4.0 out of 5 stars I knew it would be this good...
Published on 19 Jan 2011 by MaggyannS

3.0 out of 5 stars Need longer returns period
This box held 5 discs with all the Sansom books on them. By the time I got around to listening to all of them and discoverd a problem the return deadline had passed. Four of the discs were fine but on one of them the sound quality varied markedly at one point and spoiled the disc.
Published 17 months ago by Anna

4.0 out of 5 stars I knew it would be this good..., 19 Jan 2011
I ordered this boxed set because I have read all the books and loved them. Matthew Shardlake, his times and his adventures are up near the top on my list of favourite reading. The idea of having someone read these wonderful stories to me in succession was too great to be ignored. I was not disappointed. Read by Anton Lesser I simply wallowed in my enjoyment. Matthew and his eventual sidekick Barak have their story told from Dissolution right through to Heartstone (which I have to be honest and say is my least favourite of the tales). The stories are set in Tudor England and are a clever mix of fact and fiction where we meet at various times such characters as Henry VIII, Catherine Parr, Katherine Howard, Jane Boleyn, Cromwell - the cast is huge. I would thoroughly recommend this boxed set to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. CJ Sansom's book have each been beautifully produced and are a joy to look at on the bookshelf this boxed set of CDs does not disappoint. It is just as well packaged, coming in a single chunky box containing the individually sleeved discs the whole fitting in comfortably with the books on the shelf. An excellent choice and with 30 discs giving over 35 hours of CJ Sansom's brilliantly put together stories this is, to my mind, a great bargain.

The books should be read in this order
Dissolution (Shardlake)
Dark Fire (Shardlake)
Sovereign (Shardlake)
Revelation (Shardlake)
Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars shardlakefan, 9 May 2011
Mrs. S. L. Woods "Izzysnan" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
I have read all five books in the Shardlake series and was really looking forward to the audio books. I have not been disappointed. Anton Lesser captures the voices of the Tudor detective and all the other characters brilliantly. The books are abridged which is my only complaint as I would have cheerfully paid a higher price had they been reproduced in full. C J Sansoms descriptions of Tudor life and particularly Tudor London are so evocative you can smell and taste it and I think that some of them are lost in being abridged. I am pleased I had read the books in full previously, nevertheless I enjoyed every minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew Shardlake, 11 Mar 2012
Mr. K. Padden "keithp" (England) - See all my reviews
I took a chance and purchased Revelation on CD for 2.99 in an end of line book store.
After listening I couldn't believe it was sold for such a cheap price.
The narration by Anton Lesser is superb,it is so good you would think it a radio 4 production with a good cast of actors.
I had no hesitation in buying this 5 Title box set of 30 CD's for 18.99. Each story is a gem, I wish there were more titles in the series as I am almost finished listening.Every disc is full of such descriptive writing and attention to mood and feeling you are almost in the story with Master Shardlake and his assistant Barrick.How cruel it must have been to live in those Tudor times for the ordinary person.
These tales would make a brilliant period drama TV series and give this writer the recognition he deserves.
Mr Lesser for his part deserves an award for his superb story telling ability and his catalogue of voices and accents. I am searching for more books Anton Lesser has narrated.
If only all talking books were this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars C.J. Sansom Boxset, 1 Feb 2012
This set is great value for money. I already had two of the books on c.d. but it was cheaper to buy the whole set than to buy the other three books on c.d.separately! The external packaging looks good and is quite compact,the discs inside being in their own individual white envelope with a window so you can easily see which one to choose next. I am very pleased with this product and having read the books it was great to re-visit them in this format.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOLD STAR RATING FOR THIS BOXSET, 19 Aug 2013
I cannot recommend this boxset too highly - Anton Lesser is a first class narrator and brings to life these stories. It is rare that I ever listen to a CD more than once but this set had me in its grip from beginning to end and I have revisited these stories more than once. This is one CD set that will not be going to the Charity Shop. If you enjoy historical novels (particularly the Tudor Period) you need look no further it it all here. Anton Lesser as narrator has no equal and should be awarded an Oscar - what a joy he is to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't stop listening, 30 July 2011
I obtained the last book ,Heartstone, first and was so impressed by Anton Lesser's naration that I went on to buy the other 4 and listened to them in order. I couldn't turn them off and woke up many a night in the small hours of the morning with my MP3 still playing and no sleep! I am now listening for a second time and I doubt if I will remove them from my MP3. The narration makes these books more like a radio play due the the range of character voices that Anton achieves. In fact I miss the characters adventures as they are so realistically portrayed. This box set gives the opportunity to have a complete selection of classics!

5.0 out of 5 stars C j Samson comes to life, 1 Mar 2014
I really enjoyed reading the books but now I lay in bed or while I'm tiding listening to them. Great bed time stories as a adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Feb 2014
although each book was condensed and I have read all the books . These CDs are brill read extremely well could find. Nothing not to like about them. Well worth the money. The box itself is really beautiful and at a very reasonable price

4.0 out of 5 stars Historically interesting crime thriller, 28 Jan 2013
Hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
These books are a fun way to get a feel for what life might have been like in the time of Henry VIII. The first three books were full of insight and changed my perspective. The first was brilliant in its description of the English monasteries. The second showed some interesting politics and gave a better picture of daily life in London than I have encountered anywhere else for that period. The third showed how different levels of power revolved around the king, which was again brilliant. The fourth and fifth were interesting and enjoyable to read but brought nothing special. I would have given 5 stars to the first three books, and 3 stars to the last two.

These are very different books from Hilary Mantel's. She is a more sophisticated writer but Sansom is< I believe, a better historian.

3.0 out of 5 stars Need longer returns period, 19 Jan 2013