5.0 out of 5 stars ...lest we forget

Published on 16 Mar 2010 by Vandhøj

5.0 out of 5 stars ...lest we forget, 24 May 2004
A. G. Bate "book worm :)" (VIC, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
This is an amazingly powerful and readable book. There's so much going wrong in our world that I felt driven to try somehow to untangle my thoughts. I read "Heroes" aged 45 as a retrospective and it felt like a rite of passage. I was just a teenager at the time of Vietnam and during many of the political upheavals he refers to. Like many people I just accepted as "the truth" what was in the UK media. I didn't look for layers or ulterior motives. Pilger writes fluently, passionately, cuts to the core and backs everything up with solid research. He does have a political agenda BUT even if you relate to just 1% of his work, there's enough there that we should all be deeply concerned about. His skill is that he tells without lecturing; he was and remains courageous enough [literally and figuratively] to go where most journalists either couldn't or wouldn't. That alone demands we read him. He doesn't prescribe any course of action but leaves us to formulate our own personal response. Even if you read it and tell two others to do the same, Pilger's heroes won't have suffered in vain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, truthful and right...thank God for John Pilger!, 19 Aug 2004
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
I make no denial of it...I think John Pilger is one of the greatest journalists alive today.
As 'Heroes' shows, Pilger is great not because he's an opinonated talking-head who's reached some exalted position.
No, Pilger is great because he shines the light of truth in the darkest of situations...East Timor, Vietnam, Iraq, the worst parts of Australia and the dark side of Britian.
Though he, of course, has opinions he only ever writes with the full weight of factual evidence behind him.
This, rightly described as Pilger's Classic work, is deeply powerful and moving.
With a very readable writing style Pilger gives voice to people who would normally have no voice in the big, multi-media conglomerates who dominate the big, supposedly democratic nations.
He represents and gives voice to the poor, the oppresed, the neglected, the forgotten.
'Heroes' along with his other books and films puts the, often unpalatable, truth to a mass audience who can then judge the facts and make up their own minds about how (peacefully and democraticaly) they want to respond.
As a freelance journalist myself I always try to never forget that behind big events such as the war in Iraq or the catastrophe in Sudan lie individual stories of pain and also of bravery.
Of ordinary people trying just to get by and do the best they can in often the harshest and most desperate of cicumstances.
Everyone who cares about this world and what the powerful (often right-wing) vested interests are doing to it, must read this book.
Perhaps then a true global peace and justice movement will come into being and then, maybe, this world will be a fairer and more decent place.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be able to put this down, 11 July 2001
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
I have only just finished reading this, and like Hidden Agendas and Distant Voices, this is well written and quite superb. If you want to know the truth about middle america, the Vietnam war, the Miners in Northern England and a myriad of other topics, written by a man who was there and in the know, then this is for you. John Pilger is a journalist of much integrity and compassion. Read this and you may well weep - if you don't you have no heart. BUY IT - and look at your lucky life a little differently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential for anyone with a conscience, 24 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
Pilger's life has been devoted to exposing unfair treatment of human beings and this book is just one chapter in it. When so much reporting is based on unverifiable sources, it's refreshing to read such a thoroughly researched text. Pilger has pointed out what is being done in our names and why. He is not driven by issues or politics, instead he concentrates on the suffering of people all over the world. This book has changed my entire perspective of my country and the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, 24 May 2001
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
Heroes should be required reading for all policy makers, governmental and World Bank employees, and pre-college students. It is a brilliant exposee of offical dissemination of Truth by The Establishment and the resultant injustice to individuals as well as entire nations. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it., 9 Jun 2001
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
What can I say, other than the best book I have read. It scores on a number of levels: it is very well written; as it is a collection of 'stories'; you don't feel intimidated by the length. It can be funny, it will definitely open your eyes and it will give you the kind of education which no one else seems interested in providing. It should especially be read by anyone in power (as above, World Bank employees, BBC, etc) and anyone interested in recent history, justice, media, other people, travel, books....... This book inspired me to go to Vitenam (wonderful place). READ it.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Modern History, 3 Oct 2005
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
If we are to learn from modern history and the mistakes of its past which applies to the world today, this book gives a global overview and where we must start. The personal stories from around the world told in a stand alone chapter structure ensures the book is suitable for all types of readers and thus increases its ability to educate those who read it. Should be available to all students in 2nd and 3rd level education.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory reading for every politician ..., 19 Sep 2009
H. Popeck "bigaitch" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
and for everyone thinking of entering that disgraced profession. This is both a harrowing read and a monumental achievement.

2.0 out of 5 stars flawed, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: Heroes (Paperback)
I remember picking up this book way back in the seventies and being awed and engrossed by Pilgers commentary, right up to the episode on the evicted farm worker, which was in actual fact one long made up story. I worked in farming at the time, and realized that fact after so called fact was just plain fantasy, this coloured my whole view of the rest of the book, coming to the conclusion that if he made that up, what more did he make up.......Pilger has always had an axe to grind, the old Australian chip on the shoulder syndrome, he has always been a lousy reporter because he cannot remain detached and objective.

Heroes