4.0 out of 5 stars A decent player for the price, but with drawbacks
If like me you want a simple music player that is neither microscopic nor expensive, this is a decent choice. I give it 4 stars.

But be aware of the following negatives:
Published 21 months ago by Phil

3.0 out of 5 stars Small but usable mp3 player
Published on 29 Jun. 2012 by Islander

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent player for the price, but with drawbacks, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White (Electronics)

But be aware of the following negatives:
1. It doesn't remember what you were playing last time you used it. You have to navigate the menu every time. This is annoying for music and very annoying for audiobooks. It DOES remember all your settings (volume, shuffle, EQ, etc) so why it can't also remember what song you were playing is beyond me.
2. The SD card works well (I have a fully loaded 16GB card) but does NOT integrate with the artist/album/genre listings. Only songs in the internal memory appear in these. Personally I don't care because choosing songs from a folder works better anyway - I keep all my music on the SD card in artist/album folders and don't bother with the internal memory at all (wish I'd bought the cheaper 4GB model in fact). The shuffle function DOES work with SD card content.
3. The key functions and navigation is not very obvious and takes some getting used to.
4. It's slightly slow to respond when you press the keys, and there is a delay of several seconds when you play a song from a SD card with thousands of files on it.
6. The screen is hard to read in sunshine, needs shading with your hand. Sansa Clip is much more visible, but its screen is far too small I think. At least this one has a screen the right size.
7. It is reasonably well constructed but fairly light and plasticy as you would expect at this price. I use it in the car and I think its adequately well made for that (time will tell), but if you're going to carry it around a lot it will need a case.
8. I was pleased to see a dedicated sliding on/off switch. Just like in the good old days. But then found I have to hold down a key for 3 seconds as well, to make it actually come on. This arrangement is strange and not as useful as a 'hold' switch, which is missing.

A few of the good points:
1. Adequate volume. Louder than the Sansa Clip.
2. Decent sound quality and some useful EQ settings.
3. It DOES charge and play at the same time. When you plug in the charger while playing, it switches off and shows a charging screen. But then you can switch it on again and charge and play simultaneously. Bizarre, but it works.
4. Quick start-up even with fully loaded 16GB SD card
5. You can just copy and paste your music folder onto the SD card. No need for special bloatware (e.g. itunes). Then use the SD card anywhere, not only in this player. Very convenient.
6. You can play Tetris while listening to music. Woo-hoo!
7. Good battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars kubik rvo, 19 Mar. 2011
Unlike some other reviews for this small, managable player, in my view its a great little player. I take it out walking the dog and find it easy to locate my music. Also putting things onto the player was so easy and you have easy sections of files which you can locate the exact thing your looking for ie music, film, photos.to me this is a great bit of kit at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars good player, 28 July 2011
got this for my wife and she is so happy with its ease of use she walks around listerning to music & book items i have downloaded for her.
the earphones she says are really comfoertable.
would recomend this to any one thinking of buying a mp3 player.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIGHT & EASY TO USE, 16 Jun. 2011
I HAVE HAD A FEW MP3 PLAYERS,THIS ONE IS THE BEST ,IT'S LIGHT,SLIM AND EASY TO NAVIGATE ALSO EASY TO TRANSFER FILES ,THE CHARGING DOCK IS CLEAN ,THE SCREEN IS CLEAR . I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANY ONE LOOKING TO BUY
ROSS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for Money!, 8 Feb. 2012
Being a bit of a technophobe, I have been really pleased with how this little MP3 player functions and operates. I have found it relatively straight forward to get to grips with and its discreet size is perfect for workouts in the gym and bike rides. I am no expert on sound quality, but it sounds great to me - I tend to use volume 15, but there's plenty more volume there if you want more.

Whilst the player comes with headphones, they are the dangly type, not brilliant for use when exercising. I invested £7 on some Sony headphones which are much better for my purpose and sound great.

I'm so pleased with the MP3 I have decided to buy another for my partner, who is even more of a dunce when it comes to technology than myself - you can take that as a commendation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kubik Evo: Worth it, 4 May 2012
Well worth the money it cost. It functions exactly as it should, so if your looking for something to simply play music then i highly recommend it. The ebook reader on it is almost useless though, considering you can barely get a sentence on it. But overall the sound is great and even though the navigation is wierd at first you soon get used to it. Also, everytime you switch the player off and then on again it always resets back to the main menu, which can be a bit irritating, but something you can live with; it's much better paying £30 for a player rather than £80-£120 when it performs the same function.Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Small but usable mp3 player, 29 Jun. 2012
I wanted an mp3 player to replace my beloved Archos Gmini 2Gb which finally died this year. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because my Blackberry phone has an mp3 player however I don't want to knock or drop that because it's much more expensive to replace than the Kubik Evo. So I was looking for an inexpensive mp3 player with a good amount of storage both built-in and expandable.
The player is small and light, fairly plastic in construction (nothing like the metal case of the Gmini)and rather quirky. The sequence of button presses to move through the menus can be counter-intuitive and annoying to master but, once done, it's fairly easy. If you want to play music using the Directory instead of just the music program, it can take eight or more clicks before you finally reach your goal which is rather a nuisance.
The one thing I don't like about this player is the screen. Even at maximum brightness, I can only read it indoors - once I'm out-of-doors, even on a dull or cloudy day, the screen is not viewable enough to navigate.
So overall, I'm giving it three stars because, even with better navigation and a much better screen, it would probably be four star at most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 2 Jun. 2012
Mr. C. G. Griffith "weecg" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Impressed with this tiny toy and it's musical capabilities. Good sound and perfomance for such a lightweight and small product. Not quite sure why they bother with video on such a teensie tiny screen and the photo function is similarly useless (as are the earphones supplied). But the great storage size and sound quality at this price make up for the unnecessary gimmicks.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic little MP3 player!!, 11 Feb. 2012
This is a brilliant little MP3 player. It is very compact and light weight, it is unbeleiveable how many songs can be stored on it and that is without using an SD card which allows you to store even more. At this moment in time I have got over 800 songs stored and the player is just over half way full!! Personally I would rate this player better than an IPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kubik Evo MP3 Player, 7 Feb. 2012
I Love this MP3 Player it is very easy to use and the sound quality is excellent, it does exactly what it says it does and would recommend this player if you want something small and easy to use.