5.0 out of 5 stars Ralph and Revd Thunder, a great combination, 29 Oct 2010
steveacoustic (Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
This is billed as Ralph's first collection of original material for ten years, a typically modest undersell which should not overlook his reworking and rediscovery of some classic country blues and rags, Dylan and Guthrie material during that time (check out 'National Treasure' and 'Gates of Eden') and the autobiographical 'As Far As I can Tell'). He's been busy...

And this is indeed a cracker of an album. My favourite piece is Revd. Thunder, a wonderful tribute to the great Revd Gary Davis, blues and gospel picker extraordinaire. I'd defy anyone, from the first note, not to start tapping their toes and singin' along. And, as is characteristic of Ralph's songs and indeed the rest of this album, it has a narrative - sad, poignant, human, hopeful and ultimately uplifting. Ralph McTell stands head and shoulders above other ragtime and blues acoustic players because he's not just technically proficient but hugely entertaining with it and always adds an element of feel-good.

Great artwork on the packaging and notes too. 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Classic from a Timeless Artist, 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
It never ceases to amaze me how Ralph McTell continues to create great CDs that are both fresh and unmistakeably his. Ralph is always good to listen to and, if you get the chance, to see perform live. I bought this after hearing him sing several of the tracks in concert a couple of months ago, and thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere down the road, 7 Dec 2010
A. Pick - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
For anyone who grew up with Ralph McTells early work then this album is just like meeting an old friend, and from the first track you just know it's going to be a pleasure to listen to. Nothing revolutionary, and perhaps not some of the early social comment that were present in his early years. His guitar playing is superb and overall this is a good competent album. If you like or have previously enjoyed his work - buy it - it will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars His No1 Album, 17 Dec 2010
Chris Waywell "cjwaywell" (Warrington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
For me this is Ralphs best Album ever. Obviously we all rave on about Spiral Staircase but that was then and this is now. I not only bought this CD but I went to the concert, listened to Ralph play the tracks live whilst exlaining them to everyone and then I bought the CD, stood in a queue and met Ralph in person.

He was a little taken aback when I jokingly said "it's all his fault" to my wife, then added, "that i've been playing folk guitar for the past 30 years". So I then did a copy of it for use in the car and have played the CD whilst driving to and from work each day.

I like every track and the more I listen to it the more I like it. I consider myself lucky to have a signed copy as Ralph is a legend. A lot of young people have never heard of Ralph so he's drifted in and out of fame, but for anyone who likes folk music he is always going to be well loved almost like a part of the family.

If you ever get a chance to see his concert it is outstanding as is this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's still got it!, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
I have bough many Ralph McTell recordings over the past 40 years. He never let's you down, although his early LPs are overrated. 'Not till Tomorrow' is his best and is a classic.This CD is a fine varied collection of songs written by Ralph and played and sung in his own very comfortable style. There are no bad tracks and a few are very nostalgiac, which is not surprising given he's getting on now! Although not as fine as it used to be, his voice remains strong. All McTell fans and fans of good folk music will enjoy this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mature and engaging, 7 Dec 2010
I had the good fortune to Ralph in concert before I bought the album and that certainly helped me to see the origin and meaning of each track to him. While I understand that it's his first original album in a while I think it's true to say that it continues a strong thread of sensitively written and sung songs. Yes, I certainly would recommend the album, particularly if you are prepared to listen and share his perspective on his own experiences through life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant new recording of well crafted songs, 7 Sep 2010
P. F. Matthews "Paul Matthews" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
I recieved my cd of the new Ralph Mctell cd last week and I must say it it up to the very high standard that you would expect from one of the UK's most respected singer-songwriters.
This is a cd I found that grows on you with repeated listening.
A worthy addition to his cannon of work. A joy to listen to!
The tracks are as follows:

1. The London Apprentice
2. Reverend Thunder (Blind Faith)
3. Walk into the Morning
4. Around the Wild Cape Horn
5. The Ghost of Robert Johnson
6. Rosalinda
7. The Break of the Union
8. Cannabis Creek
9. One Sunny Day (Aujour D'Hui Le Ciel East Bleu)
10. Moon June and a Cajun Tune
11. A Kiss in the Rain
12. The Girl on the Jersey Ferry
13. Lantern Slides
14. Somewhere Down the Road

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY STUNNING ....................!!!!!!, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
I agree with one other reviewer here, in that my favourite track is Rev. Thunder,

but then again, the album is good throughout anyway.

Lets face it, there aren't many left of the calibre of Ralph Mctell, who are still

'on the road' ,and entertaining and moving us with some dazzling guitar playing,

and some fabulous amusing and moving songs and stories.

If you get the chance to see him live .......DO SO - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic McTell!, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
Ralph McTell is in classic form on this, his latest album.

First and foremost, the songs are strong, McTell at his story-telling best.

The "icing on the cake" comes in the form of the arrangements, which for me are ideal. Entirely acoustic, save for a tasteful, gentle electric guitar on the title track, the arrangements are pared down to the minimum necessary to accompany McTell's own guitar or, on occasion, his voice. Piano, accordion, harmonica, strings - all are gorgeous. There are few drums, the percussion is gentle and perfectly suited to the mood of the particular songs.

The focus, then, is on McTell's songs, his guitar and his voice. And, on this form, you need no more!

This is one warm embrace of an album! Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I have heard this year, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Somewhere Down The Road (Audio CD)
Best album I've heard this year so far,... every track tells a story,... Is he a poet, a story teller, or a song writer or perhaps all three, the unique fingerstyle playing is so complex yet sounds so simple and so right...a true artisan may he go on forever cant wait to see him live at Truro

Somewhere Down The Road
Somewhere Down The Road by Ralph McTell (Audio CD - 2010)