Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.99

on 20 November 2007
If you like, say, Glen Campbell, Boz Scaggs (a la 'We're all alone'), perhaps a bit of John Martyn - that sort of thing - possibly with a bit of blue grass guitar mixed with an almost norweigian skiffle type feel, then you will love this, actually even if you don't, you'll love this anyway. from the rolling moments of the first few bars right til the end, coupled with the everso slightly twangy, but heart warming (and very different) vocal, it is a gorgeous adventure into Gordon's world. Gord's Gold includes those songs that you know, but you don't, if you see what I mean - you'll have heard them over and over but never quite placed them (Early Morning Rain, Beautiful and the famous 'If You Could Read My Mind' (the track I particularly bought it for) and got hooked . . . try and it and see....I promise you'll be hooked too !
66 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2014
Only knew Gordon Lightfoot from his 2 regulary played hits Early mornin rain, and, If you could read my mind, how naive I was, my sister who is Canadian told me he is still performing and he is in his 70s, Anyway back to the CD, its one of the best I have ever bought,I play it over and over, the words of the songs are beautiful, I shed a tear when listening to "Song for a winters night" and I adore the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, If you like Gordon buy this fantastic CD every single track is GOOD to say the least, and he has such an easy way of singing.
on 16 January 2012
It's great to hear this music again. I was a schoolboy living in Australia, when I first heard Gordon Lightfoot. Radio 3UZ-- a country music station in those days--had him on their playlist. My favorite song of his, was "Sundown". I loved the poetic imagery; I loved, too, the distinctive guitar riff, with its louisiana bayou sound. Other Lightfoot songs I recall, are "Carefree Highway" and "If you could read my mind." All these and other tracks may be found on "Gord's Gold". A great album.
on 2 February 2014
All of my music CD's lost after several moves. Trying to rebuild my collection which is a slow and expensive undertaking. I've stay most of my life in Canada where I was exposed to Gord Lightfoot and his special style of music.
Gave 5 star as this is a Brilliant CD for anyone who has an interest in this style of of Canadian "folk" music with all of Gord's all time favorites and hits.
on 30 May 2014
Why Gordon Lightfoot is not more revered in the UK I do not know. I lived in Canada in the 1970s and his songs were such a delight when I heard them all the time there. Wonderful mix of poetic expressiveness and wonderful musicality - forever Canada.

This LP contains some songs which are not quite as great as some of his biggest hits, but it is still highly commended.
on 21 March 2013
I brought this CD for my Dad for christmas as he couldn't find it in the shops and he loves it.

Thanks Amazon.
on 11 May 2011
What a talent. Beautiful music, every song tells a story, wide range of moods and Gordon's great voice! The Canadian Railroad Trilogy is a triumph of clever writing and music. I saw this man many times when living in Toronto, Canada, where his concerts were sellouts. Still listening Gord, here in Ireland! You are the best!
on 11 January 2012
Had this in the album form in the 1980s. This cd is incredible and got if for the incredible price on Amazon. Lightfoot is one of the most under-rated folk artists ever. If you are into folk singer songwriters, this is really a must-have. You won't be disappointed.
on 25 June 2013
Did not have this album originally and purchased it as part of a deal. Well worth the money. Thank goodness there was a deal or I may not have purchased it at all. Really love it
on 23 March 2013
The lyrics are so beautiful and the accompanying music is bliss. I listen to it every evening. Anyone who appreciates good storytelling and beautiful music will love this.