4.0 out of 5 stars A decent player for the price, but with drawbacks
If like me you want a simple music player that is neither microscopic nor expensive, this is a decent choice. I give it 4 stars.

But be aware of the following negatives:
Published 24 months ago by Phil

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working in less than a month
Published 11 months ago by Matthew Crook

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent player for the price, but with drawbacks, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White (Electronics)

But be aware of the following negatives:
1. It doesn't remember what you were playing last time you used it. You have to navigate the menu every time. This is annoying for music and very annoying for audiobooks. It DOES remember all your settings (volume, shuffle, EQ, etc) so why it can't also remember what song you were playing is beyond me.
2. The SD card works well (I have a fully loaded 16GB card) but does NOT integrate with the artist/album/genre listings. Only songs in the internal memory appear in these. Personally I don't care because choosing songs from a folder works better anyway - I keep all my music on the SD card in artist/album folders and don't bother with the internal memory at all (wish I'd bought the cheaper 4GB model in fact). The shuffle function DOES work with SD card content.
3. The key functions and navigation is not very obvious and takes some getting used to.
4. It's slightly slow to respond when you press the keys, and there is a delay of several seconds when you play a song from a SD card with thousands of files on it.
6. The screen is hard to read in sunshine, needs shading with your hand. Sansa Clip is much more visible, but its screen is far too small I think. At least this one has a screen the right size.
7. It is reasonably well constructed but fairly light and plasticy as you would expect at this price. I use it in the car and I think its adequately well made for that (time will tell), but if you're going to carry it around a lot it will need a case.
8. I was pleased to see a dedicated sliding on/off switch. Just like in the good old days. But then found I have to hold down a key for 3 seconds as well, to make it actually come on. This arrangement is strange and not as useful as a 'hold' switch, which is missing.

A few of the good points:
1. Adequate volume. Louder than the Sansa Clip.
2. Decent sound quality and some useful EQ settings.
3. It DOES charge and play at the same time. When you plug in the charger while playing, it switches off and shows a charging screen. But then you can switch it on again and charge and play simultaneously. Bizarre, but it works.
4. Quick start-up even with fully loaded 16GB SD card
5. You can just copy and paste your music folder onto the SD card. No need for special bloatware (e.g. itunes). Then use the SD card anywhere, not only in this player. Very convenient.
6. You can play Tetris while listening to music. Woo-hoo!
7. Good battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars kubik rvo, 19 Mar. 2011
Unlike some other reviews for this small, managable player, in my view its a great little player. I take it out walking the dog and find it easy to locate my music. Also putting things onto the player was so easy and you have easy sections of files which you can locate the exact thing your looking for ie music, film, photos.to me this is a great bit of kit at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars good player, 28 July 2011
got this for my wife and she is so happy with its ease of use she walks around listerning to music & book items i have downloaded for her.
the earphones she says are really comfoertable.
would recomend this to any one thinking of buying a mp3 player.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIGHT & EASY TO USE, 16 Jun. 2011
I HAVE HAD A FEW MP3 PLAYERS,THIS ONE IS THE BEST ,IT'S LIGHT,SLIM AND EASY TO NAVIGATE ALSO EASY TO TRANSFER FILES ,THE CHARGING DOCK IS CLEAN ,THE SCREEN IS CLEAR . I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANY ONE LOOKING TO BUY
ROSS

4.0 out of 5 stars Kubik Evo: Worth it, 4 May 2012
Well worth the money it cost. It functions exactly as it should, so if your looking for something to simply play music then i highly recommend it. The ebook reader on it is almost useless though, considering you can barely get a sentence on it. But overall the sound is great and even though the navigation is wierd at first you soon get used to it. Also, everytime you switch the player off and then on again it always resets back to the main menu, which can be a bit irritating, but something you can live with; it's much better paying £30 for a player rather than £80-£120 when it performs the same function.Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 2 Jun. 2012
Mr. C. G. Griffith "weecg" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Impressed with this tiny toy and it's musical capabilities. Good sound and perfomance for such a lightweight and small product. Not quite sure why they bother with video on such a teensie tiny screen and the photo function is similarly useless (as are the earphones supplied). But the great storage size and sound quality at this price make up for the unnecessary gimmicks.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic little MP3 player!!, 11 Feb. 2012
This is a brilliant little MP3 player. It is very compact and light weight, it is unbeleiveable how many songs can be stored on it and that is without using an SD card which allows you to store even more. At this moment in time I have got over 800 songs stored and the player is just over half way full!! Personally I would rate this player better than an IPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kubik Evo MP3 Player, 7 Feb. 2012
I Love this MP3 Player it is very easy to use and the sound quality is excellent, it does exactly what it says it does and would recommend this player if you want something small and easy to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working in less than a month, 13 July 2014
If you want an MP3 player that looks nice (I mean, I bought this for my Mum as she needed something to listen to music) then by all means go ahead, but if you want an MP3 player that gives up after a few weeks, then buy it still! This is a terrible, terrible, terrible piece of hardware and I have more complaints about it than.... well... actually I have nothing good to say.

1. Whenever I connected it to my laptop to put songs my Mum wanted on, I would do so. Upon disconnecting the cable, the screen wouldn't change (it appears with a blue USB logo). That logo wouldn't leave, so I had to turn it off and on again and then it ceased to work at ALL.

2. When it was working, I would put an album on and, upon turning it on to see the new music, the albums wouldn't appear. Not even singles would appear. The music was all in MP3 format too.

3. I accidentally put on an album of MP4 files (Paloma Faith's new album) and the Kubik Evo recognised those just fine. When we went to play them, the player FROZE. So a lot of turning off and on again! Absolute joke.

4. This is more of a "niggle" rather than a complaint, but the music sounded very tinny and the headphones were rubbish. Luckily my Mum had some already.

All in all, for the VERY BRIEF time this worked, my Mum thoroughly enjoyed it. Funny though, as the "30-day return policy" ceased only a day or two before the Kubik Evo stopped working. I'm not saying it was planned that way, but just absolutely typical. If I could have received my money back, I would have without hesitation.

DO NOT BUY THIS. It obviously has a number of flaws and internal issues in which the manufacturer itself has not proceeded to act on. I am sick of buying products only for them to break on me. The Kubik website doesn't even have any support or info on this specific model!

JOKE. Either sort yourselves out, or fail as a company. I hope it's the latter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Value For Money, 10 Dec. 2013
It's a good player for the price , ideal for holidays and days out etc . The battery lasts a long time, and the volume is good with a crisp clear sound and easy to use controls . Loading mp3 files is simple using drop and drag and if you use a tag editor such as MP3 tag this will overcome any problems with track listing by both album and artist ensuring the tag is correctly displayed when the track is playing . Mp3 tag is free and you can down load it from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ .Overall it is very good value for money and I would recommend this product .