4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best introduction to Poe
Published on 19 Feb. 2013 by CocoLoco

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled, there is not Raven in this book.
Published 1 month ago by Mother Beanie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best introduction to Poe, 19 Feb. 2013
CocoLoco (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe (Annotated) (69 stories) (Kindle Edition)
I've been meaning to read E.A.Poe for some time as many of the books I read make reference to his work. It's as I expected, short, macabre stories, preying on people's fear and the power associated with that consequence. Think, 'Tales of the Unexpected' and you're nearly there. Much of the writing is traditional and I was glad to have bought it on kindle as words can be instantly defined by holding down your finger on the word.

I would recommend reading one complete story at a time, in whichever order you prefer. The length of time to read each story varies from 10-30mins. I started with the famous 'Black Cat' & 'The Tell-Tale Heart', then 'The Cask of Amontillado' as an introduction. I enjoyed each and look forward to more, however I will use this as both a reference book and a story book.

You can understand where the horror readers of today have taken their inspiration. No doubt they have studied each and every one of his stories.

This contains all of Poe's short stories. It does not contain his poetry. I'll leave that for another time.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 April 2013
An easy to readformat, and refreshingly good, I had forgitten how good! A value for money read! Well worth buying!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled, there is not Raven in this book., 27 Jan. 2015
Mid way through the book at the moment. As they are in date order, I have been reading them that way. I may never reach the end because I am not enjoying the early short stories at all. Finding them wordy and they tend to wonder a bit, then end suddenly so that I feel I must have missed something. Could be the dyslexia that stops me from enjoying them totally, or of course, they may actually be as I perceive them to be. Got this because I have read his famous later stories, I suspect he improved with age. Also note, though it has a picture of a raven on the front (at least I assume it is a raven), "The Raven" is not in this collection, probably because it is categorised as a poem, rather than a short story. Beginning to wonder if I should skip the early stories and just jump to the good later stuff, but if I do that, how will I know where the good stuff starts! Hey Ho! so I plod on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Fashioned suspense, 20 Dec. 2013
Terence Cook "Terry" (UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't read all of the stories yet. They need to be read in surroundings that complement the atmosphere of the tales themselves. Obviously not bricked up in a wall etc....

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary tales from a bygone era, 23 Jun. 2014
Poe can be seen as the father of much of the fantasy and horror fiction of the last fifty years. It is well worth going back to the source. Then try HP Lovecraft.

3.0 out of 5 stars unexpected enjoyment, 6 Jun. 2012
Like many readers of E.G.Poe I picked up the book as I wanted to branch out from my usual genres and decided to begin with some classics. Initally I found this book hard going, lenghty sentences that contain lots of powerful words (sometimes too many.)
However reading this by candle light during a powercut i found my self absorbed completely. Reading aloud changed the way I absorbed these stories. A Dark morbid style off humor is helpful while reading these stories. The length of each short story varies greatly but i would recomend resding esch story in one go if you have the time.
interesting bedtime reading or down time reading as most stories take 5-20minutes to read.
Active reading is a must! These stories are inteligently written and unless your a frequent reader of 17th century literature and accustom to the language, you may find some parts a challenging read.
would recomend getting the sample version before you buy! you'll know after the first two stories whether this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great poetry worth reading, 22 Mar. 2014
C. East "ce345" (plymouth,devon,uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I had an assignment in college for an English class and I chose Edgar Allan Poe for mine as his poetry is dark, mysterious and well formed as poems, I am glad I chose this as it worked out well for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Author, 6 Sept. 2013
I wished I had read these years ago, or even better we should study these in school great topics of conversations to be had . The stories stay with you a long time afterward.

2.0 out of 5 stars The complete short stories of Edgar Allan Poe, 22 Jun. 2013
I should have realised that it was written in the nineteen century and therefore the author would address the reader directly. I have only read two stories and I shall go back to it from time to time.

4.0 out of 5 stars always a fan, 7 Jun. 2013
I'm always a fan of old horror and psychological thrillers. I must admit, sometimes I get a little lost in the writing. I guess I enjoy reading it, as I imagine what his status must have been in his time.The guy, while people would enjoy reading his prose of their time, nobody wanted to be left alone in a room with him.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›