5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality, highly specialised lens, 17 Dec 2011
Mr. M. A. Spridgeon (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens (Accessory)
The Canon EF 8-15mm F4 L Fisheye lens has a professional feel to it straight out of the box, without being too big or heavy.
It comes with a lens cover, hood and basic case, although I am not convinced that many people will actually transport such a lens in a cheap case like the one provided.
The hood has an added release button to stop it moving around on the lens or being positioned over the wrong part on the lens (the hood can show in some pictures). The cover is like the one on the Canon F2.8 L 14mm lens. With a convex lens you don't want to be walking around for long without this cover on.

The circular images are very wacky, whilst the full frame images are amazingly wide.
There probably aren't a whole host of uses for these lenses, but they will help you get perspectives you can't achieve with standard lenses. I find my best images are coming from being very, very close to my subject.

If you can splash the cash I would recommend this lens, but not until you have a full set of standard lenses in your kit bag first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun lens with supreme quality, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens (Accessory)
This lens opens up horizons, literally. Very good build. The quality of the pictures on my 5DII are excellent, fine detail and good colours. You can create all sorts of pictures from circular 8mm to normal diagonal pictures at 15mm. You do however need to be careful not to curl your horizons. You need to be careful to keep yourself out of the pictures. I have taken some really exciting curved shots. You can get a really good landscape at 15mm, if you are careful.

A simple wide angle may suit some folk better and it would be easier to control from the flat horizon perspective. The cover is a bit fidlly. Filters, if used fit in the back of the mount.

All in all this lens is very good and I would recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant WA, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens (Accessory)
I must say i have no regrets in buying this lens, its a crazy crazy lens that works actually very very well on my 7d, at 15mm i get a very wide angle which with careful composition can be used in a variety of ways.

I typically set the limiter so that i avoid optical vignjetting onb my 7d, this equates to a focal range of 10-15mm.

Honestly cant understand the complaints ive read on fred miranda and others which complain about the hood and lens cap, if you put the lens cap on properlky its solid as a small bullbog made of osmium, i think perhaps its easy to put the cap on improperly thus causing problems.

Ok, IQ wise!

Centre quality at any focal length @F4 IS little short of stunning, its easily as sharp as my 24mm f/1.4 l II was at the same aperture......which ids basically to say IMO one fo the sharpest lenses ive ever tried.

Edge quality is ok wide open and improves upon stoipping down, but due to the distortion it doesnt reach the near legendary levels of the centre.

One could say this lens is a one trick pony, and yes, in ways it is, but TBH so is every lens, the only difference is this lens's "trick" is easily visible, which to me basically says I need to work hard to utilise its skills without making cliche shots.

Build quality is basically perfect, a good mixture of metal and high quality plastics.

I bought this whilst selling some of my older lenses, and bought this at the same time as getting a 17-40mm L, I have to say the two of them compliment themselves quite well.

AS A crop sensor user i can say that it does indeed work very well and isnt a wasted lens, admitedly you dont get the full circular fisheye effect on a crop, but for me personally its working well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens (Accessory)
So long as you know why you need this lens, you won't be disappointed. Very sharp and the angle is a clear 180deg, maybe more.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great lens!, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens (Accessory)
If you own a Canon and want to get more into your picture this is the lens. It was great when taking pictures of the Northern Lights. Getting in the land and the heavens

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality piece of kit, shame about the service, 24 Jan 2012
Paul Roberts (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens (Accessory)
Well what can I say. This lens is a revelation and a sure fire spark for your creativity. The angle of view of 180 degrees far surpasses even ultra wide offerings from Canon (for example at 10mm on a Canon 10-22mm you are only getting a FOV of around 100 degrees, where as at 10mm on the 8-15mm you get virtually 180 degree coverage!)

In terms of build quality the lens is as expected, rugged and well built, and whilst the front element does protrude & can't be protected by a filter, as long as you are careful you shouldn't have too many worries. The lens is coated to allow easier cleaning and in practice this seems to be the case.

Whilst many reviews around the internet have found fault with the lens caps habit of falling off at the slightest brush, I can honestly say I've not found that to be the case. As long as you take the time to secure it properly on both sides it should be ok. It has yet to come off in my bag.

I've been using the lens on crop sensor 7D so I can't comment on the full circular fisheye element (I'm waiting on a 5D Mark iii for this), but the rectelinear fisheye at the long end is very usable, with fairly minimal distortion if aligned properly. Detail right out to the edges is very impressive, although there is some CA to clean up in post, but this is to be expected.

So whilst this is a great lens, for once Amazon let me down. Having chose 1st Class delivery, it took over 6 days to reach me, and for an item I've just spent 1100 on that simply isn't good enough. The item was shown as in stock so I was not anticipating any issue. So I'd suggest if you anticipate needing the lens quickly, order it earlier than you think!

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens