Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Cupcake Pan|Change

on 5 November 2010
I was desperate to buy one of the giant cupcake tins but found that in the UK there was really only a couple of options - the Wilton tin which was v. expensive and then the nordic one and the one from Lakeland - both of which I didn't like the look of as the top part of the cakes look too tall and pointy!!! (only my opinion!)

I then found this one. It came in at half the price of Wilton yet had the same dimensions and design. I was very wary of the quality as I have used Wilton before and loved them. However, I needn't have worried - it was a dream. The tin is nice and weighty and seems to have good non-stick peoperties.

Having googled lots and lots, I had seen that a problem with all of the giant cupcake tins (regardless of make) is that the base cooks slower than the top. I appreciated the instructions which came with the tin reminding me of this! It suggests baking the base for a few minutes before putting cake mixture in the top. I didn't do this - instead I made two cakes.

I have used a basic sponge mixture and it has worked out fine. I use a 4 egg mix for the base and a 3 egg mix for the top. These quantities ensure that the cakes rise above the tins - when cool, I then level them by chopping the tops off! I only butter (stork!) and flour my tins and never have problems with sticking. All in all, a great buy!!!
review image
33 comments|159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2012
This is brilliant, as long as you grease it before pouring the mixture in and, as someone else already stated, cook the bottom part of the cake for 50 minutes and the top half for only half an hour. I used a normal cupcake recipe for 24 cakes which was enough to fill the tin, make sure you only fill it 3/4 full or you'll need to cut it down for the top and bottom fo fit nicely together.
Looks very impressive when made and considering the cost of a giant cupcake from most bakeries is £45+, the tin is very good value for money as well as giving opportunities to make and sell them of your own ;)
Even if you don't like baking (course you like baking, otherwise you wouldn't be viewing this product to begin with, buy it anyway cos it might come in handy when someones birthday arises. beats buying one of those crappy rank cardboard tasting cakes from Tesco any day!
Enjoy!
on 13 April 2014
The tin arrived quickly and having read the reviews I decided to bake the top and bottom separately. The cakes took a bit longer than some people suggested but they still turned out really well. My sister was thrilled with her birthday cake.
on 13 June 2016
Great quality pan. The best advice I can give is to make sure you butter and flour the inside of the pan before adding your cake mixture and don't leave the cake cool in the tin or it'll be stuck fast, and when you have to start fishing it out with a knife you know it's game over! Tip it upside down after 5 minutes and give it a jiggle and that should do the job. You may also need to bend the middle ever so slightly to make sure when you put the cake ingredients in that it's level (I've had to do this once as I think it got a little bowed in the post). I use a 6 egg madeira sponge recipe, I'm pretty sure you can get away with a 5 egg mixture but I prefer to have the extra so it looks really full and I can cut off what's not needed (and taste to make sure the sponge is ok).
on 2 April 2014
I have used this twice already, once to try out and the second time for a friends birthday. The results were great both times.
on 17 May 2016
Great sized tin which I used for my daughters 6th birthday. Make sure you grease it well- I just used butter and a pastry brush And lined the base pan with grease proof paper and came out easily. Doesn't come with a receipe so be prepared to search web for one as there are plenty receipes out there.
on 17 March 2016
This is totally impratical for baking- the two sides cook at diffrent rates and because there joined you can't tip out one cake while the other is still cooking and the cake batter sticks to it even with a well greased side, its bettter just to buy two cake tins seperately and cut into a cupcake shape, these are bulkly and not worth it.
on 1 September 2015
Good tin that produces a nice cupcake shape and isn't too lightweight. I found the 6 egg cake mix suggestion to be about right with a little mix left over. I would recommend baking the top and the base separately as the bottom holds more mix and needs longer baking time so you won't want to over bake the top if you tried baking them together. Grease and flour or spray very generously with cake release spray to avoid sticking!
on 25 September 2011
I bought this mould to make a birthday cake. I used a 3 egg mixture for top and bottom and put it in the oven for 50 mins of 160C in a electric fan oven. I greased the tin and floured and the cakes came out perfect on first go. I made the bottom first and then the top. Found that easier to do than make them together. Altogether the cake turned out really well and I'm very happy with he mould.
review image
on 12 May 2016
Great tin, I've managed to produce a great muffin cake out of it which my daughter loved! I used a chocolate cake recipe and I had no problems 😊 Nice weight to it too!
Also fast delivery...all in all, very pleased!