5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, good wireless range, good quality setup

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value... does the job
Published on 17 Feb 2012 by Mr J Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, good wireless range, good quality setup, 6 Dec 2010
D. J. Burton (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 (Retail Packaging) (Personal Computers)
I've put up with a wired desktop for years - struggling with stopping the cables dragging the mouse, and climbing behind the computer to swap over the USB cables when switching between my desktop and a "working from home" laptop. Now that wireless alternatives claim to be more reliable than ever and about the same price as wired alternatives I thought I'd step out of the dark ages and get a wireless desktop instead.

I've always liked Microsoft's keyboard and mice, even the basic ones, and this is why I chose to try this basic wireless keyboard and mouse offering from Microsoft.

Initial impressions were very good - the keyboard is gloss black with a white underbelly, and the mouse has a gloss black streak around its edge to match. They both feel a bit too light, but once the mouse has its batteries installed it has a much better weight to it. The keyboard doesn't move at all during use so the light weight doesn't affect the feel or the quality in the end.

Batteries installed (2 AAA and 2 AA Duracell batteries supplied in the box) and the USB "dongle" plugged into my PC (NOTE: single, one for the mouse and keyboard combined), Windows XP found the devices within 30 seconds and they were both ready to use. A nice touch is that the mouse only requires one of its AA batteries to work - handy if you only have a single spare floating about in an emergency. The keyboard takes 2 AAA batteries.

UPDATE: I've since tried this on Windows 7 and Mac OS, and both have worked perfectly.

The mouse is very controllable, slightly more sensitive than my Microsoft wired mouse but very accurate and a nice positive button click and scrollwheel. There are no extra fancy buttons to be had here - just left, right, and middle (the wheel). It had a range of over 15 feet when I gave it a test - I ran out of rooms and it was too cold outside to push it to the limit. This was with fresh AA batteries.

As for the keyboard, it's ever so slightly too compact to be the best I've tried, but the keys are all full size so 99.9% of the time this won't be an issue. The reason for the compact size is that the function keys are half height, and the number pad and cursor keys butt right up to each other rather than have a gap like in most keyboards. I've heard this is better to help combat RSI - you don't have to move your hands as far to get to the mouse if the keyboard is compact and you're right handed. The Enter key is double height so that's one benefit over other compact keyboards.

The keyboard has a very good feel to its keys - they're quite short "throw" which I like, quiet to the touch, almost like an Apple offering. It can be raised thanks to a couple of simple feet at the back; my only criticism is that I'd like the back to go up another few mm in order to get the keys to the same level as my last keyboard - but I believe this is me just getting used to it. Another downside is that there are no lights for caps lock / scroll lock. Not too big an issue as it's pretty obvious when you switch to CAPS.... There are some extra media buttons (volume / play / pause) and a calculator button if you like doing sums when you're bored.

All in all this is an extremely good offering from Microsoft - better looking than the alternatives and of superb quality.

EDIT: Battery life is great - first set of batteries and I've used the keyboard and mouse most days for an hour for well over a month. Still getting used to the slightly more compact layout compared to my work keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as gold, 18 Nov 2010
D. Padbury - See all my reviews
This desktop set is quite stylish, nicely positive keys and doesn't need to be in sight of the receiver. It has about a 15 foot range so it won't matter if your machine is hidden away as it'll still work perfectly. Heaps better than my previous wireless keyboard. The seller was A1 too and it was delivered very quickly. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value... does the job, 17 Feb 2012
A good all round value wireless keyboard and mouse set. Being a software developer and using keyboard for hours and hours on end every day, its essential the keyboard has a good quality feel to it... which it does. However, the function keys are too small and the keyboard layout / ergonomics does appear slightly cramped particularly when using many of the keyboard shortcut keys. Despite that, its still a good quality keyboard.

The Mouse is simple and functional though does feel slightly heavy to move on a wooden surface, so perhaps more to do with the surface rather than the mouse.

The wireless capability and longevity of the batteries are exceptionally good!! Certainly recommend this product for its overall strengths of price, style and quality!

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality, very good value, one minor design flaw, 28 Mar 2011
Nicholas Sales (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I use several different keyboards regularly. I have a wired HP keyboard, which is a little noisy and clicky but OK. A couple of "A4 Tech" wireless keyboards/mice from Maplins which are very compact, but the key action is too heavy and they're noisy.

I also have a 6 year-old Belkin wireless keyboard/mouse which until now was my favourite - simple, but effective.

Despite only giving it 4 stars (I'll explain why), this Microsoft deskset is my new favourite. (And it must be good, as I'm not a big fan of Microsoft!)

The key features are:
- 2.4GHz band: better reception, works from about 10ft away through a wall, and at least 15ft in air for me (I just tested it!) Bear in mind you wouldn't normally want to use a keyboard through a wall, of course.
- 3-button ambidextrous mouse
- tiny USB receiver that stows under the mouse for safe-keeping
- slim profile (overall thickness of keyboard, and height are on the slim side
- keyboard feet to raise angle
- mouse takes 2xAA batteries, keyboard 2xAAA (all supplied, all Duracell in my box)
- key caps have varnished transfers rather than etched/moulded characters; these sometimes wear poorly, but we'll need to wait for a while to see how it goes...

As usual, some pros and cons to help you decide.

Pros:
- individual keys slope up at different angles meaning your fingertips connect with all of them at the same angle: this is much more comfortable than standard keyboards
- the key caps are all slightly concave, meaning more comfortable typing again, and more accuracy, as your fingers can feel where they are better with well-defined key edges
- some keys are ergonomically designed (Caps Lock is made harder to press by accident when using "Shift" or "Tab") or situated (cursor keys and navigation keys are not separated from the alpha-keys by a gap, making for greater ease of use
- keys are "constant resistance" action: there's no large initial resistance click, and so impact is softer, making for more comfortable typing
- the keyboard is also very quiet
- for the comfort, response, and build quality (but not the noise), the keyboard feels like it rivals the legendary old Apple "Extended Keyboard II" (I have one, so I know!)
- the mouse is a simple, 3-button scroll wheel model, suitable for left- and right-handers alike. I sometimes use my mouse left-handed, and can't stand right-handed-only mice!
- the mouse is very responsive with light, positive click action

Cons:
- the mouse's scroll wheel action isn't quite "notchy" enough for my taste - I prefer it a little more clicky, although I'm sure I'll get used to it
- the keyboard's border and mouse's "skirt" is in fashionable "glossy piano black", which will scratch and mark almost instantly as it's a soft plastic surface
- the "Function" keys, and the "Escape" are low profile and 1/3 the height (although same width) of normal keys.

For me, this last point is the "minor design flaw" I mentioned in the review title - I use those keys frequently, and I don't know how comfortable this setup is. It certainly seems odd and a bit fiddly at the moment, although I've only had the keyboard a few hours - I'll update the review if I change my opinion.

Overall, this is a superb keyboard and mouse, with the keyboard being really lovely to type on - quiet, positive, and easy on the finger joints.

If it had bigger Escape and F keys, I'd give it 5 stars; as it is, it gets 4 stars, with a recommendation to try one out if you can, to see if you're bothered by the key size. If you're not, it'd be hard to beat the value and quality of this deskset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard and great mouse, 8 July 2011
Stuart Porter (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm really pleased with this keyboard and mouse. I received:

1 x Microsoft wireless keyboard 800
powered by 2 aaa batteries supplied

1 x Microsoft wireless mouse 1000
powered by 2 aa batteries supplied

I just plugged in the very small USB wireless adapter and let my pc (running windows xp service pack 3) find it. I inserted the batteries into the mouse and into the keyboard and off I went.

There is no on/off switch on the keyboard, I guess it must be switched off whenever a key is not being pressed). There are no indicator lights (e.g. no caps lock indication), but that's no big deal. The keyboard has a nice feel to it, and is not at all clunky. It has a calculator button which is quite useful, plus volume control and play/pause both of which I keep forgetting about! Other functions are pretty much the same as any other keyboard.

Underneath the mouse there is a place to store the usb wireless adapter should you wish to remove it. The mouse stays switched on all the time unless you switch it off, and there is a small on/off switch on the bottom. Probably 50% of the time I forget to switch it off at the end of the day. After a month it still appears to be working well, with no sign of battery failure due to me forgetting.

The mouse has just two buttons, plus a scroll wheel which also can act as a button. It has a nice feel to it. I've not changed the settings. The default settings are nice and responsive but not too much either.

The wireless range is pretty good and both easily work at 15 feet away, any more than that and I can't see the keys or mouse pointer anyway!

The speed of inserting characters or responding to mouse movement are no different to my built-in laptop keyboard or mouse.

I only bought these so that my wife didn't hammer my laptop keyboard to death! I was surprised to find it a much more pleasant experience using this new keyboard and mouse. Ergonomically using a separate keyboard is better than being hunched forward to type on a laptop. With hindsight, if I had to buy another mouse and keyboard, then I'd go and buy exactly the same thing again!

This purchase gets full points from me :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 21 Mar 2011
Just posting a quick review from my new keyboard. I am very happy. Firstly with the excellent service by Amazon. I ordered it on Saturday and i got i Monday! I thought they'd dispatch it on Monday. Secondly, the product is excellent. It was so easy to install. Literally all you need to do it put the USB receiver in the port and turn on the computer - you're ready to go! The range is great. My receiver is very hidden away underneath the desk but the the mouse it very responsive and accurate. For the price, this product is excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy these; they have really let me down, 8 Nov 2013
I have been very disappointed with the mouse and keyboard. I've had them for about 6 months and they have been causing me trouble for the last couple of months. The mouse just goes mad after I have been using it for about 5 minutes and the keyboard is fine if you are only typing a little but beyond that it starts to miss out letters. From the start I realised that I could not type as fast as with a wired keyboard, and had to be very deliberate with key presses. I have replaced them with a Logitech MK270, from PC World, which cost a little more but the mouse has been much smoother and does not go mad, the keyboard allows me to type as fast as I ever did with a wired keyboard. Spend a little more for the Logitech, which costs 21-22, and you will have a much better experience. The transmitter can be stored in the mouse, there is a caps lock light and on/off button on the keyboard, the mouse is lighter and far more accurate, and they both work properly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Removed one star due to it not having a Caps light, 19 Oct 2011
I would love to see a designer trying to explain why there is no caps lock light while in fact there is room for a low battery light which is a lot less useful.

Ok set up was easy { I am using Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine } and the 2.4 GHz wireless dongle works well and provided you are in the same room as your Computer there should be no problems.

The keyboard has the same feel as the Microsoft 2000 Desktop keyboard and really the only thing I have against it is the missing caps lock light as its crazy to not fit one.

If you cant do without the light then don't think of buying as it will drive you Nuts.

5.0 out of 5 stars great set for little money - go wireless!, 17 Oct 2011
Intro:

First of all lets just remind ourselves how much this wireless keyboard and mouse set costs.... under a score

An absolute bargain in my eyes.... Have this sitting about a quarter of a metre from my pc and the dongle in the back. No signal problems what so ever and I have a wireless router below the keyboard set which too outputs a 2.4ghz wireless signal, so no interference at all in my situation!

Good:

- Very cheap for a decent wireless and mouse set
- Has the volume buttons on keyboard & the Play/Pause button
- The keyboard keys feel nice and soft and don't make too much noise
- The mouse is nice and light, the scroll wheel isn't too loose and too tight if you know what I mean, it spins nicely
- Has a built in battery indicator on the keyboard & the mouse has an on/off button for turning it off when not in use, Duracell batteries included for keyboard+mouse!

Bad:

- Only a minor point, I think the mouse scroll wheel is too easy too click down by accident when scrolling up or down, so when browsing it can accidently open a new tab
- The Left and Right arrow keys are too close to the CTRL and 0 button which can cause accidental typing errors.
- The Keyboard is black gloss all the way around so will need fingerprint cleaning all the time!

Wrap-Up:

All in all I think this keyboard set is fantastic value for money, just to get a nice wire-free set up on your desk!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent for price, 26 July 2011
budget price, but good quality nonetheless. Mouse and keyboard have a good feel, but not much in the way of extra buttons (which I dont use anyway). The usb transmitter is quite small and unobstrusive. Connnected to PC before starting up and it was instantly working. As others mentioned the mouse stays on unless you physically switch it off, however i've has it a month and the battery if fine - I leave it on all the time, and use rechargeables anyway. Overall very happy with this purchase, bought it as a temporary solution but ended up not buying another set.