5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite things...
Unlike some musical soundtracks, this really does justice to the film, the songs are fantastic and timeless, my personal favourites being 'I have confidence' and 'Do-Re-Mi' which is especially good as it keeps to exactly how it is in the film, starting with the scene on the hills, and finishing with the 'steps' finale. Julie Andrews is of course amazing and shows her...
Published on 29 Feb 2004 by jennyanne2485

3.0 out of 5 stars A blatant repackaging rather than a genuine upgrade
This reissue of the Sound of Music soundtrack coincides with the 40th anniversary of the release of the film. Of course, the performances and music have been praised sundry times, so there's no need to cover them here. However, this release is nothing more than a crude and blatant repackaging of the RCA recording, rather than a genuine and benevolent upgrade on such a...
Published on 2 Jan 2005 by Yi-Peng

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest movie musical of all time!, 17 Nov 2010
What a gorgeous cover to this best of all possible movie musicals! Sound is superb, the interviews included are wonderful and very special. As someone who must own everything "Sound of Music" I especially wanted this version due to its packaging!

5.0 out of 5 stars The sound of music, 9 Jun 2010
Mary Poppins (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This cd is simply wonderful. I got this for the little girl I nanny for. She adores it and is just 3.Her brother who is soon to be 6 wants his own copy for his birthday ! Young and old will adore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new!, 14 Jan 2005
By A Customer
Unfortunately, this album is disappointing. I hoped and looked forward to the "extras" only to be completely let down.
Track 19, the "extended" version of "16 going on seventeen" is shorter than the original, and is not sung by Liesl and Maria as stated on the cover, it's just the same as track 6, but track 6 is longer!
Very disappointing, shame on you Sony/BMG!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Sound of Music, 25 Aug 2004
C. Crabtree "ceci x" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound of Music (Audio CD)
As said in other reviews, this cd needs no praise. It contains all the songs from the musical which are great to listen to if you just want to sing your heart out.

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE SOUND!!, 2 April 2008
C. Bellegarrigue (El Salvador) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound of Music (Audio CD)
I love this cd; It remembers me my childhood and my teenager years!! I saw the movie at the cinema when I was 12 years old and I purchased it on vinyl; now, when I found it on the cd format, I bought it inmediately!! The songs are beautiful and in excellent condition, without scratch and in a very good restoration!! buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present, 13 Oct 2013
Bought this CD as a present for my Gran. She absolutely loves it and bought it at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars On the right Entr'acte, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Sound Of Music OST - 45th Anniversary Edition (Audio CD)
I bought the 35th Anniversary import of this score ten years ago, although it contained most of the incidental music from the film, together with all the songs, it didn't include the Entr'acte which played during the film's Intermission. As Intermission music goes it's not up there with other Entr'actes' like "The Alamo", "Ben Hur" or "How the West Was Won"; but it did set the audiences' feet tapping in anticipation of part two.

This new recording features-along with the familiar songs of course-more incidental music which was never available back in 1965. This album is fine as a stand alone souvenir of a timeless classic. It's been a long wait.

Thank's for that Entr'acte.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely lovely lovely, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Sound of Music (Audio CD)
i got this for my husband and my children ended up listening to it - again and again and again....
it is a lovely cd.....
it is one of those you never get tired of!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Another missed opportunity, 22 May 2005
Terry Foster (UK) - See all my reviews
No - I haven't bought the 40th Anniversary edition of The Sound of Music...but I did buy the 35th Anniversary whose track listing seems to be very similar. Then, as now, BMG seems to have entirely missed the point (although it was good - at last - to have the extended "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" and other extended tracks).
Why on earth can't BMG manage to integrate these extended versions into the main body of the soundtrack recording? Others have done it: look at the excellent work that Rhino have done with their MGM back-catalogue and (as pointed out by other reveiwers) the earlier R&H soundtracks from Angel.
Fans of the "Holywood" Musical Comedy want something that is a true momento of the movie experience and now that CDs have lifted the restrictions on playing times, that is what we expect (...and, indeed are being given by other companies). ...and that should include play-in, entr'acte and exit music.
So, if I were allowed to award stars for the performances on this CD it would be 5*. But no stars for BMG who have missed another opportunity and make me suspicious of cynical and thoughtless marketing. The good news is that they appear to be pursuing a policy of issuing "Collectors' Editions" every five years and so maybe they will do the decent thing next time.
And, while I'm in the mood, the "South Pacific" soundtrack is the only one of the "Big 5" R&H that has had no makeover, so to speak. No guesses as to who publishes that one!

3.0 out of 5 stars This Sound of Music soundtrack reissue could have been better, 17 Jun 2012
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My review of this Sound of Music CD is only for the presentation of the music, and not of the music itself. I only say this in case people get unhappy if they see my review.

I have been keenly following the various releases of the Sound of Music film soundtrack. This album has meant a whole lot to me and started me on my love of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals.

Having said that I feel disappointed with this recent 45th anniversary release. RCA has tended to reissue the soundtrack for every 5-year anniversary of the film. The past reissues were kind to us in including music unavailable to us for a long time.

As far as this 45th anniversary reissue is concerned, it uses the same CD mastering as the 40th anniversary soundtrack. This alone can be a positive because you still get all the song cues arranged in the running order of the film. Admittedly there isn't any noticeable improvement in the sound quality. I note that all releases have used the original RCA LP as a basis when longer versions of certain songs (such as the Processional and the Salzburg Festival reprise of Edelweiss) are available and could have been used instead. Also, we don't get much in the way of extras - except for Lea Michelle's rendition of My Favourite Things. I would have hoped that the R&H Organisation and 20th Century Fox would have ganged up to put out a complete twin-disc treatment of the soundtrack with all song cues and all underscoring. Interestingly enough, Fox lent all the original masters - including the 6-channel music masters - to the people who did the Blu-Ray, and one wonders why they didn't do a new stereo mix of the music and vocals for release as a CD.

I know that this release is meant for the mainstream casual fans who just want a copy of the Sound of Music soundtrack. However, one wonders when Sound of Music - and the other R&H film musicals - will be given soundtrack reissue treatments similar to the Wizard of Oz twin-disc soundtrack and even the complete score treatments accorded to Cleopatra, the three Lord of the Rings films and the Star Wars Classic Trilogy. There are people - myself included - who would like to hear Kostal's marvellous underscoring that links the songs together. The love scene for Maria and the Captain is a miracle. Kostal interweaves the Sound of Music theme song, Edelweiss, My Favourite Things and Something Good in the lead-up to that song.

For those who haven't got a copy of the CD, go ahead and pick this release up. For those who own the 40th anniversary release, hold on to it. I'm sure that someone will put out a proper Sound of Music soundtrack some day.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The Sound Of Music OST - 45th Anniversary Edition
The Sound Of Music OST - 45th Anniversary Edition by Richard Rodgers (Audio CD - 2010)