on 20 March 2011
Got this printer a couple of days ago for use on my home network. So far it is great. I was a little worried about some of the negative reviews around but the great amazon price and the fact that Brother are currently offering significant cash back persuaded me to take a punt. I think these reviewers probably hadn't spent time understanding the printer! Once I had run the colour calibration, for example, colour and brightness appeared just fine. I use a Canon Pro9000 inkjet for my photography so photo reproduction is not a priority but is certainly very acceptable for a laser printer. B&W printing is very good. There has also been some negative comments about Brother colour laser printers refusing to print further once the page count for the toner has reached the perceived maximum with toner still available. This may be so but is easily sorted by resetting the toner count when needed. This is done through the toner reset menu found by simultaneously pressing the "secure" and "cancel" buttons on the printer whilst the toner door is open. My only very minor negatives so far are that when operating the printer can be rather noisy (but becomes silent in sleep mode) and that the printer is a bit bulkier than I was expecting (should have realised from the dimensions!)

All in all I am very pleased so far and happy to give 5 stars.

**** Just a quick update *****

After just less than a year I noticed white "specks" appearing in solid colour areas of prints. Looked at the drum and it was clear all colour drums (black ok) had a random pattern of dots on them corresponding to the white specks. I contacted Brother through their web site. The service guy quickly called me back and sent me a special cleaning sheet. This had no effect so they imediately offered to send someone round to take a look. The next day I got a phone call asking if I would be happy to replace the drum unit myself (very easy) so they sent one to me with no fuss. The only issue was that I could not reset the drum count (reset menu did not appear following the supplied instructions). This point was raised during a courtesy followup call from Brother. Another engineer called me back and problem solved. All in all brilliant service from Brother.
33 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2013
I've always before gone for the cheapest colour duplex laser I could find - I realise my mistake now. And this is comparing to Canon and Samsung units.

The Brother is slightly more - but take it from me, being able to use compatible cartridges pays that back several fold (even the first set of carts!!!).

The Canon and Samsung units I've had (1 x Canon, 2 x Samsung) have all objected to compatible cartridges - and with a genuine set running at over £400 that is a severe pain in the backside!

This Brother not only did more pages on the supplied set, but it has (well, so far) taken the compatible carts (£80 for a set with an extra black) with no problems - OK I don't do photo quality printing but presentation work is perfect. It sits on an ethernet port on the router and is just "there". The Canon was so temperamental about the network connection that I had a backup USB cable when it just plain refused to print).

Duplex, booklet, all no problem - my wife has not complained about it (and that is praise indeed!).

My only bug bear (and this is being hyper critical) is that the remaining toner indicator on the printer isn't particularly accurate, and to print out the status page takes 3 pages (or maybe there is a way to only printer the toner status but I haven't found it yet). Also, if you let a toner get low to the point it refuses to print, then replacing the cart doesn't restart printing. There's a "hidden" reset menu which fixed it, but it had me worried for a while (Google it!)

Would I buy one again - for sure (hopefully I won't have to too soon), would I recommend to a friend (or anyone!) - again, for sure.
on 5 March 2012
After 5 years our trust Dell Colour Laser has given up the ghost. So time to buy a new one.

Have been searching around, looking for another colour laser that preferably could print double sided (duplex) when I saw this Brother at quite a heafty discount to recommended selling price. It seems to offer everything I was looking for, colour, duplex, relatively decent print speed and not to big and hefty either.

Placed the order on Thursday, and the printer arrived on Saturfday so delivery not bad (but not the 1 day as promised !)

Setting up is a breeze, clear instructions as to which protective items need to be moved after shipping.

Simply put the CD into the computer, install the software/drivers, plug the printer in and away yuo go. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

Print quality is good and unlike my old dell which had a rotating drum to house the toner (making life difficult if you want to change them) the Brother has all 4 toner cartridges in a pull out draw.

The software interface for the printer is easy to use so selecting single or double sided printing is a breeze.

All in all very happy with my purchase so far, lets see how it copes in the coming days/weeks.

Would definitely recommend so far.
on 1 February 2013
First impressions: I've only had this printer up and running for a day but I have to say that for the current Amazon price of ~£200 combined with the £100 cashback offer from Brother this seems to be a bargain - ~£100 for a serious looking laser printer including all 4 normal yield toner cartridges (2000 pages for the black cartridge, 1500 pages for each of the 3 colour cartridges). Compared to my previous mono laser printer this is much faster and higher quality (even just for black text) and includes both wired networking and auto duplex which is a bonus. The only downside is the amount of space it needs, but if you have room I'd recommend this over the smaller 'SOHO' printers on the market. I haven't tried printing out any photos (I didn't buy the printer for that and don't expect a laser printer to rival a good inkjet for photos, especially not on cheap 80 gsm paper) but for text and basic business graphics (diagrams, presentations, etc) this seems spot on.

10 months later: It's still going strong; I've printed 886 pages of mostly colour business documents (reports, diagrams, presentations, etc so some colour on each page but mostly black text) without a single jam or issue and I have ~55% of the black toner and ~60% of each of the coloured toners left which means the black toner life is pretty much bang on as advertised and the colour toner is doing better than advertised for my particular workload. I've had no issue printing from various windows PCs (Windows XP, 7 and 8) as well as my Android phone, using the official Brother app.
on 11 March 2013
I had a Canon colour Laser for 6 years but this was a cheaper option than a repair to the Canon. The Brother is quite noisy when it starts but not too bad when running and silent when it sleeps. Compatible toners are a good price on Amazon. I found the colour pictures to be too dark and after playing with the colour settings have settled increasing the individual RGB settings each to +20 and the contrast to +5. This appears to me to have a different effect to just increasing the brightness, I think creates lighter colours but leaves the blacks more dense. I normally use Xerox Colortech+ paper and get acceptable results. The paper handling is fine, the duplexer works well, the envelope feeder works better than the Canon.

I have been using the printer for around three months now and I am still very pleased with it. I have replaced the toners with compatible ones supplied by Prestige Cartridge and the resultant prints appear the same.
on 2 October 2013
I was very happy with this printer for the first 6 months, it prints duplex, wifi set up is simple and it's great to have colour printing. A little noisy but I could live with that.
Unfortunately I have moved office a few times in the last couple of weeks and every time I move the printer, there are more and more splotches all over the printing. It was just clearing up from the last lot of marks when I moved 2 weeks ago, but the office was temporary, and now I've got dots all over the printing again. You certainly couldn't issue professional paperwork on it. I have been sent cleaning instructions from Brother but it has a long list of what cleaning products not to use and doesn't actually tell you what you can use to clean the drum!
Would think twice before buying another printer like this, I had an old HP LaserJet that I took all over the place with no problem.
on 10 July 2013
We are very pleased with this printer for many reasons:

1. The quality and speed of the printing is excellent.

2. The duplexing function works flawlessly.

3. Brother gives you very rare FREEDOM of CHOICE with consumables. You can use Brother branded, third-party reconditioned or you can refill the toner cartridges (with some small extra effort) yourself. The Brother branded cartridges are reasonably priced in any case. There are no insidious "chips" or other such nonsense in the toner cartridges. This open and fair approach is better for users and better for the environment.

4. Brother also gives you FREEDOM of CHOICE with your computer type. It works perfectly with Microsoft Windows computers, Macintosh computers and Linux computers, and also most smartphones. It is the most "compatible" printer brand I have known and again this seems to be part of the Brother user-friendly philosophy.

5. The networking is very easy to configure and can even e-mail you notices if you wish about toner, paper etc.

Astonishingly good value for the initial purchase price, but it also REMAINS good value because of the freedom with consumables and the industry leading compatibility. It is an especially good way to avoid the "vendor lock-in" so ugly and prevalent in the printer marketplace. By allowing me choice, Brother have ensured their place as my preferred supplier of printers and consumables.

Very highly recommended.

Tip for purchasers: When installing this printer, make sure you remove all the orange plastic transit bits etc. from inside the printer before attempting use! The instructions that come in the box are clear and easy to follow.
on 14 December 2011
I bought this printer because of the competitive price, Brother's reputation, and the generally good feedback from other users. After calibrating the colour, I am certainly not disappointed with it, even though photographs do look better printed on inkjets or (unsurprisingly) a pricier laser machine. It looks to be a great workhorse for my small office, and so is exactly what I wanted. The built-in double-sided printing feature is excellent and easy to use. It's heavy and a large size, but I expected that anyway. What I did not expect was the appalling service from Yodel, the delivery company. Yodel are a complete and utter disaster - a poor and negligent service with terrible messaging. On Friday, their website stated that my box was loaded on a van and in transit from the local depot (which is incidentally 10 minutes drive up the road), and that delivery would be between 7am and 9pm (!). So I waited in all day. It did not arrive. I called Yodel the next day and they said that a box in transit on a van from a local depot does NOT mean that it is out for delivery (!), and that there was no Saturday delivery. So, after presumably being taken on a nice drive around London, it would be delivered on Monday. By chance, I happened to be in on Sunday, and the delivery man unexpectedly arrived in an unmarked yellow van. He roughly threw and bumped the box around from van to door despite clearly seeing it contained a laser printer. I dread to think what happened to it as it was transferred from amazon's depot, based on witnessing that. Truly terrible. Why do you use Yodel, amazon? Please stop!
on 16 October 2013
I decided to take the plunge and get a colour laser after a not too good experience with continuous ink supply system for my canon pixma (I will never touch CISS systems again - but that's another story!) I had a brother mono laser and had been very pleased so I did some research and this one came up well - I paid £182 for it the other week and it came quickly from Germany - - with German instructions - I just went to brother website and downloaded the English versions. Very easy to install and although it doesn't have Airprint you can down load the brother iprint app from the app store and it picks up the printers on the network straight away, allowing you to print directly from your mobile devices - brilliant.
The cartridges are reasonable - - I ordered a set of 4 + extra black Prestige compatible cartridges for under £70!
Be warned though check you have the room from the dimensions as it is fairly large and the weight of the device is 20+kg and including the packaging is 25Kg - delivery man brought it on a sack truck! I had to haul it up two flights to my attic room.
Maybe it would be even better if it was wireless but as I have a wired network that wasn't an issue.
I will update this review in 6 months.
on 5 February 2013
I am running this printer from the last few days; so far I am very impressed. This is high quality printer. The print output is as good as the very expensive Canon printer in my office. As some other reviewers have mentioned, the current Amazon price of £200 combined with the £100 cash back offer from Brother, this is a no brainier. Only thing I can complain is that there is a lot plastic used in the build, but for that matter for this price I don't expect it to build of aluminium either.