5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!
Definitely great value for money!! I am loving my new version of Corel - upgraded from X2.
There are a lot of added benefits and programmes included in this version that would cost heaps more money if bought separately - Incomedia; KPT plug in's and Painter Essentials are all included for free.
I really don't think you would be disappointed......
Published on 14 Feb 2011 by Sacha

1.0 out of 5 stars COREL SHOULD BE DEEPLY ASHAMED
I enjoyed using Paint Shop Pro, back when it was owned by JASC in the mid-to-late 90s.

My view is that this package is stupid and overpriced. The 'Ultimate' nonsense is blatant marketing BS.

Pay very close attention to the EULA, which you MUST agree to, before the software installs:

1.19.3 You hereby acknowledge and consent to Corel:...
Published on 21 Feb 2011 by LJD

1.0 out of 5 stars COREL SHOULD BE DEEPLY ASHAMED, 21 Feb 2011
LJD (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

1.19.3 You hereby acknowledge and consent to Corel:
- monitoring your Use of the Product,
- authenticating and periodically verifying your licensing rights in the Product,
- collecting, transmitting, using, and sharing with Corel's third party marketing partners, data relating to you and your Use of the Product for advertising, marketing, operational and other purposes, accessing, utilizing and altering the existing functionality, including any default settings, of the computer system on which you Use the Product, and receiving in-Product messages from Corel and its third party marketing partners,all in accordance with Corel's Privacy Policy

This is UTTERLY, UTTERLY unacceptable. Paying customers should not have to agree to have their data collected like this. They are totally exploiting the fact that most people do not read through all this legalese. You expect this sort of thing from cheapy/free products, not from a premium product.

Get Adobe Photoshop Elements instead, its cost is comparable, and you are less likely to get a Spyware (or pseudo-spyware) product.

(For testing purposes, I did install this. It suppose it works quite well, shame about the pop-ups)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: PaintShop Photo Pro Ultimate X3 (CD-ROM)
I really don't think you would be disappointed......

4.0 out of 5 stars Far superior to many cheaper (or free) alternatives, 22 Feb 2011
Mark R. Bannister (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used PaintShop Pro back in the early days, so it was nice to get my hands on the product again and put it through its paces. What struck me was how little had changed since the 90s, most of the tools were the same ones I used back then, although with some useful added extras. The interface looks smart in places, while in other places looks really dated. Some of the controls are therefore slightly cumbersome to use, and quite a number don't have a preview capability. There are still little annoyances now, even 15 years on, that I would have thought they'd have fixed by now. For example, the "Sharpen" and "Sharpen More" tools which don't allow you to specify by what degree you would like to sharpen, and still no clear ability to select (or re-select) areas of a specific size, or make minor adjustments to cropped areas.

However, despite the old annoyances, I am impressed, and have always been, by the wide range of tools, effects and filters that are available. I have recently used the product to rescue some old black-and-white photos of relatives, clean them up, add colour to them, cut them out and place them on new backgrounds. This allowed me to try out the Scratch Remover tool, for example, which can also remove telephone lines from photos and works very well. The Colour Changer tool is really rather good at adding skin tones back to an old black-and-white face, while the Object Extractor tool is a much less painful way of cutting someone out of their existing backdrop, and placing them on a new background.

I still love the old tools of course, the Smudge tool is always handy for covering up imperfections or blending in cuts, while combining the Magic Wand and Freehand Selection tools makes selecting practically any object or shape a doddle. The tools are grouped into categories on the toolbar, which is helpful, because there are too many to sensibly display in a single pane.

I have previously lacked confidence in using layers with graphics applications in the past, because other products have made them so complicated to use, but PaintShop Pro makes it easy, and I found myself using and manipulating layers naturally - the way it should be done.

It's nice that the product comes with a printed user manual, and the online help documentation is very useful, especially the help messages that explain how to use the tool you have just selected. This does make PaintShop Photo Pro a product that is relatively easy to use, without losing any of its power.

Re-branding the product to make it more appealing to camera enthusiasts and especially DSLR owners, due to its ability to manipulate RAW images, is probably a good tactical move. It is well worth investigating this product if you've been disappointed with the lack of power that many similar and cheaper products bring you (and especially the freebies that are shipped on CDs with new cameras). PaintShop Pro is far superior to many of the photo editing tools that have emerged over recent years, because it has its roots as a general graphics editing package and is not just targetted at photography.

I will be using PaintShop Photo Pro as my main graphics editing package from now on, and am very pleased to have become re-acquainted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Photo Software & Easy to Use, 22 May 2011
L. Hutchinson (Newcastle Upon Tyne, Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As has been the case with many other reviewers, I have been a user of Paintshop for many years. Not, I may add, in a strictly professional basis. I have either used it to brush up old photos to make them look as good as possible or to make pictures look more impressive for a blog I write up.

However, in the past there have been instances I thought that the choice of tools was somewhat disappointing. However, with this product I finally come across the plethora of tools I have wanted without it being overly complicated to apply to the image.

I am impressed with this product and would recommend it. To give you just a flavour on what is on offer here is a list:
1. It has powerful yet easy-to-use photo editing
2. 24 creative image effect filters
3. Easily organise, edit, and share high-quality photos
4. RAW Lab; Express Lab provides easy, powerful photo editing; remove objects with Smart Carver

It of course offers a great deal more. It also has a wizard setup to help you create a website in 5 easy steps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate photo editing software. Nothing special thou., 3 April 2011
Clashcity Rocker "Clashcity Rocker" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's really hard to review this software, as high end, you have Photoshop, which is clearly considerably more expensive (and far more capable than this), and at the low end you have Paint.Net and the like, which are very usable and free. In the middle you have a very crowded market of lots of similar products trying to compete. The results of this are that you have products like this that try and bundle everything under the sun to try and offer perceived added-value, but really just muddying the water of what the CORE product is. There is nothing really wrong with this product, it does what it claims, and the problem is that it lacks focus, and the user interface is pretty dismal with a VERY overcrowded feel, and this was my major problem.

Finding how to do seemingly straightforward tasks was often a chore. I also found the need to jump in and out of express lab and organiser rather confusing (and frustrating, as it was rather slow even on my quad-core machine, there was glaring inconsistencies in the user interface.
It's not all bad however, I did like the Smart Carver tool and got some good looking results from editing out unwanted items from my pictures, and the RAW camera format support is VERY good. These two items are really the real selling points of this package I feel.

As it stands, there is alot in here, but it feels cluttered. I'm sure given perseverance you could come to like (but never love) this package, it's got a very reasonable asking price, and the functionality whilst feeling a bit disjointed does actually perform the required tasks.
I thought long and hard about the star rating on this, I couldn't give it a 4, but felt a 2 was rather unjust, as i'm sure there are seasoned Paintshop Pro fans that will jump in and feel right at home, but for me, this package did not fully click.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than ever but not sure it is any better, 20 Feb 2011
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always used Paint Shop Pro since version 7 for adjusting and re-sizing my scanned images and digital camera pictures.
Having started with Paint Shop Pro I found its rival Adobe PhotoShop more confusing to use so stuck with it.
Unfortunately all versions after version 7 have tried to emulate Adobe Photoshop and have themselves become just as confusing to me.
I now have version 7 on my PC when I want to do something productive but also the latest version just for experimentation.
I think Corel too have realised that something simpler is welcomed as you can select an option called "Express Lab" which will cope with most adjustments or the option to switch to the Full Editor.
This version PaintShop Photo Pro Ultimate X3 has grown to 2.5Gb in your Program Files and even with my fairly high spec PC running Windows 7 it is struggling at times. I have also had the dreaded "not responding" error message and lost half completed images.
The addition of Corel Painter Essentials 4 , Incomedia Website X5 Special edition (a website design program) and a Corel KPT collection of special effects make this the Ultimate collection for the moment. I fully expect the addition of video editing at any time as version numbers increase in response to Corel marketing.
A major plus for me was the inclusion in the boxed edition of a 130 page printed User Guide in addition to the massive .pdf file.
I dont like the trend for black borders and menus that seem to be compulsory on all photo and editing suites.
Overall I like it but I am not sure it is significantly better than Paint Shop Pro Photo X1 which can now be bought for bargain prices.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget alternative to Photoshop, 19 Feb 2011
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using both Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro for many years - in the case of PSP since version 5, when it was a shareware product from Jasc Software. It's always been Photoshop's budget cousin, but it has always seemed to me, certainly in the early days, to be more of a bitmap creation tool than a photo manipulation tool. If I need to create graphics for applications or web pages, Paint Shop Pro is my first choice of tool - I'd hate to try and create a picture from scratch in Adobe Photoshop. At the same time, for manipulating images from cameras and the like, Photoshop has always been the default choice.

Since Corel acquired PSP, they seem to have been steadily ramping up the Photoshop-type features in it (and have added the word "Photo" to the name as a result), to the point where this version seems to be a reasonable alternative to Photoshop. I certainly can't find anything that I regularly do in Photoshop that this package can't handle, and the addition of the word "Photo" to the title seems well-justified. Fortunately, this isn't at the cost of PSP's ability to create images from scratch, which is still, as far as I can see, all present and correct.

Photoshop costs a small fortune - PSP is a great deal cheaper, and for most people will be all they ever need in a photo editing package. It's a very useful tool to have on your PC, very good value, and comes thoroughly recommended if you want to create your own graphics, or if you can't stretch to the cost of Photoshop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 21 Oct 2011
Peri Urban "periurban" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just to be clear, upon installation the splash screen declared this version of the software to be Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 Ultimate. The version number was shown as v13.2.1.7

Sadly, the only thing "ultimate" about it was that it will be the last Corel software I have anything to do with. Many years ago I struggled with one of the earlier iterations of the CorelDRAW software. It was buggy and badly optimised, and the signs are not good that anything has changed.

I'd love to be able to give a full review of this product, but my experience with it ended very early.

The box comes with a DVD containing PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (Ultimate?), PaintShop Photo Project Creation, Painter Essentials 4 and the KPT Collection. There is also a CD containing WebSite X5 Special Edition (which I didn't attempt to install).

The install routine is painful, requiring each program to be installed separately, with the primary serial number needing to be input twice. There is a separate serial number for Painter Essentials 4. At no point does the install routine help with what the various programs do.

The install will spend some time configuring Direct X, as part of a lengthy process that installs around 2.35gb to your hard disk.

Also inside the box is a quick start guide and a larger manual. The quick start guide was particularly unhelpful, and was little more than an overview of obvious functions.

However, the train quickly came off the rails when I tried to run PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (Ultimate?) on my Windows 7 machine. It simply would not run past opening the workspace. The grey UI just sat there looking at me glumly until Windows reported back to me several minutes later that the program had died.

Now, in all fairness, it may have been working away cataloguing my large photo collection (41,000 files adding up to 260gb), but it was impossible to tell. There was no sign of activity other than a gently ticking hard disk.

That is where my review (such as it is) has to end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid photo editing and management, 27 Feb 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Many years ago I downloaded and registered Version 4 of this software, and I still occasionally use it. Having moved into digital photography more in recent years, I was interested in seeing whether this, Version 13, was really that much more powerful.

Installation was a breeze - but it took its time - installation is SLOW. The package comes as various different applications; each of which needs to be installed separately, but this is made easy enough by following the installation wizard. Installation required the serial number to be input multiple times, and the painter requires its own serial number. Once installed, the software runs well with no glitches so far.

Photo Pro X3 is probably the main reason to purchase this software and allows simple or advanced editing or tweaking of photos. X3 recognises standard JPEG format as well as multiple RAW formats including the Nikon NEF format

I am particularly impressed with some of the "basic" features aimed at beginners such as myself. The straighten tool works really well for images that might require a strong vertical alignment (buildings and the like) - or where there is a slightly sloping horizon. I know I should fix this when taking the photo - but hey! The straightening tool is so easy to use. I was also impressed with the One Step Photo Fix - handy when you don't know what to improve on an image. The resulting images can look much better - shadows can be less invasive and the overall picture clear.

I have taken some sporting pictures in poor light and these have appeared grainy - there is even a one-step tool to remove digital camera noise - and it is impressive.

The project creator makes the creation of content for YouTube really straightforward - allowing slideshows to be turned into video content for sharing with friends online. There are many other options including templates for cards, collages, calendars and photo books.

This is a strong product line up. With most of the everyday tools working well in auto mode I was impressed with the quality of the fixed photos. The other features integrate well into this product too.

I will be using X3 as my digital photo management tool from now on.

2.0 out of 5 stars This upgrade/new version is a joke, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: PaintShop Photo Pro Ultimate X3 (CD-ROM)
I agree with the above sentiments. I have been a PSP user since it was first published by JASC and when I had my own IT business I used to train people on the product as well as using it professionally. However with their continuous releases I have found their marketing tiresome and expensive so I shall probably move to Adobe PSx, at least they seem to care more about their Clients investments. I am not saying Corel are a bad company or their products are bad..... far from it, they are great. But continuous frivolous upgrades and updates are not my scene. I just hope someone from Corel is reading these reviews.

PaintShop Photo Pro Ultimate X3
PaintShop Photo Pro Ultimate X3 by Corel (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock