5.0 out of 5 stars Great mid-range DSLR
OK, I had a Canon EOS 400D that had served me well for nearly 3 years (and I had a 300D before that) and was looking to upgrade it, but I couldn't decide between a 550D or a much more expensive 7D. Then the 60D was launched and from the reviews I read, it filled the gap perfectly between the two. As ever, launch pricing was really toppy at over 1k but I took the plunge...
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by Lumpster

2.0 out of 5 stars grip came off as soon as I took it out of the box
The 60D was my second dslr in the space of a couple of weeks. The 1st being a Pentax K7 that went back for refund to Jessops because of purple and green banding on pictures. I decided to spend more money and order the 60D from Amazon because I've used Canon 35mm film cameras for years with no problems.

However, I didn't shoot a single frame with the 60D because...
Published on 3 Feb 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 60d, 15 July 2013
I bought this camera as an upgrade from my previous Canon which was the entry level EOS 1000d. I loved that camera and it produced some fantastic images but I was starting to reach it's limits and needed to upgrade. The problem is then how far to go up the ladder. The 600d etc are great cameras but didn't really seem to offer enough of an upgrade for me, particularly in terms of size, useability and feel. The 60d offered what I felt was the best compromise of semi-pro size, the LCD screen on top, which is hugely helpful and the overall feel of quality. Images will be pretty much identical between the 600d and a 60d but the 60d seems so much nicer to use. Silly things like the sound of the shutter make all the difference and make this a beautiful camera to use. The quality difference between this and my 1000d is huge and I'm loving using it. For me the limit is when you start to make money out of your photography. At that point I would say invest in a 7d or above but until then I can't imagine that many people would need anything more than what this camera offers. In terms of bang for buck, this camera is the best on offer. If you're torn between the 600d and the 60d go for the 60d otherwise you'll end up regretting not stretching that little bit further. I know that I've now got a camera that will last me for many years before feeling the need to step up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, versatile and takes great pictures, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
The 60D was my first DSLR, having exhausted the possibilities of my Canon G10. Having had it for about a year now, I'm happy to say that I'm very pleased I got it. It has travelled with me around Norway and the USA and I have shot some commercial events on it and it has performed very well. The picture quality has been excellent across all lenses I've used, particularly in good light.

Although the plastic body might worry some people I've found it to be very solidly constructed. The nine-point AF system is fast and accurate, although it does struggle in very low light. I found the button layout to be excellent, with everything within easy reach. The top LCD panel is very handy when out shooting sunrises etc., although it's a shame the timer display for bulb mode is only shown on top as you can't get to this in the dark without ruining a shot. Not a big problem though - I just use the timer on my phone. I've also found the swivel screen to be very useful. It is much better placed than similar screens on other brands as it swivels out to the side rather than underneath. It's saved me a lot of backache when shooting for long periods on a tripod, as I don't have to stoop down to see the LCD properly. It's a shame that the swivel screen hasn't been introduced to Canon's higher end bodies yet, although I guess that weather sealing might have something to do with this.

Fortunately, I've not encountered any of the problems that some of the 1 and 2 star reviewers have found. I use a rotating set of around 8 SD cards and have never had a problem with the camera not recognising them. I did have one instance of a card corrupting, but I think that's down to a combination of poor maintenance of my part and a less-than-fantastic quality SD card in the first place. Nor have I come across any error messages at all.

The camera's not perfect though. My biggest complaint is with its low light performance. It certainly blows my old G10 out of the water in this respect - as it should do - but I've found that when shooting at anywhere approaching or beyond ISO 800 it introduces too much noise for my liking. This has never been a massive problem for me as the lenses I'm using are either fast enough or have good enough image stabilisation that I rarely need to go beyond ISO 400, but there are times, particularly when trying to capture sharp starry skies that it's clear the camera is not quite up to it.

My other main gripe is with the lack of weather sealing. I didn't think it would be a problem as I've used my compact and bridge cameras sparingly in light rain before without any issues, but I've found on several occasions that getting this body caught in even a little rain can lead to problems - in my case, the centre select button refused to function, leaving me unable to change many settings or, importantly, format SD cards. This has only ever been a temporary issue though, with everything returning to normal after eight hours or so of drying out.

If you're looking for a mid-range DSLR I would strongly recommend the 60D.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible step forward, 1 Mar 2012
I moved up from my entry level DSLR and decided to go all out for my A level photography course, after a previous 3 years experience shooting with DSLR's and other cameras. I did a lot of research obviously, when spending this amount of money you have to! but no video or review could have appropriately summarised the capabilities of this camera.

Everytime i shoot i am surprised. the sheer quality of images and detail, depth of focus, control in colour tone, exposure, are all at your finger tips with a brilliant well thought out menu. Shooting in full manual is a pleasure and leagues easier than my previous camera.

Solid build quality feels great in the hands and is just the right size for myself and is no problem carrying around for the day with this lens. only flaw i have found with build quality is the battery panel, feels a little loose with no spring but not to the point it would fall off. And the vari-angle screen works wonders for getting down low and exploring every angle to your subject. although autofocus is somewhat slower in live view, (optical viewfinder is incredibly quick and bright for AF) the bright and well informed screen allows for incredibly easy manual focusing and is well though out layout wise.

The lens itself is brilliantly built, with a great IS system that allows you to shoot handheld in a surprising range of conditions. It feels great to use and is perfect for Videoing with fast and precise manual focus ring. takes some getting used to , but there is no zoom slip or focus slip so works great on a tripod.

I shoot mainly with a 50mm F/1.4 and the results are incredible image quality wise. the full 1080p Recording and 18mp 3000x5000 or so image size provides incredible detail, and again, every time i get my images on the computer i am just surprised as to how well it handles harsh light (natural and in studio) and how detailed they are.

The various customisable scene settings allows great flexibility and can be used for any type of photography imaginable, with the 5fps High speed continuous even allowing for some sport photography, especially with this fast autofocusing lens in most conditions.

Overall this camera has been an incredible investment, and has allowed me to go beyond previous limitations that hindered my capabilities. its moved onto a new level of image quality and the professional feel and look to images is pleasing and i am able to do great things in any situation with this camera. i would not reccomned this for anyone new to DSLR photography or Videography , purely for the mass of controls there is to the camera. anyone new to this type of shooting would be best with the canon 600d, as the extra 300 or so would not be worth forking out for a beginners camera.

But to anyone who has a creative eye and a desire to take their photography a step further, you will not be disappointed, and with the massive range of accessories available, you will feel no need to change this camera for a long time to come.

Sorry for such an unstructured review, but i feel its necessary to at least attempt to express the absolute pleasure it is to use this camera and how simply astounding an image can be when done right on this camera, and to get it right it is by no means difficult, on a powerhouse of a camera like this

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 7 Feb 2012
Peter Storr (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
This camera is worth every penny. its easy to use, manipulate, handle and has loads of useful tricks up its sleave. And then the photos you get out the other end are amazing. the batteries last for weeks, the images are massively detailed and the fold out screen is just the icing on the cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
I've had this camera for only a couple of days now and I have to say that I think it is excellent. I have upgraded from a 450D which isn't a bad camera at all but this pretty much blows it into the weeds. The quality of pictures from this camera is excellent with colours bright and crisp without being unnatural. The vari-angle screen is not just a gimmick for me, as I like to shoot Macro shots which sometimes means getting down and dirty, but with the vari-angle screen, no more back ache. The screen is an excellent quality and really gives a clear idea of what your pictures will look like. The menu can be a little daunting at first but if you spend time to familiarise yourself with it, then it soon becomes clear. My only minor grip is the control wheel on the back. I have big hands which was one of many reasons I chose this so the wheel feels a little awkward to use, especially with the multiway selection button sitting in the middle of it. I tend not to use the wheel but others might like it. I've only played with the video for a few minutes but again, first impressions are excellent with the quality being full HD and the sound pretty good too. All in all, I'm very pleased and glad I purchased it and I would recommend it to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, 9 Jun 2012
G. J. Perkins "Dragon 59" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera about 2 months ago after spending time with a fuji hS 20 exr which is a very good bridging camera but like all compacts and bridging cameras the sensor size is the only thing that lets them down, but the canon 60 d is in another universe, it is vey versatile. It has the same quality as a 7d but with more options, it has the same sensor, you can use the same lenses, the 60d uses sd cards, (unlike the 7d) the tilt screen and display is very good, bright and clear.
The kit lenses are a good first set of lenses and very capable of capturing good quality pictures. I enjoy macro photography so I have also invested in a canon 60 and 100mm macro lenses that double up as very good portrait lenses, they are very very good. Please be aware that any DSLR camera is only as good as the glass on the front of the camera. Few people can spend lots of money on lenses, so look on the web for reviews and only get the lenses you want.
There is an option in live view ( taking photo's using the screen instead of the view finder) to zoom in to the subject/ scene by x5 and x10 time to get awesome clarity, try it is very good.
The ease of use is very good and it has all the point and shoot options as well as the professional modes, it takes RAW and JPEG shots and you can process the RAW photos in camera ! The battery lasts for about 1200 shots depending if you use the live view or view finder, more than enough for a days shooting.
This camera is not as heavy as the 7d but is not flimsy in any way, very good build quality. Hope this helps people with their choice Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera including EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm IS II Lens Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop up Flash issue - easily resolved, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
This is my second unit due to the pop up flash not working on the first 60D, both units arrived very fast and exchanging the faulty item was quick and painless with Amazon.
The problem with the flash represented with the replacement unit, this time I googled the problem and found that a slight adjustment made with a flat screwdriver to the hotshoe was all that was needed and the pop-up flash works fine now. See link below if you have this problem, there is no need to return the camera (wish I'd known the first time! Even Canon themselves were unable to identify the problem).

[...]

First impressions of the 60D (previously owned 400D) is that its a well made camera, with great functionability and flexibility. I was initially looking to buy the 550D but decided against that idea, jus look at the two cameras side by side and they are so different, cosmetically, build and function. I have just invested in 430EX Flash unit to complete my kit.

Update: after two years of using this product I still endorse this camera, the menus are not too perplexing after you get used to them. I have invested in several lenses, Canon (1)17-55 F2.8 IS, (2)24-105L F4 IS, and(3) 70-200L F4. You must remember that the lens you use makes probably the most difference to your pictures, colour saturations and clarity of detail are far superior in the dearer lenses. Batteries last a decent amount of time, I have travelled to Africa on several occasions, shooting approx 3000 shots a week (not using flash) and I tend to use about 2-2.5 batteries over two weeks! I love the controls on this camera and when you get used to it you can appreciate the way the camera has been set up for the user. It is also has a good weight, that doesnt mean its overly heavy but that it feels good and balanced even with heavy lenses attached. I have compared my pictures from Africa with those I have taken with my old 400D (using the same lenses)and detail IS superior. For those that enjoy shooting in RAW the camera allows on-board processing for RAW images. Add to this the low light capabilities of this camera makew it a good all-rounder for those like me that wanted a comprehensive package without having to take a step up to the 7D. Its size even though bigger than the 550D is not obstrusive or difficult to handle. I can shot with one hand when needed even with my heavy Canon 24-105L F4 lens attached and I am only 58kgs.
Another reason I have chosen Canon is the excellent secondhand lens market, lenses are expensive and most people look after them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's Excellent EOS 60D Bundle, 3 Jan 2011
Having recently entered back into the world of photography (as a hobby) following a brief 20 year absence, I thought it wise to invest in some kit which would deliver simple but functional benefit to a genuine gadgeteer like myself. In doing so I have to be honest and say that I am nothing but "over the moon" with my recent purchase of the Canon EOS 60D DSLR Bundle inc. EF-S 18-135mm Lens kit, and the accompanying Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens.

The camera packs in just about every feature the keen amateur (and gadgeteer) could want in a dSLR. It's robust build quality is something I would come to expect from a leader in this field, however the ability to record 1080p video, with it's swivel-and-tilt LCD screen aids low- and high-angle shooting - something not available on most of the competition which I considered.

The camera's response times are blink-of-an-eye quick. Flick the power switch and you can be up and shooting as quickly as you can bring your eye to the optical viewfinder and your forefinger to the shutter-release button. It's very satisfying. With the camera in autofocus mode, focus and exposure are likewise determined in an instant.

The shutter-release button is situated atop a large, well-moulded handgrip, around which you can comfortably wrap three fat fingers. The other controls, including the normal array of command dials, a scroll wheel and sundry dedicated function buttons, fall within reach of your right hand's forefinger or thumb. Consequently, operation feels fluid and natural.

The optical viewfinder is large and reasonably bright, so I don't find myself constantly squinting. A large LCD display on the top of the camera allows you to make key adjustments on the fly, such as altering the drive mode, metering and ISO speed. This saves you having to drill down into the menu system proper. Adjusting each setting merely requires a button press and a twist of a scroll wheel on the back of the camera. Very Easy indeed....

The more you play with the 60D, the clearer it becomes that Canon's made a real effort to make its semi-pro camera user-friendly.

One of the clearest indications of this is the 60D's flip-out, swivelling, vari-angle LCD screen (I mentioned above) with live view. It's a first for the EOS dSLR family. This 3-inch display has a 3:2 aspect ratio (rather than the standard 4:3) and a high resolution of 1,040,000 pixels. Thus, the screen appears lifelike in its clarity, and it does an excellent job of keeping up with the action as you pan and tilt the camera.

The anti-reflective and water-resistant screen proves very useful when framing either stills or 1080p video, thanks to its swivelling nature. Incidentally, the movie mode now has its own icon on the overly crowded shooting-mode dial. That's still a novelty for a dSLR.

All in all, the Canon EOS 60D is a pumped-up powerhouse of a digital SLR. It's crammed full of class-leading but consumer-friendly features (I've only been able to touch on them here), and it may be the only camera that an amateur photography enthusiast like me will ever need. If you're prepared to cough up the requisite dough, you're unlikely to be disappointed with the camera or the excellent service from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best crop sensor camera canon has to offer!, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Electronics)
Taking into consideration the rest of the canon crop sensor line up, mainly being the 70d (new 'replacement' of the 60d) and the four year old 7d. The 60d beats them both, currently being the owner of a 600d, 60d and a 7d i can make an educated evaluation of which is the better camera. Although the 7d is weather sealed and made of magnesium alloy and has a fantastic auto focus system, you have to remember the 600d, 60d and 7d all have the same 1.6x crop sensor. The 7d will get you an extra few frames per second (8 fps) the 60d produces 5.7 fps which in most situations is perfectly adequate. The quality the images is for the best part of the time the same, unless you get into pixel picking then you may notice a slight difference with the 7d. Considering that the target audience for these type of camera are more often than not arn't going to be using these camera for commercial work so there is not need for you to require masses of megapixel because you wont be producing huge prints, anything up to the size of a2 the sensors are more than capable. The 600d is lacking of performance compared to the 60d and 7d only shooting 3.6 fps and having a rather shocking auto focus system! the 60d is a huge step up regarding auto focus and fps, the 7d is just that little be better for very fast moving subjects. Build quality regarding the 60d is very solid, having a magnesium alloy frame and a fiber glass plastic resin outer, it feels fantastic and doesnt feel to heavy or large in the hands. The 7d is alot heavier and bigger, this doesnt really make it a suitable 'walk around' or traveling camera. the 7d doesnt have articulating screen so the 60d and 600d have another advantage on the 7d, this is ideal if you want to shoot video or take pictures from unconventional angles. The only down side i have found to the 60d is the buttons feel lacking is responsiveness.

In conclusion if you require the faster fps of the 7d and cant live with out having nearly 6fps with the 60d by all mean buy the 7d. if you dont require such an fps the 60d is the one for you. if you dont care for fast fps or a top lcd screen the 600d might be worth considering its great for still, macro and general photography. over all you'd be stupid not to buy the 60d unless you need a full frame then a 6d, 5d mk2 or 5d mk3 are really your only choices. Trust me and many others the 60d is remarkable and will suit a huge range of requirements, buy the 60d its fantastic. Pair it with some good glass and theres not stopping you. a few suggestion would be;
canon 17-40mm f4 L
canon 24-105mm f4 L
canon 18-135mm f4
sigma 10-22mm f3.5
sigma 18-35mm f1.8

You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebel on steroids, 18 Jun 2012
This is my followup camera from 400D (used for 4 years), and I have to say the it is simply brilliant.

Major differences for plus are:
- great ISO range, you can get usable pictures up to ISO 6400!
- much bigger viewfinder (pentaprism vs pentamirror in Rebels)
- much nicer LCD (tilt and swivel)
- very large buffer (about 16 RAW+JPEG images, 5 shots/second)
- great battery performance. I shot 800 images using external flash, and the battery still was showing as 40% full!!
- very comfortable to hold
- shots much more stable than with a smaller camera (added weight helps to stabilise the image)
- choice of RAW formats (SRAW, MRAW or full RAW) very useful, you can limit the heft of files significantly. I shoot using MRAW most of the time, as 10 megapixels is plenty for most uses.
- built in video of great quality (get an external mic if you're serious!)
- built in wireless trigger for external Speedlites - works a treat, makes you do not need a ETTL cable any more.

I shot my first wedding with this camera, 1700 pictures in one day - I have to think my old 400D would die during that day, not to mention it'd need about 4 battery packs, whereas I only used two in the 60D.

The only drawback so far is the fact that early models (mine is probably one of them) had too big rubber grips fitted (which resulted in them becoming loose). This can be fixed either by purchasing a replacement set, or just applying some adhesive. I'll do that once it becomes more irritating. It doesn't affect the handling or functionality though, and is forgivable.

AF in video mode isn't really usable (very loud), but that's more to do with noisy lenses than anything. It's also slow, but this isn't really a video camera.

People say that it's not really a X0D series camera due to the lack of weather sealing and AF microadjustments, but I found these things irrelevant for my usage.

Highly recommended!