4.0 out of 5 stars Check later reviews
UPDATE Jan 2013: Not sure if the new units have changed much since I bought mine (2011), but the prices do seem to have increased quite a bit. I broke the screen on my one quite some time ago. In fairness, this was my fault, not the products, although flush design certainly wouldn't have helped.

Have only been using this unit for 1 week so cannot comment on...
Published on 28 May 2011 by Flaco

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable.
It's a good player for the price.
Some key points.
Sound Quality is excellent, compared to some other players for the same price, and most mobile phones.+2
Interface is weird to get used to, but still gets the job done. +1
Published on 23 Aug 2011 by Tomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Check later reviews, 28 May 2011
Flaco "flacolito" (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black (Electronics)

Have only been using this unit for 1 week so cannot comment on long term reliability (will revisit review if it misbehaves). I do not spend big money on items like these which are losable, pinchable or breakable.

At current standings, cannot find any other player out there that offers this kind of :GB ratio, and it even comes with an FM radio tuner. Amazing. Have had many MP3 players in the past, so not worried about sticking with a particular brand. Only wanted this unit for music storage: cannot conceive of viewing photos and videos or reading books on this size of screen (not with my eyesight at any rate!). Have not tried recording facility in a lecture room, but this is an additional bonus. This amount of storage is great, but the option of expansion via micro SD card is welcome, although I have yet to work out how to access the extra space.

In terms of aesthetics, software, functionality and user interface, yes it does have shortcomings - but I'm after a usable and competitive item, not an iPod challenger at 2-3 times the price. That said, I have had branded alternatives that were considerably bigger, more expensive and had less logic behind their button selections for accessing data; it really doesn't take long to learn the most frequently used keystrokes (or some more advanced ones, for that matter).

Has been an absolute breeze to transfer/delete music files either directly through Windows Explorer or Windows Media Player (just remember to select the 'Update Library' function next time you switch it on), and you can search by song, artist, album and genre as long as that structure is already in place in the location you are transferring from. It has maintained all my ID3 tag data. When you plug it in via USB, it will go into supercharge (Zap charge) mode for the first 15mins, which will offer about 1hr of playback after 1min of charging if that's all the time you've got. Useful feature, but I haven't tested out the claim.

Having the radio tuner is great, although the sound is not amazing. Supplied ear buds are usable but pants IMO. I've had worse, but even an alternative cheap pair I have sound better. Very subjective issue. Generally the sound is perfectly good and the preset equaliser settings are sufficient to actually register a difference. I'm pleased that EU firmware requirements haven't completely wrecked the maximum volume setting on this unit, but you'll need good ear buds to make the most of what's available.

Very good value, and if it's still working this time next year, I would re-qualify it as exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great liitle player, 31 May 2011
Bought this little player as a back up for my Sony Walkman MP3 player, however I now find myself picking up the Kubik when I go out rather than the Sony! The sound quality is good and its easy to work. Put in an 8gb micro sd card which gives me a whopping 16gb of storage for my music. really pleased and would highly reccomend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of space for the price, 15 Dec 2010
Amanda Voss (UK) - See all my reviews
The kubik evo is a rather nifty little number, which like the other kubik edge models is cheap and cheerful. For 8GB of space 35 is rather reasonable. The battery life is also quite impressive, and the earphones are a little better than the usually tut supplied with players. There are also a couple of nice functions which you don't get on the most basic of players, like shuffle, (they call it random setting or something), a photo viewer and a radio. The whole thing is pretty small- ipod nano sort of size, (there are some good pictures of it next to a credit card above).

Of course there are a few points to be improved; when files are put onto the player they are automatically sorted into file name order, (why?- they never did this on any of their other products). And despite a lot of trying, I couldn't get my videos to work on the player, using the software suggested, or otherwise. The weird thing is, the sample videos work perfectly. Perhaps it is only meant for short videos? Still, I only wanted the player for music, and if you're serious about video playback capability, you'll want something with a bigger screen.

However, I found that to get around the auto file sorting, you need to access the way windows media player, (or any other software) puts the music on the device. In the sync options of WMP, it is possible to change the settings for the player. If 'create folder hierarchy' is unchecked, then the music will be put on the player in the order you choose.

So overall its a nice little player, at a reasonable price- of course its not as flashy as an ipod, but if you just want to play music, it's perfect. Just don't rely on the bells and whistles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 10 Dec 2011
Length:: 1:16 Mins

Don't know if someone said it before, but it's very light. You can lose it from your pockets and you won't realize :/
First the good things. The amount of space is large enough -at least for me- to play all the music you have. Really, you may have 10+ GB of music in your computer but do you really listen to all of the songs? I put all the music in this player when I bought it and I think I won't need to remove any song in a long time. Anyway, if you need some extra space, the MicroSD slot will be your salvation.
You can play music by artist, album, all of the songs together, ramdom mode... as usual. Besides you can read the lyrics while playing music. You can also play videos, but well, I'd prefer not to do so with that screen.
I've read in a few reviews that a big problem this MP3 has is that you can't resume the music at the point you left it after turning it off. Well, sometimes it's worth it to read the instructions book the device comes with. The "Breakpoint player" option in the "Music" menu will do it fine. Ok, you have to pause music, go back to the Music menu and select "Breakpoint player". Not as simple as pause and turn it off, but it's something.
The price, perfect. I won't find anything cheaper in physical stores, not where I live at least.

The bad things could be the provided earphones. The quality sound is bad, really bad. However, I actually paid for a MP3 player, and we all know you'll have to buy your own earphones separately. Just use them to check your device works fine.
Also, this player is made of plastic... sometimes it looks like it's going to break apart when pressing buttons. Mine is still in one piece after 3-4 months, so no problem. Really, it won't break unless you throw it against the wall or something.
And the last thing, at the beggining it will be hard to get used to the buttons: press Vol button to go back to the menu, Menu button to play a song... Not very intuitive, but after 2 days it won't be a problem at all.

So, 5 stars. These "disadvantages" are not big headaches at all.

PS: I've uploaded a video where I show what I said about resuming music. In the video I was playing a song, then pause it. Went to the Music menu and pressed the Menu button when "Breakpoint player" was highlighted. Then turned it off, turned it on, selected "Breakpoint player" again and the music resumes where I left it. The song is "Like Toy Soldier", you can check it's the same before and after turning it off. You can also hear the plastic-sound when I press buttons.
Sorry for the bad quality, I recorded it with my old mobile phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable., 23 Aug 2011
It's a good player for the price.
Some key points.
Interface is weird to get used to, but still gets the job done. +1
Software sometimes bugs/glitches with converted files. So if your downloading songs from Youtube sometimes you might notice something like delayed songs. -2
Has a game for when your bored and rocking out to songs, that doesn't interfere with your music. +1
Battery is LONG Lasting. I actually left it on in my locker at work for 4 hours and it only burnt half of its battery.+1

Hope this review gonna make you buy this one since its really good considering the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the Nuts!, 21 July 2011
If your needs are;

+ You want as much storage space as possible for as cheap as possible
+ You want something that will play LOUD!
+ You want something light
+ With Radio, Dictaphone and storage for photos

This is it!

I am listening to it now and it is belting out the sound. I am using my own headphones (Sony in-ear) as the ones provided are a bit naff.

There is no mains adapter so you have to charge it from a computer.

It takes two hours to charge and will then last you about 20 hours!!!

The controls are fiddly at first but if you cant figure them out and be used to them in about 2 minutes you are a muppet.

It has absoloutely none of the design of an ipod but i don't care. It is still tiny and pretty in its own right.

I spent an extra 6 on a MICRO SD card and I now have 16GB of music.

It takes a while to transfer the full 16GB of music onto it but just leave it attached to your computer for an hour and you are done. how often do you move 16GB of music? exactly.

Transferring music onto it is as simple as dragging and dropping.

Would be nice if there was a lock key but I can live without it.

I bought this because I didn't want to take my Ipod travelling with me and I am well impressed.

I'd rather have this than an Ipod anyway as you can easily share music with friends. (as long as they have the origional version of the cd that you are sharing with them of course ;)

Buy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, long lasting, and value for money., 15 April 2013
We've now bought three of these, we like them so much.
Opening the box, you find that It comes as a full package: printed manual, USB power lead and very comfortable headphones.
The build quality is immediately obvious - not Apple level, but solid and dependable. It doesn't feel "plasticky", or that it'll only last 5 minutes. Buttons are easy to use and give a satisfying and solid "click" when used.
The build quality feel is backed up by my daughter's one surviving nearly two years of abuse at the hands of an 8 year old, and still working perfectly.
The menus are easy to navigate, and generally intuitive. Both my 6 year old and my technophobe wife have no problem with them.
It comes with "extras", including video player, games, and a photo viewer. The screen really too small for these to be that useful, but my kids do love the games, basic as they are.
The battery life is, and remains, good
At the current price, it's very good value for money, and much better than the many others I've tried at a similar price.
Any gripes? Well, maybe one. It comes well packaged, but the box is bigger than it needs to be - not very green!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Audio-Player!!!!, 13 April 2013
Mr. Archibald Brown "archiefrewbrown@hotmail.... (Milton Keynes, England) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed using this product for some several months now, and use it regularly in place of my (now Neglected) iPod. The KubiK is simple to use, offers an ample memory - for my numerous audio-books - and has a great expansion-card allowance. I am 72 years of age, with concommitant 'hearing' problems. The Kubik offers a respectable sound-range, without having to 'hit' maximum volume. What more might I say-? Well, it is very compact, and can slip into a tiny pocket. All-in-all, I opine that the '5-Stars' is fully-deserved. In fact, I am contemplating purchasing another, for my wife. Well-done, manufacturer, and thanks, Seller, for such a product at such an incredibly-ridiculous proce. Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but there are drawbacks, 9 Dec 2012
Others have commented on the good points about this MP3 player, and I won't add to those. I bought it partly on the strength of those reviews, so, for those who are thinking of buying this, I have (very quickly) found a few drawbacks.

1. It does not honour the Track Number tag in the MP3. Instead, it plays MP3s in the order in which it finds them, and the order in which it finds them is the order in which they are copied to the player. Modern operating systems rearrange file order for display, so when selecting files to drag and drop it's important not to drag and drop a whole folder (which will copy them in the order they are on the disk), but rather to select the individual files (which will copy them in the order they are displayed). Even then the copying can sometimes go wrong and the tracks appear on the player in the wrong order. As a last resort, tracks can be dragged and dropped individually, which will put them in the order they are dropped.

2. When arranging MP3s by the album (ie.the Album Title tag), it seems to use only the first few characters for comparison. I've found that items tagged as 'Beethoven - Symphony No 9', 'Beethoven - Symphony No 7', 'Beethoven - Symphony No 6', and 'Beethoven - Symphony No 3' are all placed in the 'album' labelled 'Beethoven - Symphony No 9', which now has 17 movements!

3. When listing, both by album and by Artists, each track is listed by the name of its MP3 file, not by the Title tag. If for some reason these are different (eg. you've ripped from a CD and added tags afterwards), you can end up with a lot of 'Track 1's! The tag is correctly displayed when the track is playing, however.

4. It pauses between tracks as it plays them, and this pause cannot be removed or its length changed. This usually doesn't matter, but sometimes (eg Beethoven's Violin Concerto) one track is supposed to flow into the next without stopping, and in these cases the result is disconcerting.

Many people will be able to live with these drawbacks, but those who can't should look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 23 Nov 2012
I read all the many reviews on the Kubik Evo 8GB (and reviews on scores of similar products) before deciding to buy it. It replaces my old Creative Zen Touch which has a pathetic charging life, is not compatible with Windows 7 (and so I can't do anything about the 600 or so CDs stored on it) and is very cumbersome. I was apprehensive on account of the several criticisms recorded against the Kubik Evo but I risked ordering it (superb next day delivery from Amazon). During the initial charging-up time of two hours from my laptop I went through the manual several times and also copied over 7GB music files (by simple dragging). The Kubik is perfect! At 77 and not particularly nibble with my fingers, I found the controls easy to handle and my preferences on controls and radio stations easy to set by taking my time and remembering each step as I went along. Yes, it does look like a child's toy and, as noted by previous reviewers, I needed to substitute my Creative earphones but the sound quality with them is as good as I could wish for. And the Kubik is ridiculously small and light. Incidentally the Kubic leather case is a "must" for protection while in a pocket etc and I'm now waiting for a 32GB micro card and a mains plug. In my view this is an excellent product worth vastly more than its relatively low price, not least because of its easy expandability and promised long charged-battery life. If my Kubik does stop working for some some reason, I'll amend this review - but frankly at less than 40 who can complain as long as it gives reasonable service with gentle handling?

ARRAY(0x9e8deef4)