Colour Name: sunburst|Change

on 5 December 2011
After reading a few reviews prior to purchasing this guitar I felt the need to post my review.
I had wanted to get a cheap beginners guitar for my son, not wanting to spend a fortune due to it being a first purchase and not knowing if "I want to learn the guitar" was a whim on not. I purchased this item and the only thing niggling my conscious was the feedback regarding delver and condition when received.
I have to say I have nothing but positives to contribute.
The guitar came a day earlier than anticipated and although only delivered on the packaging box (which could easily be addressed), it arrived undamaged and with all the specified extras.
100% satisfaction from me and I only hope the boy enjoys his Xmas present comes the 25th! :-)
on 16 January 2011
I bought this guitar for my husband as a christmas gift,it is the perfect guitar for a beginner. Very nice looking guitar. Nice weight. He loves it.
on 3 February 2016
I bought this guitar so that I could learn how to play. I found it cheap on Amazon Warehouse deals. It came without any of the accessories other than a guitar strap which didn't fit (seems someone returned their guitar with a different guitar strap), although Amazon gave me a partial refund to make up for that.

The guitar itself was actually in good quality. The issue is, the strings that come with it are terrible. They WILL shred your fingers. It's not just because you're a beginner, the strings might as well have been coated with sandpaper.

I purchased some new strings with the guitar because I read another comment stating the same, although I was doubtful. I bought Martin M170 Extra Light Acoustic Guitar Strings, and attached them to the guitar within a few days of buying it, and found they were 100x better on my fingers, and sounded better too.

The next issue with this guitar, is how high the strings are. By that I mean there is possibly 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of space between the strings and the fretboard in the middle of the fretboard, getting worse towards the sound hole. A capo helped make the guitar more playable, as it brings the strings lower, making it much easier to press down the strings.

This may be due to the previous fact that the strings are too high, but the guitar sounds poor without a capo on, even after tuning it many times, it just doesn't sound great. This has been a big problem with this guitar for me, I have to play most things with a capo on to make the guitar sound normal, which has problems of it's own, but it does help a lot.

Overall, the guitar isn't very good, despite it coming from a big name (Martin Smith). It's great if you don't want to spend too much, but be prepared to fight with this guitar, it's a nightmare to learn with.
on 5 February 2011
This is my third purchase of an acoustic guitar in little over a year, and third time lucky! For the money this is a great package, the guitar itself looks great, sounds great, stays in tune, is comfortable to play on account of the rounded body and slim neck. The steel strings and metal machine heads were an added bonus, many more expensive acoustics are nylon strung and have plastic machine heads, and having had one of those inferior ones break within six weeks of purchase, this one so far is great quality. Yes it is made in China but for me, clearly better than the other high street retailer/catalogue company mass produced rubbish I've had the misfortune to own. The sunburst version is also very attractive to look at, a consideration should I decide to upgrade in the future. As a relative beginner I am very pleased with this guitar. The only sign that it is mass produced is a little bit of flaking of the varnish where the machine heads are screwed into the headstock, and a slight rough edge on the body. Otherwise highly recommended as a first guitar. Do not buy an Elevation guitar, buy one of these they are cheaper and better by miles! I've yet to try the free online lessons but they are a great addition to the overall package.
on 26 December 2010
guitar snobs may not tell you this is the best guitar in the world, as a beginner i don't know about that but i am perfectly happy with this instrument. Excellent value, delivered promptly, a d.v.d with your first six chords and practice pieces. Access to weekly lessons online. It didn't come with six strings as advertised but one 1e, an Allen key and instruction sheet on changing your strings. To make life easier i also bought a six pound digital clip on tuner and recommend other beginners do same. I would recommend this kit to anyone thinking about taking up guitar .
on 16 January 2014
Item just arrived in time and with great packaging. I believe the price you pay of this kind of guitar really is worth it. The guitar is suitable for beginners and needs some tuning after unpacking but the delivery packaging is perfect.

The guitar itself does really feel good in hands and the surface finish of the wood is of high quality. The strings are working perfectly and with the correct tuning, one can start playing songs on it.
There are also extra strings as they will be needed when the current strings wear out after a year or so of playing.
It comes with the complete package and a manual as well to get you started.

Despite all these, I found on the Internet that many say don't buy Martin Smith and go for something else.
My advice is if your budget is limited below £100 and you want to start a new hobby and play a new instrument, this is a great option as it's cheap and of high quality. Enough to get you started until you may want to go for a more studio version of the guitar. The sound is ok and won't put you off either, but do your research as buying a bad guitar that makes bad chords, would put you off and de-motivate you in the long term.
on 13 January 2016
Brilliant guitar, although i ordered it when i was drunk. Best drunken mistake I've ever made!
on 19 December 2012
I've been playing guitar for 10 years however, this was my first acoustic guitar, having only owned and played electric guitars.

First impressions out of the box was just how light it is, it practically weighs nothing, and despite being made of wood it has a very plasticky look and finish. The fretboard is decent and the guitar actually has a nice medium to low action so fretting feels nice, the intonation however, is a little off. Playing past the 12th fret does not sound great. The guitar has 22 frets but only 17 are marked. This may be due to the fact that playing past the 15th fret is nigh on impossible due to the body style. It definitely needs a cutaway body to be able to access the higher frets, this really disappointed me.

The hardware is very basic. The tuning pegs feel a little loose but I must say, despite this, it stays in tune relatively well. It has a plastic nut, a basic wooden bridge and the pickguard appears to just be a plastic decal of sorts.

The neck has a nice comfortable radius making playing easier. However, there is an arch at the base of the neck, that attaches to the body, that definitely hinders playing past the 12th fret. You need to make some uncomfortable, unnatural movements to fully reach them.

All in all, it's an ok guitar for beginners, especially at the price. It's not for experienced players at all. For me, it was an impulse buy because I've been after an acoustic for a while and just pounced on the first that I saw. I would recommend looking around a bit first before deciding on this guitar.
on 3 February 2014
First guitar arrived with multiple defects, dents and scratches. From a playing point of view, the guitar goes out of tune higher up the fretboard. Amazon quickly sent a replacement guitar but was wrong colour, and also had damage scuffs and abrasion marks albeit to a lesser extent. Today arrived the 3rd replacement. The right colour this time, but a big chip out of the headstock and spots in the laqueur mean that I have given up on ever buying a musical instrument from Amazon again. Amazon are refunding my payment and have offered a voucher for £5, which when I take into account the amount of hassle and time spent re-wrapping the instrument and printing out return labels, etc. it's not exactly compensation for the fact that I had bought this guitar for my daughter's birthday (expecting a new procuct in new condition), with all the resulting dissappointment for her and me. The quality control from maker to supplier and Amazon is diabolical.
on 18 October 2015
A starter guitar for my daughter, she loves it and sounds great 🎸🎶👍
review image