5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
This is my second electric six album (the popular "fire" being my other) and i am in no way dissapointed!

Published on 19 Nov 2011 by Joanna Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best E6 effort
Published on 8 Oct 2011 by F. Longden

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 19 Nov 2011
Joanna Baker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)

I have reciently just got really into the band after getting a bit bored of hip hop and the usual punk rock (the offspring ect) so i was looking for something new a fresh, and i decided to YouTube some bands and ended up on "Gay Bar" which i heard before and remembered how much i enjoyed the band. I then purchased the first album and went online only to find out they were touring the U.K, so i obviously got a ticket, and realised it was their "Zodiac" album so i though might as well get that album too!

I'd already heard a few songs on YouTube so i knew what to expect, but there is plenty of others i hadn't which have really pleased me!

Here's my quick thoughts on each song:

After Hours - A fantastic opening song which really opens the album and sets a good standard. Catchy lyrics and synthesisers (i think)

American Cheese - Quite a bizzare song, but very catchy with good sax ect

Clusterf**k - One of my top songs on the album, extremely catchy.

Countdown to the countdown - Very good song with pretty cool drums and good lyrics

Doom and Gloom and Doom and Gloom - Another one of my favourites, watch out for the legendary sax solo, slightly different to previous electric six tracks

Jam it in the hole - Literally one of the best songs i have ever heard, and most definately the best on the album!

It ain't punk rock - More of a heavier electric six song, another top class song!

Love song for myself - What i call "traditional" electric six, very similair to songs from "fire", which is a good thing, because its a good song with some extremely weird but amusing lyrics!

The Rubberband Man - A cover of "The Spinners'" song, i haven't heard the original but i love this version!

Table and Chairs - Pretty cool guitar with a catchy riff and lyrics

Talking Turkey - Brilliant closing song, one of the more serious electric six songs, but very good nonetheless.

Overall, not a single bad song (in my opinion) worth it for anyone looking for a different kind of music, or any current electric six fans!

SONGS TO LOOK OUT FOR; Clusterf**k, Doom and Gloom and Doom and Gloom, Jam it in the hole, Love song for myself and It ain't punk rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric Six - Zodiac, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)
E6 really are an amazing band. If anyone likes to find true gems, check out tracks from earlier albums such as Synthesizer, When I Get To The Green Building, Dance Epidemic, White Eyes, Future Is In The Future (amongst many others). This is, in my view, the most under-rated band in history. They should be amongst the biggest in the world but somehow they get missed.

Either way, Zodiac follows their tradition of great albums (may not have some of the superstar tracks of previous albums) but it really is a good effort. Jam it in the Hole and I Am A Song stand out as amazing tracks on this.

Take a chance and buy an Electric Six album - I did 3 years ago, 3 weeks later I had them all and 3 years in a row have watched them in London. How they are ignored by the mainstream is beyond me, no alt/rock band touring today comes close to them, and if you ever get a chance to see them live, take it!!! Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Rock Poetry., 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zodiac [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
This Band has everything you could ask for.
I listend to it at the airport and was laughing out loud at some parts. It is my favorite ablbum they have done, they are a fun band but also extremely talented. This band deserves more recognition for there obvious excelence!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best E6 effort, 8 Oct 2011
F. Longden (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)
I love the infectious sound of Electric Six, I love how they aren't like all this 'out-of-a-tin' pop rubbish that seems to clog the charts these days they have unique lyrics and an excellent raw electric sound. Releasing an album every year is a fantastic fan service however, I believe Zodiac is the weakest E6 album currently. There are some good tracks on this album don't get me wrong, American Cheese, Jam it in the Hole & Doom and Gloom stick in my mind when playing this album but it's severly let down by the frankly awful Rubberband Man - this mess isn't E6's style and should be lost in the depths of hell. I am a Song and It Aint Punk Rock are also wastes of talent on this album.

All in all Zodiac isn't a terrible album - it's just weak and doesn't carry the instant appeal of Kill and Flashy before this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric six, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)
Great band, love listening to this album but I can stop with this, need to buy the next album and listen to more of them

5.0 out of 5 stars Leicester Bangs Review (2010):, 12 Jan 2011
Leicester Bangs "words-R-us" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)
Electric Six - Zodiac (Too Many Robots)
You'll probably have first heard of Detroit's Electric Six via their ubiquitous "Danger! High Voltage" hit of 2003, a track so monstrously huge that even my mum knew of its existence. They followed it up with "Gay Bar" and "Formula 409", mixing up their genres like they were going out of fashion. Their latest is a twelve tracker, with each song loosely based on a sign of the zodiac (I'm guessing "Clusterf--k!" = Virgo?). It definitely feels like a looser collection; more in tune with their Detroit rock n' roll roots, without sacrificing the dance beats and humour that made them stand out in the first place. My favourite track here is "Jam In The Hole" which rolls along with a relentless techno rhythm and should get most human life forms onto the dance floor. As should their version of The Detroit Spinner's "Rubberband Man", and the previously mentioned "Clusterf--k!". All in all a bit of a gem, which should appeal to fans and newcomers alike. 9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit for (the Electric) Six, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)
For those of us who have followed The Electric Six since the days of Gay Bar and High Voltage, each new CD has been an adventure. Dick Valentine's humourous and edgy lyrics, coupled with great and varied tunes are always a treat, and they always rock! Like the last few albums, this one is a grower, getting better with every listen, but for me the standout track is a cover of The Rubberband Man, and this song was recently on the Classic Rock magazine playlist. Don't muck about - buy it! (and see the band on tour in the UK this December 2010)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Zodiac, 30 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)
The thing about E6 is that element of surprise. Whilst one or two previous albums can be accused of being a bit patchy, everyone is different. On Zodiac, they have got it spot on with a style that drifts back more to the earlier Fire/Senor Smoke days but with more keyboards and subtle twists in pace. Jam it in the Hole is as infectious a song as they have written, American Cheese and Tables and Chairs both have singalong endings that make you want to put on repeat, but each song works really well. Even the order of them although it is just alphabetical !!.
I love music and listen to many different styles but for me this is without doubt the album of the year. Take a listen and prepare to feel good

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best one..., 17 Oct 2010
G. Buddle (Cambs UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zodiac (Audio CD)
Well i have all the Electric Six albums and think they are all great. Fire and Kill being my favourites. After Kill, i did have high expectations for this album, and E6 delivered on all. This is the same E6 you would expect, but with a bit more synth and experimenting mixed in.Dare i say, it is even a bit camper!( Sometimes with a a hint of Scissor sisters, Pink Floyd and even The Beach Boys thrown in, in places). I think nearly all the songs are brilliantly crafted and constructed and sound fuller, with keys, piano and guitars all mixing in well.
Every song could be a single, unlike my views on the albums Switzerland and Flashy which had a few weak moments. I think Electric Six should be up there with some of the greatest rock bands ever, if people were willing to look beyond the Danger and Gay Bar they are most famous for and see that they are actually amazing musicians who write amazing, feel good rock songs, with some great sexy, dirty, and funny lyrics to add to the enjoyment.

Zodiac [Explicit]