on 5 January 2011
I've just purchased an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop only to find that it only has a single mono speaker on it. Ouch! But most laptop speakers are rubbish anyhow. So I just got one of these to try. I was tempted to go for the smaller Z205 but did not like the look of it sticking on the top of the display (even though the speakers face towards you rather than behind the display like the Z305's do). I also wanted more seperation. The 360 degree sounded tempting too. So anyhow here I have it and I gotta admit it's GREAT! You simply plug it into a USB port. Wait until the drivers install (Mine required a reboot) which you do not even need a CD for as Windows will automagically install them for you and go!

The sound is smooooth and wiiiiiide and has a decent amount of bass to boot. The price is a little offputting but you are paying for some decent bit of kit here so it's well worth it. Stick a HD movie on and you'll soon realise how much worth it it is.

It even has it's own carry case. I can put my laptop in my bag and put this along the top edge of the bag as it's very slim and the cable fits into a groove on the underside along with the clips that are on a hinge mechanism with rubberised bits to protect your laptop. Oh and as a bonus there is a input for external audio sources. Top marks to Logitech for great design and great sound!
11 comment|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2011
This product is fine if you are just looking to listen to music by yourself. It is well made, simple to operate and, unlike previous Logitech laptop speakers, uses the laptop's power via the USB cable, so doesn't need batteries. The sound quality is also good.

However, I bought these speakers as an update on my previous Logitech laptop speakers that I use to deliver audio to a group. The maximum volume is significantly lower than my previous speakers and is not loud enough to fulfil this function.

So, if you are fine with personal usage without high volume, this is a great product. But if you like loud music or want to use this in a larger setting, you will be disappointed.
on 18 March 2011
I bought this from the reviews on Amazon. like another reviewer I have an Acer laptop which strangely has only one speaker.
Pros: compact, good sound from such a small tube. good stereo separation. reasonable tone . volume to fill a room. with little distortion. plug and play setup - works instantly. easy to carry around with the laptop. one wire to usb. fits to top of laptop screen

Cons. does not work through sound card and therefore cannot alter tone . Only on off and volume switches. sound can vary to where you place the speaker. Probably not as good a sound as conventional computer speakers costing half as much - but then a third the size.

Summary - recommended, vastly better sound to the computer speaker. small enough to carry in a laptop case but pay a slight premium for this
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 April 2011
Sound on 2011 MacBook Air is fine normally but recently I stayed at a self catering cottage with no DVD player. I used the MacBook Air connected to a portable DVD player to watch DVDs but even on maximum volume the sound volume was barely acceptable. On quieter movies both me and my partner struggled to hear what people were saying on the movie - even in a rural location with little external noise.

So for next time I bought the Logitech Z305 speakers. And wow - not only much louder but also much more bass and fuller sound. No more straining to hear the movie!

Only slight downside is the MacBook Air is super light and the Z305 speaker a little on the heavy side. With the Z305 speaker clipped to the top of the laptop there was only one position in which the lid didn't fall forward or backward. However this isn't necessarily the best angle for viewing the screen. Not a deal breaker - the speaker can be just put on the desk but top of the laptop is better for sound.

Also note after plugging it in to the MacBook you then need to go to sound settings on the Mac and make sure the external speaker is selected. By default even after being plugged in the internal speaker is used unless you change this.
on 4 March 2011
The others reviewers said this was great, it is. For such a compact product that's powered via USB the sound quality is outstanding.

The sound is enough to fill a large room (our office is 15m x 5m) and we've used the speakers to blast out a variety of music from a laptop.

We took it out of the box, plugged it in, it worked perfectly without any set up/issues at all. A great product.
on 12 August 2011
Being an owner of Logitech's previous speakers model - the Z205, I did not expect much more from Z305, simply something better than my laptop's woefully inadequate speakers and more convenient to mount than what I had already. Imagine my surprise when I actually run them! I've seen and heard many different laptop speakers and thou Z305 won't stand a chance compared to full-size hifi stereo, but they get as close as you can get given the size. I strongly recommend them with conscience clear.
on 27 October 2011
Can't say enough GOOD things about this laptop speaker. Excellent clear sound, very good bass, well made, looks good, easy to set up, plug and play, took only seconds to install, no cd install which was great, just had to restart laptop when told to. Compatable with windows 7. Fits in middle of laptop screen on my Toshiba satellite 17" without being in the way of web cam. The usb lead could do with being a bit longer, but reached fine even though my usb ports are in middle of left hand side of laptop. Don't bother with the Z205 model, pay a bit more as this is well worth it, very, very pleased with Logitech brand, always buy it and a 2 years warranty with them, but usually never need it as top quality products, and last long time. Amazon great price, as saw the Z205 in high street stores at the price as this Z305. Amazon was very speedy with delivery, arrived within 4 days of ordering it, and very well packed.
on 24 October 2011
This is one of those products that has a simple job, and does it perfectly.
I'm a composer, and I have a 'big mac' with lovely expensive monitor speakers, but often have my macbook pro running in the same room, for checking youtube/spotify for reference, and watching the odd program on iplayer. I wanted something reasonably cheap and compact that would significantly improve the quality of the sound output from my laptop. I bought this, and it does exactly that. I could have better quality with a more expensive, and bulkier speaker kit, but that isn't what I wanted or needed. I had reservations about the sound quality - I'm not sure why but I was suspicious of the Logitech brand - but this thing sounds surprisingly good. A no-brainer at £30ish. This little device dramatically improves audio output from a laptop, and I'm no longer distracted or hindered by the tinny/quiet output from the built-in speakers.
Excellent product.
on 8 February 2011
This sound bar clips neatly onto the top of your laptop screen (hanging down the back) and (unlike others) doesn't block off the camera when you skype. Its easy to set up - just plug into a usb, wait a few seconds for it to be recognized. The sound is far better than I was expecting - particularly for classical and rock, there's a really warm and full sounding middle range. Treble and bass also fine. Recommended!
on 30 December 2011
This is a great set of speakers. Nice and compact with a good design that doesn't interfere with a laptop's built in web-cam. It is also powered via the USB port and has a lead which doesn't have much more cable than it requires. This makes it ideal for a laptop where the last thing you want if you are travelling about is speakers that require external power and an excess of cabling hanging down behind your screen where it can, for example, catch on a door handle as you take your laptop from one room to another.

It was also extremely easy to set up. Plugged it into a USB port, waited a couple of seconds while my computer did it's thing and I was away. I can't comment on how good the volume is at high levels as I use it for listening on my own in my room but the volume is fine for this on practically it's lowest setting so I can only assume if I was to crank it right up it would be more than adequate for most requirements. I did start to turn it up to try it at it's highest volume but stopped as it got so loud I thought someone would come and complain. I listen to a lot of classical music which, it seems to me, is generally more of a test of speakers than most other types of music (it is often intricate featuring many instruments, over many frequency ranges and with varying volumes with both loud and quiet sections). I found the sound quality to be excellent.

Highly recommended.

(This review is based on my Samsung RC520 15.6 inch notebook. How the speakers performance will vary on other laptops I cannot say.)