Format: DVD|Change
Price:£24.99+ £1.26 shipping

Taken is one of the best TV mini-series I have ever watched, I think it was first shown on TV in about 2002/2003, and when I randomly found it while browsing Amazon a few months ago I knew I had to buy it!

There are 10 episodes, beginning with the crash in Roswell New Mexico in 1947 up until present day (well around 2002/2003)! It essentially follows 3 familys : The Clarkes, the Crawfords and the Keys. Each of whom are connected in some way to the aliens. It is really interesting to see the plot weave in between these 3 families and the one thing that is in common - extraterrestrial life. The cast were really good, especially two of the young stars Anton Yelchin and Dakota Fanning who are both fantastic.

The plot is really good, it may be slightly far-fetched but it is good escapism and a series that could be watched over and over again. I finished it last month and have started watching it again and I am picking up details I missed before!

This is an excellent price for such a well written and thought out Sci-fi series. Highly recommended!
on 11 September 2009
What a fantastic series each DVD has two very long episodes. Literally several weekend's worth of top UFO drama, and all by Speilberg too so it has very high story, casting, special effects and production values.
VINE VOICEon 1 February 2004
Well, we've finally finished watching Taken, which is no mean feat after 10 one and a half hour episodes. On the whole, this series has a lot to recommend it, with strong work in most areas, it's usually engaging and mostly quite exciting. There were a couple of distinct downsides to the concept however which really ought to be noted, which I'll try to do without spoiling the plot at all. The Steven Spielberg influence is fairly apparent, each episode has a blockbuster resonance, but it does occasionally suffer from having slow periods where an awful lot of time elapses without too much happening, something that's especially obvious in the later episodes; I felt, in fact that the series started well; some of the earlier characters were excellent, but with this being set over several decades, the later replacements were for me a whole lot weaker, both as characters, and as actors. I started to notice a slightly stilted edge to some of the interactions later on, with conversations appearing unnatural and awkward. This aside, in my opinion, the last episode almost ruined the whole project, being deeply cheesy and far too sentimental, although I guess for some, they don't have a natural tendency to cringe horribly at monstrously americanised 'let's love everybody' nonsense. I also thought that one or two of the characters acted almost totally out of character in the final instalment, it seemed a shame to spend so much effort in building a persona throughout several hours of filming only to completely undermine that impression at the final hurdle. I only say this because in fact, if the series had ended more in the spirit with which it had begun, then I feel that the effort would have been almost flawless, since for the most part, it was gripping, thought-provoking and well made and despite its later flaws, is still recommended as a worthwhile investment.
on 15 December 2006
I ended up stumbling over this mini-series having developed an interest in the UFO phenomenon. Amazing how much historical reporting has been woven into this intense "fictional" narrative. This side of things made the series more enjoyable for me to watch and echoed all that I had been researching over the last six weeks.

I agree with a previous reviewer about how addictive the series is. Both my wife and I were hooked after the first episode and are now watching it through again! I think it is also true that episodes occasionally plod along, as another reviewer suggested, but I didn't find this to be a weakness. On the contrary the somewhat slow pace of the episodes gave you plenty of time to gather and formulate thoughts of your own. When you have read a significant number of abduction cases then it becomes clear that there is much to reflect upon. For me the abducted characters were simply portraying this post-reality paradigm shift.

Well worth watching, therefore, from beginning to end, with a great cast and some downright evil characters. If there are such beings as "ufonaughts", "space people", or "aliens", then one gets the impression from this series that they are not half as bad as the humans who walk this earth - once you get over what they reportedly look like!
on 5 April 2003
This is a must-see science fiction series that has been made by Steven Spielberg. Teh series aired on the BBC with ten, one-and-a-half hours programs and follows the generations of 2 families over 50 or so years of alien abductions, to come to a stunning and brilliantly written finalie which will guarantee that there is not a dry eye in the house. The character of Allie, the little girl who narrates the story of her family throughout the entire ten episodes and stars in the last half of the series is played by Dakota Fanning who is possibly the best eight-year-old actress that has even been given a starring role in a television series to date. She brings a view of the world to the program that ensures that the ending is all the more moving.
A must buy, but remember to buy a box of tissues to go along with the series.
An ambitious television series (ten feature length episodes) covering fifty years of alleged abductions by aliens. Considerable doubts are cast on what really happened at Roswell in 1947. "Weather Balloon" indeed!

Focus is mainly on three families. Two have partial alien inheritance, an eventual mating to produce awesome results. Also around for ever to thwart are three generations of paranoid Crawfords - they hotly denying the very idea of aliens and abductees, whilst secretly tracking them down for often fatal experiments.

The box set was watched over three successive evenings - a good way to see it, all the better to keep track of cast changes as the youngest characters grow older. (Be advised that at times developments confuse.)

Everything greatly entertains, not always for the right reasons. Critics have a point with claims of certain aspects unconvincing and simplistic - especially the attitude of top military, that eventual stand-off somewhat ridiculous. The Crawfords themselves are hard to believe, especially Mary who emerges as a cross between The Wicked Witch of the West and Cruella De Vil.

Despite reservations, there is much to please. Dakota Fanning is visually ideal as little Allie, who emerges as the key to everything - movingly vulnerable despite her great powers. (Vocally the actress may slightly disappoint, especially with her voice-overs in each episode.) Amongst special pleasures is Matt Frewer as wily Chet, he unashamedly stealing almost every scene he is in.

Six discs. The last one comprises a 40+ minute bonus, Steven Spielberg describing how his brainchild came to be screened. Ten different directors were carefully chosen. Staggeringly only one man, Les Bohem, wrote the scripts.

Perhaps some special effects now seem a little dated compared with more recent offerings. Here, though, is a great series many will enjoy - most almost certainly to emerge convinced of a Roswell cover-up.

Recommended.
on 25 April 2014
A true masterpiece brought to you by Steven Spielberg. The story spans over (I think) five decades, from the infamous Roswell crash to 'present day' and tells the tale of the surrounding web of military cover-ups, alien abductions and human-alien hybridisation.

The series features a wonderfully cast team, notably a very young Dakota Fanning, who is most definitely the star of the show.

I don't want to give too much away so I'll simply suggest that if you're into UFO based Sci-Fi, conspiracy theories and government cover-ups, buy this box set!
on 3 March 2015
This has got to be Steven Spielberg's best work yet! Not to be confused with the film of the same title starring Liam Neeson, this mini series is an absolute epic and will have you on the edge of your seat in no time. Whether you believe in aliens and UFO's or not, this one is a must for your DVD sci-fi collection. It has a brilliant storyline and at times will have you reaching for the tissues. Remember, keep looking up at the skies.......coz you just never know what's out there!
on 3 January 2006
I didn't think I would like this series(I only bought it for my dad), how wrong I was. This is a series that while based on the well known alien mythology is completely fresh and compelling. While catching snippets of episodes I became quickly hooked on Taken, the plot and the characters are classic. The real gem of the entire ten episodes though is undoubtably Dakota Fanning, who is the best child actress I have ever seen.In my opinion the present day episodes in which she appears and we are given some answers are the best and a must see (though of course there are always more questions than answers). With family at the center of this series how could Spielburg go wrong? Be warned the ending is sure to be a delightful tear jerker, I loved every second of it!
on 12 May 2003
I actually watched Taken when it appeared on TV a short while ago, i was hooked from the start and with the new BBC-3 channel that Sky has introduced i was able to immediately switch over to watch the following weeks episode, unfortunately on the very last episode i was unwell and missed practically the whole episode of which i was very upset.<BReven though i have watched most of it i will definately watch it again and again which is something that i never normally do.
This is a subject that interests me greatly, i guess that the film makes things seem a lot more believable, at the end of the day lets face it- do you believe in aliens? do you think that they may look like you and me? or do you really believe that if at all they do exist they are really.......little green men? the answer is somewhere out there!!!! ( lol ) Thanx for a brilliant film....Excellant!!!!!