Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.25

on 6 February 2011
An excellent thriller! The plot moves at a fast pace and is engaging almost from the off. I was surprised that the book had not achieved a higher profile, as although I am not a prolific thriller reader, I have dabbled with Ludlum and the like, and thought this was a match for most of what I had read.
The characters are well developed and it's easy to like the heroes and dislike the villains! Agent Carver would give Jason Bourne a run for his money, and I look forward to further works from Mr Tyree. A very strong debut and throughly recommended!
on 5 March 2011
To play on what another reviewer's comparison about Ludlum's Bourne books, Line of Succession reads much like a well-crafted action film. The opening sequence delivers a bit of shocking, disorienting action, and is followed by a first act of investigative footwork by the hero, Blake Carver. Once the second act starts, it's all rapid-fire action with bits of social-political history woven in. The research in this book separates it from most of the junk food in this genre.
on 10 March 2014
If you're willing to swallow the fat bolus of implausibility that is the plot of this novel, you'll still have a mountain to climb if you're to join other readers on this page who have contributed encomiastic reviews. I guess they're easily pleased for, whilst the story has pace, it lacks any characterisation whatever. My two-year-old's lego figures have greater depth than the cardboard cut-outs who fight it out on the pages of Line of Succession. None of them has any back-story or hinterland and their emotional range extends between patriotic, or not patriotic. Nothing more.

I persevered to the end with this book for no other reason than having invested the time to get halfway trough it. The denouement is farcical, with elements of physical impossibility. I nearly abandoned it with ten pages to go. Not worth the read.
on 25 February 2011
So glad to have found this terrific new voice. A satisfying departure from the usual genre conventions, and a quick, smart read at that. It seems this book has made more of a splash in the states, as it is timely and actually quite scary considering the wave of regime changes across the mideast. I saw on another site that it both "read like a movie" and was "realistic" - thought that paradox very unlikely, but now I'm with you, it's both. Highly recommended.
on 30 May 2016
good story and kept me hooked
on 1 May 2014
This is a great thriller. I usually read thrillers during my train trips as the journey goes faster when you are reading something interesting. I found the book very fascinating and engaging. The novel is about spies, thrillers, insiders, theories the president and how Islamic terrorists are captured. It captures the mood of the current political environment. What goes on in the inner circles of power is difficult to understand and why government take certain actions is even more difficult to understand. You must read this novel if you like such stuff. I liked the story very much.
on 16 June 2011
Having enjoyed one of Mr. Tyree's short stories in Harvard Review a few years ago, I was intrigued upon seeing that he had jumped to commercial fiction. I read the first hundred pages of Line of Succession in just one sitting (quite a feat for me). I struggle with another reader's comparison of Tyree with Daniel Silva. This is far more in the direction of a conspiracy thriller, with loads of action, than a traditional spy thriller. Many twists, many red herrings. There is a nice little romance involving a secondary character that is far from cliche. And the final chapters were joyously unpredictable.
on 27 May 2011
Tyree imagines how a military coup in America could happen with the aid of a massive private security firm (like the ones being used all over the globe at present). This is a very well-researched thriller with lots of history woven into the plot. It's not without its light bits as well, which is something sorely lacking in fiction these days.

To be honest I had every expectation of this being an entertaining and bombastic read, but I did not expect it to be thoughtful or have any depth whatsoever. I was wrong about that. I put it up against anything Tom Clancy has written in the past decade, and it would be a much better use of time than the Bourne or Bond sequels they are cranking out now without Ludlum and Fleming at the helm.
on 7 June 2016
Good read
on 2 February 2014
Wow Fantastic book totally worthy of 5* reviews. Can't wait to read The Fellowship, so glad I've discovered this author.