Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 March 2013
Ghost are what you would expect if Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple had a baby with overtly satanic lyrics. Intrigued? I know I was after seeing the Metal Hammer cover story on these guys. There's no way that a band should be able to be this melodic, concise and immediate. Occult rock shouldn't really be this easy to listen to. Yet it is. These Swedes have really got their stuff nailed down to the max. I just saw them at Soundwave festival in Australia. I was a fan after hearing the C.D. and after seeing the excellent show I'm now telling everyone I think might be remotely into them to go out and get this album quick smart. It's no where near as heavy as their image would have you think, and is soo well constructed. If Satan has tunes this good we all need to go to hell. The fact that Lee Dorian of Napalm Death and Cathedral fame should fall over himself to sign them to his label should say a lot to those in the know. These guys have a major fan in James Hetfield of Metallica fame. Are you really going to tell him he's wrong? I don't think so. Revel in the glory of Satan with Ghost. There are infinately worse things you can do.
on 15 July 2012
I saw Ghost performing a song live on Skuzz TV channel.
The entertaining sight of faceless ghoulish Monks playing the instruments and the singer in full cardinal robes with a skull mask made me keep watching...I thought the music was fantastic so I bought the MP3 download from Amazon.

Its not easy to say who Ghost remind me of, there is a bit of Sabbath in some of the riffs, but some of the choruses are pure pop, very hooky. Its really a seventies flavoured mix of pop/rock/doom metal.

The songwriting is fantastic, there is real craft in the melodies and dynamics.

The band are obviously talented and tasteful musicians, and the vocals are just superb, very clean and melodic.

The sound of the album is quite retro, which is a good thing.
The guitar tones are fantastic, and the production has good seperation between the vocals and all the instruments, a very earthy natural recording.

highly recommended, the only downside is getting these songs out of your head once you have heard them.
on 19 November 2010
Purchased this on a whim based purely on the retro cover art and really chuffed I did. They sound like an amalgam of early doom (such as pentagram and black sabbath) and melodic 70's heavy rock. There is tasteful use of organs which adds an atmospheric quality to the album. Subject matter for the lyrical content is so unrelentingly and overtly satanic to an almost comical degree it could grow tiresome for the casual listener but fans of bands such as electric wizard and their ilk will appreciate it. Having said that the lyrics are more of a joyous celebration of satan than a shock factor approach favoured by some black and death metal bands. Stand out tracks for me are con clavi con dio (with a cracking intro bass driven riff that geezer butler would be proud of) and death knell but there isn't a single bad song on the album. They have keen sense of melodicism and a dare I say a pop sensibility uncommon with modern doom rock bands. If you like the sound of a band that combines the best parts of wishbone ash and doom don't hesitate in buying this.
on 14 December 2011
Bought as the band were one of the support acts of the "defenders of the faith 3" tour and if i'm honest - words fail me when it comes to explaining how good this band is and how amazing Opus Eponymous is.
Definitely worth checking out if you like old school prog. And if you get chance to go see the band live... DO!!
on 7 November 2015
The review itself is not about the album itself, Ghost are a fantastic band and this is a brilliant album. So far all the albums I have from Ghost have been superb and I cannot wait to see them again in Nottingham in a few weeks time. Having the music ripped to my music library makes it even better.

However..

The vinyl quality is truly awful and I fear that they would lose fans due to the qaulity of the vinyl. The tone and volume seem to be inconsistent throughout all the tracks. You don't seem to get the true tones from the album. I'm running my music through a decent set up and none of my other albums suffer this sound problem. I love amazon.....but this is the third time I have had problems with the quality of vinyl from the company. I have been told that picture discs can have inferior sound to that of normal vinyl..but this goes beyond that.

Ghost, your chuffing brilliant but please kick the company up the backside and tell the to sort the qaulity out of your record discs.
on 9 September 2011
The Swedish band Ghost bring about their first outing with the mighty Opus Eponymous. I am simply in love with this record. It combines so many great factors of retro heavy metal with a potent sprinkling of a more modern stoner band. Each track is something very special indeed right from the intro 'Deus Culpa' to the final track 'Genesis'. In essence, Ghost are devil worshippers. Supposedly using the art of music to get their dark message across. Now, some people would be instantly put off my such a band, but please, pay no attention to the heavily gruesome stigma attached to this record, put aside the rather foreboding cover art and just listen. Now, Ghost seem to have combined some brilliant factors from some very influential bands over the past 40 years. I've heard a lot of people say how gimmick-y these guys are, the retro sound is way too gimmick-y etc. While I think this retro sound could be construed as a gimmick, I purely think that this is how these guys NEED to sound. If they had any other sound, this record wouldn't be such a masterpiece. Definitely one of the best album releases in the last decade. Watch out for these guys, in the NEXT decade they will dominate. Buy it, enjoy it, worship it.
on 30 November 2012
Okay I bought this because of the song "Ritual" which I think is the highlight of the album. I was never a fan of Mercyful Fate or King Diamond and I know they have been compared to them. Its a good album. Some catchy songs. Lots of melody. I think its worth a gamble. It doesn't sound like anything else in my record collection anyway. Looking forward to seeing them live on the Jagermeister Tour in March 2013.
on 6 May 2013
Love this entire album, one of the few albums I have bought that doesn't have a bad track on it (in my opinion anyway). The vocals are fantastic. The only downside is that it doesn't have Here Comes The Sun on it. Pre ordered Infestissumam on the strength of this.
on 5 January 2011
I am listening to this right this moment. As I type, final track "Genesis" is playing out. This is the first time I have listened to this album, and I already know I love it! I generally give albums a few spins before judging them, but occassionally something just smacks you in the face as being awesome right off the bat, this was one of those albums.

So then, how does it sound? Well, it's a bit rocky, a touch metally and a touch doomy. Definately Sabbath influence, I reckon some deep purple in there too. And it sounds like that really; it's got guitar, bass, drums, vocals and a hammond organ (Oh yea, 70s throwback at it's finest). So clearly, this band likes retro then. And why not? They do it superbly. I can't put my finger on what it is they do with this fairly average selection of instruments to capture such a cool and groovy sound, but there is certainly something special going on here.

Musicianship is certainly accomplished, some nice guitar solos (short, not long boring expeditions) and there are some excellent riffs.

Vocals? Well vocally, the singer here is very good. His voice is not the best I have ever heard, but it's nice and melodic and it certainly fits the tone of the album here very well indeed. I would say some of the vocal harmonies are quite cheesy but it doesn't detract from the album. If anything it just adds to the retro 70s vibe they are going for.

As for the lyrics I can't claim to be that familiar with them having only just heard the album, but they mostly seems to be quite daft satanic/hammer horror movie type affairs. Not really my personal bag, but again it fits the Black Sabbath sort of vibe.

Recommended? Highly, to any rock or metal fan. Particularly anyone who likes a bit of stoner or doom, this should suit you a treat. I predict big things for this band off the back of this release.

Dom x
on 16 July 2013
Love this cd. Have already bought their second album, after jus one da of listening to this constantly. Definitel my new favourite band