1,144 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Check later reviews
UPDATE Jan 2013: Not sure if the new units have changed much since I bought mine (2011), but the prices do seem to have increased quite a bit. I broke the screen on my one quite some time ago. In fairness, this was my fault, not the products, although flush design certainly wouldn't have helped.

Have only been using this unit for 1 week so cannot comment on...
Published on 28 May 2011 by Flaco

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable.
It's a good player for the price.
Some key points.
Sound Quality is excellent, compared to some other players for the same price, and most mobile phones.+2
Interface is weird to get used to, but still gets the job done. +1
Published on 23 Aug 2011 by Tomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Check later reviews, 28 May 2011
Flaco "flacolito" (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black (Electronics)

Have only been using this unit for 1 week so cannot comment on long term reliability (will revisit review if it misbehaves). I do not spend big money on items like these which are losable, pinchable or breakable.

At current standings, cannot find any other player out there that offers this kind of :GB ratio, and it even comes with an FM radio tuner. Amazing. Have had many MP3 players in the past, so not worried about sticking with a particular brand. Only wanted this unit for music storage: cannot conceive of viewing photos and videos or reading books on this size of screen (not with my eyesight at any rate!). Have not tried recording facility in a lecture room, but this is an additional bonus. This amount of storage is great, but the option of expansion via micro SD card is welcome, although I have yet to work out how to access the extra space.

In terms of aesthetics, software, functionality and user interface, yes it does have shortcomings - but I'm after a usable and competitive item, not an iPod challenger at 2-3 times the price. That said, I have had branded alternatives that were considerably bigger, more expensive and had less logic behind their button selections for accessing data; it really doesn't take long to learn the most frequently used keystrokes (or some more advanced ones, for that matter).

Has been an absolute breeze to transfer/delete music files either directly through Windows Explorer or Windows Media Player (just remember to select the 'Update Library' function next time you switch it on), and you can search by song, artist, album and genre as long as that structure is already in place in the location you are transferring from. It has maintained all my ID3 tag data. When you plug it in via USB, it will go into supercharge (Zap charge) mode for the first 15mins, which will offer about 1hr of playback after 1min of charging if that's all the time you've got. Useful feature, but I haven't tested out the claim.

Having the radio tuner is great, although the sound is not amazing. Supplied ear buds are usable but pants IMO. I've had worse, but even an alternative cheap pair I have sound better. Very subjective issue. Generally the sound is perfectly good and the preset equaliser settings are sufficient to actually register a difference. I'm pleased that EU firmware requirements haven't completely wrecked the maximum volume setting on this unit, but you'll need good ear buds to make the most of what's available.

Very good value, and if it's still working this time next year, I would re-qualify it as exceptional.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of space for the price, 15 Dec 2010
Amanda Voss (UK) - See all my reviews
The kubik evo is a rather nifty little number, which like the other kubik edge models is cheap and cheerful. For 8GB of space 35 is rather reasonable. The battery life is also quite impressive, and the earphones are a little better than the usually tut supplied with players. There are also a couple of nice functions which you don't get on the most basic of players, like shuffle, (they call it random setting or something), a photo viewer and a radio. The whole thing is pretty small- ipod nano sort of size, (there are some good pictures of it next to a credit card above).

Of course there are a few points to be improved; when files are put onto the player they are automatically sorted into file name order, (why?- they never did this on any of their other products). And despite a lot of trying, I couldn't get my videos to work on the player, using the software suggested, or otherwise. The weird thing is, the sample videos work perfectly. Perhaps it is only meant for short videos? Still, I only wanted the player for music, and if you're serious about video playback capability, you'll want something with a bigger screen.

However, I found that to get around the auto file sorting, you need to access the way windows media player, (or any other software) puts the music on the device. In the sync options of WMP, it is possible to change the settings for the player. If 'create folder hierarchy' is unchecked, then the music will be put on the player in the order you choose.

So overall its a nice little player, at a reasonable price- of course its not as flashy as an ipod, but if you just want to play music, it's perfect. Just don't rely on the bells and whistles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound quality, let down by controls, 25 Nov 2013
Good points:

1. The sound quality is excellent.
2. Good battery life. I listen to it on the way to and from work and it lasts over a week.
3. Good volume - I've never got to maximum.
4. Good, clear display.

Bad points:

1. Weird multi-function controls. To increase the volume, for instance, requires 3 button presses - press the large M button in the middle then the volume button then either the forward or back button to change the volume.
2. It doesn't remember where you were when you switch off. I is possible to get round this by using the 'breakpoint player' function, but it's a real faff. Press the M button, then the pause button. Then hold down the M button to get back to the main menu. Then press 'music'. The the back button and select the breakpoint player option. Then you can turn it off = but not with the on/off switch - you have to hold down the pause button until it goes off.
3. There is no keypad lock. Pity the on/off button couldn't have been a keypad lock instead.
4. There is about a one second gap between tracks, which is a pain if you're listening to an album where the tracks segue into the next - like a live album, for instance.
5. If you just copy your files over, you'll find that they're not sorted into any sort of order. Even if you view them by album, the tracks aren't sorted into the right order. Again, this can be a pain if you're listening to an album where one track segues into the next.(If you use a Linux distribution (such as Ubuntu), you can sort them using the fatsort utility, but you have to do this each time after you download more music.)

There are probably more bad points which I can't remember at the moment, but will tomorrow when I come to use it again. But despite this, I'd still buy another in preference to my previous Sansa Clip, because the sound quality knocks the socks off of it!

If you're the sort of person who downloads lots of music, puts it on shuffle play and just listens to whatever comes up next, it's probably ideal.

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice for the price!, 19 July 2012
I was looking for a cheap player that would basically do the same things as my old creative zen (sadly lost) and that would play all the audio formats i would be likely to throw at it - .flac included. Due to budget constraints i could not stretch to a directly comparable unit to my old zen. As this was priced at 28.99 for the 8gb Kubik Evo when i bought it, this won over the slightly more expensive but better trusted sansa fuze+ (the touch pad was getting a lot of moans in the reviews). As has been remarked, the unit is very light and made of plastic with clicky buttons that click like buttons on an old mobile phone - not actually as bad as some of the reviews are making out. what do they expect for this price?. Because of this i also purchased the leather effect wrap fronted case, which looks and feels very nice, adds crucial weight so you can feel it in your pocket, and protects it from drops and bumps. It does this very well IMO and is a worthy extra purchase - i don't expect the unit would stand too many bumps and drops if not in a case/protector.

I was expecting operation of this device to be confusing based on some of the reviews saying it is not intuitive. I found no problem at all and controls were easily worked out from first operation. To answer other reviewers quibbles about not being able to pick up at the point where it was switched off on previous operation, these people obviously arent using the breakpoint player correctly. If the user scrolls to breakpoint player in the main menu and presses select (central button)the player will start from the last point.

I was expecting the earphones to be a lot poorer than they are. they are in ear type and seal out outside noise. sound, although obviously not as good 20-30 earphones, is pretty good considering the price for the whole package. The sound of the player itself is crystal clear, and for what it is it's great. In addition to multipresets and user changable EQ settings there is a setting for added bass and one for MS "3D" sound. the extra bass sounds slightly muddy compared with my old zen players but the 3D sound option on the jazz preset is sounding just great for music i'm throwing at it. I have heard better sound on mp3 players (my creative zen was fantastic sound-wise) but then this is a budget all rounder and it more than suffices. i suspect sound would be improved through better headphones also.

Battery life on this is great. I'd played it for an hour after charging and fell asleep with it on. I didn't think to check it when i woke as it had slipped off my head and it was still playing at lunchtime the next day (18-20hrs thereabouts). Charging is a doddle and only takes an hour or two. I like the fact that this is just like a plug and play flash drive so you can drag and drop files to it like any folder on your PC, it makes for super simple operation.

When it comes to the other functions i can't comment much as i bought this primarily as a music player to take to the gym and wear out and about on journeys until i can afford something really fine like a Cowon i10 or a 160gig ipod. The screen is simply adequate and i wouldn't like to watch a film on it - i wouldn't want to anyway, surely you'd buy a different player if you wanted to more than simply play about with it's other functions. The tetris type game could be useful for train journeys but again i wouldn't use this as a game system as the buttons could possibly wear out (they feel fine but are plastic and i wouldn't want to tempt fate).

Hope that little summing up helps anyone struggling to make a decision with this one. personally i'm glad i took the chance on it.

If you're looking for something cheap that does the job as a music player for the gym, or you're looking to buy one for a child that's not astronomical pricewise (the little buggers do have a habit of getting things broken - it's nice that these also come in a girls pink and white aswell as the black and orange)the Kubik Evo could be the mp3 player for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars good things in little parcels, 6 Feb 2012
And it is small. Bigger than ipod nanno (modern version) but smaller than a bank card. It may be small but it is big on content I had loaded 27 albums on to this little player and it doesn't even use half the memory so I can load some photos into an album for my husband. He is a retired teenager of 68 years old and he likes quite a selection of records he shuffles them so he doesn't know which song is playing next until it gets played which he likes. The problem at the moment is that he loses the place that he was at previously. If that little hiccup could be sorted out, the Kubick evo 8gb would have had 5 stars. My husband prefers to use the ear phones that he had previous for gen 1 ipod which were not even part of that player. the speakers that came with the Kubick are alright but he prefers his own. The charge time is great too 15min charge for 1hour play and full charge takes only 1hour and lasts for 3 days and still only 1/4 charge left after playing for 5hrs whilst he helps out at place of work. Overall a nice little player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great liitle player, 31 May 2011
Bought this little player as a back up for my Sony Walkman MP3 player, however I now find myself picking up the Kubik when I go out rather than the Sony! The sound quality is good and its easy to work. Put in an 8gb micro sd card which gives me a whopping 16gb of storage for my music. really pleased and would highly reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 23 Nov 2012
I read all the many reviews on the Kubik Evo 8GB (and reviews on scores of similar products) before deciding to buy it. It replaces my old Creative Zen Touch which has a pathetic charging life, is not compatible with Windows 7 (and so I can't do anything about the 600 or so CDs stored on it) and is very cumbersome. I was apprehensive on account of the several criticisms recorded against the Kubik Evo but I risked ordering it (superb next day delivery from Amazon). During the initial charging-up time of two hours from my laptop I went through the manual several times and also copied over 7GB music files (by simple dragging). The Kubik is perfect! At 77 and not particularly nibble with my fingers, I found the controls easy to handle and my preferences on controls and radio stations easy to set by taking my time and remembering each step as I went along. Yes, it does look like a child's toy and, as noted by previous reviewers, I needed to substitute my Creative earphones but the sound quality with them is as good as I could wish for. And the Kubik is ridiculously small and light. Incidentally the Kubic leather case is a "must" for protection while in a pocket etc and I'm now waiting for a 32GB micro card and a mains plug. In my view this is an excellent product worth vastly more than its relatively low price, not least because of its easy expandability and promised long charged-battery life. If my Kubik does stop working for some some reason, I'll amend this review - but frankly at less than 40 who can complain as long as it gives reasonable service with gentle handling?

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable., 23 Aug 2011
It's a good player for the price.
Some key points.
Interface is weird to get used to, but still gets the job done. +1
Software sometimes bugs/glitches with converted files. So if your downloading songs from Youtube sometimes you might notice something like delayed songs. -2
Has a game for when your bored and rocking out to songs, that doesn't interfere with your music. +1
Battery is LONG Lasting. I actually left it on in my locker at work for 4 hours and it only burnt half of its battery.+1

Hope this review gonna make you buy this one since its really good considering the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you read the most recent reviews!!! Great little MP3, 10 May 2014
Before I bought this before I properly read the reviews ( my old creative Zen MP3 player died on me and I needed a replacement fast) and was terrified! So many people going on about it just not starting up and having a really bad interface, I was really worried I had just wasted my money but I didn't need to be.
The packaging, as promised is fuss free and delivery was really quite fast. I was very careful to set it all up properly but the instructions were very easy to follow and after charging if for 2 hours (full charge) and moving my music across ( so simple! just a copy and paste job on the files) it started up and worked brilliantly and the sound quality is great.
The battery life is worth mentioning. I've had the player for 9 days, I've used it for about 2 hours a day, I skip songs A LOT! and have forgotten to turn it off standby more then once ( you have to turn it off via the switch, there's no automatic cut off / I haven't set one up yet if you can) and this is the first time I have had to charge it.
People has said the interface is difficult to get used to but I didn't find this the case ( however I am 21 and doing a technical degree so I am a little bias and I can see if being little more difficult to get used to for someone less so tech savvy).
The only bits I find a little annoying is it doesn't shut down on its own after say 15 mins or so like my last player did but it didn't seem to effect the battery too much ( and I'm sure there's a setting to make it do so) and you need to click the standby button before changing the song IF its gone into standby, if it hasn't you just pause the song before changing it, again not a huge problem and easy to get used to but I have been left wondering why nothing was playing more than a few times.
The main thing people have brought up has been the quality of manufacture and that the player feels very cheap and plasticy.
It is. The on/off button rattles a little if the player is shook and the centre button feels as if you could pop it out . Having said that its an 8gb player, that can be expanded with an Micro SD card, with a nice large(ish) screen for under 30. Be realistic in your expectations. In terms of value for money this player is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Important: must read the User Manual ! (and this review!), 9 Jan 2013
Gary Hicks "Gary Hicks" (Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
***************************
(UPDATED May 30th 2013)
The unit does have a lock function! You press and hold the 'Standby' button (top-right on the face of the unit) with the 'main' button (center of the unit) -hold for about 3-5 seconds -and the unit will lock! Great. Now I have finally figured out how to lock the MP3 player it is a perfect item and I am glad to bump my original rating from 4 stars to 5. I hope more people can read this review to 'unlock' the potential of this surprisingly resilient and reliable piece of kit!
***************************

*THE GOOD* excellent price/capacity ratio. 12 month manufacturer warranty.

**THE BAD** no 'lock' button. **UPDATED: it does have a lock function!**

***THE UGLY*** bizarre button layout.

Two important notes:
--------------------
(1) POWER ON: turning your unit on is a two-step process: (i) push the ON/OFF button to ON, (ii) now push and hold the 'Standby' button for 3-5 seconds. The 'Standby' button is the top-right button on the front of the unit marked as 'Play/Pause'.

(2) SAVING SETTINGS: to save your settings you must: turn the unit off using the Standby button. Push and hold the 'Standby' button for 3 seconds to turn the unit off. You only need to do this once to save your settings.

REVIEW:
-------
A player with potential let down by an appalling button layout and interface. The price:capacity is very competitive as is the ability to expand upon the 8GB capacity with its built-in Micro SD slot. However you will be left frustrated if you are using this unit on a regular basis, more than once a day, as the software and button layout are counter intuitive. Once you are past the design quirks, however, the unit can be relied upon for decent sound quality and features adequate playback and repeat modes to satisfy most MP3 collections.

The unit is let down ultimately by a bizarre button layout. The 'Back' button, most of the time*, is the 'Volume' button. *However, the 'Volume' button becomes the Volume toggle** whilst a track is playing. **The main 'M' button serves as 'Back' [to menu] when music is playing, and the volume (control) is toggled on/off and then controlled via the 'Previous track' and 'Next track' buttons... sound confusing? Yes, it is, and serves as the basis for how the rest of the menus work too -using the lower left and right 'Previous track' and 'Next track' buttons to navigate 'up' and 'down' the interface menus.

The software could be better, too. The software designers seemed to forget the units' primary purpose: a music player. Instead, it takes you many clicks just to access your music library every time you power on. I would be happy to give the unit 5 stars, despite the odd button layout and shortcomings, if it gave you quicker access to music once powered on. As it is, the unit in my opinion, would be too infuriating to use more than once a day.

In use, the MP3 player provides adequate sound quality. The absence of a 'lock' button loses the MP3 player at least one star in my opinion as to me this is of importance: I do not want to be walking, commuting or working out to then be interrupted and having to concentrate on the unit's bizarre button assignments to navigate back to where I should be. That said, the buttons are quite 'clicky' so given enough pocket space or fastenings I doubt the player would succumb oftenly to accidental button presses. I do fear that the 'Power On/Off' (side button) could be pulled to 'off' though.

The supplied earbuds look quite impressive actually, though sound muffled, close and tinny in use. The headphone cable is pretty robust, not feeling too cheap but does tend to knot easily. They were quite comfortable in the ear, though they leaked quite a lot of noise. I purchased the Sony MDREX50LPS earbuds to use with this unit instead, and combined they sound quite good giving adequate bass and space. The unit does provide several Equaliser presets and the ability to create your own -of which I chose to use the "MS Play FX" preset.

*** In Summary ***

It is disappointing that so many 'design' choices have not only flawed its use but resulted in so many negative reviews -of which some are simply incorrect. Many criticisms such as the inability to 'save' settings are simply untrue, whilst Power On/Off issues I fear may be due to users not having read the User Manual. Once all of these quirks are understood however, the Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 player can be seen as a reliable, extremely well priced unit. Fatally, the Kubik Evo 8GB fails on two accounts: (1) does not have an ability to remember 'where' you were when you power on/off and, (2) does not have a 'lock' button.

I would only recommend this unit to people who use their MP3 player many times a day or whom fear they will need a lock button. Otherwise, the Kubik Evo 8GB makes an excellent casual-use MP3 player that is dependable and includes a 12 month warranty.