Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.59

on 29 September 2010
Firstly, if you are going to buy this album, get the deluxe/special edition. KT is nearly as good at making DVD's as she is at making music. As a KT fan and music lover the DVD gives such an a fascinating and entertaining insight into the creative journey she travelled along to make this album possible. It's a story of sacrificing what she musically clung on too in order to truly let her creativety run wild.
Although this album has got the familiar Tunstall stamp on it, it also comes with this wild/tribal feel running through it. "Dance" and "Rock" usually face in opposing directions but on Tiger Suit the two seem to have formed this exciting alliance that works so well, and dosen't sound like anything that can be catorgarised, (as if she wasn't easy to catagorise in the first place). You can feel the energy of this album. It fills you up.
A minority of KT fans will not like this album because there's too much electronica on it. Personally, I hold this
multi-talented musician in very high regard and I am so pleased that she made the album that "she" wanted to make rather than make another "Eye to the Telescope" because it keeps people happy.
Finally, try watching to the DVD first. It'll proper rev you up ready to listen to this top notch album.
on 13 July 2011
I'm not a KT Tunstall fan.

There, now that's out of the way I can actually say what I really think. I always thought she was an interesting and talented performer, but her music didn't really speak to me, it was just something on the radio playing pleasantly in the background.

But, as seems annoyingly common these days, I heard "(Still A) Weirdo" on YouTube (sorry about that), liked it instantly and looked to buy it as a single. Doh! Download only! So I bought the album. In fact, I bought the CD/DVD set thanks to another Amazon reviewer who suggested it and he was not wrong.

It's funny how the Status Quos and Motorheads of this world are criticised (mostly by non-fans mainly) for "all their songs sounding the same." It's been said about The Smiths too! The negative reviews on here, though entitled to their opinions, obviously, seem to be criticising KT for NOT making her debut album over and over again. Can you imagine how dull that would be for an artist? How soul-destroying to just keep pandering to an audience's wishes repeatedly?

I won't review the individual songs as that has already been done by more knowledgeable writers (in terms of KT's work) than me. What I will say is that this is a fine, brave album that is clear in its intent and well-realised in its outcome. She is also in very good, rough-edged and raw voice.

If this is a change in direction, then I like it a lot. I don't have any of her previous albums to compare to, but maybe I'm not bringing any baggage of expectations that come with it? Either way, it hasn't made me want to rush out and get her back catalogue because I find this album more than satisfying enough.

And to echo the other Amazon reviewer - do get the CD/DVD set as the accompanying DVD is very insightful, revealing and simply hilarious in places. Loved "The Polite Cowboy" short! And it's a very courageous person indeed who ends up putting out the demo version of a track on the finished album. The song? "(Still A) Weirdo" of course, a signature tune if ever I've heard one.

Derek
on 27 December 2010
In an era when our music scene is becoming crammed by manufactured boy bands and talent show musicians, the charts are filled with bland music factory output and the radio airwaves are controlled by the wishes and desires of the record companies .... thank heavens for people like KT Tunstall who have the integrity to stick with what they believe in and produce original sounds and clever lyrics. Tiger Suit is up to her usual standards and it sounds like she has been given a bigger production budget because it just sounds deeper and richer. That said, Tiger Suit hasn't quite managed to topple Drastic Fantastic as my favourite of her albums (which I acknowledge is purely my personal preference) but its still a damn fine album well worth the storage space on your hard drive or some shelf space in your CD collection.

KT avoids all the cliched idealistic lyrics about love and boys and bling .... she sings about diverse topics and stuff that will probably affect us on a daily basis and in terms that seem far more real. This album is another 11 tracks of truly diverse music, some melancholy songs and some toe tappers, but for me the stand out tracks on here are Fade Like A Shadow and Ummannaq Song... incredibly catchy tunes. After 3 albums I have heard enough .... I will definitely make the effort to catch her UK tour in Spiring 2011. For a long time PJ Harvey has been the queen of 'off the beaten track' music but KT Tunstall has become a very serious threat to the crown. This artist is well worth getting in to.

Update March 2011: Caught KT at the Norwich UEA gig and she was awesome live. Much heavier sound and her music tales on a whole new depth and quality played live and it has changed my opinion. This album is a total grower and I now rate it side-by-side with Drastic Fantastic ..... The Entertainer, Ummannaq Song, Fade Like A Shadow, Horse and The Cherry Tree .... and many many more tracks were given the live makeover. Catch her live, she is worth twice the entrance fee. A live album would be a most welcome addition to her catalogue.
on 16 October 2010
The only drawback with this latest CD from Scottish sensation KT Tunstall is that there aren't more than 11 songs on it; having heard it all from beginning to end, all I wanted was to hear even more.

On "Tiger Suit", Tunstall mixes club rhythms with the already familiar sonorous voice heard in "Eye to the telescope" and "Drastic fantastic". It is a well-balanced, well-composed album consisting of both slow, quiet ballads and rock, mixing various percussion instruments with her guitar sounds and vocals. If you're a fan already, you're going to enjoy this very much. If you're not, you will be after this ...

The item arrives in a paper/cardboard sleeve, not those plastic CD covers of olden times. It's a good job they put that sleeve in a plastic foil casing, as it was raining on the day it arrived. Inside you will find the CD along with a nice little booklet containing the lyrics and a couple of sketches.
on 31 October 2010
Since 2004's multi platinum debut album "Eye to the Telescope," KT Tunstall has struggled to replicate that commercial success. Quite why I don't know, "Drastic Fantastic" was a decent album and this one is simply superb, full of infectious melodies, catchy choruses and superb songwriting.
I've got alot of time for artists such as KT, this is real music made by a real musician, not the dross that we are spoon fed each year from a certain reality show which shall of course remain nameless.
Best tracks on here are the uptempo "Fade Like A Shadow," slower track "Lost" and "Come On, Get In," the latter reminds me quite a bit of "Suddenly I See" from her debut.
The record buying British public can indeed be very fickle, (as can the music that local radio plays) these days it's not about how good your record is but how much exposure you can give it. As a result, far too much quality music slips into commercial oblivion.
With that rant over, do yourself a favour. Pick up "Tigersuit" the next time your browsing.
on 6 December 2010
They say that the third album for any musical band/act is always the most difficult and often disappoints.
I'm happy to say that KTT managed to get her 'disappointing' record out of the way sooner than expected, with 'Drastic Fantastic' (not that I think it was a bad album.. just, well, ..lacking a little oomph).

'Tiger Suit', on the other hand, is probably what DF should have been..
It has a more more upbeat feel to it, the songs are more memorable, it has a wider variety of style than her previous two albums, indeed songs such as 'Difficulty' and 'Madame Trudeaux' seem so unlike KTT songs, yet they feel like they belong and are certainly a welcome change of direction.
As a whole I found the album a satisfying and enjoyable experience.

It took me just a few listen-throughs to be happily humming along with this album, definitely a good sign, for me, anyway.
Generally speaking, if I listen to an new album more than a few times on the trot, without feeling bored and/or disappointed, then I consider it a good album.. if I find myself playing it non-stop (well almost) then I consider it a brilliant album.
Ok, hardly an objective way to judge a new album, but it works for me.. I know what I like and I like what I'm hearing here.

Tiger Suit is one of myfavourite albums of the year, though it would struggle to get into my all-time top 10.. for the moment, anyway.
Some of the more radio-friendly tracks are 'Glamour Puss', 'Fade like a Shadow' and 'Push That Knot Away'.. mind you, some of the other tracks could certainly make it as singles.
None of the songs on this album have the 'filler' feel to them, each song is here on merit, not just thrown in to make up the numbers.

I was quite surprised that '(Still a) Weirdo' was chosen as the first single.. surely a more upbeat song would have pushed the initial album sales a bit more, it's UK chart position of a lowly 39, probably testifies to that.
Still, I look forward to hearing some airplay of future songs, I'm sure there is a top 5 single in there somewhere.

On this evidence, there's no way that KTT will 'Fade Like a Shadow'...
on 3 October 2010
I'm a fan of KT and have been since she appeared on Jools for the first time and launched her worldwide career.

This is her third studio album. A variety of styles is readily heard.There's no surprises here, but it maintains a high standard and I expect she'll be showcasing these songs live.

01 - Uummannaq Song - this is so reminscent of Kate Bush that I can only count it as a tribute to her in some ways. Lively and a multilayered song, opening the album. I first heard thgis in the car and was smiling two bars in.

02 - Glamour Puss - Another lively song with some interesting reverse tape loops in the background.

03 - Push That Knot Away - Again a relentless good time song with a driving beat and a repetetive hook

04 - Difficulty - Opening with a bar of distorted guitar with a bright vocal, this hits a slightly different note and is all the more enjoyable for that.

05 - Fade Like A Shadow - The first single from this album and an MOR track that hits no buttons for me.

06 - Lost - Continuing the hodgepodge of styles, this is KT channeling Stevie Nicks, which is worrying because Stevie is still alive as I write this.

07 - Golden Frames - A bit of old-fashioned R&B guitar leads into a slightly slower track, which sounds pared down from some of the richer tracks here and the better for that.

08 - Come On, Get In - The requisite "Black Horse And The Cherry Tree" soundalike track. Boring now.

09 - (Still A) Weirdo - Wistful, this is the second single released from the album in the UK and gives a welcome change of pace and tone. I was playing this and my wife stuck her head round the door and immediately caught the hook and started singing along. *****(5 stars, no swearing here!)

10 - Madame Trudeaux - Very '70's, very Suzi Quattro, very good.

11 - The Entertainer - the standard album concludes with this slightly slower track, a mix of wistful and melodic to roll around to the first track's Kate Bush leanings,

All-in-all an accomplished album from an accomplished artist. Pretty much at the top of her game, KT has done a good job of maintaining her reputation but I'm afraid I have no idea if it will offer anything to non-fans.

7.5/10 - could do better.'
on 5 July 2011
Upon first listen and after hearing the first single release from it and liking that,i didn't know what to make of it.
Yes i liked certain tracks right away,such as the single (STILL A) WEIRDO but as whole i just wasn't convinced.
I played it a few more times and got to really start apprecicating it a bit more,even singing along to few tracks.
Now after quite a few listens,i really like it,it has indeed grown on me as hoped,and i'm so glad i gave it a chance to.
Some people may well've got bored with it early on as it doesn't feature anything quite like what she's known for,but instead is clearly going for something close to her heart rather than what is likely to make money,and i'm glad she did.
I guess at first i was taken aback by all the yelps and sounds that seemed a bit alien,or at least completely unexpected.
Not now,i play the album and feel a bit confused why i didn't get it right away,there really are quite a few top tracks on here,not just (STILL A) WEIRDO,but little gems such as FADE LIKE A SHADOW and GLAMOUR PUSS. Infact i'm listening to this CD as i'm writing this review and i am really enjoying every track.
So seems it isn't a big hit and is going cheap,why not give it a go,if you don't get it on first listen,play it several times before discarding it as a mistake,the only mistake is saying the TIGER SUIT doesn't fit right.
on 14 January 2011
I LOVE this new effort by KT.

Unlike the previous 2 albums, which I do rate highly, there is not one song I dislike; mainly because she has gone down a road that has more of a beat, and less of a bland, acoustic sound that Eye to the Telescope had, and the end of Drastic Fantastic.

There are a few club influenced songs, a couple of ballads, and the folk pop, which is a follow-on to the style she started on Drastic Fantastic. You'll be singing the choruses for months!

Stand out tracks for me are: Madame Trudeaux, Fade Like A Shadow, Difficulty, Lost and Uummannaq Song
on 1 March 2011
I'm really surprised at some of the negative reviews from people that previously liked KT. I think this album is excellent and easily up to the standard of "Eye to the Telescope". "Drastic Fantastic" was good but fizzled out part way through, this is much better. There is not a duff track on it and the standard is consistently high, but if I had to choose the stand-out tracks would be "Glamour Puss", "Difficulty", "Lost" (possibly my favourite KT track ever) and "Weirdo". Oh, and "The Entertainer". And the rest. Just buy it!