4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Nice gloves, comfortable and good grip. They're not the warmest but I didn't buy them for that. If you want to be able to use your phone whilst walking around town for example they are ideal. Of your thinking of using them for skiing get some ski gloves!
Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by Flash

2.0 out of 5 stars In a quandry...
Published on 12 Feb. 2013 by Mr. D. J. Fowler-Timms

2.0 out of 5 stars In a quandry..., 12 Feb. 2013
Mr. D. J. Fowler-Timms (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of these gloves just over a year ago and I would have to concur with much of what others have written here. The grips are adequate, they fit, the construction is good quality and the styling is neat. However, they are pretty expensive, they're not warm (I guess that if you want warmth North Face would expect you to buy their Windstopper variant at nearly twice the price), certainly not water resistant to any extent and the Etips wear out after just a few months of use.

I have typically used the Etip capability for firing up the SatNav on cold winter starts in the car and for using my phone while watching my local rugby team. Unfortunately, as gloves they don't offer the protection needed when de-icing the car; even keeping my fingers cold once the car has started to warm up indeed and I still need to keep my hands firmly in my pockets at the rugby.

Last week I noticed that I could not operate my SatNav while wearing them as the Etip on my index finger was wearing out. Given the timescales involved I would say that I have had just one full season's use out of them (2 months last year, 2 months this year).

Now I'm left with a pair of gloves that are essentially useless and in a quandry. Not only do they not keep my hands warm (I have other gloves that do that) but they don't work my e-devices either. I have looked at other 'touch tip' alternatives (almost all of them come in much cheaper) but I don't like the knitted styling and reviewers of them almost universally say that they don't fit larger hands, the quality is poor and they're not particularly warm either. So what do I do? Wear my other 'warm' gloves but take them off every time I want to use my phone, buy another pair of these every year which only keep my hands marginally warmer than not wearing gloves at all or take out a small loan to buy a pair North Face Windstopper Etip gloves bearing in mind that the Etips give up after a single season..?

I just don't know, but either way I'm a little dissatisfied with these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 15 Dec. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly warm, 31 Jan. 2013
When I first wore these I thought they were not that warm, I possibly expected gauntlet glove levels of warmth..however, they are deceiving..

When the snow arrived I quickly realised they were brilliant for making snowballs and keeping the fingers warm, I think the "soft" material takes a while to reflect the heat from your fingers "back" thus giving the impression initially that they are not "warm", but their ability to isolate you from the cold, wet and snow/Ice in particular is amazing!

Yes, the etip is no gimmick, worked on Samsung and Apple touch screens perfectly!

3.0 out of 5 stars E-tip works well. Unfortunately, the gloves as a whole don't .., 7 Dec. 2012
Jonathan (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
They fit well, have a decent grip and leave you with a good amount of dexterity and sensitivity in your fingers - zips, dog leads, tissues etc. are no problem. The e-tip works also works exceptionally well and works well on all devices with capacitive screens (i.e. all modern touchscreens).

The downside of these gloves is that they are simply not that warm in temperatures below, say, 3-4 degrees Celsius. When walking, I often find my index and middle fingers in particular going numb first, with the others following suit shortly after.

Overall I would say they are good gloves - they fit well, allow you to keep some sensitivity in your hands, and the e-tip works as advertised.

However, as they are not that warm I would say these should be seen as spring/autumn gloves only, or for short winter trips to the shops/pub. Not for winter dog walking/hill-walking as they just aren't warm enough.

If I was reviewing them purely for the e-tip and overall design, they would get a solid 5/5. However, as these are gloves - and as such, designed to keep your hands warm(!) - I can't really give them more than a 3/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Etip gloves, 28 Dec. 2010
G. Lennox (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
These worked extremely well during the recent cold snap. I was able to operate both my DSLR and my iPhone without removing the gloves and they kept my fingers warm.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 13 Mar. 2013
These gloves are exactly as described but they are not designed for the weather we have been experiencing recently i.e. the past few days 11-12 March 2013 which is a shame. You will feel the cold!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all photographers and Kindle users, 7 Dec. 2012
Miss J. M. Austin (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
These gloves are perfect for not only smartphones and tablets but also Kindle users and photographers or indeed any electronic device that you need to operate outdoors. They are cosy and warm, although not as warm as my more traditional ski gloves. My only criticism would be that the fingers are slightly long, although I do have small hands, even by small standards !

3.0 out of 5 stars Stitches came undone after three wears, 23 April 2014
For the price, I had expected a bit more than less than a week before having to return them.

I'm on a course of medication that affects the nerve endings on my fingers. According to the description, these gloves were exactly what I needed because I cannot use my fingers in any kind of cold weather.

Trying to buy gloves at this time of year is not easy. So I was happy to pay the price. They fitted perfectly and they worked - I could use my phone. Then three goes later they began to fall to bits.

If you get lucky with a pair that have been well made I'd recommend them. Not for me though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very, er, handy, 9 Dec. 2013
Firstly I am very pleased with my purchase. Yes the tips do operate touch screen devices and this is very useful. If the weather is very cold these won't keep your hands warm however if you have a slightly bigger pair of gloves these will fit nicely underneath. (But kind of defeats the object of having eTips and the rubber gripping on the palm). They're good for gripping a freezing cold steering wheel though. If they were a little more insulating I'd give them 5 stars but for my stiff arthritic fingers they're actually pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 7 Feb. 2012
Brilliant love these gloves, they are great for texting, binocular work and photography. Warm enough even in the snow would recommend.

The North Face Men's Etip Glove - TNF Black, Medium