on 3 December 2013
I bought this camera largely due to the fact that I bought a Sanyo C40 about 8 years ago and found that to be a fantastic camera, easily the best I had ever owned. This was bought as an upgrade to HD video and a faster, better result I hoped. The VPC-CG21 does take very good pictures and the HD video is very good indeed and far better at low light than the C40. The really silly points in the new design that shouldnt have happened are:-
There is no power socket built-in, you have to take out the battery to charge it in a separate charger which is a chore.
The memory card slot isnt as easy to access as it should be.
There isnt a base fitting for a wrist strap (you could add one to the top one used for the lens cap)
It doesnt come with a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable so you have to buy one
The lens cap is just silly, its a shape that only goes on in one position and the lanyard cord that attaches it to the camera body is dressed to the other side of the camera making it very fiddly to use. They should have kept to a round cap design like the C40. I can see they have tried to 'jazz-up' the design but this is really annoying to use and not a step forward.
Features and image quality are great the only downside are the ergonomic and operational issues outlined.
This is a LOT of camera for the money now as its been super-ceded so if you want great results you shouldnt go wrong with this camera.
on 23 February 2013
Never had a camcorder and really wasn't sure I even needed one but the price and a magazine write up sold it to me. Since then its been all over the world with me and stood up very well.For my short stubby fingers I do find the controls a bit fiddly but its not a camera fault is it? I don't feel there is any negative about this great little Sanyo product. Smooth finish means it is slippy and I should have got a case for it and also a strap I think, but never got round to it. Maybe I will do that after this review. Would I buy this again - yes.
on 19 November 2011
So glad I chose this over the flip. The stills are amazing and the video is excelent. I got it a nice bag ,a SD card and an extra batery, all tooled up and ready to make movies
on 13 January 2012
What a great product. Whole experience was of first class order. Fantastic value for money easy to use straight out of the box. Delighted with the images and video.
on 18 June 2014
This camera gives very good quality picture. The still shots are amazing quality. So easy to use and the size means it fits in your pocket so i tend to take it everywhere. Like other reviews say, battery life isn't good so buy another spare battery (£4 ish). I've still got to work out how to transfer the recordings to a DVD, because each time you stop recording it saves as a separate image on the camera so will be a pain to have to stop and start each recording. I'm hoping there's a kind of slideshow type setting so it automatically moves through the recordings - but I'm yet to find it! Overall though very pleased with purchase at good price too.
on 28 May 2011
Was considering the FLIP models but saw blurb for Sanyo and it has many excellent features including large screen and STILL pic. facility. Colours are good and sound , so-so, but you must adjust the volume when recording on a windy cliff top!
Hand book is real CON. You have to down load 200 pages and then print off. I had to spend £6 to have it guillotined to size. Terrible.The H.D. built-in memory lasts seconds and you must spend around £7 for GB memory card to get anywhere. However, for around £100 and if you are fed up with carting round a big cam corder, give this a try.AVOID THE CHEAPER BRANDS AROUND £40. NEEDS A WRIST STRAP. BUT TRY AND FIND ONE TO FIT THE SCREW HOLE!!
on 21 May 2016
Excellent camcorder at a good price. I was very pleased with this purchase - in fact I bought it to film the birth of our baby boy. Easy to use - just point and shoot. Lots of optional settings for the more advanced photographer, if desired.
on 28 December 2013
Easy to use and for £100 astonishing quality.
You will need an additional battery though it does chew the power quite quickly.
on 25 March 2014
Very pleased with the quality of the Video and Pics you can read the spec for your self.
I bought this to take to Thailand as a light weight alternative to my professional gear.
The batteries last a decent time as I bought Charger + 2x Battery DB-L80 extra.
Also bought the Gem Anti-Shock Case as well.
This case is very small and accommodates the camera+2 Batteries, Just.
on 6 April 2014
I wanted a low-cost camcorder to get into shooting video and the Sanyo Xacti does exactly what I wanted. Some of the controls are a bit fiddly but the overall results are excellent. One of the really good points is the camera size as it easily slips into a pocket and is quickly available for action. Very good value for money.