5.0 out of 5 stars Compact Printer/Photcopier/Scanner - Ideal for Home Use!
I was initially looking at the Kodak printers which promise similar functions - but this one was actually smaller and cheaper.

Published on 2 Feb 2011 by Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars A great Starter/Family Printer
Great little printer that does the job well.

- Wireless aspect was easy to set up. It works really well. Yes, it is a little slow, but for home use, I'm not expecting great speeds
- Printing is adequate. Again a little slow, but with my set up it is ALL WIRELESS
Published on 15 July 2011 by A. J. Pitcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact Printer/Photcopier/Scanner - Ideal for Home Use!, 2 Feb 2011
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brother DCP-J315W Wireless Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer with Media Card Centre (Office Product)

First impressions are that this is amazingly compact and doesn't take up as much space on the desktop as most of the others I have looked at. It looks very neat and unobtrusive, but all the functions are there and easily accessible.

It was a fairly easy set-up - although it took a while to clean the printing heads. I was impressed with how easy it was to get the wireless operation sorted out and again this means that for a cramped home desktop, this is an ideal space-saver - no leads, so you can put it where you like.

[N.B. - look at the top of this page for a photo of this printer on my cramped desk at home! This is the image to the far right of all those available]

I'm not sure this would be solid enough for an office, where it would be "abused" and the photocopier lid feels a bit flimsy,especially at the hinges. But I think this is aimed squarely at the home user who wants to print out their photos and as I have said - this is great for anybody who doesn't have much space.

So it has all the features you could want as a home user. It prints from your PC, but also has slots that take memory cards - so you can just plug these in and don't need to turn your PC on. As far as I can see, it prints as well as any of this kind of device and then it also has a built-in photocopier and scanner - which is really useful to have in this kind of set-up.

Of course the big thing for all of these devices is ink costs - but there are several sources of replacement cartridges on Amazon, which look as reasonable as anything I have seen and it's very difficult to fault it on this score.

I like the LCD display which is easily readable and the menus are intuitive - no scrolling through loads of sub-levels - in fact this is a major upgrade from printers I have had before, which just had a few flashing indicators - you get all the info you need from this one!

I really can't fault any of this and it has all been very easy to use - so much so, that the manual hasn't been needed so far - although it has paper documentation and a CD with a full manual - plus a second CD with software and connection to Brother's website, which gives you free access to all sorts of useful templates.

I am amazed that you can get so much in such a small package and am very impressed- OK it's not a "professional" product that would stand up to being sat on in offices - but it looks great in a home setup and I would recommend it highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Beyond, 5 Mar 2011
Big Daddy K (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
Originally Epson looked like the safe bet for this type of printer scanner, but the positive reviews of this Brother model caught my eye. We received the item within a few days and so far everything is very impressive. Model is flat and unobstrusive enough to sit in the corner of our living room. Cartridge set up for paper feed negates the need to have paper jutting out of the top, collecting dust, plus the ink cartridges are easy to insert in the front of the unit (better than past experiences with HP models.) Wireless set-up was pain free and involved a clear step-by-step guide which worked fine on our creaky Toshiba Equium laptop (ok my wife did it but that's what she told me!). Memory stick funtion and small screen viewing works a treat for printing pictures, with easy to use menu. The most pleasing aspect is we can effortlessly print off Cbeebies pictures for our 4 year old to keep him busy with his colouring, plus it's such a pleasant change not to have wires everywhere! All-in-all a very good purchase which I am hoping will stand the test of time. Just one small disappointment, it's dropped to an even cheaper price (appx 20 less) since we bought it! Ah...the benefit of hindsight!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother printer DCp-J315W, 5 Jan 2011
I just received my new printer today 5/1/2011 from Grays Office Supplies.
I have set up this printer to my wireless network in my house with no problmes at all worked stright away. Printer quality A4 V-Good also printed several pictures also V-good quality for this small printer. They will nevr as good as photlap quality but still very good. Black is black and all the other colours are v-good as well.

Scanned several documents from it quicker thatn my old scanner but quality of the document is not as good but still very use full.

with this printer small footprint will fit anywhere. Can be a little nosiy when picking up paper but all these modern printers are all the same.

i would give this printer 10 out 10 for ease of use & setup.

MR Stephen.Beswick@sky.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Really compact !, 26 Feb 2011
I just bought this AIO Brother printer for my in law. Because I did the wireless instalation for him (the printer is a gift for his 80th birthday, to go with his laptop)I cannot comment the degree of difficulty. Personnally I found the installation quiet straight (just follow the indication on the printer screen). The most difficult part was the PC software (because I think that the driver on the CD is actually just a link to get what it needs from the internet)... a bit confusing.

What really push me to write this review is that I was actually advising my in law to get a HP (after almost 30 years of use and some ups and down I find the HP printers very good especially regarding ink matters). HP models had the same characteristics but I must admit that the form factor did the difference.

The big plus (compare to HP)is that it is really a compact machine especially with the paper neatly store under the machine.

Another amazing point is the quality of the photo prints! We tried to print directly from a memory card on the special photo paper (3 sheets included with the printer)and really the result was outstanding (for a so cheap machine).

You cannot go wrong if you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Printer Review, 9 Dec 2011
Hi There.

I got this printer from amazong over 1 year ago. I just want to say if you are printing a lot this is the solution. The printer is very cheap in terms of ink. It is fantastic product. It has wireless which is working very well.

This is the best pritnter that I had so far.

I hope this will help someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for home use. A few very minor shortfalls., 12 Sep 2011
Gsp "gsp100677" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Negatives:
-Media card centre is limited (e.g. no CF card slot), and unprotected from dust (no lid or cover unlike other cheaper printers I've owned previously).
-Scanner lid feels a bit thin and flimsy, especially the hinges - that's compared to my recent experience of a cheaper 50 Canon PIXMA all-in-one inkjet (which I gave away during a house move).
-Not particularly compact despite what other reviews seem to indicate - obviously this is going to be subjective.

Positives:
-Apart from scanner lid it's a good solid build.
-Tray loading paper gives much more reliable alignment, and less dust getting in than top loading ink jets.
-Easy to setup and use (haven't tried copying and scanning yet though), including the wifi (as easy as choosing network wizard on the printer, and entering your wifi network name and password when prompted - then you just add it on your computer's network settings as usual).
-Drivers easily available online & instantly installed on mac in system preferences during setup (without having to visit a webpage), so didn't have to install any of the supplied software on the included CD, which in my experience is often bloatware.
-A little stack of photo paper included (although I'd rather have had some normal A4 sheets included as I'll be mostly printing ordinary documents).
-Individual colour ink cartridges, so less wastage than printers that use just one combined CMY colour cartridge, when you end up having to replace it all cause one colour's running out/low, even though the other 2 colours may be in plentiful supply.
-I hear (but haven't confirmed) that Brother don't chip their ink cartridges so you can save money and the environment by getting your ink cartridges refilled at a local print shop, as opposed to some other manufacturers that do chip them, so that you have to use only their branded replacements at often 10 times the price of a simple refill at a local print shop (not to mention the additional plastic waste of throwing away old cartridges - even recycling them I imagine has a much higher carbon footprint than simply refilling with ink).
-Not especially compact design, but also not especially ugly either, unlike many other all-in-one ink jets.

Overall, pleased with my purchase, especially considering the reasonable price - although another tenner off and it'd be an absolute 5 star no brainer, & I wouldn't even be thinking about those 3 minor flaws.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good printer, 11 Dec 2011
My previous Brother printer ceased working after 10 years. I contacted Brothers Help via the internet. They sent me an e-mail with advice which unfortunately did not solve the problem. I then sent a reply to the email as instructed. Within a few hours I received a phone call from Brother to help me with the problem. After helping me we discovered that the printer would need to be sent to a service centre which, due to the printers age, would cost more than buying a new one. The help desk was very helpful and did not rush me.
As I received such excellent customer service I decided to buy another Brother printer.
The Brother DCP-J315W was simple to set up and within a few minutes I was using it. The instruction are very simple and easy to follow.
The printer arrived the day after I ordered it.
The only problem is that I had to use a USB connection as I could not get the wireless connection to work. As an old duffer I telephoned my son and even he could not help.
Whether this is a printer or router issue I do not know. I will continue to use the USB connection.
The use of the machine is easy as it Prints, Photocopies and Scans. All systems are very easy to use. The quality is excellent and the cartridges are very easy to fit.
I would have given this 5 stars if I could get the Wireless connection to work.
The machine is also smaller that other Brands so takes up a lot less space.
I am very pleased with my purchase and I would recommend it as it is an inexpensive and excellent printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars This machine changed my life, 25 May 2011
I have been in Kodak Hell for so long I thought it was normal, until yesterday.....
Three nights ago everything changed. The existence of a Kodak in the home had lead to domestic unrest so I disconnected it and set it aside. Around bed-time I heard an almighty crashin' and a bangin' which, it turned out, was my beloved jumping up and down on what was now an ex printer, for it had gone before, it had run down the curtains and joined the Choir Invisible.
In my bereft state I turned to Amazon and to the All In One Printer reviews whereupon I discovered that there was life after Kodak, or so it was claimed. I didn't want to part with an arm and a leg but I didn't want to remain in purgatory so I settled on the Brother DCP-J315W which, delivered and with a spare set of cartridges, set me back about seventy five beer tokens.
That was at about 2 am on Sunday.
Sunday was unremarkable and Monday passed without event and without the grinding, laboured, tormented, incessant, tubercular Kodak wheeze that had become the soundtrack to my life.
Tuesday pm a cardboard box bearing the legend 'Brother, by your side' arrived by courier.
Half an hour later everything was up and running and I sit here now, at 1.40 am on Wednesday, in wireless printer heaven. The 'Brother by my side' purrs as my every command is obeyed, to the letter, without fuss or noise or hesitation and no sign of the paper which is the life blood of such devices and for some fathomless reason has to be on display in Kodak Hell.
The print is tight and flawless, the colours are the shade they are supposed to be and, joy of joys, when I don't need the printer it turns itself to stand-by with no annoying lights, no humming noises, no massive re-set and stands ready to leap into action at the slightest wireless prompt.
If you are looking for a no nonsense printer that fits neatly and unobtrusively into your life and won't break the bank you need look no farther than the DCP-J315W, it's absolutely magic.
Thank you Brother, thank you Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great Starter/Family Printer, 15 July 2011
A. J. Pitcher "Pitch" (London) - See all my reviews
Great little printer that does the job well.

- SCanning is very accurate; just like a professional photo of the object. Send the file to computer or chip. Again, a little slow and there is NOT the capability to do multiple pages within just the one file. That is frustrating.

Why 3 stars. It is just not a knock-out. It does the job adequately. It was a very reasonable price. I'm very happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, 3 April 2011
I have needed a new printer for some months but did not want something that was too thirsty for ink. At the time of purchase, this was a new model from Brother but the reviews of other Brother products gave me confidence. I was not disappointed. The setting up was very easy and I have still not used up the ink that came with the printer. The quality of printing is ideal for text and the kinds of graphics needed for my children's homework. The software for scanning is easy to use and flexible.

All in all I am very satisfied with this product.