5.0 out of 5 stars Masterlock 541E key safe
Bought this key safe to keep long keys in as many alternatives were too small. This is very well built and solid. After the item was bought and installed, I saw the same item for sale in a large DIY centre for over £50. Good price and good product, would recommend.
Published on 13 Aug. 2011 by SteveH

1.0 out of 5 stars Take your chances
Going to keep this shorts and sweet....

Great idea!
Perfect for letting people into your house if your not arround.
Very solid and easy to fit.

unfortunately.....

Published 16 months ago by BenO

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterlock 541E key safe, 13 Aug. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and strong, 19 July 2011
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
I saw some reviews of other key safes where people found them easy to open by the 'feel' of the release catch as the individual numbers found their correct values. This product does not suffer from that weakness- I found no difference between the feel when all 4 numbers were incorrect verses when 3 out of 4 were correct.
The unit is very strong - I would expect it to take a prolonged attack with a sledge hammer to do much damage to it. It is easy to fix to a wall (4 screws provided), and it looks very neat when the front cover is closed.
It's not immediately obvious, but when you get it you have to cut through 2 plastic straps that hold it inside it's plastic packaging. The straps are at the back underneath the paper label. Cutting them enables you to remove the unit from its plastic packaging, and reveal the 4 digit code that will enable you to open it. When you open it, the instruction leaflet is inside.
It is very easy to reset the combination to your chosen numbers when the unit is open.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, 10 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
I had a smaller Masterlock key safe and just to test it mounted it in the garden, quite exposed to the elements where it stayed for a year. When I recently wenbt to it there were no signs of wet inside.

So, I hope this new box, which is being installed in a different place stackis up the same way. It's a neat looking box and kind of blends in, so hopefully it's not too noticeable.

Luckily I had read another review pointing out the need to clip the ties on the back of the packaging! It's worth another remind to say that one the ties are clipped be careful how the packaging is taken off as the initial combination is attached in the back. It's not the usual 0000 default! Changing the combination is easy.

The box itself is quite substantial, but mounting the box was pretty well simplicity itself. Inside the box was a plate that was taken out, held against the wall and the 4 holes marked out. Drill and plug the holes. The plate goes back inside the box and the whole things screwed to the wall.

1.0 out of 5 stars Take your chances, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
Going to keep this shorts and sweet....

Great idea!
Perfect for letting people into your house if your not arround.
Very solid and easy to fit.

unfortunately.....

For me it lasted 8 months before the lock seized up and couldnt open it any more. Now the only way to remove it from the wall is to either knock the wall down or try and angle grind the door of the unit.

Such a shame

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness I read the review about how to get this unpacked, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
The product is exactly what was needed and is strong robust and relatively easy to fit. Thankfully I had read the review "nice unit" by gabitony :-detailing how to get the safe put of its very robust packaging. It can appear quite confusing when the safe arrives and needs opened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very reassuring product for vulnerable people living on their own, 8 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
Supplier was extremely helpful in suggesting this over another model to the one I originally chose which would not have been so suitable. Supplied the next day. Have used it at my elderly mother-in-law's house who has become rather fragile. This product has allowed her and all her family to relax as it means we or medics can gain instant access to her home in an emergency without compromising her independence and privacy at all other times. Thank you very much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frequent Use Achilles Heel, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
This product is of solid construction. It would be harder to force open than most locked doors. Excellent for family secure *emergency stand-by*. I'd give 4 stars on that restricted use HOWEVER, due to a conceptual flaw in the design, it is highly vulnerable if used on a daily basis by Carers etc. I tried one for Daily Carer access to a parent. And then discovered the conceptual flaw. The manufacturers and suppliers should label this type of key safe design as "Best suited to occassional emergency use". I'm sure the manufacturers are aware of the issue! For obvious reasons I will elaborate exact details only to Amazon - whom I'm sure will then post this important review. So - a good value product for emergency stand-by use (4 star). But having a serious Achilles heel for frequent operation by various users (1 star). For that purpose I recommend sticking to product standards such as "Secure by Design" (Police Approved). EDIT BELOW >
In published comment I'm reluctant to be too specific re a security item. But in response to queries here's at least a little detail... If mounted with different fixings - it's pretty decent and fair value for simple standby use. Lock mechanism seems pretty dependable and not easy to beat when used diligently, so long as the unit isn't forced off and taken elsewhere to be "cracked". And in that respect I would (a)not advise use the fixing screws / plugs supplied - they are barely better than that used to mount a hanging basket etc. (b)not advise using the unit in a quiet spot where it's absence could go un-noticed for a day or so.
The issue around using it for frequent daily operation by e.g. multiple carers, concerns the fact that the design can lend itself to (occasional) human error in the locking procedure. And it's when used frequently/casually... there will be increased likelihood of absent minded mistakes that can leave it vulnerable. (Hence for very regular usage do a web search for "key safe secure by design"). I hope all this helps. It's not easy to evaluate some products until you have them paid for and in hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincingly robust and reassuringly secure, 11 Aug. 2014
Thomas Cunliffe "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
I have been worried about keeping my spare key hidden in the garden for some time now, and when I last dug it up, I saw that it had begun to get rusty although it had been kept in a zip-lock plastic bag. I had considered giving a spare key to a neighbour, but what if they were away when I needed it? I began to consider buying a key safe but was worried that it would be too obvious to burglars and they would be able to break into it and take out the key.

I decided in the end to buy the best key-safe I could find, and soon found my way to the Masterlock 5415D as on this page and I have to say, I wish I'd bought it years ago.

I fixed it to the brick wall with the four screw provided, using my own plastic plugs. This has provided a very secure fixing, and even if the burglars managed to jemmy it off the wall, I think they'd find it near-on impossible to break into it. I am completely confident that no burglar would be able to break into it without some serious cutting tools. Its solid feel is very reassuring.

I reset the code to a number of my choosing (very easy to do) and I am now happy that I can leave a complete set of keys on my property without having to worry about where I put them or whether a neighbour will be in to give me my spare set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterlock Key Safe, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
A truly robust and weatherproof Key Safe. Easy to mount on a wall and big enough to take three bunches of keys.
I have mounted mine near to a proximity security light so that the combination keys are easy to see.
Good value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars Really secure key safe, 26 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe (DIY & Tools)
This is the second of these key safes I've purchased and am just about to order a third one. The 1st one I got for my mum when she became forgetful so we could always easily get access to her home in an emergency. At first I was a bit nervous that the safe could be pried off the wall and somehow broken into......how wrong I was. This key safe is extremely strong and robust, and when my mum passed away we tried to get it off the wall to pass on.....not a chance. Setting the code is easy and the flip over casing means the tumblers don't become rusty in the rain. It's relatively easy to fix to the wall, however we did use longer scews just to be on the safe side.

Masterlock 5415D Key Pad Key Safe