5.0 out of 5 stars Beatles Remastered....but should they have been Remixed?
I've had the Beatles Stereo Box set for nearly a week now, and have listened to all the albums a number of times through and feel compelled to post my feedback to help anyone unsure about taking the 169.99 financial 'plunge'....

Published on 15 Sep 2009 by Mr. F. J. Coop

1.0 out of 5 stars If it Ain't Broke Don't Fix It!
B0041KVW2K The Beatles In Stereo Vinyl Box [Boxed Set] [VINYL]]]

If Ain't Broke Don't Fix It ...

Published 14 months ago by C. L. Winterman

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatles Remastered....but should they have been Remixed?, 15 Sep 2009
Mr. F. J. Coop (Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

In fairness, I have to admit to being a dedicated Beatles fan (for the past 40 years) - so I'm not going to give an unbiased view on the music collected together here in one place...it's a true treasure trove.

However, I do back up the point a number of other reviewers have put forward that, whisper it, some of these remasters don't actually sound that good - they're better than the 1987 releases, without a shadow of a doubt - but let's face it, it would be difficult for them not to sound better after 22 years of CD development!

Now don't misunderstand me, several albums in this Box Set sound substantially better compared to the late 1980's digital releases:

ABBEY ROAD is now a very satisfying, detailed and dynamic listen - this is especially apparent when you hear the musical 'duel' of guitars and drums that make up the album closer 'The End' - in truth, every track on this remaster is far better than the muddy mix on the 1987 CD.

THE BEATLES (White Album) now delivers a fine stereo image with real 'studio depth' it relays intricate detail to vocals whilst projecting plenty of power to the lead guitars and well defined low end grunt to the bass guitar - all in all this new release beats the old 1987 2CD set quite easily.

SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND is now a more balanced stereo experience, especially satisfying on Headphones - all the instruments and vocals now sound believable and crisp, with Paul's melodic Bass playing really jumping forward - it makes the 1987 CD version redundant.

RUBBER SOUL and REVOLVER have a number of highlights - as does the PAST MASTERS set.....but the earlier albums, from PLEASE PLEASE ME to HELP! and the final LET IT BE disc are (at times) not really in the same sonic ball-park.

Now, how could I possibly be so critical of the sound on this Box Set? - Well, I've no doubts that the Abbey Road team have done their best - but they have simply squeezed the maximum they can out of 40 to 47 year old Album Master Tapes.

In comparison, over the past 5 years or so we have been treated to the remastered back catalogue of a growing number of equally prominant Artists such as The Doors (on DMC), Elvis Presley (on FTD) and The Rolling Stones (on ABKO) who, after initial 'slap-dash' releases in the 1980's and 1990's have all finally done justice to their heritage by making every effort to trawl tape vaults and sound archives to find, wherever possible, the First Generation Session Multi-tracks to Remix fresh Album Masters - anyone owning any number of these CD's will bear witness to the fact that as a consequence of all this extra effort, they sound truly 'STUNNING' - sounding like they were recorded yesterday....

In fact this technique isn't anything new to the Beatles' Technical Team either, the very same work was done on the 'Yellow Submarine - Songtrack' Album as well as the 'Let it Be - Naked' release - which is why they both sound superior to their respective 2009 remasters.

As such, I feel an opportunity has been lost to make this release a truly definitive one, especially when the Technical Lead for the Remaster Project at Abbey Road (Allan Rouse) has been quoted as saying (in the latest October 2009 issue of The Record Collector Magazine) that the Remastering process for all the Albums only took around 3 months - not the 4 years that is so often quoted in many reviews...it seems there was plenty of time to provide Remixed Album Masters from the Original 2, 4 and 8 track Session Multi-tracks....but this fantastic opportunity wasn't taken - perhaps it was stopped by the surviving members of the Group - but it's a real shame it didn't happen.....

So, is it worth buying this Stereo Box Set? Well, yes it is.....each CD album is held within its own glossy digipack which includes informative liner notes in a booklet stored within...the outer box (with its outer slip-case and magnetic securing clasp) has been beautifully designed and manufactured - as a result, the whole package gives the owner plenty of user appeal...

Is this the best The Beatles' Albums have sounded on CD? Well, at the moment yes.....but if they'd been Remixed from the Original Session Multi-tracks they would have sounded even better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just in case..., 21 Nov 2012
Jonathan Blore (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beatles In Stereo Vinyl Box [Boxed Set] [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'm writing this just in case anybody else has a similar problem.

After discovering a fault with one track (quite deeply ingrained scratches, possibly non-fill) - Get back on Side 4 of Past Masters - I contacted Amazon about the possibility of replacing/exchanging just the Past Masters album.
The were very helpful and, once I had pointed out that Past Masters is also sold separately to the box set, agreed to replace it.
They asked me to purchase a copy of Past Masters from them; they then altered the total cost of the order to 0.00. They did not ask me to return the faulty copy.

I was reluctant to exchange the complete box as I have had no other issue with any of the records.

So many thanks to Amazon for their exemplary customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night and Day, 9 Dec 2012
I live in the U.S. and got the noisy pressings/distortion/no fill U.S. set pressed by Rainbo. I sent it back to Amazon for a refund and instead of taking the chance of getting another bad one based on a lot of people having similar complaints, I ordered the E.U. set.

To be honest, I was a bit apprehensive while waiting for this to come based on some folks saying their E.U. sets had warped records. I am very lucky and got flat, quiet, great sounding records. I never had original Parlophone, Blue Box, Japanese Red Box etc. versions, so I have no basis of comparison. To my ears, these sound great; certainly better than those U.S. Capitol versions I had in the 60s. Much better, in fact.

As far as the packaging goes, the outside Amazon box looked like the dog ate it. The inner cardboard box was perfect, as was the actual box set, including the slipcase.

The book is exquisite, there are some great pictures I've never seen before, and each album has its own essay. There is also an article about the mastering process.

The lp jackets are nicely done, not exact replicas of the originals, but nice sturdy laminated sleeves.

I feel for people on both sides of the Atlantic (and elsewhere) who got bad pressings. Some people have returned either sets or individual albums 2 or 3 times! I hope the folks at EMI are paying attention and will authorize a second batch of pressings, especially in the U.S.

Again, I consider myself extremely fortunate to get a good set. I'm dismayed by some reviewers especially on U.S. Amazon who think that because they got a good set the first time that complaints about quality are unwarranted. I experienced the good and the bad and complaints about the bad are not exaggerated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stereo Box Set Review, 9 Sep 2009
R. Brown (England) - See all my reviews
I have received my Beatles stereo box set today with eager anticipation of hearing The Beatles in the best quality today's technology can give us. I have to say that although I have heard these albums many times before the crisp, clear and almost new freshness to the records is beyond my expectation. I am very pleased to say the least. I don't have over the top expensive music equipment or the need to break each recorded layer of a song down to the finest detail, I just want to sit back and listen to one of the world's finest band in superb clarity....this box set does this!! Great packaging, great pictures, documentaries and information on each album...Fantastic. This is the best Beatles collection to date in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Beautiful, 18 Nov 2012
N. Watts (UK) - See all my reviews
Let's face it, anyone reading this product will be more than familiar with the music, and it goes without saying The Beatles music is up there with the best, so I won't go into any detail on that side. I will instead just concentrate on the package of the box itself and the sound quality of the remastering.

The box itself is sturdy and glossy with an outer box which slips over the thicker inside box. Inside, each LP is packaged as per the original UK release [E.G. 'Beatles For Sale' comes in a gatefold sleeve, 'Sgt Pepper's' has the cut out's and 'The Beatles' has the fold-out poster/photos]. 'Magical Mystery Tour' of course, was originally a US only compilation of the UK double EP and 1967 singles, and is included as the album has retrospectively slotted in between 'Pepper' and 'The White Album'. The box set includes the booklet from that issue, which is similar anyway to the booklet that came with the original UK EP.

The sound on the albums is fantastic and, for me, even tops the 2009 CD's for warmth, depth and consistency. The mastering engineer explains the process invloved and it's clear a lot of love and care went into this over the past few years.

The hard back book (which fits snugly in the box] is simply magnificant. Each page is satin with photos in gloss, telling The Beatles story, with a chapter dedicated to the making of each album. If you were to buy the book seperately, it would easily retail for 60.

Although the albums can be bought individually in this newly mastered form [for 20 single/ 35 double per album], you would actually end up paying more by doing this. Essentially, by buying the box set, you end up getting the book for free!

Although 300 is a lot of money, especially given most people already own these albums from previous issues, I would not hestiate to recommend it as the box set is such a lovely package, and I think good value for money to.

1.0 out of 5 stars If it Ain't Broke Don't Fix It!, 5 July 2013
B0041KVW2K The Beatles In Stereo Vinyl Box [Boxed Set] [VINYL]]]

If Ain't Broke Don't Fix It ...

Well the chaps at Abbey Road must have a different set of ears to mine. When I bought a LP when I started Work in 1971 I would clean and then record the LP onto reel to reel. Read somewhere that even with the best equipment in the world the friction of stylus to grove walls would reduce quality after less than 50 plays.

So my reel to reel tapes and later cassettes would ensure the precious vinyl.

Have just compared the first 4 new improved 180gm with a straight comparison with the originals. Revox b970 Turntable with ADC cartridge so not bad equipment and the results;-

Appalling... New recordings are a couple of dB's lower output, have had the rough edges stripped off along with the high end on cymbals, the ambiance and any life the originals had.

Look you engineers and producers that think you can alter perfection to your own preferences please leave well alone. The way these recordings were recorded, produced and manufactured is what made them sound so fresh and original. I don't want or need a cleaned up 21st century version. I just want the originals accurately copied onto the highest definition format that is available. And that as you all well know is analogue magnetic recording tape.

My 7.5" per second stereo reel to reel tape of Abbey Road that I got from the USA, is a joy to behold. Maybe you should have tracked down these versions copied from the original master tapes and just re-pressed them.

All of my original LP's are flatter, have higher output and less background noise. So much for 180gm audiophile pressings.

The book is nice but not worth 350. Find somebody old who bought his records before the 80's rush to digital and has cared for his collection as I have. These are the original versions and if you get a good pressing you will be in heaven.

If ain't broke .....

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 24 July 2013
C Merritt - See all my reviews
Obviously the first question was stereo or mono? But I just went for the stereo as I was not overly concerned between the 2, but the stereo set is amazing, I have always loved the beatles but was maybe a beatles fan who knew 'all the hits' and had sang them for years in a band, but had to get this box once i saw it, it has allowed me to completely rediscover the beatles and find out just how absolutely brilliant they were and just how many barriers they were breaking down in the 60's,

I was overwhelmed at how many genres and how many songs they absolutely nailed within such a short time span, their career may have seemed brief at around 8 years but what they achieved in that time was incredible, from please please me through to let it be it was an amazing journey of discovery into probably the best band there has ever been,

The writing and music changed at a wonderful pace as the albums progressed and there are still just so many songs that are so very current to today's music and continue to make me wonder of artists today have ever bother to take examples from bands like the beatles when it comes to keeping their music fresh and interesting,

With 4 guys like John, paul, George and ringo there was very little chance of them not succeeding but to achieve the levels they did and write that many good songs was just ridiculous, my favourite albums are a hard days night, rubber soul and abbey road, but there are an amazing amount of brilliant songs on every album with very few filler tracks,

This is a wonderful boxset to own and well worth the money, it's quality is brilliant, the packaging is great and the overall feel is great, you would not regret buying this set and delving into an amazing musical discovery or simply reliving what was one of the greatest times for British music when 4 lads from liverpool ruled the world, I've gone from a yeah course I love the beatles man, to a don't even get me started on the beatles, have you heard......and have you heard....?

To top of my review after I got this I bought the anthology DVD so I could get to know the characters within the band and just loved everything about it so I'd recommend that also to really complete a beatles set with sound and vision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please play them - update, 12 Nov 2012
JCR (Scotland) - See all my reviews
My set arrived today, the long wait for these reissues is over. For a moment I thought - 'do I play them or keep them as an investment?' - It took all of 30 seconds to decide to slit open the protective sleeve on Sgt Pepper and be transported by to 1967. Yes I've got the original, and it's in pretty good condition - but it's been played a lot and particularly the end of each side is showing signs of wear. And I've got the CD - the one issued in 1987 and the recent re-mastered copy, but this beats them all for sound quality. If the rest of the albums are this good, they're worth every penny. If they're not, I'll post an update.

The quality of the vinyl seems good too, with very quite surfaces. As reported by another reviewer, the packing is superb. I hate unnecessary packing, but with an investment like this, you want the packing to protect the box and its contents. It does that very well.

Clearly this box set won't be for everyone, but if you're thinking about buying it - but can't make up your mind, then go for it! Call it an investment if you must - but please play them - it's what the boys from Liverpool would want you to do!

Update 15 November 2012

Have listened to several other LPs now - all pretty good and very quiet surfaces, BUT, like other reviewers, some of the albums are warped. I have a turntable clamp that flattens them so it's not too much of an issue for me, but will be for others. The shrink wrapping on individual discs seems very tight and is strong, so I wonder if that's the problem. I recommend getting the LPs out of their shrink wrapping as soon as you can and then leave the whole box on its side (with the book at the top)and see if that cures the problem. If not, you'll need to decide whether it's worth sending discs back for exchange in the hope that the replacements are better. What a shame that something so long-awaited isn't quite as good as it should be.

Very reluctantly, I'm reducing the star rating by one for poor quality control. The music deserves the best and it's not quite there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost worth it just for the book, 12 Nov 2012
300 sovs may seem a lot for 14 albums we've all already got, but box sets are as much about presentation, ceremony and collectability as anything else, and on that front this package is good value. Although the albums do sound great, if Abbey Road is anything to go by (playing now), and on vinyl have "that" sound, I was keen to see how they put this set together and I find I'm delighted. Little details keep cropping up to make me smile - all the discs are in antistatic lined paper covers, but any special original covers are replicated, like the red and white wavy one in Pepper and the picture sleeve in Yellow sub. The posters, photos and cardboard cut outs all seem to be in place for Pepper and the White album, and the quality of the outer sleeves is good. Original flipback sleeves are not replicated, but the Pepper spine is the wide flat one. The book, at a glance, seems to be amazing quality, bound and printed beautifully - prodably instantly worth a ton on ebay (tsk tsk). The big box is equally well made and presented, with a glossy outer sleeve wrapped around the box. Sadly its a tad too tall to sit among my lps as it won't slide under the shelf above, but who cares. The main box is not numbered - boo! Congrats to amazon and the manufacturers for packaging in three consecutive layers of boxing, the outer of which was a bit bashed up when it got to me, but without causing damage. All in all worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be too put off...., 17 Nov 2012
Edinburgh "KPM" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is largely for those people undecided about this set, and are worrying about all the negative press it's getting, both here and across the pond. My reading is that the US pressings are more problematic than those pressed in the EU, so it would be wise to ignore those concerns over pressing quality.

As to the EU pressings inside this box, all I can say is that mine are perfect so far, and I've listened to 26 of the 32 sides.

I don't have any earlier pressings so can't compare ( and can't go on and on about how and why these are inferior to the originals, or those made in Germany in 1973, or those that had a very limited release in
Peru in the month of June 27 years ago, etc). All I know is that to my ears, and on my very competent hi-fi rig, they sound great. How great? I'd say they are a bit more 'open' in their stereo imaging, and possess more in terms of texture than the respective cd editions.

The book? That's more than I expected, and I wouldn't flinch if it were on sale in Waterstones for 40, it really is that nice.

The box these come in is sturdy, and the packaging that EMI put together to ensure these reach you intact is more in keeping with some piece of electronic equipment than just records, so top marks on that score as well.

In summary, a very good effort by all involved; EMI for bothering to put these out on lp, Amazon for getting it to me on the due date as agreed and for minimal cost, and of course, The Beatles for somehow managing to make the most amazing run of lps in just 7 years.