5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best short stories/novellas I have ever read.
I came across this story when I was searching for something new to read on my Kindle. Even though I have never read anything by this author before I liked the premise of the story and decided to risk the grand total of 71 pence on buying it.

I am very glad I did! Quite simply, this is one of the best short stories/novellas I have ever read.

The...
Published on 29 Jan 2011 by S. Horrigan

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice but it feels incomplete
An interesting story, cleverly written.
But it feels incomplete, as if it had been arbitrarily cut short.
From the way the story unfolds I was expecting a novel, not a short story
Published 15 months ago by Vince

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best short stories/novellas I have ever read., 29 Jan 2011
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)

The shorter novella format can bring an intensity to a story that just cannot be maintained for the course of a full length novel. This story is most definitely very intense.

The author grabs your attention in the opening pages and quite literally does not let you go until the last word.

The story is set in the near future and is part detective thriller, a little bit of techno-thriller and a little bit of science-fiction and it all works very nicely indeed!

Although only briefly described, I found the authors version of a mostly nuclear free world enlightening and even slightly hopeful. It certainly made a refreshing change to the post-apocalyptic world that is much more common science-fiction theme.

Character development is surprisingly good for such a short story, but it is the intensity of the plot that is the real winner. It really is relentless page turning material!

There is also an ingenious twist that I honestly didn't see coming that actually had me gasping out loud in shock at the revelation - superbly done!

The presentation on the Kindle is absolutely perfect with no errors whatsoever as far as I could see. Also, the cover art is provided and works nicely in black and white on the Kindle. It's a minor point I know, but I do get annoyed when e-books don't have the cover picture.

I read the story in one sitting in about an hour and a half and can't think of a better way of spending the time.

Overall - Five Stars without a shadow of a doubt.

Time to try another book by Christian Cantrell - Containment next I think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 16 May 2011
Amazon Customer (waterlooville, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
I read Containment on a plane out to California and enjoyed it so much I read the rest of the authors works over the next 5 days. This story is an excellent cat and mouse suspense with a great twist at the end. I would rate it as a classic short story. If you like Arthur C Clarke or Isaac Asimov then this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
An exciting fast paced story that will have you riveted. It really is hard to put down and an unusual story that sets it apart from other science fiction.

My first by this author and I am keen to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars v good short story!, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
Very well balanced story. Read containment too. I shall be looking out for more by this author. Hopefully a full novel. V good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced, intelligent near-future thriller, 20 Dec 2011
Ian Hocking "author" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book a few weeks ago simply because the author's work was being recommended by Amazon alongside my own technothriller. This morning, I fired up my Kindle, decided to read the first page...and a couple of hours later, here I am.

This is a great novella. The situation is interesting; there are infodumps but these are well handled; the author knows when to go into geeky detail and when not to. The story crackles along and contains some great ideas.

What are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 17 April 2014
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
Please can we have more of this! I couldn't believe it when it suddenly finished and I was left hanging on a cliff edge. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short story., 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
This was a good quick read that was well thought out and written. I can't say too much for fear of spoilers, but it's suitably intriguing to keep you going. I will look out for more of Cantrell's works. Good stuff.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice but it feels incomplete, 17 April 2013
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
An interesting story, cleverly written.
But it feels incomplete, as if it had been arbitrarily cut short.
From the way the story unfolds I was expecting a novel, not a short story

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting read, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
Following a detective investigating a worldwide series of murders and the "richest homeless man in the world", this short story keeps a great momentum going throughout, and has an interesting plot progression.

It's an absorbing read, and the sometimes lengthy descriptions of technology that Cantrell seems so fond of do actually work well in this story, immersing you into the world and satisfying any issues my mind might have raised had things gone unexplained.

Recommended for a good flick through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great novella, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Epoch Index (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful novella, well paced with an excellent ending. I cannot recommend it highly enough to all fans of speculative fiction and sci fi.

The Epoch Index