4.0 out of 5 stars Beloved? Happiness? Right on both counts......, 29 April 2004
Nicholas Tier "nuck_the_king" (Danehill, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Although not a great fan of the blissed-out trance music that exploded around the time this album was released, my brother was, and when he bought it, he insisted that I should give it a try.
And I'm grateful that he did. This is a great album: poppy and euphoric at times, but also occasionally wistful and heart-rending, too. It has been compared to Depeche Mode, but I think it feels less harsh and bare than their work; certainly the singles "Personal Jesus," etc. that I know them by, anyway.
There are a couple of songs that are a little weaker; but there are easily enough good ones to give this 4 stars. "Hello", "Your Love Takes Me Higher", "The Sun Rising", but in particular the beautiful "Don't You Worry" are favourites of mine.
Gently insistent, this is an album that I sometimes forget about for a few months; but I'm always delighted when I find it again....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beloved - A blissed out time, 9 Feb 2008
D. Blair "Crystal Tips" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
I had just turned seventeen when I bought this album and I vividly remember playing it in my dear old Sony Walkman, on the bus ride home from buying it. The year was 1990 and I was just about to enjoy the once in a life-time experience of rave culture and outdoors all-nighters. Someone else who reviewed this album mentioned the Daisy Age of De La Soul and I would agree with that, this album - although not in the hip-hop style, is definitely of that genre.
This album for me, summons up a time of expectation; I think of fields and skies whenever I hear 'The Sun Rising' and remembering it being played as the sun rose at some outdoors party I went to, of bobbing around in a dance tent to 'Only Your Love Takes Me Higher' and wondering what the Dickens Ba-buftin tuftin was all about in 'Hello' but singing along with Jon Marsh anyway. A truly wonderful album that for me brought up another dimension of dance music I hadn't discovered previously. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sun Rising., 30 Mar 2004
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
A few years ago I discovered this album through the links on Amazon.com. "Happiness" is a perfect, shiny, and polished techno-pop record with many mid-tempo dance tracks. If you like 1990 releases such as London Beat's "In The Blood", Anything Box's "Peace", or Depeche Mode's "Violator", then this album is certainly for you. As for the band themselves, I gathered this much that they formed in England in 1985 initially as a quartet, and after a few stand-alone singles, there followed the 1987 LP titled "Where It Is". Subsequent to the successful "Happiness" and its (remixes) sister release "Blissed Out" in the same year, followed "Conscience" in 1993, and then "X" in 1996. The group disbanded later that year issuing a Swedish-only 12-track singles collection in 1997. I wish I had found out about this artist more than a decade earlier, but then again, it's never too late to discover good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate feel good lbum, 20 Sep 2007
Mr. Carl Parkin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Sometimes you like an album because it is gritty and real life like a Smiths album.

Sometimes it makes a difference just to turn on your music, and hear a piece of fantastic light hearted music that lifts your mood and makes you smile.

Many people on here will not have heard of The Beloved, or heard of this album, but if you hear this album you will be amazed that it is not an album everybody owns.

There is nothing gritty of offensive about this album. Some songs are beautiful, and most are just feel good happy tracks.

It is all about feeling happy, being in love, and the world being a great place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant dance pop album, 23 April 2006
Andrew Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
I bought this record in 1990 and loved it then. I've forgotten about it since, but after re-buying it recently I am astounded at the strength of the songs on this album. It was criminally overlooked - it should have sent this band into superstardom. Out of ten tracks I love eight of them, favourites are the hypnotic dance "Your Love Takes Me Higher" and the happy trance "Up, Up and Away". "I Love You More" is a certified Number 1 single in waiting if it was reworked by one of today's stars. I think it's one of the most consistently superb albums from that era. This band should have been huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness Indeed........, 15 May 2007
Mr. Mark P. Williams (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Happiness is Beloved's 2nd studio album and is a sublime piece of electronica - this rates as one of my top 5 albums of all time, which I guess maybe pretty meaningless to anyone reading my review, however, I have over some 600 records, and this is a beautifully uplifting feel good album.

The Beloved originally were an Indie outfit, whose early singles did not glean them much success. This album saw them change direction with dance orientated tracks, that are particularly evident throughout the various remixes of the singles. The subsequent album 'Blissed Out' is effectively Beloved's remix album of 'Happiness' and is also worth purchasing.

The original release of 'The Sun Rising' was the breakthrough commercial success, subsequently followed up by single releases of 'Hello', 'Your Love Takes Me Higher', 'Time after Time' and 'It's Alight Now', all from this album.

If you like Depeche Mode's 'Violator', and New Order's 'Technique', then Happiness (released around the same time as the aforementioned albums) comes very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop albums don't come much better than this, 23 July 2001
D. Rosewarne "dandtm" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Listening to this in 2001 maybe a little unfair as this is predominatly an 80's album. Still, with songs such as Time After Time, Sun Rising and the bitter-sweet Found, who cares? This was when pop songs were made from strong melodies and uplifting string parts. I Love You More sticks out a little bit, but this is definatly perfect pop at it's best. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarlet beautiful is the only song on there which has me ..., 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Just sublime. Something for every mood, criminally under rated as an album. Hoping one day for something new from Jon. But in the mean time I can't count the number of times the headphones and night sky have taken the album to another place.

Just the Sun Rising is in my top ten songs of all time and this album is probably in there too. Scarlet beautiful is the only song on there which has me on the fence, I don't dislike it but until the 'love love love' chorus kicks in it feels slightly out of place.

This and the other albums are all worth purchasing. We were spoiled in the 90s....

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Looked all over the place in the past for this on CD. It was like it never existed! Brings back so many memories - love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: Happiness (Audio CD)
Love it - very happy with the quality (it was supposed to be a used CD, but you couldn't tell, it was like new). Delivery was prompt and the price was amazing. Would definitely recommend this seller.

Happiness