on 9 February 2011
We don't have a TV, so spend hours each day listening to the radio (mostly R3 and R4) and have several small battery-powered radio sets dotted around the house where they get picked up and moved from room to room with us. We're forever charging their batteries so this model was appealing. When it arrived we immediately liked the light weight, the compact size, box-like shape and the rubberised feel. The reception is pretty good even with the aerial down, and the sound quality is ok - a little hollow sounding but quite good enough for casual listening to speech or music and better than some larger radios. The winding handle seems sturdy enough but the solar charging works so well we've hardly had to use it, even for evening listening. We're well pleased with this radio and have bought others as presents for family. I now carry one with me wherever I go... the house, the garden, chuck it in my bag when I go out... highly recommended.
on 24 October 2010
I am already delighted with this. It arrived promptly and works really well. I had got fed up with recharging batteries to use in our little bathroom radio and it was also become unreliable with old age; so this seemed the perfect answer. The sound quality is more than good enough to listen to speech but obviously not up to concert standard for music. We live in quite a remote area so the signal strength is not great and our walls are old and very solid so sometimes we have problem getting good reception; but these little machine does really well. Have just ordered to more for family members.
on 14 August 2012
Must say that when I ordered this item I was concerned that it was going to be a waste of money. Having used this several times now in the sun, wind and rain I can honestly say that it is a terrific piece of kit. I have found that you do need really strong sunlight in order for it to work by solar power alone, but just give the handle 100 turns and it seems to run for more than an hour. 100 may seem like a big number but in truth its about 2 minutes! Can get all my local radio stations and most BBC stations. I use it solely when I am fishing and so far it has stood up to being kicked around in my bag, rained on, covered in fish slime and ground bait. I would say it is probably the most useful piece of kit in my fishing bag.

I cannot think of any real downsides although a word of warning! Be gentle when tuning in or adjusting the volume, if like me you can be a bit heavy handed, you have missed the station before you know it and deafend yourself with static in the process.

On the whole I think this is tidy for the price.

I have had this fantastic little radio for about 18 months now and felt I had to update this review. The radio is still going strong, it is still being kicked around in my fishing bag, it has been stored over winter with my gear in a garage yet still works brilliantly, no sign of the handle breaking off, rust, rot, damp, I would really recommend this product and it is still the most useful piece of kit in my fishing bag
on 13 October 2011
Brilliant device! I bought this for my coming trip to South Sudan for the locals. I've tested it out in the UK and I was able to tune into the radio and the sound quality is good for it's size. I can also plug my mp3 into it and use it as a speaker. I'm so impressed I'm going to invest in one for my own personal use. It's small size & waterproof design make it perfect for travellers &/or gardeners.

Useful technical information on the box not mentioned on the web are below:
FM frequency range: 87-108 MHz
Max current of solar energy: >20 mA
Full solar charge takes: 35-40 hours
H: 82mm; W: 74mm; D: 50mm
on 15 September 2010
Bought this to use primarily as a portable speaker for my ipod...and its not bad for that. The sound is very good quality for such a little radio and the solar panel works really well when placed in the sun. Its also shower proof - handy for in the garden. It seems to struggle to get reception for some stations in certain locations in the house.

If its not sunny (and this is the uk..) then you need to charge it up via a USB cable plugged into your computer. This gives you a few hours sound which is not bad. Unfortunately the handle is of little or no use - several minutes winding just gives a few seconds of sound. If you wind it too vigorously the handle will snap off.

It was only £14.95 when i bought it - and i use it a lot - so overall am fairly pleased with it.
on 13 November 2010
I ordered this radio to use in my greenhouse as I liked the idea of not having to plug anything in or use batteries and also thought the splashproof qualities would be a good idea. When I unpacked it I was at first surprised by just how small it was and worried that the sound might be 'tinny'. However I was delighted to switch it on and find that it worked immediately straight out of the box and the sound was excellent. I think this radio is an absolute bargain at the price.
on 17 October 2011
In its favour, it looks like a radio. If I wanted an object that did not fulfil its function as a radio, I'd gone to a charity shop and walked away with a better purchase. To be fair, it can pick up 2 or 3 local radio stations -provided I'm outside and gripping the aerial so that I become part of the receiver -perhaps that's what they meant by portable. Inside it still can pick up these stations though not very well or reliably & still needs its aerial to be held of course. Never found out what 'WB' should provide -unless it is meant to be interference -a strange option so I can't think its the right conclusion. Instructions did not put me right, but then who needs instructions for a wind up radio. (there weren't any so its ok) The wind up and solar bits work. Now the hassle of sending it back. I guess it could have one star just for succeeding in wasting my time & ripping me off and because one is mandatory.
on 8 February 2011
This is an excellent take anywhere radio with a decent sound at sensible volumes. Don't expect hi fi quality in such a small package. I would say the sound was better than most small pocket radios.

The USB port is for charging only. The 3.5mm socket is for connection to your mp3 player to allow the radio to be used as a speaker.

When I connected my iPod with the lead supplied, the radio only seemed to play one of the stereo channels, which may make your fave raves sound a bit strange!

Also, if you use the headphone output of your mp3 player, take care not to have the volume (of your mp3 player as opposed to the radio,) set too high as it will probably overload the radio speaker and sound harsh. I don't expect to use it for that purpose anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.

The winding handle is reasonably solid but I feel the plastic for that and the switches could have been a better grade for the money. The aerial projects straight from the box and should last longer than a folder.

If you can live without the USB port, ther are other companies importing the same design for a few squid less.

All in all, quite a sturdy piece of kit which, unlike my clapped out old sony pocket radio, sits on a shelf without falling over!
on 13 December 2011
Ordered from Gadgets UK, who also operate as S-Gizmos (by Amazon).
Delivered item was older version without upgrades, USB or aux input as pictured & described by other reviews.
I'm sure this is a great unit, but I've been duped & this one is going straight back.
on 6 October 2010
Brilliant little box with a lot of power.
I only received it today, charged it a little and it's been doing it's thing ever since.
Amazing sound, for what it is. It's so small you could put it anywhere, but not too small.
I bought this one for the bathroom and I'm thinking of buying another one for the kitchen now.
I might even buy a few for Christmas presents it's so reasonibly priced!