4.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment
I first bought Empire Total War on it's day of release. Back then, it had great potential, but was riddled with game breaking bugs and annoying AI.

Thankfully after numerous patches and improvements, the game is much more polished. With the Napoleon expansion, it get's even better.

It was always going to be difficult for the devs to create a Total...
Published on 17 May 2011 by Sleeping Jeeva

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay - but not as fun as previous TW games
Although I have loved the TW series since Shogun, I resisted buying this game due to all the bugs that other reviewers kept on reporting. However, in Agust 2010 I relented when I saw this going cheap, so got a copy. My review will be split into 2 bits - the game itself (and the manual), the bug problem & instalation/steam:

THE GAME (Empire)
The game itself...
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by S. Anslow

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment, 17 May 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Empire and Napoleon Total War Collection - Game of the Year (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

It was always going to be difficult for the devs to create a Total War game involving predominantly ranged combat. The AI mechanics and strategy are much more complex when you line up 10 musket units, 2 cannons and a load of cavalry against each other. But Empire/Napoleon does a good job on the whole (though it's very easy to kill Generals with cannons from miles away).

The navel battles are enjoyable, though they can be a little complex when dealing with a large group of ships. I find it easiest to concentrate on controlling just the flagship or maybe two of the bigger ships of the line when you have a fleet of 10 or so.

Diplomacy was poor on release but operates much better now, especially in Napoleon.

Graphics are good and there are some amusing lines/animations when you zoom right into units.

Empire probably has the longer gameplay of the two games, with more scope for... well.... an empire. But Napoleon is the more dynamic and action packed.

Well worth purchasing for returning players who were put off by the glitches when first released.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to the Total War games., 2 Oct 2013
While I've played the first Shogun Total War, my interests moved along. How ever I thought I'd give Napoleon total war a go. The game is fantastic, and great fun. I've spent countless hours on the Coalition Campaign, and once I start, I have trouble stopping. I have no problems with the game itself and the Campaigns are great fun, there's nothing like trying to conquer the world with Sir Arthur Wellesley (The Duke of Wellington). The action is also good fun, lining up soldiers and watching the smoke gather as shots are fired makes it very exciting, and at times tense!

Great game, especially if you're looking for something that will completely fill up your time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay - but not as fun as previous TW games, 4 Jan 2011
S. Anslow "StuartA" (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

THE GAME (Empire)
The game itself seemed daunting at first as it had a massive map over 3 screens. The manual was absolutly dire and only gave the most basic of information - other stuff I learnt off various forums because without knowing how the mechanics work, you can't enjoy a game like this. In reality, the manual should have been beefy, espcially as its supplied as PDF on the disks as well, so theres no excuse (IMO) for not explaining everything in reasonable detail.

At first I hated the game - too much going on, and knowing to little made it less of an experience. I don't get to play games that often, so was disapointed at it all, but I perservered and after a while got into it a bit more, as I started to understand things. I have now played it on and off for around 4 months and will say the following:

1. Battles: Despite the size of the campaign map, the land battles lack the scope of previous TW games - in virtually all my battles, they have been fought on flat ground only. They have buildings which you can use, but don't (but its quite cool looking at your men inside, busting out the windows ready to shoot - but I did this once in 100 years!). Gone are the mountains that were seen in other TW games (as much as a pain as they were), even the bridges, that are on the map, end up like a swamp type battlefield and everyone liked the mass slaughter at the bridges!!!

That said, the battles are decent for what you get - most of the units you don't really need (you mostly just use line infantry) and the opponents are pretty weak unless you set to 'very hard' (recommended). There seems to be a bit more AI thinking in the battles, which is an improvement - but its not very strategic - the enemy will still walk into gun fire and get slaughtered etc. Seiges are a thing of the past really as well, as they all take place in 'star forts' which are ALL the same.

2. Graphics: I have a 5600 dual core (on XP) and I only get mediocre graphics - they are okay, but its a shame probibly only 1 in 10,000 will see the game in its full glory. Still, it plays fine without lags with the settings right!

3.Campaign Map: This vast and pretty decent. The new system of towns takes a bit of getting use to but its okay and the diplomacy is definatly improved.

4. Sea Battles - After a bit of practice these seem okay UNTIL you get big fleets fighting it out - 5 to 6 ships and its easy to micromanage it, but after that its gets a lot more difficult - still its okay!

5. Loading times - These are loooooooong - and TBH a pain in the backside!

INSTALLATION
Having read many of the previous reviews I knew what I was getting into with steam, the download bit etc and TBH it was pretty painless. I installed from the DVD's, connected to steam, let it do its download thing, then played it. It has only crashed once so far, so I presume the download sorted out certain bugs (It now automatically turns the sound off when you speed things up, which was a COD bug - which is a shame really, as even at fast speed, the battle sounds should be heard as in previous games). I would have prefered not to use steam, or at least have the option, but it did update well (though a patch downloaded could have done the same). Occassionaly I get a message from steam saying I can't play for some reason, but if I restart it plays fine!!! Still, Sega should take note of the users dislike of it in future releases IMO!

Overall I gave it a 3/5. This is because I can't get the better graphics and the gameplay doesnt match previous TW games - but all in all, its decent enough for the money, so I can't complain.

this review is for Empire only - I havnt played Napolean or the other campaigns yet, so will update review when I do.

3.0 out of 5 stars when it finally downloads, it's fun!, 9 Jan 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Steam lets this game down. It took over eight hours for this game to "download" before i could play it. what's the point of having 4 game discs if you still need to download the game. It's probably just an attempt to prevent piracy but why should the people who buy the game have to put up with this!!!

i've only been playing empire don't know if i can be annoyed waiting for napoleon to download to try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars personally very enjoyable, 11 Mar 2011
Adam J. Fallon (england) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
got this on steam the other day, decent price and all the dlc etc. took a while to download but got there in the end.

both games are great, ive always loved the total war games, right back to shogun and pre ordered shog 2 the moment i was able, i played medieval, and med 2 and also the rome games.

i never got round to purchasing these two, as at the time my computer had started to show its age, however in the last couple of months i have bought a new one and am purchasing new games/new releases/games i missed first time round etc etc.

ironically though, im much "better" at these total war games, strategy wise. id always wanted to be better at the others (shog, medieval, rome),but my plans and strategies were very, how can i say....flawed.

however, the strategy of using the skirmishers, line infantry and field artillery seem to work so much better for me, i even defeated the ai napolean at waterloo on hard! my work in the world map part seems better now too...

anyway, game wise id say a total war fan will enjoy this, especially these versions as they come with all dlc, which i believe gives the games a more rounded and complete feel, as without them they apparently seemed a little... half finished/empty when they first came out.

graphically very nice, with napolean looking slightly nicer than empire. however they are notoriously badly optimized and although my comp runs them at 1920x1080 mostly on high/ ultra with all but ssao on, they still chug eventually in the middle of big drawn out battle with loads of units on the go. you can of course scale them down but i like my games "pretty" too.

they both feel a bit more "involved" on the campaign screen if you get my meaning? you feel more in there, part of the goings on and campaigning, im hoping shogun 2 will follow this trend and make the whole package a bit more fun and engrossing.

the peninsular campaign in napolean is fun, especially if youre a sharpe fan like myself and was raised on both cornwell and the sean bean series.

ive had no crashes or dramas with these, thats on a win 7 64 system

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
A+

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks a bit happy, 30 May 2014
I'm a big fan of the TW genre but the first impressions are that the game looks a bit happy and colourful while maybe it should be a tad darker. For the rest trade, battleships and armies are quite decent, and the map layout with world maps is ambitious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 29 April 2014
Very good all round fun . this has been much enjoyed by my son .

You will certainly enjoy it .

4.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY ENTRALLING, 25 April 2014
A wonderful strategy game set in 18th century at a really fantastic price.
Great range of units and scenarios to play on land, sea and seiges etc.
Only minor downside for me so far was the slow Steam download as I live in a rural area with very slow broadband!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great perfect pice of totat war, 26 Mar 2014
Amazing game in total war series work perfect but take little long time for download from steam but work perfect on my laptop

Empire and Napoleon Total War Collection - Game of the Year (PC DVD)