Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

I came across this story when I was searching for something new to read on my Kindle. Even though I have never read anything by this author before I liked the premise of the story and decided to risk the grand total of 71 pence on buying it.

I am very glad I did! Quite simply, this is one of the best short stories/novellas I have ever read.

The shorter novella format can bring an intensity to a story that just cannot be maintained for the course of a full length novel. This story is most definitely very intense.

The author grabs your attention in the opening pages and quite literally does not let you go until the last word.

The story is set in the near future and is part detective thriller, a little bit of techno-thriller and a little bit of science-fiction and it all works very nicely indeed!

Although only briefly described, I found the authors version of a mostly nuclear free world enlightening and even slightly hopeful. It certainly made a refreshing change to the post-apocalyptic world that is much more common science-fiction theme.

Character development is surprisingly good for such a short story, but it is the intensity of the plot that is the real winner. It really is relentless page turning material!

There is also an ingenious twist that I honestly didn't see coming that actually had me gasping out loud in shock at the revelation - superbly done!

The presentation on the Kindle is absolutely perfect with no errors whatsoever as far as I could see. Also, the cover art is provided and works nicely in black and white on the Kindle. It's a minor point I know, but I do get annoyed when e-books don't have the cover picture.

I read the story in one sitting in about an hour and a half and can't think of a better way of spending the time.

Overall - Five Stars without a shadow of a doubt.

Time to try another book by Christian Cantrell - Containment next I think!
on 16 May 2011
I read Containment on a plane out to California and enjoyed it so much I read the rest of the authors works over the next 5 days. This story is an excellent cat and mouse suspense with a great twist at the end. I would rate it as a classic short story. If you like Arthur C Clarke or Isaac Asimov then this is for you.
on 20 December 2011
I bought this book a few weeks ago simply because the author's work was being recommended by Amazon alongside my own technothriller. This morning, I fired up my Kindle, decided to read the first page...and a couple of hours later, here I am.

This is a great novella. The situation is interesting; there are infodumps but these are well handled; the author knows when to go into geeky detail and when not to. The story crackles along and contains some great ideas.

What are you waiting for?
on 3 June 2012
An exciting fast paced story that will have you riveted. It really is hard to put down and an unusual story that sets it apart from other science fiction.

My first by this author and I am keen to read more.
on 22 January 2013
Following a detective investigating a worldwide series of murders and the "richest homeless man in the world", this short story keeps a great momentum going throughout, and has an interesting plot progression.

It's an absorbing read, and the sometimes lengthy descriptions of technology that Cantrell seems so fond of do actually work well in this story, immersing you into the world and satisfying any issues my mind might have raised had things gone unexplained.

Recommended for a good flick through.
on 28 January 2015
Enjoyed it; there were some nice ideas but it got a bit stupid at the end.

If this sort of sci-fi (computer science, nanotechnology, etc) is your thing then you really cannot go wrong with Neal Stephenson. This little book, while fun to read, just served to remind me how good Snow Crash and The Diamond Age really are. In fact some of the ideas in the former are so close to those in the Epoch Index that it makes me wonder if that's where he lifted them from (right down to the molecule-thick knife blade...).

Having said that I will read more by this author to see if the potential is realized.
on 21 October 2014
I've just discovered this author and I'm rather pleased that I have. This is a good story, excellent ideas and good characterization, it is short and came to an abrupt end, which only left me wanting more.
on 20 November 2013
This was a good quick read that was well thought out and written. I can't say too much for fear of spoilers, but it's suitably intriguing to keep you going. I will look out for more of Cantrell's works. Good stuff.
on 30 December 2011
Very well balanced story. Read containment too. I shall be looking out for more by this author. Hopefully a full novel. V good.
on 4 June 2015
I had read Containment as it was a free download. I enjoyed that so I bought this book on the back of it (I forget why I chose this one in particular). If I'm honest I didn't enjoy it so much.