5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent - read it already!
Wonderfully entertaining stuff - this is essentially a pre-television soap opera, much like the novels of Dickens or George Eliot.
Published on 14 Mar 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read
I found the language hard going and therefore gave up which was a shame because the plot seemed good .
Published 14 months ago by Angela Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent - read it already!, 14 Mar 1999
By A Customer
The essentials of the story are as follows: our hero is a young painter hired as tutor to a young heiress. The lady in question is remarkably pretty, innocent, sweet-tempered (etc etc) and inevitably our hero falls for her hook, line & sinker. Needless to say the path of true love doesn't run smoothly and not only are they separated, but the heiress is subject to the wicked plots of marvellously nefarious villains.
Sounds cheesy as anything, I know; but the story is fast paced, convoluted and frequently (intentionally!) very funny. Because Collins employs a first person narrative technique, telling his tale through one character's diary then another one's letters, we are allowed an insight into the thoughts and speech patterns of a wide range of characters. Some of them are downright hilarious - particularly our heroine's outrageously camp uncle. As so often happens, it is the secondary (and indeed bit-part) characters who are the most entertaining - the fabulous Marianne (just wait till you read that initial description of her appearance! The contrast between standards of beauty now & then is remarkable...although granted it sounds like she needed immac for that top lip of hers) and the indomitable Count with his pet white mice scampering around, to name my two favourites - and undoubtedly your own. What are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars The most wonderful book I have ever read, 7 Jun 2001
I took a few pages to click into the Victorian narrative but once I was into it, it gripped from start to finish. This book has the most wonderfully drawn characters and because it switches narrators several times ( Wilkie Collins does this to great effect also in 'The Moonstone') you are just getting lulled into the perspective of one person, when you are then gently jolted and led along by another.
If you want a book with love, romance, mystery and an undercurrent of the sinister running through it I promise you will not be disappointed. You will then be so hooked by Wilkie Collin's writing style that you will want to devour the rest of his books immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victorian mystery & intrigue, 5 Nov 2009
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Chilling, thrilling, mysterious and very dramatic! A mysterious figure, a woman in white, appears out of nowhere on a London street at midnight - she is running away from someone or something. The only person she meets on that lonely road is Walter Hartright, an Art teacher, and little does he know it but he is about to have his life tured upside down. Mysterious letters, ghostly figures by gravesides, kidnapping and poison all follow through the next 700 pages and not a word is wasted! Narrated by several different characters, all portraying their their own experiences, the reader sees the story unfolding before them.

Written as a serialised stroy in a weekly newspaper in 1860, you can almost hear the curtain falling and the audience gasping at the end of each chapter. I could just imagie myself waiting excitedly for each installment to come out to find out what happens next just as they would have when it was published. For a victorian novel, The Woman in White is incredibly fast paced with some of the best characters I have ever come across.

I just loved this book from start to finish. This is what a book should be - something that makes you think about it when you can't get to it and excited to pick it up again. Bravo Mr Collins!! I can't wait to read more of your work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat your heart out Raymond Chandler, 9 May 2003
Stephen Bentley (SHEPPERTON, Middx United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A barnstorming doorstop (pardon the mixed metaphores) of a book. Has to be read at one sitting, I know I've done it, and according to the blurb so did Gladstone. So no slacking at the back. The characterisation is magnificently overdone, the plot is brilliantly worked out. It's got remote asylums, spooky mansions, ghostly apparitions, swirling fogs and the first sight of "The Woman in White". Oh how I envy you, just drop your modernist standards and have a good old fashioned wallow. Throw another log on the radiator send the kids to your mother for the weekend (there's approx 2 inches of paperback to get through) give in and get on with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Make 'em laugh, make 'em weep, make 'em wait, and make 'em come back.", 2 Jun 2006
Mary Whipple (New England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This advice for writing serial romances, alternately attributed to Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, and Charles Reade, is epitomized in this 1860 novel by Collins, a story of thwarted love, a marriage of obligation, claims on inheritance, the victimization of women, and, most of all, engaging mystery. Collins, often credited as the father of the mystery genre, creates a fast-paced story of Victorian England, revealing much about Victorian society and its values--the role of women, the laws governing marriage and inheritance, the social institutions of the day, the contrasting attitudes toward the aristocracy and the lower classes, and even the level of medical care and the treatment of psychological illness.

When drawing master Walter Hartright is on his way to teach Marian Halcombe and Laura Fairlie at Limmeridge House, in Cumberland, England, he meets a "woman in white," a young woman who knows Limmeridge House well because she was mentored by Mrs. Fairlie, Laura Fairlie's deceased mother. The "woman in white" is Anne Catherick, who looks just like Laura, but who is an escapee from a nearby mental asylum. Upon his arrival at Limmeridge House, Walter immediately falls in love with the beautiful Laura, but she has made a deathbed pledge to her father to marry to Sir Percival Glyde, someone Anne Catherick despises and blames for her own incarceration. Throughout the novel, Anne visits various characters to offer help in combating Sir Percival and his cohorts.

The story unfolds through documents held by a variety of characters, each of whom tells the story from his/her own point of view. The reader develops sympathy for the innocent and beautiful Laura, respect for her homely but bright half-sister, Marian Halcombe, sadness for Walter Hartright, and hatred for Sir Percival and his friend, the Italian count Fosco, with whom Sir Percival is in business. Sir Percival and the count need financing, and it is Laura's inheritance that is at stake. A series of consecutive disasters, along with arguments, revelations of abuse, the fear of exposure, and the contemplation of murder by Sir Percival and Count Fosco, draws the reader irrevocably into the action.

The characters are sympathetically drawn, with Collins showing an early awareness of the influence of psychology on behavior. The descriptions of nature, presented realistically and in minute detail, build suspense, as Collins creates parallels between nature and the details of plot. As is usually the case with romances, chance plays a huge role in the unfolding action, creating cliff-hanging suspense which contributes to the excitement--and pure fun--of this seductive novel. The conclusion, involving a subplot unrelated to the primary action, resolves issues conveniently. The almost-forgotten author of twenty-five novels, Collins was one of the most successful authors of Victorian mysteries, and he is gaining new attention as a result of reprints of this novel and The Moonstone. Mary Whipple

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, 8 Mar 2005
A. Steffe "haraniya" (Derby) - See all my reviews
I am so glad I picked this up by random choice, because it has become one of my most beloved tales. It is so easy to get into - starting off original and funny and quickly slipping into mystery and page-tearing intrigue.
Each character will capture your heart or your contempt as you follow this dark tale. You are immediately drawn into sympathy with them as they unfold their mystery as you, the reader, does. They are among my most favourite characters ever.
The structure of the book means you get precise and detailed accounts of everything, so there is no chance of missing anything important in the mystery. It does ensure you are a part of every moment. I love Marian's diary entries.
The book is thick(er than some) and the pages are thin, but Collins' prose moves you along at such a pace. Everytime I picked it up I said "only 10 or so pages" and I ended up 100 pages into it once again and a cold cuppa next to me.
There is a hefty intro and endless asterisk throughout with notes in an appendix. Don't read these till you finish the book as they give stuff away you don't want to uncover before Walter or Marian does!!
Also, the narrative of Mr Fairlie is the most hilarious chapter I've ever read. I COULD NOT stop laughing. Every sentence just got funnier. Perhaps it was just relief from the darker mood of the book, (which is of course its objective) but it was so funny. Mr Fairlie is a highly entertaining character and Collins' quirky prose excels when writing him.
I keep trying to get people to read this beautiful story, but they see it and go "oh no..." but please, dally no longer and buy it. It's an absolute bargain for 1.50! You get a fantastic, harrowing, gripping story that will stay with you for years. Forget this month's magazine and invest in The Woman in White. It's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I know why it's a classic, 11 Dec 2004
Now I know why it's a classic - I just can't understand why it isn't up there with Jane Austin and Charles Dickens. Wilkie Collins could have written The Woman in White last year - it's that fresh. It reminded my of The Quincunx by Charles Palliser - except not so long! The plot is just as well-worked. I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be Wilkie Collins best!, 7 Sep 2005
I had heard of Jane Eyre, the Bronte sisters and Thomas Hardy, but not much of Wilkie Collins before I read this novel, but it is my favourite book of all time now. I recommend it to many people. I have read this twice and each time I could not put it down.
The fact that it is a very thick book may seem daunting at first, but believe me, before you know it, you will be at the end. This book is full of suspense, page after page.
Taking a point of view from several of the characters, mostly in diary form, keeps it flowing. A story of passion, hate and lies. The pain of love.
This book contains the romantic side and the thrilling side, so it will appeal to many different readers who like different genres.
Even if you are not an adamant reader of the classics, I seriously suggest you read this. For £1.50, it is an excellent buy, for such an amazing book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Mystery, 23 July 2003
I bought this book in a second hand shop. When I got about 50 pages in I realized a great chunk was missing! I was mortifyed! From the moment I picked the book up I had been spell-bound by the beauty of the writing and the fateful twists in the plot. I rushed out and bought it and finished it in the next sitting. I am not a fan of Dickens (collins brother-in-law) whoes writing is very bleak. This book in contrast is alive with wonder and intrigue from start till finish. This is my favourite book of all time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth some persistence, 3 May 2009
Rebecca (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to confess that although this book is thoroughly enjoyable, it took a fair amount of time and determination for me to read it. However, it is well worth the persistence.
I would say that whilst it is not written in the most elegant prose, the descriptions still create very detailed images that flesh out the characters.
It's an intricate mystery story with necessary but not outlandish twists that keep it interesting and entertaining. It is unlike modern thriller mysteries, far more detailed and relaxed but just as intriguing.
As with many books of it's kind, often circumstances were a little too convenient, however this can be forgiven as it allows for the very clever way in which different characters narrate the story at relevant points.
I was left feeling that I knew the main characters intimately, a credit to the author.