicle or watching the tele? Oh, and try downloading exact location co-ordinates from the Satellite Signals website to get spot on locations.
on 4 October 2011
I don't drive very far these days. However, last winter I had to make two trips to unfamiliar places involving returning in the dark so I thought a sat nav would make life easier for any future trips. I looked around and decided upon the Nuvi 2240 although a device with only UK mapping would have done had I been able to find one that was suitable. I got it about six months ago but apart from checking it out on my weekly trip to Tesco I haven't had the opportunity to use it in anger until recently.
It has got me to Aberystwyth and back, easily navigating the farm tracks that pass for A and B roads in that part of the world. The quirks such as reading out road numbers in long hand and using street names instead of road numbers when giving directions don't bother me in the least. I like the speed warnings function and, with the below mentioned proviso, it's marvelous to be able to drive without having to ask oneself "I wonder if there's a speed limit on this stretch of road?" having failed to notice a sign hidden behind a hedge.
I've only given the Nuvi 2240 four stars because I've noticed that the Garmin mapping can sometimes be a little wayward in spite of downloading an update just a few days ago. Today I noticed that new 40 mph speed limits on some roads in my area, set well over six months ago, are still showing as 60 mph on the Garmin. Also, it got lost on the A4232 outside Cardiff failing to annouce the turn off for Leckwith Road. I knew the way, anyway, and decided to carry on and check out what would happen. I noticed that the display was actually showing a left turn as I passed the junction and the device then found its voice and announced that it was recalculating a number of times, but failed miserably. I took the next turn off, stopped in an Asda car park and re-input the destination which the Nuvi then found easily. I'm still more than happy with it though. I can forgive a few mistakes.
on 30 October 2011
Good job i used this to find a place I knew how to get to first,because a)it wanted me to take an illegal left turn at traffic lights,b)yes it does name the road your supposed to turn into,but that's all it tells you,doesn't say turn right/left at traffic lights ,or take next left/right, how many times when you approach a turning do you actually see the road name? c)when i entered my first destination it told me to turn right off my driveway,but gave the wrong name of the road!!so can you trust it when it names the road to turn into?and d)when you approach a roundabout and you need to take the 3rd or 4th exit it would be nice to be told that more than 10 seconds before you arrive there so you can safely get in right lane.Also as another reviewer pointed out there is NO lane guidance on this product.yes,I know that this is an entry level sat nav,but at £80 its not that cheap.So as you can guess we did return this product back to Amazon,who swiftly returned our money back.
on 22 October 2011
This is a great driving aid. The clear map show you where you are and where you're going next. The voice is clear and not irritating and I don't mind the road numbers in hundreds and thousands i.e. 'at the A six thousand and twenty turn right'. It is real value for money for someone who has no sense of direction.
on 25 March 2012
I've recently purchased this device , after checking all the features. One of the features that I wanted was lane assit,this model does not have it , despite it being described as having it.
I only found out after down loading the owners manual.Beware of descriptions!Garmin Nuvi 2200 UK and Ireland Mapping
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2012
I got this for my husband, he swears by Garmin, reckons it beats all the others hands down, and he travels all over the country in his work, so that I reckon is a great recommendation it is reliable and uncomplicated too, which is a great bonus. Also it came very very quickly, was well packed and free post ! who could want more ...well done Amazon !

See one answered question