5.0 out of 5 stars Great mid-range DSLR
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by Lumpster

2.0 out of 5 stars grip came off as soon as I took it out of the box
The 60D was my second dslr in the space of a couple of weeks. The 1st being a Pentax K7 that went back for refund to Jessops because of purple and green banding on pictures. I decided to spend more money and order the 60D from Amazon because I've used Canon 35mm film cameras for years with no problems.

However, I didn't shoot a single frame with the 60D because...
Published on 3 Feb 2011 by pils

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mid-range DSLR, 29 Dec 2010
Lumpster (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
OK, I had a Canon EOS 400D that had served me well for nearly 3 years (and I had a 300D before that) and was looking to upgrade it, but I couldn't decide between a 550D or a much more expensive 7D. Then the 60D was launched and from the reviews I read, it filled the gap perfectly between the two. As ever, launch pricing was really toppy at over £1k but I took the plunge just before Christmas 2010 and bought the 60D (with the 18-55 IS kit lens) for a great price of £799.

It's still fairly early days but so far, so good. The camera is a dream to use, images are razor sharp. Handling is easier than the lower spec DSLRs in Canon's range due to the fact that the 60D is a slightly bigger, bulkier machine but without this being a negative. If you are familiar with a Canon DSLR, all of the controls and features are logical and easy to use without having to trawl through the manual. The tiltable screen is a work of genius, especially the fact that you can store the screen facing into the camera for even more protection when not in use. You can also tilt the screen and take shots based on the screen view if, for example, you are taking shots with the camera held above your head to get a clear view.

I primarily use my old 28-135mm IS USM Canon lens and image quality is fantastic. I have also bought a Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom and again it seems to produce great results. I am using Class 10 SDHC cards (whereas my previous 2 Canon DSLRs used Compact Flash) and the speed is lightning fast - I have bought a couple of the Transcend ones from Amazon and they seem to do a remarkably good job for a lot less money than the competition. Only time will tell if they prove to be reliable...

The only downside is that my camera was supplied with an old version of firmware installed (v5), which needed updating (to v8) to cure a quirk with over-exposure when using certain lensses (and the two lenses mentioned above were included in this list). I went through the whole firmware update process in a mild panic but it was a remarkably pain-free experience.

Overall, the 60D is a great mid-range camera and a worthy upgrade from my 400D. The 60D strikes the perfect balance for me in that it offers more functionality / flexibility than the 550D but without the complexity of the more advanced 7D. I am fairly loyal to Canon gear but I did look around at the Nikon equivalents before making my purchase - however, I ruled out Nikon as you just seem to get more for your money with Canon. Also worth saying that the lens/flashgun I already had are compatible with the 60D. The next step for me is properly testing out the camera's HD video capability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 60D, 21 Jan 2011
I had my trusty EOS 300D for five years and although it never let me down I was itching to upgrade.

I looked at and handled both the 7D and 60D but was undecided until the price difference made up my mind.
I opted for the 60D and can honestly say I have no regrets.The images I get from my 17-85 IS and my 70-300 IS are amazing.

Shoot in RAW and process in seconds with the camera,a great boon when out in the field.

The menu might look a bit much at first glance but with time all becomes clear.

Before I sign off,the video shooting is also top class,all in all a great bit of gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera Deal + Amazons Superb Service, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Inc EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
After doing lots of on-line research, I decided to treat myself to this Canon 60D Kit for xmas from Amazon, I also ordered the 50mm 1.4 prime lens and a few other bits.

I've been into Photography for about 40yrs, my previous DSLR's include the 550D and Nikon D90.
There may be cheaper options on a certain auction site, if you don't mind having a grey import model, personally I value having that Canon UK warranty, and a proper UK power supply etc. already in the box.

Amazons price for a UK Stock model is very competitive indeed, and their returns policy is excellent, if only for peace of mind. The camera itself is superb, and works perfectly, it produces brilliant images, feels top quality in the hands, with a fantastic articulating high res lcd screen. What more could you ask for.

The 18-135mm lens in this kit is not top of the range, however, it produces some very good results especially once stopped down a little, and IMO it may be a touch sharper than the much older USM 17-85mm lens. The glass in the 18-135 is not too bad at all, and you have that extra range, albeit at the loss of the USM, so a matter of personal choice.
It's also a nice walkabout lens giving you decent range yet still retaining the option for those wider shots, build quality also appears a little better than the cheaper 18-55mm. It appears to focus quicker, and seems a little quieter than the 18-55mm kit lens..JMO

Those that can afford it may appreciate the extra quality by choosing the 15-85mm lens, but I don't think you will be disappointed by the images this kit produces. I would also recommend the purchase of the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4, you will be blown away by the IQ that can be achieved with both these prime lens, as ultimately any camera is only as good as the lens you put on it.

I can highly recommend this item from Amazon 9.5/10

Why Amazon? Well besides the reasons I've already mentioned above, if you have a issue, you can call them on their free support number, or email them and in my experience they will always endevour to resolve any issue one may have, without any hassle. IOW, as big as they are, Amazon is aware the customer has choices to shop elswhere, and will go that extra mile to secure your custom, and their customer service is first class. This is a company that deserves to succeed. Thank you Amazon!.

I would however like to see Amazon.. pack expensive items such as DSLR camera etc, a little better. Just plonking them inside a larger box with a small amount of crushed paper for cushioning is not really enough. They still move about a lot in the box, so, a little extra care in this area would be assuring from a customers point of view anyway, with most items it does'nt matter, but with expensive fragile kit like this, having the item not rolling around in the box would be appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superior camera, 25 Dec 2011
Deepak (Wolves, UK) - See all my reviews
Moving up from Canon 350D type camera, this one is a significant step up. The ability to use high ISO and still get decent photos is a plus. It synchronises flash up to 1/250 sec - good for freezing action indoors. Feels a bit heavier but much more versatile. Expensive, but good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 17 Mar 2011
Have had this camera for a few weeks now and all I can say is WOW! Everything is so easy to use, the flip out screen makes taking awkward shots incredibly easy and the level of manual control is amazing! In addition, the whole feel of the body, from the grips, to the balance and general handling are superb!

The EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens is also a fantastic product, the range it gives really allows for a wide variety of shots. I was concerned with the supposed barrel distortion at the wide angle range, but after taking a few shots with it I have found it is not as pronounced as I thought it might be.

Lastly, the video is also as excellent as has been reported, images recorded at either 1080p25 or 720p50 are clear and crisp through the kit lens. However should you wish for a softer, more "cinematic" image, the extensive range of 'Prime' lenses available from Canon (or lots of other lens manufacturers via lens adapters) are at your disposal.

I would highly recommend this camera to anyone looking to move a step up from an entry level DSLR (like the 550D or D3100) and doesn't feel the need to shell out for the 7D as, to be honest, the rewards gained by moving up to that level aren't enough to justify the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 60D Camera, 2 Dec 2010
B. Hamzah "Hamzah" (UK) - See all my reviews
I just upgraded from a 20D to a 60D and have had it for only about 2 weeks. I did contemplate on a 7D, but the 60D came just in time. I am glad I did not get the 7D and the previous reviewer mentioned about the weight and lack of swivel screen. My 20D had an alloy body and lot heavier than the plastic body 60D. I did not get put off by the plastic body as the 60D do feel solid, really. I'd put the 60D as better value for money.

I did not buy the 60D for the video, but I did have a go but noticed the video at the full 1080 HD bit 'jerky'. I am not sure if its the card as I am using a transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card. I will be getting a Class 10 card soon and see if it makes any difference.

As for photos, the camera is brilliant even a high 6400 ISO. Not tried the full 12800 yet. One thing is annoying though, I use Adobe CS3 for photo processing and that now does not support 60D RAW images. Adobe only supports CS4 and above for 60D RAW images. However, all is not lost as you can get Adobe RAW to PNG converters. Also, the canon utility software provided is excellent too.

Another annoying thing is that on live view it does seem to take longer at focussing compared to focussing through the viewfinder. As I have not had live view before, I am not sure if its an issue with the 60D or if its the same with all other cameras with live view.

Question is, do I get better photos? Not sure yet, but what I get is more flexibility, for example I don't have to crouch on the ground to get low shots, thanks to the swivel screen and live view. Also high ISO give me more flexibility of low light conditions and I may not need to get the expensive fast lens I was thinking of getting.

I am still giving it a 5 star as I am very very pleased with it so far...

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning piece of kit, 25 April 2011
M. A. Stokes (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After 5 or 6 years with my Canon 350D I thought the time was right for upgrading.

I compared the 60D to the 7D and decided that I didn't need the additional capabilities of the 7D (more frames per second, magnesium alloy body, etc)

After a couple of months use I am happy I made the right choice.

The quality of picture that comes out if the camera is so much better than the 350D.

I get more post shoot crop ability due to the higher number of megapixels.

The noise handling is SO much better (one of my main requirements as I don't have super fast lenses)

Quite simply, stunning piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 60D - Excellent Buy., 17 Dec 2010
Mr. S. Newbury "Galleons" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I boughts the Canon 60D to replace my out of date Olympus equipment. I was reluctant at first due to the increased size and weight but after a couple of weeks using the camera I have absolutely no regrets. It actually feels good to hold a camera of this size and quality. I dithered between the Canon 60D and the Nikon D7000 for a few weeks but after trying both out in a camera shop I am very pleased I opted for the Canon. I read all the On-Line reviews from the Nikon and Canon faithful and decided I really didn't need to know half of what they were discussing and that the Canon had everything an advanced amateur like me would need. I really like the articulated screen as this gives you so many possibilities when taking shots at low angles or when the camera is supported on a mini-tripod. I have owned both Nikon and Canon film camera's int he past and this is without doubt the best camera I have every owned. The other reviewers have gone into great detail about what it can do so I wont bother to say anymore other than I highly recommend you try it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all the right boxes, 8 Dec 2010
I bought this camera about two months after it was first released as I was looking to upgrade from my 50D mainly to take advantage of the new video features in the likes of the 550d and the 7d.

While the 60d is essentially a downgrade of the 50d I found that is still had all of the features I was looking for. The camera is a good size, has fast fps and takes great video.

I was initially a bit hesitant about buying an SLR with a moveable screen but having recently come back from Paris on holiday I can say that for taking pictures it is a great help. Just flip the screen out, hold the camera out in front of you and take a picture of you and the misses. No more having to flag down a stranger and explain to them how to work the camera. Although you will need to make sure that you are looking at the lens instead of the screen when the picture is taking as I took a few where we seem to be looking somewhere else.

For video it is great as well as you can move the camera into some interesting angles or oven hold it above everyone if you're in a crowd. Similarly you can angle the screen should the sun be shining although I never had any problem with glare etc but I have found though that the camera strap gets in the way of the screen when it is flipped out.

I know there are a lot of people out there moaning about this camera using SD cards. I personally quite liked the fact, my compact camera uses SD cards and my macbook and imac all have a built in SD card reader so it saves my from having to buy two different types of cards and to carry around a card reader. I have used class 6 cards in this camera with no problem but many suggest to use the faster class 10.

The new locking mode dial I thought was a bit strange at first as I have never accidentally changed mode but it is something that you just get used to.

The buttons on the camera do feel different from the likes of the 50d where you got a solid click but on the 60d it is a sort of mushy feel.

Picture quality is excellent but I am not one of those guys that pixel peeps but I have had great pictures up to ISO 3200. Similarly the video quality is excellent and after the small learning curve of shooting videos on manual I am getting great results. For those of you using macs and iMovie you can just port the videos straight in without have to do any converting.

The other feature I have liked is the remote flash feature. I used to have a set of pocketwizards but due to this new feature I have been able to sell these. Sure the distance is nowhere near that of PW but for occasional portrait shoots I have found it to work very well.

I have given this 4 stars as I think there will never be a perfect camera for everyone but this does tick a lot of the boxes for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 60d, 15 July 2013
I bought this camera as an upgrade from my previous Canon which was the entry level EOS 1000d. I loved that camera and it produced some fantastic images but I was starting to reach it's limits and needed to upgrade. The problem is then how far to go up the ladder. The 600d etc are great cameras but didn't really seem to offer enough of an upgrade for me, particularly in terms of size, useability and feel. The 60d offered what I felt was the best compromise of semi-pro size, the LCD screen on top, which is hugely helpful and the overall feel of quality. Images will be pretty much identical between the 600d and a 60d but the 60d seems so much nicer to use. Silly things like the sound of the shutter make all the difference and make this a beautiful camera to use. The quality difference between this and my 1000d is huge and I'm loving using it. For me the limit is when you start to make money out of your photography. At that point I would say invest in a 7d or above but until then I can't imagine that many people would need anything more than what this camera offers. In terms of bang for buck, this camera is the best on offer. If you're torn between the 600d and the 60d go for the 60d otherwise you'll end up regretting not stretching that little bit further. I know that I've now got a camera that will last me for many years before feeling the need to step up.