Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£4.75+ £1.26 shipping

on 8 April 2012
Koloss has an otherworldly bleakness about it, like a deserted planet, with ragged mountain ranges that stretch as far as the eye can see, endless terrains of black brown rock and dust storms that turn the sun to a hovering, ghostly coin. Some people seem to view this feeling of bleakness as a 'boring' element that runs through the album, but I love that. I like the minimalism, the feeling of emptiness; it creates a sensation of space within and around the songs. Demiurge is a good example of this, with its eerie, ambient soundscapes (it grows into something quite sinister for me, cold and chilling towards the climax, which of course I adore) and the multi-layered, slow burning beauty of Behind The Sun. Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion sounds barren and dry until it floods into colour at 3:48 with those long, disquieting tunnels of guitar sound that seem to take us slowly, creeping into points of space. The Last Vigil takes this feeling of space into another dimension, an ethereal, haunting place full of forbidden geometry and strange, bleeding light.

Koloss is intricate, dense and heavy. I love the drumming patterns on Marrow and Swarm and the way the twin guitar riffs slide away from each other like magnets on Marrow. The way the guitar notes on The Demon's Name Is Surveillance build and bend into something high, wild and intense, penetrating and peering into your mind like snaking, living cameras, and how Do Not Look Down seems to flow into a completely different song at exactly the 3:00 minute mark. The way the guitar (it sounds like a weird sliding backwards chord with bending strings) seems to pull my stomach muscles down at 0:18 (there are two more during the song, deliciously heavy, they occur at 1:06 and 3:46) on I Am Colossus, it feels exquisite, like falling through a trapdoor. I love the ascending chromatic riff during the chorus and the lead solo towards the end is beautifully-placed, having a 'siren-esque' quality to it, a little like the melody (or rather the atmosphere) you hear during Corridor Of Chameleons (at 2:02 and 3:55) from Chaosphere. The Demon's Name Is Surveillance has this siren-esque quality as well towards the end section at 3:30. You can hear elements of Chaosphere and Obzen throughout the album and for that matter, elements of Nothing and Catch 33.

Koloss is an alien landscape. Beams of sunlight flicker in broken shafts on that black-brown surface. At certain angles, the light glints like gold upon those great stones. It is full of twists and turns like some leviathan puzzle box. What you find inside depends on how deeply you want to go into that box.

Koloss. Bleak. Barren. Alien.
on 3 March 2013
At first I thought that this wasn't the kind of album that would work well on vinyl. I thought it would be too heavy... But I was wrong. What is great about the having this album on vinyl is the sinister artwork with which many comparisons can be drawn with the music itself. Its technical, beautiful, innovative, provocative!

This band surprises me every time they bring out a new album and with Koloss, they do not disappoint. Its even more technical than previous albums and a lot more subtle. The co-ordination in songs such as "Do Not Look Down" and "The Demons Name is Surveillance" are mind blowing. Meshuggah continue to move the Holy Grail out of reach of those who seek to obtain it, which is only right of the band that invented the sound some would call "Djent".

However I think that the first single from Koloss; "Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion" just dragged on for a little too long. Its a good song and is a great contrast in tempo to the rest of the album being much slower. Also rhythmically the song not as complicated as the rest of the album giving some listeners a much needed break form the onslaught of Tomas Haake's genius. But with little noticeable change throughout the song, it doesn't justify being nearly 7 minutes long.

"The Last Vigil" brings the album to close with an eerie but peaceful instrumental guitar duo. Marten Hagstrom and Fredrik Thordendal ease the listener back into real space time which they had been forced to vacate at the opening riff of "I Am Colossus"

All in all Koloss is another incredible album form an Incredible band. Meshuggah have outdone themselves once again. Definitely worthy of 5 stars.
on 7 October 2012
Koloss is the next album from Meshuggah and personally i would say that while it is a good album it is not as good as their previous work. While i would say that i am a big Meshuggah fan i was slightly dis-appointed by this release as it didn't really offer anything new or any musical experimentation. It is heavy, probably their heaviest offering yet and if this had been released by any other band doing similar stuff i would be raving over it but I have come to expect more from these guys. Definately worth checking out and if you can get it cheaper then grab a bargain. Also the 'big case' with extra stuff is not worth the price, nothing of any special note on it.
on 5 April 2012
I have only recently got into Meshuggah. I had never heard of them before - which is quite a shock to myself!! I came across them browsing around youTube and listened to the 'Bleed' track, after that I went and bought a few of there albums Obzen, Nothing, Chaosphere and Koloss (just been released the day I heard them on the internet). What a great band, very extreme metal - so not for the faint hearted!! But so well written and performed musical pieces!! After listening to the above other albums, I definitely find this album to be the best, the song structures and the melodies are the best I've heard out of them. Lyrics by Haake are really good, check out 'Demon's name is surveillance'!!! I was shocked to find a 4 minute ambient style track, which again is amazing at the end of the album, which I think finishes it off quite nicely after you've had the mosh fest for the 9 songs before.

I also recommend the DVD with this one, there's a 25 minute making of the album and it's pretty strange to watch how they put the record together. I will definitely go see them live I hope they start to get noticed more in the UK soon!

Buy it, if your into metal. But only real hard metal!!
44 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2012
Masters of the extreme. a better offering than Obzen, with the inclusion of some "groovey" riffs and drum patterns... can i hear a cowbell? always good in my book. i've listened to these guys for years (since destroy, erase, improve... for me their opus) believe me, these guys also deliver live, case in point, Manchester Academy 17th april 2012. this cd has not been far from my side, either in the car or at home. I always can't wait for their offerings and this has sealed the deal for me. THE BEST BAND ON THE PLANET OR ANY OTHER FOR THAT MATTER.
on 29 March 2012
Been awaiting this album for a while, got to say meshuggah really went to town on this one. New approach with lots of progressive elements. The album is incredible! Definitely a perfect buy! Best metal album I've heard for a long time and Meshuggah are yet to ever disappoint me, which they wont I'm pretty sure of that.
on 11 August 2013
Once you find & understand those rythms from another dimension; you are trapped; trapped I tell you....
....in the wonderful musical honey trap that is Meshuggah.
Such clever,clever bastards
on 11 December 2015
This is MESHUGGAHS latest album released in 2012/13. Alot of fans say it is there most listenable album and i agree, there is a melody to the heaviness, its deep deep down and a very heavy melody BUT a melody all the same. Track 9, DEMIURGE is one of my favourite MESHUGGAH songs EVER!. This cd cost me about £5 and it was worth every penny. So even if your not a big MESHUGGAH fan you will love this.
on 1 October 2014
Psychedelic Viking robot metal.
Bong some Surströmming before listening (yes, I know that's Swedish and meshuggah are Norwegian; I'm blessed with ignorance being a white brit).
on 30 March 2012
This album absolutely blew me away, thought provoking lyrics, amazing riffs,amazing drums, and great vocals! What more can i say! If you're a fan of Meshuggah this is more of the same only done better (In my opinion) From start to finish every track kept me hooked and stood out in their own way. Definitely one of my favourites of 2012.