5.0 out of 5 stars Here's what's on this box set

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost opportunity
Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Dr Broadcast

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's what's on this box set, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Coals To Newcastle (Audio CD)
I do not yet own this box set. I am interested in buying this box set despite already having everything Orange Juice previously released. I looked at this Amazon page to look at the track-listing and, at the time of writing, the tracks are not in the product information. I tried to update the Amazon page to add in the tracks, but to no avail. This review is mainly to give other customers the chance to see what's on it. I'm rating the box set 5 stars because I am familiar with most of what's on it and, in my opinion, it's all wonderful. From the proto-indie soul of the Postcard years, through to the funk & eclecticism of their final flourish. Fabulous stuff. Congratulations to Domino for putting out such a comprehensive box set. Having read Christian Fletcher's customer review I'm relieved to hear that Domino have also done a good job on the sound, and not compressed it. Now I've seen what's on it, I'm going to be buying it. In the meantime, for those who also want to know what's on it, feast your eyes on these mouth-watering selections....

Disc One: The Glasgow School
19. Wan Light
20. Dying Day
21. Texas Fever
22. Tender Object
23. Poor Old Soul (French version)
24. Poor Old Soul (instrumental version)
25. Simply Thrilled Honey (live)
26. Botswana (live)
27. Time to Develop (live)
28. Blue Boy (live)

-Tracks 1-3 originally released in February 1980 ( Postcard 7" 80-1).
-Track 4 included in some early editions of Postcard 7" 80-1 as a flexi-disc and also available in issue 5 of the Ten Commandments fanzine. The original master tape for this recording (which was a live cassette bootleg recorded by Malcolm Ross) was unable to be located, so a high-quality recording was taken from one of the original flexi-discs and has been included for anthropological purposes.
-Tracks 5, 6 originally released in August 1980 (Postcard 7" 80-2) .
-Tracks 7, 8 originally released in November 1980 (Postcard 7" 80-6).
-Track 9, 10 originally released in March 1981 (Postcard 7" 81-2) .
-Tracks 11-22 recorded in May 1981 and released in September 1992 as Ostrich Churchyard (DUBH 922)
-Tracks 23, 24 originally released in March 1993 (Postcard DUBH 934CD)
-Tracks 25-28 originally released on a limited bonus cassette included with some copies of the "Rip It Up" 7" single (POSP 547) in February 1983 as The Felicity Flexi Session: The Formative Years and come from the same show as track 4 on disc one.

Disc Two: You Can't Hide Your Love Forever
13. In A Nutshell
14. Intuition Told Me, Pt. 2
15. Moscow
16. You Old Eccentric
17. Two Hearts Together (10" version)
18. I Can't Help Myself (7" version)
19. Tongues Begin to Wag
20. Barbeque

-Tracks 1-13 originally released in February 1982 as You Can't Hide Your Love Forever (POLS 1057)
-Tracks 14, 15 originally released in October 1981 as b-sides to the "L.O.V.E. Love" single (POSP 357).
-Track 16 originally released in January 1982 as a b-side to the "Felicity" single (POSP 386).
-Track 17 originally released in August 1982 (POSP 470).
-Tracks 18-20 originally released in October 1982 (POSP 522)

Disc Three: Rip It Up
07. Flesh Of My Flesh
08. Louise Louise
09. Hokoyo
10. Tenterhook
11. Rip It Up (12" version)
12. Snake Charmer
13. Lovesick
14. Flesh Of My Flesh (7" version)
15. Lord John White And The Bottleneck Train (12" version)
16. Flesh Of My Flesh (12" version)
17. All That Ever Mattered

-Tracks 1-10 originally released in November 1982 as Rip It Up (POLS 1076)
-Tracks 11-13 originally released in February 1983 (POSP 547).
-Tracks 14-16 originally released in May 1983 (OJ 4).

Disc Four: Texas Fever
01. Bridge
02. Craziest Feeling
03. Punch Drunk
04. The Day I Went Down To Texas
05. A Place In My Heart
06. A Sad Lament
07. Out For The Count
08. Bridge (Summer '83 version)
09. Poor Old Soul (new version)
10. Leaner Period
11. Move Yourself
12. The Day I Went To Texas (flexi version)
13. I Feel A Song Coming On [Craziest Feeling]
14. Bridge
15. The Day I Went To Texas
16. A Place In My Heart
17. Out For The Count
18. Chinese Eyes [Punch Drunk]

-Tracks 1-6 originally released in March 1984 as Texas Fever (OJMLP 1)
-Tracks 7, 8 originally released in February 1984 as b-sides to the "Bridge" single (OJ 5).
-Track 9 included in some copies of OJ 5 as a flexi-disc.
-Tracks 10, 11 originally released in March 1998 as part of the CD re-issue of Texas Fever (539 982)
-Track 12 was given away in March 1983 as a free flexi-disc included in copies of Melody Maker.
-Tracks 13-18 are previously unreleased mixes of tracks from the Texas Fever recording sessions.

Disc Five: The Orange Juice
07. Out For The Count
08. Get While The Gettings Good
09. All That Ever Mattered
10. Salmon Fishing In New York
11. What Presence?! (12" version)
12. A Place In My Heart (12" dub version)
13. In A Nutshell (live)
14. Simply Thrilled Honey (live)
15. Dying Day (live)
16. Bury My Head In My Hands
17. Lean Period (12" dub version)
18. Rip It Up (live)
19. What Presence?! (live)
20. Burning Desire ("Alexis" mix)

-Tracks 1-10 originally released in November 1984 as The Orange Juice (OJHP 2)
-Tracks 11, 12 originally released in April 1984 (OJ 6).
-Tracks 13-15 included in some copies of OJ 6 as a limited edition cassette.
-Tracks 16,17 originally released in October 1984 b-sides to the "Lean Period" single (OJ 7).
-Tracks 18,19 included in some copies of OJ 7 as a limited edition flexi-disc.

Disc Six: BBC Sessions
17. Salmon Fishing In New York
18. Bridge
19. BBC interview part one
20. BBC interview part two

-Tracks 1-4 taken from the first session recorded for John Peel, October 1980.
-Tracks 5-7 taken from a session recorded for Mike Read, January 1981.
-Tracks 8-11 taken from the second session recorded for John Peel, August 1981.
-Tracks 12-15 taken from the first session recorded for Kid Jensen, April 1982.
-Tracks 16-18 taken from the second session recorded for Kid Jensen, February 1984.
-Tracks 19, 20 taken from an interview conducted by Richard Skinner at The BBC in February 1983.

Disc Seven: Dada With (The) Juice
Rip It Up (music video)
What Presence?! (music video, directed by Derek Jarman)
Rip It Up (Old Grey Whistle Test, originally aired October 8th, 1982)
I Can't Help Myself (Old Grey Whistle Test, originally aired October 8th, 1982)
What Presence? (Old Grey Whistle Test, originally aired December 11th, 1984)
Out For The Count (Old Grey Whistle Test, originally aired December 11th, 1984)

Dada With (The) Juice:
The Day I Went Down To Texas
All That Ever Mattered / Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars All Juiced Up, 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: Coals To Newcastle (Audio CD)
...I bought this as I was a bit of a fan of this band for a short period...I found it a fantastic set of songs...liner notes were excellent and it was good to hear proper music from the 80's..not the Culture Club/Duran sanitised version of the 80's that is peddled out there now...I strongly recommend this....

4.0 out of 5 stars If only Domino had understood: Less Is More, 18 Jan 2011
M. Evers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coals To Newcastle (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Orange Juice and would place them in my top 10 of favourite bands. However, for the last 10 years or so their music has only existed for me inside my head.

I emigrated from the UK and could not take my vinyl or cassettes with me and so had to get rid of my Orange Juice collection mainly via eBay. In the years since I have found it strangely difficult to re-buy this stuff on CD - until now.

First the good: this box has all the original LPs and they sound great and are reasonably well packaged with a fairly standard rock biog text thing. It has been quite a joy to listen to these properly again after so long. there is also a DVD to watch which I haven't actually seen yet as I do not usually like these things much (I find watching music a bit boring) but others very well may enjoy.

Now the bad: In creating this box set I can only imagine that Domino have decided to include every single thing Orange Juice ever did. I find it hard to believe there is anything left over. While some of this bonus content is nice indeed it is a shame that it has to all be tagged on to other albums CD space, so you end up listening to repeated versions of the same tracks and sometimes it is impossible to tell the versions apart. Worse still are the 80's 12" extended remixes. These were popular in the 80s and made some kind of sense for dance music but always looked stupid for guitar based rock.

So, for me this set is good-but-could-have-been-great. The Radio 1 sessions have been pooled together into a separate CD rather than being liberally splashed around the other CDs so that is some consolation.

I think they should have left the LPs as they were, and put together a single CD of the singles excluding 12" remixes and live versions. Despite my irritation with the structure of this package (I think The Beatles got it right with their 'no bonus tracks' policy) the music shines through and I am very happy to hear this music again after so long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time coming! An excellent collection and a must buy!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Coals To Newcastle (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful package from one of the greatest British indie bands of our time. Firstly, you get so much for your money! 6 cds and a bonus DVD of classic OJ footage including their legendary performance on The Old Grey Whistle Test. It's very well packaged, and the booklet is beautifully illustrated and informative. The music is glorious, it covers all bases including the seminal 'Glasgow School' album.
I have purchased numerous box sets in the past of similar artists, but have not been this satisfied or fulfilled in a long time. It's clear the makers are as passionate about this retrospective as the band and their fans. Coals To Newcastle is simply head and shoulders above any other reissue this year! It's a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mighty Majestic Orange Juice, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Coals To Newcastle (Audio CD)
I'll admit a certain bias here - I LOVE Orange Juice and have done from almost day one.I still think their debut album was one of pop's finest moments. So it shouldn't come as a surprise either that I think this boxed set is absolutely fantastic and no home should be without one. I can now finally have almost everything in one place and not scattered all over the house on vinyl and cassette. It is wonderfully presented and a thing of beauty and pleasure. Just seen Edwyn live in Brighton and Paris and pondering a hat-trick at his Brussels appearance soon. One of music's genuine heroes. This is where it all began and hopefully more people will become acquainted with his fine body of work. Brilliant!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost opportunity, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Coals To Newcastle (Audio CD)
The producers of this box set were certainly well-meaning. But they didn't do the subject any justice. Every production detail of this box set misses the spirit of Orange Juice. Like totally. This could as well be a Bryan Adams box set. The liner notes are nice, the so-called "bonus tracks" are lame, especially the later BBC sessions. Founding member/spiritus rectus James Kirk - the most important OJ member next to Edwyn - is hardly visible on the cover photograph. It's a detail like this that says a lot about the production of this box set. No OJ artwork stylistics are kept at all. The design is uninspired and boring. So typical for a Domino release. For hardcore OJ fans this set is a disappointment. The single album CD reissues - some years ago - were far better produced. They also had new liner notes and bonus tracks. I'd recommend those instead of this.

ARRAY(0xa834ae7c)

Coals To Newcastle
Coals To Newcastle by Orange Juice (Audio CD - 2010)